|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Happy Return.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hornblower do when the Natividad is first sighted?
(a) calls a beat to quarters
(b) fires the cannonades at Natividad
(c) hoists the sails
(d) unconcernedly asks some officers to dinner and plays cards
2. Although Hornblower is reluctant to take Lady Barbara aboard Lydia, and instantly dislikes her, why does he agree to let her seek passage home aboard his ship?
(a) He thinks the ship needs a woman's touch
(b) He has pity on her because of the plague in Panama
(c) He fears insulting a British aristocrat would end his career
(d) He is attracted to her physically though he dislikes her
3. What is Maria, Hornblower's wife's attitude toward sailors?
(a) Maria feared them for their rowdiness and rough ways
(b) Maria was loyal to any seaman because of her husband.
(c) Maria felt it was a romantic profession.
(d) She had a poor opinion of them.
4. Hornblower is ordered to go to the palace of whom?
(a) Jesus de Natividad
(b) El Supremo
(c) Hernando Alvarez
(d) Manuel Hernandez
5. What did the flag that Natividad now flew look like?
(a) blue with a yellow star in the middle
(b) black with a red star in the middle
(c) yellow with a blue star in the middle
(d) green with a yellow star in the middle
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Lady Barbara take up residence aboard Lydia, displacing the person who resided there before?
2. What was the only land Hornblower had had a glimpse of during the seven-month voyage?
3. What does Hornblower order the surgeon to give to the wounded men?
4. How long after sighting the Horn had Hornblower brought Lydia to her destination?
5. Where did Hornblower take Lydia to be repaired?
This section contains 324 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)