|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Happy Return.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Although Hornblower is reluctant to take Lady Barbara aboard Lydia, and instantly dislikes her, why does he agree to let her seek passage home aboard his ship?
(a) He has pity on her because of the plague in Panama
(b) He thinks the ship needs a woman's touch
(c) He is attracted to her physically though he dislikes her
(d) He fears insulting a British aristocrat would end his career
2. What garments did Lady Barbara think suited Hornblower?
(a) his naval jacket and trousers
(b) his dress clothes
(c) the daily clothes we wore on deck
(d) tarpaulins and sou'wester
3. How many years did Sir James Saumarez spend in continuous warfare?
4. How did Hornblower fear Gerard would view his romance with Lady Barbara?
(a) with fear
(b) with envy
(c) with revenge
(d) with amusement
5. What is Maria, Hornblower's wife's attitude toward sailors?
(a) She had a poor opinion of them.
(b) Maria was loyal to any seaman because of her husband.
(c) Maria felt it was a romantic profession.
(d) Maria feared them for their rowdiness and rough ways
Short Answer Questions
1. Hornblower is ordered to go to the palace of whom?
2. How is Lydia damaged during the fierce sea battle with Natividad?
3. What did the flag that Natividad now flew look like?
4. What season did Lydia leave behind?
5. What is Hornblower's destination after leaving El Supremo and his rag tag army in Nicaragua?
This section contains 325 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)