|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did May "talk of" that John found "deepened the strangeness to see her" in Chapter 4?
2. What does John have a "dreadful sense" of in Chapter 5?
3. Where does John say his time with May moved him more than his impressions of?
4. What does John say had only been smothered, but still throbbed and could bleed?
5. Which of the following items are not mentioned by John as not being as sharp as his time with May in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the nature of the character May Bartram in the book. What role might the author be hoping for her to play in the book's overall theme?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the concept of fate in the book. What does fate represent to the characters of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the concept of the self-fulfilling prophecy in the book. Which character represents this the most?
This section contains 191 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)