|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say May's name on her headstone did to John in Chapter 6?
2. What does the narrator say John was dependent on after he decides to live in Chapter 6?
3. How is the cemetery in which May was buried in London described in Chapter 5?
4. What does John say he will profit extraordinarily little from in Chapter 5?
5. What does John believe May did to him in order to save him according to his thoughts in Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the nature of May's illness in the book. What role did her illness have in John's self-discovery?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of grief in the book. What does grief represent to the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the nature of John and May's dialogue in the book. What does their conversations with one another say about the nature of their relationship?
This section contains 191 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)