|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does John give for getting up from his seat in May's house in Chapter 5?
2. What does John say had only been smothered, but still throbbed and could bleed?
3. Complete this sentence: "I believe you; but I can't begin to _______ I understand."
4. Which of the following people are not mentioned by John as being in May's chamber as she lay dying in Chapter 5?
5. What does John say his "jungle" has been thrashed to in Chapter 5?
Essay Topic 1
Examine John's role as the watcher in the book. What downfalls came from this role? What purpose does the author have for presenting John in such a role?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of egotism in the book. What repercussions came from egotistic behavior? What might the author be saying about those possessing an egotistic outlook?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the use of play imagery in the book. What purpose might the author have for presenting the story in such a way?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)