|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Finish this sentence: "It seems to me I liked it better present, as you say, than I can like it absent with your _________."
2. Why does John say he wouldn't make it known that May had been watching him in Chapter 5?
3. Where does John visit the day he comes home from his travels?
4. Who comes into the room where May and John are having their conversation near the end of Chapter 4?
5. How does the narrator describe the truth once John discovers his love for May in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the concept of love represented in the book. What does love seem to represent to the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the use of play imagery in the book. What purpose might the author have for presenting the story in such a way?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the concept of fearing the unknown in the book.
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)