|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What age is the man that John sees in the cemetery mourning in Chapter 6?
2. What words does John use to describe May's appearance near the beginning of Chapter 4?
3. What does John tell May he could "face" if he knew her idea of what his secret is in Chapter 4?
4. Where does John visit the day he comes home from his travels?
5. Complete the sentence: "I thought of _______ things, between which it was difficult to choose; and so must you have done."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the concept of fate in the book. What does fate represent to the characters of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the separation of John and May in Chapter 4. What significance does this separation hold?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the use of play imagery in the book. What purpose might the author have for presenting the story in such a way?
This section contains 180 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)