|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does May do when John places his hand on the arm of her chair in Chapter 5?
2. How is the cemetery in which May was buried in London described in Chapter 5?
3. What does John say he will profit extraordinarily little from in Chapter 5?
4. What are the items of furniture in the room where May and John visit in Chapter 4?
5. What does the narrator say gave John the few square feet of earth that he could live on?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of grief in the book. What does grief represent to the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the nature of May's illness in the book. What role did her illness have in John's self-discovery?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of egotism in the book. What repercussions came from egotistic behavior? What might the author be saying about those possessing an egotistic outlook?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)