|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does May suggest what the narrator describes as "perhaps but the expectation--or at any rate the sense of danger, familiar to so many people?"
2. How many years does May say it has been since her first meeting with the narrator?
3. What does John attribute as the reason for May being named the successor of her aunt's estate?
4. What does John say caused the gap to fill up and supplied the missing link?
5. What does May say was the "incident" that caused her to "seek refuge" when she had met the narrator for the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of John's pondering about the secret he has shared with May in Chapter 2?
2. What is the nature of John's talk of time and fate near the end of Chapter 3?
3. How does John describe his and May's treatment of the subject of his secret in Chapter 3?
4. How does John describe the day he visited May for her birthday in Chapter 2?
5. How is May's funeral described in Chapter 5?
6. How does the narrator describe the speech between John and May at the beginning of Chapter 1?
7. How does John say he feels about May spending so much of her life concerned with his secret in Chapter 3?
8. What type of things does the narrator describe May does with the guests of the luncheon in Chapter 1?
9. In what way does John say the "Beast" had "sprung" near the end of Chapter 6?
10. Describe John's opinion of May after she reveals that she doesn't know the true nature of his secret but rather what it is not in Chapter 5.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the concept of the self-fulfilling prophecy in the book. Which character represents this the most?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the obsessive behavior exhibited by John in the book. What reasons can be given for his motivations for being so obsessive?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the concept of fearing the unknown in the book.
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)