|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the last name of the family May says she was staying with when she met the narrator?
2. What is May's last name?
3. What words does the narrator use to describe the items being shown to the visitors of the house?
4. What does John say "opened his mouth betimes" and "would count a compensation and profit?"
5. How many years does May say it has been since her first meeting with the narrator?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does John describe his "illumination" in regards to his secret in Chapter 6?
2. How does John describe his and May's last meeting in Chapter 5?
3. How does May respond when John asks if she thinks he is afraid near the end of Chapter 2?
4. How does May describe the day she and John met to him in Chapter 1?
5. In what way does John say the "Beast" had "sprung" near the end of Chapter 6?
6. How does the narrator describe the speech between John and May at the beginning of Chapter 1?
7. How does John react towards May when she asks him if he remembers the nature of their conversation the first time they met in Italy?
8. What is the nature of May and John's outings in London as described in Chapter 2?
9. What is the nature of the exchange between John and May at the end of Chapter 4?
10. How does John say he feels about May spending so much of her life concerned with his secret in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the nature of the character May Bartram in the book. What role might the author be hoping for her to play in the book's overall theme?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the character John Marcher in the book. What role might the author be hoping for this character to represent in terms of society in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Examine John's role as the watcher in the book. What downfalls came from this role? What purpose does the author have for presenting John in such a role?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)