|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John tell May he often wonders if it's fair in Chapter 2?
2. In what city do May and John meet up in for their visits in Chapter 2?
3. What does John say is a bigger failure than to be bankrupt, dishonored, pilloried or hanged?
4. What does John suggest had lost itself in the desert?
5. What does May tell the narrator she will do with him at the end of Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of the first "surprise" mentioned by John after he has learned of May's illness in Chapter 3?
2. What is the nature of John and May's discussion after she tells him the thing he had been waiting for had come in Chapter 5?
3. How does May respond when John asks if she thinks he is afraid near the end of Chapter 2?
4. What is John's reaction when May asks if it's her intimacy in question in Chapter 3?
5. What is the nature of John's realization in regards to passion in Chapter 6?
6. How does the narrator describe the speech between John and May at the beginning of Chapter 1?
7. What is the nature of May and John's discussion regarding "the thing" near the end of Chapter 1?
8. What is the nature of John and May's conversation regarding his being able to face "the worst of it" in Chapter 4?
9. How does John react after learning of May's illness in Chapter 3?
10. What is the nature of John's pondering about the secret he has shared with May in Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of egotism in the book. What repercussions came from egotistic behavior? What might the author be saying about those possessing an egotistic outlook?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the concept of fate in the book. What does fate represent to the characters of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the concept of the self-fulfilling prophecy in the book. Which character represents this the most?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)