|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does May do when John places his hand on the arm of her chair in Chapter 5?
(a) Holds it.
(b) Kisses it.
(c) Pushes it away.
(d) Puts her hand on his.
2. What does John say he will profit extraordinarily little from in Chapter 5?
(a) May's death.
(b) His fortune.
(c) May's fortune.
(d) May's interest in him.
3. What does the narrator say John had known the world to be at the beginning of Chapter 6?
(a) Hard and painful.
(b) Happy and sad.
(c) Vulgar and vain.
(d) Dark and bleak.
4. What is the first thing John asks May in regards to learning more about her opinion of his secret in Chapter 4?
(a) If he will be happy.
(b) If he will suffer.
(c) If he will find peace.
(d) If he will be sad.
5. During what month does John visit May at the beginning of Chapter 4?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John claim he was afraid of during his conversation with May in Chapter 4?
2. What did May "talk of" that John found "deepened the strangeness to see her" in Chapter 4?
3. What does the narrator say May's grave was John's one witness to in Chapter 6?
4. What impenetrable object is used to describe May as the picture of serenity and exquisiteness in Chapter 4?
5. Where does John sit after leaving May's house at the beginning of Chapter 5?
This section contains 245 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)