|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many years does May say it has been since her first meeting with the narrator?
2. What "excavation" does May say she and the narrator took "refuge" in when they first met?
3. Finish this sentence: "What saves us, you know, is that we answer so completely to so usual an appearance: that of the man and woman whose friendship has become such a daily _____."
4. Complete this sentence: "I don't know why it shouldn't make me _________, which is what we're speaking of as right as it makes you."
5. Where does May tell John they actually met?
Short Answer Questions
1. What event does John say made his and May's meetings more multiplied at the beginning of Chapter 2?
2. What does the narrator say the guests who "took such matters with the last seriousness" give themselves up to in Chapter 1?
3. Complete this sentence: "Not indeed that I in the least connect with my impression the _______ name you use".
4. What is May always sitting next to when John comes to see her?
5. What type of speech does the narrator say "he saw in this no vulgar reminder of" regarding his conversation with May?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does John describe the events that led to May receiving property from a deceased relative in Chapter 2?
2. How does May respond when John asks her what was the very worst that could happen to him that day at the beginning of Chapter 4?
3. How does May respond when John asks if she thinks he is afraid near the end of Chapter 2?
4. In what ways does John describe how his change from his old self is final and absolute in Chapter 5?
5. What is the nature of John and May's conversation regarding his being able to face "the worst of it" in Chapter 4?
6. What is John's opinion of marrying May?
7. What is John's reaction when May asks if it's her intimacy in question in Chapter 3?
8. How does John react towards May when she asks him if he remembers the nature of their conversation the first time they met in Italy?
9. In what way does John describe his ownership of May's grave near the beginning of Chapter 6?
10. How does May say John described his secret to her when they first met?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)