|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following items is not mentioned by the narrator as things the visitors of the house looked at near the beginning of Chapter 1?
(c) Treasures of all arts.
2. What does John ask May if she remembered asking him when they had met at Weatherend for the first time?
(a) If he remembered their first meeting.
(b) About their time in Italy.
(c) If he loved her.
(d) If he was afraid.
3. What does May say to John regarding his secret at the very end of Chapter 2?
(a) "It's going to be soon."
(b) "What do you think of this?"
(c) "It will be fine."
(d) "You'll never find out."
4. What do May and John do together in Chapter 3 that reminds him of the question she wouldn't answer for him regarding his secret?
(a) Go over opera passages.
(b) Listen to operas.
(c) Play the piano.
5. In what way does John refer to May's waiting on telling him the nature of his secret as in Chapter 3?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say began for John "in a thick cluster" and at the time when "the unexpected died out?"
2. What "excavation" does May say she and the narrator took "refuge" in when they first met?
3. What does May suggest what the narrator describes as "perhaps but the expectation--or at any rate the sense of danger, familiar to so many people?"
4. What does John say was the reason he was at the house in Chapter 1?
5. What does May tell the narrator she will do with him at the end of Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does John say he feels about May spending so much of her life concerned with his secret in Chapter 3?
2. How does John react after learning of May's illness in Chapter 3?
3. In what way does John describe his ownership of May's grave near the beginning of Chapter 6?
4. How does John describe the nature of his and May's friendship in Chapter 2?
5. What is the nature of May's speech to John after he asks if the reveal of his secret had passed him by in Chapter 5?
6. Describe John's presence at May's grave at the end of Chapter 5.
7. What is the nature of the first "surprise" mentioned by John after he has learned of May's illness in Chapter 3?
8. What is the nature of John's realization in regards to passion in Chapter 6?
9. What is the nature of John's pondering about the secret he has shared with May in Chapter 2?
10. How does John describe the day he visited May for her birthday in Chapter 2?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)