|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does John say he took the measurement of in the interest of his and May's nerves in Chapter 3?
(a) The abyss.
(b) The mystic line.
(c) The heart.
(d) The tiger.
2. What does the narrator say the guests who "took such matters with the last seriousness" give themselves up to in Chapter 1?
(a) Mysterious appreciations and measurements.
(b) Grammar and good manners.
(c) Baubles and jewels.
(d) Aptitude and chivalry.
3. On what does John say he doesn't 't think a lady is meant to accompany him in Chapter 2?
(a) A tiger hunt.
(b) Important matters.
(c) A soul search.
(d) A witch hunt.
4. What does John say is the one desire he has left at the end of Chapter 4?
(a) To be happy.
(b) To be rich.
(c) To be alone.
(d) That he shouldn't have been sold.
5. Complete this sentence: "Only, you know, the form and the way in your case were to have been--well, something so _____ and, as one may say, so particularly your own."
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John tell May he often wonders if it's fair in Chapter 2?
2. What does John describe as the frugal way he finishes his evenings with May?
3. What does John say he felt that he had never felt before in Chapter 3?
4. What does John say May's whole attitude was in Chapter 2?
5. Which of the following does John not mention regarding "the thing that waited" and it's jurisdiction to him in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does May say about her and John's first meeting that causes him embarrassment in Chapter 1?
2. What is the nature of John's talk of time and fate near the end of Chapter 3?
3. Describe the interaction between John and May when he believes she is not telling him something regarding the "Beast" at the end of Chapter 2.
4. How does John react towards May when she asks him if he remembers the nature of their conversation the first time they met in Italy?
5. How does John respond when May claims that her belief of his secret is only an idea in Chapter 4?
6. What does John do after he is turned away at May's house at the beginning of Chapter 5?
7. How is May's grave described in Chapter 6?
8. What does John say had become his occupation near the end of Chapter 5?
9. How does May respond when John asks if she thinks he is afraid near the end of Chapter 2?
10. How does John describe the nature of his and May's meeting at the beginning of Chapter 4?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)