|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does John say he took May during their visits in Chapter 2?
(a) The botanical gardens.
(b) The National Gallery and the South Kensington Museum.
(c) The Kensington Gallery.
(d) The National Museum.
2. What realization causes John's breath of good faith to come short in Chapter 3?
(a) That he loved May.
(b) That he was sick too.
(c) That he would miss May.
(d) How long he had waited to discover his secret.
3. Finish this sentence: "You know you told me something I've never forgotten and that again and again has made me think of you since; it was that tremendously hot day when we went to Sorrento, across the bay, for the ________".
4. What "excavation" does May say she and the narrator took "refuge" in when they first met?
5. How does John claim May would feel if she gave up on discovering his secret before she dies in Chapter 3?
(a) It would kill her.
(b) It would haunt her.
(c) It would save her.
(d) It would lacerate her.
Short Answer Questions
1. To where does John often have May accompany him as revealed at the beginning of Chapter 3?
2. Where does John claim he first met May in Chapter 1?
3. Which of the following items is not mentioned by the narrator as things the visitors of the house looked at near the beginning of Chapter 1?
4. What does the narrator say was the character of the only things that passed between May and John at the beginning of Chapter 3?
5. What does May tell John she has a disorder of in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does John say the "Beast" had "sprung" near the end of Chapter 6?
2. How does May respond when John asks if she thinks he is afraid near the end of Chapter 2?
3. What is the nature of May and John's discussion regarding "the thing" near the end of Chapter 1?
4. How does John describe the nature of his and May's meeting at the beginning of Chapter 4?
5. In what ways does John describe how his change from his old self is final and absolute in Chapter 5?
6. How does John say he feels about May spending so much of her life concerned with his secret in Chapter 3?
7. How does John react after learning of May's illness in Chapter 3?
8. How does May describe the day she and John met to him in Chapter 1?
9. How does John describe how his life would be in the absence of everything in Chapter 5?
10. What is the nature of May's speech to John after he asks if the reveal of his secret had passed him by in Chapter 5?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)