|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After May reveals her illness to John, he says he felt the shadow of a change and the chill of a what?
2. What does May say to John when he asks her how he could ever repay her keeping his secret in Chapter 3?
(a) "We shall celebrate."
(b) "By going on as you are."
(c) "Lets go off together happily."
(d) "Go be happy and conspire."
3. Which of the following items is not mentioned by the narrator as things the visitors of the house looked at near the beginning of Chapter 1?
(d) Treasures of all arts.
4. What occasional warning is John visited by at the beginning of Chapter 3?
5. What does May tell the narrator she will do with him at the end of Chapter 1?
(a) Wait for him.
(b) Help him.
(c) Watch with him.
(d) Marry him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John say an outlook geared towards talking about his secret with May would cause him to have?
2. What words does the narrator use to describe the items being shown to the visitors of the house?
3. What "excavation" does May say she and the narrator took "refuge" in when they first met?
4. Which of the following attributes does John say about May regarding her interest in his secret in Chapter 2?
5. What type of speech does the narrator say "he saw in this no vulgar reminder of" regarding his conversation with May?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the "depths" between May and John described in Chapter 3?
2. What does John say in regards to May being "out of it" in Chapter 4?
3. In what way does John describe his ownership of May's grave near the beginning of Chapter 6?
4. How is May's grave described in Chapter 6?
5. How does May react after John learns he will not suffer because of his secret near the end of Chapter 4?
6. How does John respond when May claims that her belief of his secret is only an idea in Chapter 4?
7. What is the nature of John's realization in regards to passion in Chapter 6?
8. What is the nature of May and John's discussion regarding "the thing" near the end of Chapter 1?
9. What does John do after he is turned away at May's house at the beginning of Chapter 5?
10. How does John describe May when she rises from her chair in Chapter 4?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)