|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do May and John do together in Chapter 3 that reminds him of the question she wouldn't answer for him regarding his secret?
(a) Go over opera passages.
(b) Play the piano.
(d) Listen to operas.
2. Where does John claim he first met May in Chapter 1?
3. How is May's chair described in Chapter 3?
(a) Deep and old fashioned.
(b) Leather and tarnished.
(c) Dark brown.
(d) Old and dusty.
4. What is the last name of the family May says she was staying with when she met the narrator?
5. What does John ask May if she remembered asking him when they had met at Weatherend for the first time?
(a) If he was afraid.
(b) About their time in Italy.
(c) If he loved her.
(d) If he remembered their first meeting.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what way does John refer to May's waiting on telling him the nature of his secret as in Chapter 3?
2. Where does John say he took May during their visits in Chapter 2?
3. On what does John say he doesn't 't think a lady is meant to accompany him in Chapter 2?
4. After May reveals her illness to John, he says he felt the shadow of a change and the chill of a what?
5. Which of the following items is not mentioned by the narrator as things the visitors of the house looked at near the beginning of Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does May say John described his secret to her when they first met?
2. What is the nature of John and May's conversation regarding his being able to face "the worst of it" in Chapter 4?
3. What is the nature of John's realization in regards to passion in Chapter 6?
4. Describe John's presence at May's grave at the end of Chapter 5.
5. What is the nature of John's pondering about the secret he has shared with May in Chapter 2?
6. What does May say about dull women on her birthday in Chapter 2?
7. How does May describe the day she and John met to him in Chapter 1?
8. What is John's reaction after seeing the other man in the cemetery in Chapter 6?
9. In what way does John describe his ownership of May's grave near the beginning of Chapter 6?
10. What is the nature of May and John's outings in London as described in Chapter 2?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)