|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does May refer to John's secret as to him in Chapter 2?
(a) The real truth about you.
(b) The dirty laundry.
(c) The secret death.
(d) The past.
2. What kind of failure does the narrator say a "drop of dignity under the shadow" would become in Chapter 3?
3. To where does John often have May accompany him as revealed at the beginning of Chapter 3?
(a) The store.
(b) The park.
(c) A restaurant.
(d) The opera.
4. What does May say to John regarding his secret at the very end of Chapter 2?
(a) "You'll never find out."
(b) "What do you think of this?"
(c) "It will be fine."
(d) "It's going to be soon."
5. What does May suggest what the narrator describes as "perhaps but the expectation--or at any rate the sense of danger, familiar to so many people?"
(a) Falling in love.
(c) Being sick.
(d) Having a family.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is described as "a sale highly advertised, that excites or quenches, as may be?"
2. Other than when May takes her aunt to town, what is the other occasion in which John is able to see her during their visits in Chapter 2?
3. Which of the following does John not imagine May does in regards to the home she is staying at in Chapter 1?
4. What does the narrator say the items being perused by the visitors "almost made" the house?
5. What does John tell May he often wonders if it's fair in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does May say about dull women on her birthday in Chapter 2?
2. What is the nature of May's speech to John after he asks if the reveal of his secret had passed him by in Chapter 5?
3. How is May's funeral described in Chapter 5?
4. What does John say in regards to May being "out of it" in Chapter 4?
5. What is the nature of John and May's conversation regarding his being able to face "the worst of it" in Chapter 4?
6. In what way does John describe his ownership of May's grave near the beginning of Chapter 6?
7. What is John's reaction after seeing the other man in the cemetery in Chapter 6?
8. What type of things does the narrator describe May does with the guests of the luncheon in Chapter 1?
9. How does May react after John learns he will not suffer because of his secret near the end of Chapter 4?
10. What does John say had become his occupation near the end of Chapter 5?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)