|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What question does May ask the narrator three times at the end of Chapter 1?
(a) "Has it passed?"
(b) "Are you afraid?"
(c) "Is it soon?"
(d) "Are you ready?"
2. What is May always sitting next to when John comes to see her?
(a) Her maid.
(b) The fire.
(c) Her dog.
(d) A table.
3. What is May's last name?
4. What do May and John do together in Chapter 3 that reminds him of the question she wouldn't answer for him regarding his secret?
(a) Go over opera passages.
(b) Play the piano.
(c) Listen to operas.
5. What does John say caused the gap to fill up and supplied the missing link?
(a) His secret.
(b) May's voice.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John say the rest of the world thought of him as, but that May understands?
2. What does John say May's whole attitude was in Chapter 2?
3. Complete this sentence: "Not indeed that I in the least connect with my impression the _______ name you use".
4. What does John suggest had lost itself in the desert?
5. Which of the following items is not mentioned by the narrator as things the visitors of the house looked at near the beginning of Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does John say he does during his yearlong journey at the beginning of Chapter 6?
2. What is the nature of the first "surprise" mentioned by John after he has learned of May's illness in Chapter 3?
3. Describe John's opinion of May after she reveals that she doesn't know the true nature of his secret but rather what it is not in Chapter 5.
4. How does John react towards May when she asks him if he remembers the nature of their conversation the first time they met in Italy?
5. What is John's reaction when May asks if it's her intimacy in question in Chapter 3?
6. What belief does John say he must live to believe in Chapter 6?
7. What does John say had become his occupation near the end of Chapter 5?
8. What is John's reaction after seeing the other man in the cemetery in Chapter 6?
9. How does John describe his and May's treatment of the subject of his secret in Chapter 3?
10. How is the short confrontation between John and the other man mourning in the cemetery described in Chapter 6?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)