|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do May and John do together in Chapter 3 that reminds him of the question she wouldn't answer for him regarding his secret?
(a) Listen to operas.
(b) Play the piano.
(c) Go over opera passages.
2. What kind of failure does the narrator say a "drop of dignity under the shadow" would become in Chapter 3?
3. Why does John say May cannot simply be a mere confidant in Chapter 2?
(a) Because he doesn't trust her.
(b) Because she is a woman.
(c) Because she doesn't trust him.
(d) Because of her interest in his predicament.
4. What does John attribute as the reason for May being named the successor of her aunt's estate?
(a) Her warm heart.
(b) Her resilience.
(c) Her high tone and high temper.
(d) Her gumption.
5. What does May ask John is in question for her after they begin discussing his secret near the beginning of Chapter 3?
(a) Her intimacy.
(b) Her sadness.
(c) Her happiness.
(d) Her sanity.
Short Answer Questions
1. What quality of May's does John claim she has "finer" than him?
2. What is described as "a sale highly advertised, that excites or quenches, as may be?"
3. What is John's last name?
4. Finish this sentence: "Yes, but since, as you say, I'm only, so far as people make out, _______."
5. What does John say he might have tasted with every sauce?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does John say he feels about May spending so much of her life concerned with his secret in Chapter 3?
2. How is the short confrontation between John and the other man mourning in the cemetery described in Chapter 6?
3. How does John describe May when she rises from her chair in Chapter 4?
4. How does May respond when John asks her what saved her in Chapter 3?
5. How does May respond when John asks if she thinks he is afraid near the end of Chapter 2?
6. In what way does John describe his ownership of May's grave near the beginning of Chapter 6?
7. How does May respond when John asks her what was the very worst that could happen to him that day at the beginning of Chapter 4?
8. What belief does John say he must live to believe in Chapter 6?
9. How does May say John described his secret to her when they first met?
10. How does the narrator describe the speech between John and May at the beginning of Chapter 1?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)