|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following items does John not associate with when defining failure in Chapter 3?
(a) The secrets of the gods had grown faint.
(b) The times of the ages.
(c) The possibilities have turned stale.
(d) When the possibilities have evaporated.
2. What is the last name of the family May says she was staying with when she met the narrator?
3. Complete this sentence: "Not indeed that I in the least connect with my impression the _______ name you use".
4. What does May say to John regarding his secret at the very end of Chapter 2?
(a) "It's going to be soon."
(b) "It will be fine."
(c) "What do you think of this?"
(d) "You'll never find out."
5. In what way does John refer to May's waiting on telling him the nature of his secret as in Chapter 3?
Short Answer Questions
1. What words does the narrator use to describe the items being shown to the visitors of the house?
2. What does John say is a bigger failure than to be bankrupt, dishonored, pilloried or hanged?
3. What quality of May's does John claim she has "finer" than him?
4. What does John describe as the frugal way he finishes his evenings with May?
5. What does the narrator say the guests who "took such matters with the last seriousness" give themselves up to in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of John's talk of time and fate near the end of Chapter 3?
2. What does John say he does during his yearlong journey at the beginning of Chapter 6?
3. How does John describe his "illumination" in regards to his secret in Chapter 6?
4. What is the nature of May and John's outings in London as described in Chapter 2?
5. What is the nature of May and John's discussion regarding "the thing" near the end of Chapter 1?
6. How are the "depths" between May and John described in Chapter 3?
7. What is the nature of May's speech to John after he asks if the reveal of his secret had passed him by in Chapter 5?
8. How does the narrator describe the speech between John and May at the beginning of Chapter 1?
9. What does May say about dull women on her birthday in Chapter 2?
10. In what ways does John describe how his change from his old self is final and absolute in Chapter 5?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)