|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator say the items being perused by the visitors "almost made" the house?
2. What does May ask John is in question for her after they begin discussing his secret near the beginning of Chapter 3?
(a) Her sadness.
(b) Her happiness.
(c) Her intimacy.
(d) Her sanity.
3. What does John ask May if she remembered asking him when they had met at Weatherend for the first time?
(a) If he was afraid.
(b) If he remembered their first meeting.
(c) About their time in Italy.
(d) If he loved her.
4. What occasional warning is John visited by at the beginning of Chapter 3?
5. What does John tell May he often wonders if it's fair in Chapter 2?
(a) For May to be granted her inheritance.
(b) For May to be so involved in his secret.
(c) For he and May to be friends.
(d) For he and May to become married.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following items is not mentioned by the narrator as things the visitors of the house looked at near the beginning of Chapter 1?
2. What does say he is John after May says she is impressed with his new attitude near the end of Chapter 2?
3. Finish this sentence: "What saves us, you know, is that we answer so completely to so usual an appearance: that of the man and woman whose friendship has become such a daily _____."
4. Which of the following does John not imagine May does in regards to the home she is staying at in Chapter 1?
5. What does May refer to John's secret as to him in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is John's opinion of marrying May?
2. How is the short confrontation between John and the other man mourning in the cemetery described in Chapter 6?
3. What type of things does the narrator describe May does with the guests of the luncheon in Chapter 1?
4. What does the narrator say the guests of the luncheon do after they have finished eating near the beginning of Chapter 1?
5. In what ways does John describe how his change from his old self is final and absolute in Chapter 5?
6. What is John's reaction after seeing the other man in the cemetery in Chapter 6?
7. How does John describe May's nerves in Chapter 3?
8. In what way does John describe his ownership of May's grave near the beginning of Chapter 6?
9. What belief does John say he must live to believe in Chapter 6?
10. What is the nature of May and John's outings in London as described in Chapter 2?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)