|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what way does John refer to May's waiting on telling him the nature of his secret as in Chapter 3?
2. What kind of failure does the narrator say a "drop of dignity under the shadow" would become in Chapter 3?
3. Finish this sentence: "There have been days when I though you were, only of course, there have been days when we have thought almost _______."
4. What quality of May's does John claim she has "finer" than him?
(a) Her skin.
(b) Her nerves.
(c) Her compassion.
(d) Her heart.
5. Finish this sentence: "You know you told me something I've never forgotten and that again and again has made me think of you since; it was that tremendously hot day when we went to Sorrento, across the bay, for the ________".
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does John claim he first met May in Chapter 1?
2. What does the narrator say was the character of the only things that passed between May and John at the beginning of Chapter 3?
3. In what city do May and John meet up in for their visits in Chapter 2?
4. During what month does Chapter 1 take place?
5. What do May and John do together in Chapter 3 that reminds him of the question she wouldn't answer for him regarding his secret?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe John's presence at May's grave at the end of Chapter 5.
2. What is the nature of May's speech to John after he asks if the reveal of his secret had passed him by in Chapter 5?
3. In what way does John describe his ownership of May's grave near the beginning of Chapter 6?
4. How is May's funeral described in Chapter 5?
5. What type of things does the narrator describe May does with the guests of the luncheon in Chapter 1?
6. What does the narrator say the guests of the luncheon do after they have finished eating near the beginning of Chapter 1?
7. How is May's grave described in Chapter 6?
8. How does John describe the events that led to May receiving property from a deceased relative in Chapter 2?
9. How does John describe his and May's treatment of the subject of his secret in Chapter 3?
10. What does John say in regards to May being "out of it" in Chapter 4?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)