|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does John say caused the gap to fill up and supplied the missing link?
(a) May's voice.
(c) His secret.
2. What "excavation" does May say she and the narrator took "refuge" in when they first met?
3. What does John say he had no sense of when time and fate acted on him?
(a) Being lonely.
(b) Being young.
(c) Being happy.
(d) Being whole.
4. Complete this sentence: "God knows I don't want anything. It's only a question of the __________ that haunts me."
5. Finish this sentence: "Yes, but since, as you say, I'm only, so far as people make out, _______."
Short Answer Questions
1. What quality of May's does John claim she has "finer" than him?
2. What does John say he has never been for a moment in his life in Chapter 2?
3. When does John say his and May's friendship had "sprung into being" in Chapter 2?
4. What does John say "opened his mouth betimes" and "would count a compensation and profit?"
5. Why does John say May cannot simply be a mere confidant in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe John's opinion of May after she reveals that she doesn't know the true nature of his secret but rather what it is not in Chapter 5.
2. How is May's grave described in Chapter 6?
3. What does May say about her and John's first meeting that causes him embarrassment in Chapter 1?
4. How does John describe May when she rises from her chair in Chapter 4?
5. How does John describe the events that led to May receiving property from a deceased relative in Chapter 2?
6. How does May react after John learns he will not suffer because of his secret near the end of Chapter 4?
7. In what ways does John describe how his change from his old self is final and absolute in Chapter 5?
8. What reasons does John give for taking May to the opera at the beginning of Chapter 3?
9. What is the nature of the first "surprise" mentioned by John after he has learned of May's illness in Chapter 3?
10. How does the narrator describe the speech between John and May at the beginning of Chapter 1?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)