|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Other than when May takes her aunt to town, what is the other occasion in which John is able to see her during their visits in Chapter 2?
(a) When she visited friends.
(b) When she picked up groceries.
(c) When she took out the trash.
(d) When she shopped for food.
2. What does John ask May if she remembered asking him when they had met at Weatherend for the first time?
(a) About their time in Italy.
(b) If he remembered their first meeting.
(c) If he loved her.
(d) If he was afraid.
3. What does John tell May he often wonders if it's fair in Chapter 2?
(a) For May to be so involved in his secret.
(b) For he and May to become married.
(c) For May to be granted her inheritance.
(d) For he and May to be friends.
4. In what city do May and John meet up in for their visits in Chapter 2?
5. What do May and John do together in Chapter 3 that reminds him of the question she wouldn't answer for him regarding his secret?
(a) Play the piano.
(b) Listen to operas.
(d) Go over opera passages.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John say caused the gap to fill up and supplied the missing link?
2. What circumstance does John say was "in the lap of the gods" and "touched him so nearly?"
3. Where does John claim he first met May in Chapter 1?
4. Finish this sentence: "You know you told me something I've never forgotten and that again and again has made me think of you since; it was that tremendously hot day when we went to Sorrento, across the bay, for the ________".
5. What does May tell the narrator she will do with him at the end of Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator say the guests of the luncheon do after they have finished eating near the beginning of Chapter 1?
2. What is the nature of John's realization in regards to passion in Chapter 6?
3. What type of things does the narrator describe May does with the guests of the luncheon in Chapter 1?
4. How does John describe May when she rises from her chair in Chapter 4?
5. What is the nature of the exchange between John and May at the end of Chapter 4?
6. What is the nature of May and John's conversation when he asks her to reveal what she believes is his secret in Chapter 4?
7. Describe John's opinion of May after she reveals that she doesn't know the true nature of his secret but rather what it is not in Chapter 5.
8. What is the nature of John and May's mood after he accuses her of doubting his fate in Chapter 2?
9. What reasons does John give for taking May to the opera at the beginning of Chapter 3?
10. How does John describe the events that led to May receiving property from a deceased relative in Chapter 2?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)