|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does John tell May he often wonders if it's fair in Chapter 2?
(a) For May to be so involved in his secret.
(b) For May to be granted her inheritance.
(c) For he and May to be friends.
(d) For he and May to become married.
2. What is May's last name?
3. What was over the chimney in the room where John and May begin their conversation in Chapter 1?
(a) A portrait.
(b) A cross.
(c) A mirror.
(d) A wreath.
4. Which of the following items is not mentioned by the narrator as things the visitors of the house looked at near the beginning of Chapter 1?
(a) Treasures of all arts.
5. How does John claim May would feel if she gave up on discovering his secret before she dies in Chapter 3?
(a) It would haunt her.
(b) It would kill her.
(c) It would lacerate her.
(d) It would save her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the house John is visiting in Chapter 1?
2. What does John say he has never been for a moment in his life in Chapter 2?
3. Complete this sentence: "I see of course what you mean by your ____ me, in this way and that."
4. What does John say he had no sense of when time and fate acted on him?
5. What words does the narrator use to describe the items being shown to the visitors of the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does John say he does during his yearlong journey at the beginning of Chapter 6?
2. How does John respond when May claims that her belief of his secret is only an idea in Chapter 4?
3. What does John do after he is turned away at May's house at the beginning of Chapter 5?
4. Describe the interaction between John and May when he believes she is not telling him something regarding the "Beast" at the end of Chapter 2.
5. What is John's reaction after seeing the other man in the cemetery in Chapter 6?
6. How does John describe May's eyes in Chapter 4?
7. How does May respond when John asks her what was the very worst that could happen to him that day at the beginning of Chapter 4?
8. How does John describe seeing the Beast and how does he react to this at the end of Chapter 6?
9. How does May react after John learns he will not suffer because of his secret near the end of Chapter 4?
10. How is the setting of John and May's conversation in the house after the luncheon described in Chapter 1?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)