|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does John claim May would feel if she gave up on discovering his secret before she dies in Chapter 3?
(a) It would haunt her.
(b) It would kill her.
(c) It would save her.
(d) It would lacerate her.
2. What does John say May's whole attitude was in Chapter 2?
(a) A blessing.
(b) A virtual statement.
(c) A curse.
(d) A mirage.
3. What "excavation" does May say she and the narrator took "refuge" in when they first met?
4. What does May suggest what the narrator describes as "perhaps but the expectation--or at any rate the sense of danger, familiar to so many people?"
(a) Having a family.
(b) Falling in love.
(d) Being sick.
5. Complete this sentence: "Not indeed that I in the least connect with my impression the _______ name you use".
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say the items being perused by the visitors "almost made" the house?
2. Which of the following does John not mention regarding "the thing that waited" and it's jurisdiction to him in Chapter 3?
3. What does May ask John is in question for her after they begin discussing his secret near the beginning of Chapter 3?
4. What is the name of the house John is visiting in Chapter 1?
5. What does John say "opened his mouth betimes" and "would count a compensation and profit?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of May and John's conversation when he asks her to reveal what she believes is his secret in Chapter 4?
2. What reasons does John give for taking May to the opera at the beginning of Chapter 3?
3. How does John describe the events that led to May receiving property from a deceased relative in Chapter 2?
4. What does May say about her and John's first meeting that causes him embarrassment in Chapter 1?
5. How are the "depths" between May and John described in Chapter 3?
6. How does John describe May's eyes in Chapter 4?
7. What is the nature of the exchange between John and May at the end of Chapter 4?
8. How does John describe the nature of his and May's meeting at the beginning of Chapter 4?
9. What is John's opinion of marrying May?
10. What is the nature of John and May's discussion after she tells him the thing he had been waiting for had come in Chapter 5?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)