|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To where does John often have May accompany him as revealed at the beginning of Chapter 3?
(a) The opera.
(b) A restaurant.
(c) The park.
(d) The store.
2. What does John tell May he often wonders if it's fair in Chapter 2?
(a) For he and May to become married.
(b) For May to be granted her inheritance.
(c) For May to be so involved in his secret.
(d) For he and May to be friends.
3. What occasional warning is John visited by at the beginning of Chapter 3?
4. Complete this sentence: "I see of course what you mean by your ____ me, in this way and that."
5. What was over the chimney in the room where John and May begin their conversation in Chapter 1?
(a) A wreath.
(b) A mirror.
(c) A cross.
(d) A portrait.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John say is a bigger failure than to be bankrupt, dishonored, pilloried or hanged?
2. What does John say the rest of the world thought of him as, but that May understands?
3. Finish this sentence: "What saves us, you know, is that we answer so completely to so usual an appearance: that of the man and woman whose friendship has become such a daily _____."
4. How is May's chair described in Chapter 3?
5. What does May say to John regarding his secret at the very end of Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe John's opinion of May after she reveals that she doesn't know the true nature of his secret but rather what it is not in Chapter 5.
2. How is May's funeral described in Chapter 5?
3. What does John say he does during his yearlong journey at the beginning of Chapter 6?
4. How does John react towards May when she asks him if he remembers the nature of their conversation the first time they met in Italy?
5. What is the nature of May and John's outings in London as described in Chapter 2?
6. How does May respond when John asks if she thinks he is afraid near the end of Chapter 2?
7. How does John respond when May claims that her belief of his secret is only an idea in Chapter 4?
8. How does John say he feels about May spending so much of her life concerned with his secret in Chapter 3?
9. How does John react after learning of May's illness in Chapter 3?
10. What does May say about her and John's first meeting that causes him embarrassment in Chapter 1?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)