|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After May reveals her illness to John, he says he felt the shadow of a change and the chill of a what?
2. Where does John say he took May during their visits in Chapter 2?
(a) The National Museum.
(b) The botanical gardens.
(c) The Kensington Gallery.
(d) The National Gallery and the South Kensington Museum.
3. What does the narrator say was the character of the only things that passed between May and John at the beginning of Chapter 3?
(a) Notes and notations.
(b) Facts and answers.
(c) Jibber and Jabber.
(d) Recalls and results.
4. What does John say was the reason he was at the house in Chapter 1?
(a) A date.
(b) A luncheon.
(c) A business meeting.
(d) To meet a friend.
5. What does John say he took the measurement of in the interest of his and May's nerves in Chapter 3?
(a) The tiger.
(b) The heart.
(c) The mystic line.
(d) The abyss.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what city do May and John meet up in for their visits in Chapter 2?
2. What does John say caused the gap to fill up and supplied the missing link?
3. Which of the following does John not mention regarding "the thing that waited" and it's jurisdiction to him in Chapter 3?
4. What is John's last name?
5. What "invoked, invited, encouraged, could give them, naturally, no more than it had?"
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe John's presence at May's grave at the end of Chapter 5.
2. What is the nature of John's pondering about the secret he has shared with May in Chapter 2?
3. How does John say he feels about May spending so much of her life concerned with his secret in Chapter 3?
4. What belief does John say he must live to believe in Chapter 6?
5. What is the nature of May and John's outings in London as described in Chapter 2?
6. How does John describe May's eyes in Chapter 4?
7. How does May respond when John asks her what saved her in Chapter 3?
8. Describe the interaction between John and May when he believes she is not telling him something regarding the "Beast" at the end of Chapter 2.
9. How does John describe the events that led to May receiving property from a deceased relative in Chapter 2?
10. What is John's reaction when May asks if it's her intimacy in question in Chapter 3?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)