|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does May say to John regarding his secret at the very end of Chapter 2?
(a) "What do you think of this?"
(b) "You'll never find out."
(c) "It will be fine."
(d) "It's going to be soon."
2. What does John say is a bigger failure than to be bankrupt, dishonored, pilloried or hanged?
(a) To be rich.
(b) To be alone.
(c) To be unhappy.
(d) To not be anything.
3. Where does John say he took May during their visits in Chapter 2?
(a) The National Museum.
(b) The Kensington Gallery.
(c) The botanical gardens.
(d) The National Gallery and the South Kensington Museum.
4. Finish this sentence: "You know you told me something I've never forgotten and that again and again has made me think of you since; it was that tremendously hot day when we went to Sorrento, across the bay, for the ________".
5. What type of speech does the narrator say "he saw in this no vulgar reminder of" regarding his conversation with May?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say John kept up and felt very decently about in Chapter 3?
2. In what city do May and John meet up in for their visits in Chapter 2?
3. What occasional warning is John visited by at the beginning of Chapter 3?
4. What does John describe as the frugal way he finishes his evenings with May?
5. Which of the following items does John not associate with when defining failure in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does John describe his and May's last meeting in Chapter 5?
2. Describe John's presence at May's grave at the end of Chapter 5.
3. What is the nature of May's speech to John after he asks if the reveal of his secret had passed him by in Chapter 5?
4. How does John react after learning of May's illness in Chapter 3?
5. How does John describe May's nerves in Chapter 3?
6. What does John say he does during his yearlong journey at the beginning of Chapter 6?
7. How does John describe the nature of his and May's friendship in Chapter 2?
8. What is the nature of the exchange between John and May at the end of Chapter 4?
9. What does John say had become his occupation near the end of Chapter 5?
10. How is May's grave described in Chapter 6?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)