|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was over the chimney in the room where John and May begin their conversation in Chapter 1?
(a) A portrait.
(b) A cross.
(c) A mirror.
(d) A wreath.
2. What does May tell John she has a disorder of in Chapter 3?
3. What is May always sitting next to when John comes to see her?
(a) A table.
(b) Her dog.
(c) Her maid.
(d) The fire.
4. Finish this sentence: "Yes, but since, as you say, I'm only, so far as people make out, _______."
5. What does the narrator say the guests who "took such matters with the last seriousness" give themselves up to in Chapter 1?
(a) Aptitude and chivalry.
(b) Grammar and good manners.
(c) Baubles and jewels.
(d) Mysterious appreciations and measurements.
Short Answer Questions
1. What words does the narrator use to describe the items being shown to the visitors of the house?
2. What does John ask May if she remembered asking him when they had met at Weatherend for the first time?
3. After May reveals her illness to John, he says he felt the shadow of a change and the chill of a what?
4. What is described as "a sale highly advertised, that excites or quenches, as may be?"
5. What circumstance does John say was "in the lap of the gods" and "touched him so nearly?"
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the short confrontation between John and the other man mourning in the cemetery described in Chapter 6?
2. What is the nature of the first "surprise" mentioned by John after he has learned of May's illness in Chapter 3?
3. What is the nature of John and May's discussion after she tells him the thing he had been waiting for had come in Chapter 5?
4. Describe John's opinion of May after she reveals that she doesn't know the true nature of his secret but rather what it is not in Chapter 5.
5. How does John describe the day he visited May for her birthday in Chapter 2?
6. How does John describe May when she rises from her chair in Chapter 4?
7. How does May respond when John asks her what was the very worst that could happen to him that day at the beginning of Chapter 4?
8. How does John describe his "illumination" in regards to his secret in Chapter 6?
9. How does John describe seeing the Beast and how does he react to this at the end of Chapter 6?
10. What does May say about her and John's first meeting that causes him embarrassment in Chapter 1?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)