|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is May's last name?
2. After May reveals her illness to John, he says he felt the shadow of a change and the chill of a what?
3. What occasional warning is John visited by at the beginning of Chapter 3?
4. What quality of May's does John claim she has "finer" than him?
(a) Her skin.
(b) Her compassion.
(c) Her heart.
(d) Her nerves.
5. What does May tell John she has a disorder of in Chapter 3?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John attribute as the reason for May being named the successor of her aunt's estate?
2. What words does the narrator use to describe the items being shown to the visitors of the house?
3. Finish this sentence: "There have been days when I though you were, only of course, there have been days when we have thought almost _______."
4. What does John say he had no sense of when time and fate acted on him?
5. What does the narrator say John kept up and felt very decently about in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does John say in regards to May being "out of it" in Chapter 4?
2. How does John describe seeing the Beast and how does he react to this at the end of Chapter 6?
3. What is the nature of John's pondering about the secret he has shared with May in Chapter 2?
4. What is the nature of May and John's outings in London as described in Chapter 2?
5. How does John describe the events that led to May receiving property from a deceased relative in Chapter 2?
6. What does John say he does during his yearlong journey at the beginning of Chapter 6?
7. How does John describe May's nerves in Chapter 3?
8. What does the narrator say the guests of the luncheon do after they have finished eating near the beginning of Chapter 1?
9. How does John describe his and May's last meeting in Chapter 5?
10. How does John describe how his life would be in the absence of everything in Chapter 5?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)