|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator say gave John the few square feet of earth that he could live on?
(a) Temple of solace.
(b) Slab of earth.
(c) Garden of death.
(d) Tomb of joy.
2. What possibility does John feel would be monstrous for May according to his thoughts in Chapter 4?
(a) If she died.
(b) If she made a mistake being his friend.
(c) If they had been married.
(d) If he died.
3. What reason does John give for not wanting to question May about what she knows about his secret in Chapter 4?
(a) Because he doesn't want to lose her.
(b) Because he doesn't want to find out.
(c) Because he is afraid to learn the truth.
(d) Because he doesn't want them to have an argument.
4. Which of the following does John not associate with the "Beast in the Jungle" in Chapter 5?
(a) May's dying.
(b) His solitude.
(c) May's health.
(d) His health.
5. What does the narrator say May's grave was John's one witness to in Chapter 6?
(a) His demise.
(b) His heart.
(c) His one home.
(d) A past glory.
6. What does John say his illumination of his love for May blazed to in Chapter 6?
(a) The zenith.
(b) The diamond.
(c) The sphinx.
(d) The onyx.
7. What does the narrator say is "never baffled" in Chapter 6?
(a) One's doom.
(b) May's death.
(c) His death.
(d) His love for May.
8. What does John say were "washed like figures traced in the sea-sand?"
(a) His love for May.
(b) Ideas about his secret.
(c) May's love for him.
(d) His passion for life.
9. How is the cemetery in which May was buried in London described in Chapter 5?
(a) White and ghostly.
(b) Black and dreary.
(c) Great and grey.
(d) Dark and dank.
10. What does John fling himself on at the end of Chapter 6?
(a) May's grave.
(b) A tree stump.
(c) A rose bush.
(d) A bench.
11. What is the first thing John asks May in regards to learning more about her opinion of his secret in Chapter 4?
(a) If he will suffer.
(b) If he will find peace.
(c) If he will be sad.
(d) If he will be happy.
12. What does John say was an oddity in regards to his nervousness in Chapter 4?
(a) That he was not more nervous.
(b) That he was less nervous than he had thought.
(c) That it came before his doubts.
(d) That is came at all.
13. What does May do during her visit with John to make her statement more "vivid" in Chapter 4?
(a) Turned her back.
(b) Rose from her chair.
14. Where does John say he had wandered from in Chapter 6?
(a) Center of the desert.
(b) Across the sea.
(c) Top of the mountain.
(d) Into the ocean.
15. Complete this sentence: "I would _____ for you still--if I could."
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John claim he was afraid of during his conversation with May in Chapter 4?
2. What does John do after May tells him he will not suffer because of his secret?
3. What does John decide to visit just before leaving in Chapter 5?
4. What does John believe May did to him in order to save him according to his thoughts in Chapter 5?
5. What does John say were "numberless enough" and a "thick cold mist?"
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)