|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Finish this sentence: "It seems to me I liked it better present, as you say, than I can like it absent with your _________."
2. What does John say he is afraid he has spent his whole life thinking of in Chapter 4?
(a) Bad thoughts.
(b) Only himself.
(c) Dreadful things.
(d) Other people.
3. What does John realize his escape would have been near the end of Chapter 6?
(a) To eat.
(b) To be alone.
(c) To love May.
(d) To die.
4. Where does John say his time with May moved him more than his impressions of?
(a) Italy and Persia.
(b) Africa and Asia.
(c) England and France.
(d) India and Egypt.
5. What feeling does John have towards the man in mourning at the cemetery in Chapter 6?
6. What does John decide to visit just before leaving in Chapter 5?
(a) May's house.
(b) A bar.
(c) May's grave.
(d) A park.
7. What does the narrator say John was dependent on after he decides to live in Chapter 6?
(a) His loneliness.
(b) His fortune.
(c) An identity.
8. What does John say had only been smothered, but still throbbed and could bleed?
(a) His heartache.
(b) His desire.
(c) His secret.
(d) His ache.
9. What does John say has never touched him in Chapter 6?
10. How long does John stand at the object he visits at the end of Chapter 5?
(a) 1 day.
(b) 1 hour.
(c) 2 hours.
(d) 4 hours.
11. What does the narrator say John had known the world to be at the beginning of Chapter 6?
(a) Dark and bleak.
(b) Happy and sad.
(c) Hard and painful.
(d) Vulgar and vain.
12. What does John refer to as an "open page?"
(a) His house.
(b) May's tomb.
(c) The park.
(d) May's house.
13. What does John say were "numberless enough" and a "thick cold mist?"
(a) His desires.
(b) His fortune.
(c) His love.
(d) His dreams.
14. What rises to John's lips when he remembers May praying that he not know the true nature of his beast?
(a) A moan.
(b) A whisper.
(c) May's name.
(d) A cough.
15. Complete this sentence: "Did we ever dream, with all our dreams, that we should sit and _______ of thus."
Short Answer Questions
1. Finish this sentence: "I haven't lived with a vain imagination, in the most besotted _________."
2. What does John say he will profit extraordinarily little from in Chapter 5?
3. Complete this sentence: "We've had together great __________, often great fears; but some of them have been unspoken."
4. What does the narrator say gave John the few square feet of earth that he could live on?
5. Which of the following items are not mentioned by John as not being as sharp as his time with May in Chapter 6?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)