|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who comes into the room where May and John are having their conversation near the end of Chapter 4?
(a) A cat.
(b) May's cousin.
(c) A dog.
(d) May's maid.
2. Which of the following items are not mentioned by John as not being as sharp as his time with May in Chapter 6?
(a) His character.
(b) His wealth.
(c) His dress.
(d) His age.
3. Finish this sentence: "Assuredly--if you mean, as I do, something that includes all the loss and all the shame that are _______."
4. Who is described as "the creature beneath the sod?"
(b) John's conquests.
(c) The Beast.
5. What are the items of furniture in the room where May and John visit in Chapter 4?
(a) A chair and sofa.
(b) A French clock and two rosy Dresden.
(c) Two blue Dresden and a chair.
(d) A table and clock.
6. What reason does John give for not wanting to question May about what she knows about his secret in Chapter 4?
(a) Because he is afraid to learn the truth.
(b) Because he doesn't want to lose her.
(c) Because he doesn't want to find out.
(d) Because he doesn't want them to have an argument.
7. Complete this sentence: "Ah you not being aware of it is the _________ in the strangeness."
8. Finish this sentence: "It seems to me I liked it better present, as you say, than I can like it absent with your _________."
9. What possibility does John feel would be monstrous for May according to his thoughts in Chapter 4?
(a) If she died.
(b) If they had been married.
(c) If he died.
(d) If she made a mistake being his friend.
10. Finish this sentence: "I haven't lived with a vain imagination, in the most besotted _________."
11. What does John say had only been smothered, but still throbbed and could bleed?
(a) His heartache.
(b) His desire.
(c) His secret.
(d) His ache.
12. What kind of stare does the man in mourning give John in Chapter 6?
(b) Haunting and dreary.
(d) Immediate and vague.
13. What reason does John give for getting up from his seat in May's house in Chapter 5?
(a) He couldn't combat his yearning.
(b) He didn't want to look at her.
(c) He had to be somewhere.
(d) He was going to cry.
14. What does May grab for support when she stands during her conversation with John in Chapter 4?
(a) A shelf.
(b) The sofa.
(c) The clock.
(d) The chair.
15. What does May do during her visit with John to make her statement more "vivid" in Chapter 4?
(a) Turned her back.
(d) Rose from her chair.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator describe the truth once John discovers his love for May in Chapter 6?
2. What is John afraid will happen if he moved from May's grave in Chapter 6?
3. What does the narrator say May's grave was John's one witness to in Chapter 6?
4. What does John decide to visit just before leaving in Chapter 5?
5. What does John say has never touched him in Chapter 6?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)