|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Other than when May takes her aunt to town, what is the other occasion in which John is able to see her during their visits in Chapter 2?
(a) When she shopped for food.
(b) When she visited friends.
(c) When she picked up groceries.
(d) When she took out the trash.
2. What does May tell John is not repaid as time goes on in Chapter 2?
(a) His curiosity.
(b) His worth.
(c) His sadness.
(d) His happiness.
3. What kind of failure does the narrator say a "drop of dignity under the shadow" would become in Chapter 3?
4. Finish this sentence: "You mean you feel how my obsession--poor old thing--may correspond to some possible ______."
5. What does John ask May if she remembered asking him when they had met at Weatherend for the first time?
(a) If he was afraid.
(b) If he remembered their first meeting.
(c) About their time in Italy.
(d) If he loved her.
6. What "invoked, invited, encouraged, could give them, naturally, no more than it had?"
(a) The present.
(b) The truth.
(c) The future.
(d) The past.
7. What does John say is the one desire he has left at the end of Chapter 4?
(a) That he shouldn't have been sold.
(b) To be happy.
(c) To be rich.
(d) To be alone.
8. On what does John say he doesn't 't think a lady is meant to accompany him in Chapter 2?
(a) A witch hunt.
(b) A tiger hunt.
(c) A soul search.
(d) Important matters.
9. What does the narrator say John kept up and felt very decently about in Chapter 3?
(a) His unselfishness.
(b) May's future.
(c) May's health.
(d) His future.
10. Complete this sentence: "Not indeed that I in the least connect with my impression the _______ name you use".
11. Which of the following attributes does John say about May regarding her interest in his secret in Chapter 2?
12. What does May refer to John's secret as to him in Chapter 2?
(a) The dirty laundry.
(b) The past.
(c) The secret death.
(d) The real truth about you.
13. In what city do May and John meet up in for their visits in Chapter 2?
14. Finish this sentence: "Yes, but since, as you say, I'm only, so far as people make out, _______."
15. Where does John claim he first met May in Chapter 1?
Short Answer Questions
1. Finish this sentence: "You know you told me something I've never forgotten and that again and again has made me think of you since; it was that tremendously hot day when we went to Sorrento, across the bay, for the ________".
2. What does John say the rest of the world thought of him as, but that May understands?
3. What event does John say made his and May's meetings more multiplied at the beginning of Chapter 2?
4. What does John describe as the frugal way he finishes his evenings with May?
5. What does John say "opened his mouth betimes" and "would count a compensation and profit?"
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)