|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does May say was the "incident" that caused her to "seek refuge" when she had met the narrator for the first time?
(a) A thunderstorm.
(b) A monsoon.
(c) A tornado.
(d) A sandstorm.
2. Other than when May takes her aunt to town, what is the other occasion in which John is able to see her during their visits in Chapter 2?
(a) When she took out the trash.
(b) When she shopped for food.
(c) When she visited friends.
(d) When she picked up groceries.
3. What does the narrator say the guests who "took such matters with the last seriousness" give themselves up to in Chapter 1?
(a) Mysterious appreciations and measurements.
(b) Aptitude and chivalry.
(c) Baubles and jewels.
(d) Grammar and good manners.
4. Which of the following items does John not associate with when defining failure in Chapter 3?
(a) The secrets of the gods had grown faint.
(b) The times of the ages.
(c) When the possibilities have evaporated.
(d) The possibilities have turned stale.
5. Which of the following does John not mention regarding "the thing that waited" and it's jurisdiction to him in Chapter 3?
(a) Within touch or reach.
(b) Within sight or sound.
(c) Within an inch.
(d) By any chance of a truth.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of speech does the narrator say "he saw in this no vulgar reminder of" regarding his conversation with May?
2. What is John's last name?
3. Complete this sentence: "I see of course what you mean by your ____ me, in this way and that."
4. During what month does Chapter 1 take place?
5. What does the narrator say cast "the long shadow in which he had lived" and had "almost no margin left?"
This section contains 287 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)