|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator say cast "the long shadow in which he had lived" and had "almost no margin left?"
(a) The love in May's heart.
(b) The great vagueness.
(c) His hope.
(d) His love.
2. What circumstance does John say was "in the lap of the gods" and "touched him so nearly?"
(a) May's acquiring a house in London.
(b) His buying a new home.
(c) May's new job.
(d) His job.
3. What does May say to John regarding his secret at the very end of Chapter 2?
(a) "It's going to be soon."
(b) "It will be fine."
(c) "You'll never find out."
(d) "What do you think of this?"
4. How old does the narrator say he was when he met May for the first time?
5. What does John suggest had lost itself in the desert?
(a) His fear.
(b) His secret.
(c) May's sanity.
(d) May's beauty.
Short Answer Questions
1. Finish this sentence: "You mean you feel how my obsession--poor old thing--may correspond to some possible ______."
2. To where does John often have May accompany him as revealed at the beginning of Chapter 3?
3. What type of speech does the narrator say "he saw in this no vulgar reminder of" regarding his conversation with May?
4. What does May say was the "incident" that caused her to "seek refuge" when she had met the narrator for the first time?
5. What words does the narrator use to describe the items being shown to the visitors of the house?
This section contains 263 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)