|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is May always sitting next to when John comes to see her?
(a) The fire.
(b) Her dog.
(c) Her maid.
(d) A table.
2. What question does May ask the narrator three times at the end of Chapter 1?
(a) "Is it soon?"
(b) "Are you afraid?"
(c) "Are you ready?"
(d) "Has it passed?"
3. What event does John say made his and May's meetings more multiplied at the beginning of Chapter 2?
(a) Her moving to his house.
(b) Her moving to the country.
(c) His losing his job.
(d) Her great-aunt's death.
4. What do May and John do together in Chapter 3 that reminds him of the question she wouldn't answer for him regarding his secret?
(a) Play the piano.
(c) Listen to operas.
(d) Go over opera passages.
5. What kind of failure does the narrator say a "drop of dignity under the shadow" would become in Chapter 3?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John say was the reason he was at the house in Chapter 1?
2. What was over the chimney in the room where John and May begin their conversation in Chapter 1?
3. Finish this sentence: "You mean you feel how my obsession--poor old thing--may correspond to some possible ______."
4. What is John's last name?
5. What does John say the rest of the world thought of him as, but that May understands?
This section contains 238 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)