|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Finish this sentence: "You mean you feel how my obsession--poor old thing--may correspond to some possible ______."
2. Finish this sentence: "What saves us, you know, is that we answer so completely to so usual an appearance: that of the man and woman whose friendship has become such a daily _____."
3. What does the narrator say the guests who "took such matters with the last seriousness" give themselves up to in Chapter 1?
(a) Mysterious appreciations and measurements.
(b) Grammar and good manners.
(c) Aptitude and chivalry.
(d) Baubles and jewels.
4. What does John ask May if she remembered asking him when they had met at Weatherend for the first time?
(a) If he loved her.
(b) If he was afraid.
(c) If he remembered their first meeting.
(d) About their time in Italy.
5. What does John say caused the gap to fill up and supplied the missing link?
(b) His secret.
(d) May's voice.
Short Answer Questions
1. What "excavation" does May say she and the narrator took "refuge" in when they first met?
2. What is John's last name?
3. What does the narrator describe as "so numerous that guests could wander at their will?"
4. Where does John claim he first met May in Chapter 1?
5. How old does the narrator say he was when he met May for the first time?
This section contains 234 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)