|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does John say "opened his mouth betimes" and "would count a compensation and profit?"
(b) His lies.
(c) His past.
(d) A mysterious fate.
2. What does John tell May he often wonders if it's fair in Chapter 2?
(a) For he and May to be friends.
(b) For he and May to become married.
(c) For May to be so involved in his secret.
(d) For May to be granted her inheritance.
3. Finish this sentence: "What saves us, you know, is that we answer so completely to so usual an appearance: that of the man and woman whose friendship has become such a daily _____."
4. What kind of failure does the narrator say a "drop of dignity under the shadow" would become in Chapter 3?
5. What does John say an outlook geared towards talking about his secret with May would cause him to have?
(a) A headache.
(b) An ear ache.
(c) A hunchback.
(d) A sore throat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does May ask John is in question for her after they begin discussing his secret near the beginning of Chapter 3?
2. Complete this sentence: "God knows I don't want anything. It's only a question of the __________ that haunts me."
3. What reason does John give for not wanting to question May about what she knows about his secret in Chapter 4?
4. What does say he is John after May says she is impressed with his new attitude near the end of Chapter 2?
5. Why does John say May cannot simply be a mere confidant in Chapter 2?
This section contains 316 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)