|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What quality of May's does John claim she has "finer" than him?
(a) Her heart.
(b) Her nerves.
(c) Her compassion.
(d) Her skin.
2. What does the narrator say the guests who "took such matters with the last seriousness" give themselves up to in Chapter 1?
(a) Baubles and jewels.
(b) Aptitude and chivalry.
(c) Mysterious appreciations and measurements.
(d) Grammar and good manners.
3. What does May say was the "incident" that caused her to "seek refuge" when she had met the narrator for the first time?
(a) A monsoon.
(b) A thunderstorm.
(c) A sandstorm.
(d) A tornado.
4. What does John attribute as the reason for May being named the successor of her aunt's estate?
(a) Her gumption.
(b) Her warm heart.
(c) Her resilience.
(d) Her high tone and high temper.
5. What does John do after May tells him he will not suffer because of his secret?
(a) He laughs.
(b) He cries.
(c) He closes his eyes.
(d) He becomes flushed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Complete the sentence: "I thought of _______ things, between which it was difficult to choose; and so must you have done."
2. What question does May ask the narrator three times at the end of Chapter 1?
3. Finish this sentence: "You mean you feel how my obsession--poor old thing--may correspond to some possible ______."
4. What does John say the rest of the world thought of him as, but that May understands?
5. What does John say he had no sense of when time and fate acted on him?
This section contains 258 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)