|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what way does John refer to May's waiting on telling him the nature of his secret as in Chapter 3?
2. Complete this sentence: "God knows I don't want anything. It's only a question of the __________ that haunts me."
3. What does John say he might have tasted with every sauce?
(a) His hate.
(b) May's love.
(c) The intimate community.
(d) May's friendship.
4. What does May suggest what the narrator describes as "perhaps but the expectation--or at any rate the sense of danger, familiar to so many people?"
(b) Falling in love.
(c) Being sick.
(d) Having a family.
5. What does John say was the reason he was at the house in Chapter 1?
(a) A date.
(b) To meet a friend.
(c) A business meeting.
(d) A luncheon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John say "opened his mouth betimes" and "would count a compensation and profit?"
2. What does the narrator say cast "the long shadow in which he had lived" and had "almost no margin left?"
3. What does John say "lay in wait for him, amid the twists and the turns of the months and the years" in Chapter 2?
4. What does John attribute as the reason for May being named the successor of her aunt's estate?
5. What circumstance does John say was "in the lap of the gods" and "touched him so nearly?"
This section contains 287 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)