|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of car stops as Amat walks home to offer him a ride in Chapter 38?
2. What does Benji promise to teach the bass player to do in Chapter 40?
3. What does Maya do with her brother when she returns home in Chapter 35?
4. Where has David accepted a job to coach an A-team in Chapter 44?
5. What is in the parcel that Kira receives from her daughter in Chapter 46?
Short Essay Questions
1. What foreshadowing pervades Chapter 42? What clues are given?
2. How is Hog's conversation with Bobo described in Chapter 46?
3. What does Kevin do with the 100 kroner note in Chapter 25? Why?
4. What leads Ana to the realization of what happened to Maya in Chapter 27?
5. Who intervenes when Zacharias and Amat are bullied by seniors in Chapter 25? Why?
6. What impact does Kevin's arrest have on the team and the finals game?
7. What do Benji and Kevin's mother discuss in Chapter 44? What does this discussion lead Kevin's mother to realize?
8. What does Kevin's mother do at her home in Chapter 37? Why?
9. What happens to Maya in the cafeteria in Chapter 36?
10. How are the themes of denial and avoidance demonstrated in Chapter 36?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of sexism in Beartown. In what ways are the women of Beartown distinguished from the men of the town? What role does hockey play in the separation of men and women? How does the author display the sexism inherent in the townspeople?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the narrative style of Beartown. From whose perspective is the story related? Is the story told in the present or past tense? What is the significance of each of these choices by the author?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the setting of Beartown. Where is Beartown located? What are the most notable aspects of this setting? How does the setting of the story reflect upon its characters, subject matter, and themes?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)