|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the narrator describe the teenager killing someone in Chapter 1?
2. What kind of diet does Ana say she is on now in Chapter 7?
3. Who asks Amat about Maya in Chapter 12?
4. Of Ana, the narrator says in Chapter 22 that what "has never done her any harm" (179)?
5. Who tells Amat that Maya will notice him when they win the final in Chapter 18?
Short Essay Questions
1. What led Peter to return to Beartown and head the hockey team there?
2. Who is Ramona and what is her relationship to the Pack?
3. What sound is indicated in italics in Chapter 2? What does this foreshadow?
4. Who is Tails and what is his involvement with the hockey team?
5. What does the banner say that is seen in the hockey club president's office? What does it represent?
6. Who does Jeanette find at the high school after the alarm has gone off in Chapter 24? What is this character doing at the school?
7. How would you describe Fatima's relationship with her son?
8. What is the bet that William Lyt makes in Chapter 21? What is the significance of this bet?
9. What does Benji demand to know from Kevin in Chapter 23? What is Kevin's response?
10. Compare and contrast the settings of the Heights and the Hollow. What characters live in each of these settings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of hockey as a metaphor in Beartown. What does the game represent on a basic level? What is the game's importance to the main characters in the story? How does hockey relate to life and to coming of age?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of community in the novel. What does community mean on a basic level for the characters in the story? What are the negative aspects of community that are explored? What symbolism connects with this theme?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the setting of Beartown. Where is Beartown located? What are the most notable aspects of this setting? How does the setting of the story reflect upon its characters, subject matter, and themes?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)