|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which city did the marchers first encounter hostility?
2. King abandoned a writing campaign about peace in which country?
3. The judge ruled that the march to Montgomery had to have less than what number of marchers?
4. In Selma, King was suffering from what?
5. What happened to Meredith along his walk?
Short Essay Questions
1. What organizational and political struggles did King face after Kennedy's death?
2. Which city was chosen as the next venue for SCLC demonstrations? Why was it chosen as a site for demonstrations?
3. What happened to the Meredith March after Meredith was shot?
4. How did King feel about the war in Vietnam? How did he become involved in the debate over the war? What reaction did people have to this?
5. What did the federal Office of Education do in Chicago? How did this affect the movement?
6. What did King and the others do to increase the pressure on officials in Selma? Were these actions a success?
7. What did King demand of the city of Birmingham? What happened?
8. What did Hoover tell reporters? How did King react? What effect did the rumors have?
9. What was King's new book about? What interruptions did he face in writing it? How was the book received?
10. What did King and the SCLC do in Chicago that caused an uproar in the press? Why did they do this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was SNCC? How did this organization differ from some of the other civil rights organizations involved in the movement? What was the role of SNCC in the movement? What activities did the organization use?
Essay Topic 2
What was the March on Washington? What were the aims of this demonstration? What famous aspect of the Civil Rights Movement occurred during this demonstration? Was the march a success? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Why were the FBI investigating King? How did the FBI investigate King? How did King feel about this? What effect did the investigation have on King and the movement?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)