|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The grand jury in St. Augustine said they would agree to form a biracial committee after the Civil Rights activists did what?
2. As King went to register at a local hotel, who attacked him?
3. In October, the federal Office of Education stopped funding to which city's schools because of segregation?
4. Who rejected the idea that potential voters should sign a book so they could be received in order?
5. Who was famous for being the first black man to enroll at the University of Mississippi?
Short Essay Questions
1. Activists in which city approached King about helping them with their boycotts and demonstrations? What was the situation in this city?
2. What obstacles did King and the others face during the Meredith March? How did they handle these obstacles?
3. Where did riots break out? What did King say caused the riots?
4. How did King feel about the war in Vietnam? How did he become involved in the debate over the war? What reaction did people have to this?
5. Why did King agree to suspend all demonstrations in St. Augustine? What did he learn after doing this?
6. Following the protests in Selma, what other avenues to desegregation did the SCLC discuss? What did King share with the SCLC at this meeting?
7. What was King's new book about? What interruptions did he face in writing it? How was the book received?
8. What organizational and political struggles did King face after Kennedy's death?
9. What occurred during the Chicago marches? What did city officials do?
10. Who was James Meredith? What did he decide to do? What happened to him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationship between King and Abernathy. Compare and contrast the men and their ideas about the Civil Rights Movement. Did any tensions exist between the men? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
How did the Vietnam War influence the Civil Rights Movement? How did King feel about the war? Why did he believe that the war contributed to the riots in the US in the 1960s?
Essay Topic 3
How did local cities and towns handle the demonstrations and boycotts by the Civil Rights Movement? What actions did they take? Do you think cities should have reacted the way that they did? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,075 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)