|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In October, the federal Office of Education stopped funding to which city's schools because of segregation?
2. Where did King and the potential voters refuse to vacate the sidewalk?
3. The mayor of Chicago announced a plan to clean up what?
4. What did Meredith want to encourage with this walk?
5. As King went to register at a local hotel, who attacked him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Bloody Sunday? Describe this event.
2. Who was James Meredith? What did he decide to do? What happened to him?
3. What did the federal Office of Education do in Chicago? How did this affect the movement?
4. What occurred during the Chicago marches? What did city officials do?
5. Following the protests in Selma, what other avenues to desegregation did the SCLC discuss? What did King share with the SCLC at this meeting?
6. What obstacles did King and the others face during the Meredith March? How did they handle these obstacles?
7. How did SNCC feel about the Chicago agreement? What did they do to show their displeasure? How was SNCC changing?
8. What did King demand of the city of Birmingham? What happened?
9. What did King and the SCLC do in Chicago that caused an uproar in the press? Why did they do this?
10. What was the Coordinating Committee of Community Organizations? Where was this group located?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the Civil Rights Movement? What goals did the movement have? Was the movement successful in reaching these goals? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Who was Martin Luther King, Jr.? What was his background? How did he become involved in the Civil Rights Movement? What did King contribute to the movement?
Essay Topic 3
What was the Freedom Ride? How did this demonstration begin? What happened during the demonstration? Why do you think these events happened? Was the demonstration a success? Why or why not?
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)