|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What caused King to fall into a depression?
2. In St. Augustine, rumors arose that the sheriff was a part of what group?
3. The Democratic Convention took place in which city?
4. Why was there an uproar in the Chicago press about King?
5. Who heckled King during his speech?
Short Essay Questions
1. What obstacles did King and the others face during the Meredith March? How did they handle these obstacles?
2. Why did King agree to suspend all demonstrations in St. Augustine? What did he learn after doing this?
3. How did King feel about the war in Vietnam? How did he become involved in the debate over the war? What reaction did people have to this?
4. What did King and the others do to increase the pressure on officials in Selma? Were these actions a success?
5. Activists in which city approached King about helping them with their boycotts and demonstrations? What was the situation in this city?
6. What occurred during the Chicago marches? What did city officials do?
7. What did the federal Office of Education do in Chicago? How did this affect the movement?
8. Which city was chosen as the next venue for SCLC demonstrations? Why was it chosen as a site for demonstrations?
9. What did King demand of the city of Birmingham? What happened?
10. Who was James Meredith? What did he decide to do? What happened to him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the Vietnam War influence the Civil Rights Movement? How did King feel about the war? Why did he believe that the war contributed to the riots in the US in the 1960s?
Essay Topic 2
What was the Montgomery Bus Boycott? How did the boycott start? How did city officials react? Was the boycott successful?
Essay Topic 3
What was The Meredith March? Who started this march? What happened during the march? What happened after the march resumed? What obstacles did the marchers face?
This section contains 983 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)