|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tensions between the SCLC and which group grew during 1963 and 1964?
2. The CCCO was based in which city?
3. King was approached by activists in which Florida city to help them garner support in the SCLC for demonstrations?
4. Who was to lead the march in Selma?
5. In St. Augustine, rumors arose that the sheriff was a part of what group?
Short Essay Questions
1. What occurred during the Chicago marches? What did city officials do?
2. What health struggles did King encounter? What contributed to this? What award did he learn that he had won?
3. What did King and the others do to increase the pressure on officials in Selma? Were these actions a success?
4. Why did the SCLC and King become interested in Chicago?
5. What was the Coordinating Committee of Community Organizations? Where was this group located?
6. Why was King arrested in St. Augustine? What was the result of the grand jury?
7. Activists in which city approached King about helping them with their boycotts and demonstrations? What was the situation in this city?
8. What obstacles did King and the others face during the Meredith March? How did they handle these obstacles?
9. What did Hoover tell reporters? How did King react? What effect did the rumors have?
10. How did King feel about the war in Vietnam? How did he become involved in the debate over the war? What reaction did people have to this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the March on Washington? What were the aims of this demonstration? What famous aspect of the Civil Rights Movement occurred during this demonstration? Was the march a success? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
How did the Vietnam War influence the Civil Rights Movement? How did King feel about the war? Why did he believe that the war contributed to the riots in the US in the 1960s?
Essay Topic 3
What was the second March on Washington called? How was King's focus shifting by the time of this demonstration? Why do you think this shift was occurring?
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)