|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was famous for being the first black man to enroll at the University of Mississippi?
2. What illnesses did King suffer from in the summer of 1965?
3. The Democratic Convention took place in which city?
4. Demonstrations began in which state to test the compliance of the Civil Rights Act of 1964?
5. Where did the marchers attempt to camp, but were told to move on?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the federal Office of Education do in Chicago? How did this affect the movement?
2. Where did riots break out? What did King say caused the riots?
3. What did King and the others do to increase the pressure on officials in Selma? Were these actions a success?
4. What did King demand of the city of Birmingham? What happened?
5. Who first used the term "black power?" How did King feel about the term?
6. Which city was chosen as the next venue for SCLC demonstrations? Why was it chosen as a site for demonstrations?
7. How did SNCC feel about the Chicago agreement? What did they do to show their displeasure? How was SNCC changing?
8. Who was James Meredith? What did he decide to do? What happened to him?
9. Activists in which city approached King about helping them with their boycotts and demonstrations? What was the situation in this city?
10. What happened to the Meredith March after Meredith was shot?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did local cities and towns handle the demonstrations and boycotts by the Civil Rights Movement? What actions did they take? Do you think cities should have reacted the way that they did? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What was the second March on Washington called? How was King's focus shifting by the time of this demonstration? Why do you think this shift was occurring?
Essay Topic 3
What was the Freedom Ride? How did this demonstration begin? What happened during the demonstration? Why do you think these events happened? Was the demonstration a success? Why or why not?
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)