|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Meredith want to encourage with this walk?
2. The FBI observed meetings between King and whom?
3. What were the marchers attacked with in Canton?
4. King learned that the Johnson Administration was taking money from social programs for what?
5. One of SNCC's leaders was arrested in Atlanta on what charge?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the federal Office of Education do in Chicago? How did this affect the movement?
2. What did Hoover tell reporters? How did King react? What effect did the rumors have?
3. Which city was chosen as the next venue for SCLC demonstrations? Why was it chosen as a site for demonstrations?
4. What was Bloody Sunday? Describe this event.
5. Why was King arrested in St. Augustine? What was the result of the grand jury?
6. What did the SCLC turn their attention to in Chicago? What programs did it implement?
7. What was the Coordinating Committee of Community Organizations? Where was this group located?
8. What occurred during the Chicago marches? What did city officials do?
9. Activists in which city approached King about helping them with their boycotts and demonstrations? What was the situation in this city?
10. Where did riots break out? What did King say caused the riots?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the tensions that existed in the Civil Rights Movement. This may include tensions between organizations and between people. Why do you think these tensions existed? How were they handled? Would you have done anything differently?
Essay Topic 2
What was The Meredith March? Who started this march? What happened during the march? What happened after the march resumed? What obstacles did the marchers face?
Essay Topic 3
What was the Montgomery Bus Boycott? How did this protest begin? What influence did the boycott have on the Civil Rights Movement? Was the boycott successful? Why or why not?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)