|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The grand jury in St. Augustine said they would agree to form a biracial committee after the Civil Rights activists did what?
2. What tragedy happened before the march to Montgomery?
3. What caused tension between the SCLC and SNCC?
4. The CCCO was based in which city?
5. In St. Augustine, rumors arose that the sheriff was a part of what group?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did King and the others do to increase the pressure on officials in Selma? Were these actions a success?
2. What did Hoover tell reporters? How did King react? What effect did the rumors have?
3. What was Bloody Sunday? Describe this event.
4. Why did King agree to suspend all demonstrations in St. Augustine? What did he learn after doing this?
5. Activists in which city approached King about helping them with their boycotts and demonstrations? What was the situation in this city?
6. Which city was chosen as the next venue for SCLC demonstrations? Why was it chosen as a site for demonstrations?
7. What obstacles did King and the others face during the Meredith March? How did they handle these obstacles?
8. Following the protests in Selma, what other avenues to desegregation did the SCLC discuss? What did King share with the SCLC at this meeting?
9. Who was James Meredith? What did he decide to do? What happened to him?
10. Why was King arrested in St. Augustine? What was the result of the grand jury?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was SNCC? How did this organization differ from some of the other civil rights organizations involved in the movement? What was the role of SNCC in the movement? What activities did the organization use?
Essay Topic 2
What was Bloody Sunday? What happened during this demonstration? How did King become involved in the situation? What did King and the others plan and how did this turn out?
Essay Topic 3
What was the March on Washington? What were the aims of this demonstration? What famous aspect of the Civil Rights Movement occurred during this demonstration? Was the march a success? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,062 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)