|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who went with King to meet with Nixon?
2. Why were SNCC members upset with King?
(a) They felt he was doing too much in the organization.
(b) They felt he was getting too much credit for the sit-ins.
(c) He tried to usurp the president of the group.
(d) He wanted to end the Freedom Rides.
3. Why did the Freedom Riders feel disappointed in King?
(a) He spent some of the money they had planned on using.
(b) He failed to mention them in a speech in Washington DC.
(c) He refused to go along with them, citing his probation problems.
(d) He did not want to serve on their advisory panel.
4. Martin Luther King, Jr. was the pastor of what church?
(a) North Atlanta Congregational Church.
(b) Grace Lutheran Church.
(c) Dexter Avenue Baptist Church.
(d) St. Mary Magdalene Episcopal Church.
5. In what newspaper was an ad taken out to defend MLK, Jr.?
(a) The Atlanta Gazette.
(b) The New York Times.
(c) The Alabama Reporter.
(d) The Chicago Defender.
6. Who was murdered in his driveway on the night that Kennedy mobilized the Alabama National Guard?
(a) Roy Wilkins.
(b) Martin Luther King, Jr.
(c) Ralph Abernathy.
(d) Medgar Evers.
7. Who was the most important person in King's life as a child?
(a) His grandmother.
(b) His father.
(c) His uncle.
(d) His sister.
8. In what state was the governor fighting integration of a high school?
9. Why did the bus boycott not end when the bus company was losing so much money?
(a) A judge ordered the continuation of the boycott.
(b) The city refused to compromise.
(c) The bus company prefered to go out of business.
(d) The Albany Movement wanted to crush the bus company.
10. How many people were arrested at the trial for the arrested SNCC train riders?
11. Why did a riot break out?
(a) The state troopers had moved from the site of the bombings.
(b) Whites attacked several blacks on the way to church.
(c) The bombs killed 35 people.
(d) The city went back on its agreement.
12. The four major Civil Rights organizations joined together to create what organization?
(a) Voter Education Project.
(b) US Justice Project.
(c) Freedom Riders Project.
(d) Southern Racism Project.
13. Who did King marry?
14. Where did King hold a prayer-in?
(a) Police headquarters.
(b) The library.
(c) The courthouse.
(d) A motel restaurant.
15. King was accused of what by the state of Alabama?
(a) Perjury for lying on a state tax return.
(b) Unlawful mob action.
(c) A hit and run accident.
(d) Stealing from the SCLC.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did King want the Kennedy Administration to issue?
2. Who called the judge on the trial and suggested that King had a right to bond while waiting his appeal?
3. The first federal Civil Rights Act did what?
4. King announced planned protests outside of what political event(s)?
5. King announced that a Second Emancipation Proclamation would be delivered where?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)