|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The white merchants resisted what aim?
(a) Desegregating the retail stores.
(b) Desegregating the city government.
(c) Having fair hiring practices in the retail stores.
(d) The formation of a biracial committee.
2. How long was King sentenced to jail for violating his probation?
(a) 5 years.
(b) 4 months.
(c) 9 months.
(d) 8 days.
3. What was not included in the boycotts in Albany?
(a) The library.
(c) Public transportation.
(d) Retail stores.
4. What organization removed King from office?
(c) National Baptist Convention.
5. What did King want the Kennedy Administration to issue?
(a) A Second Emancipation Proclamation.
(b) Reparations for slavery.
(c) An apology for Jim Crow.
(d) A segregation bill.
6. Which university had the front doors blocked to keep several black students from registering?
(a) University of California.
(b) University of Alabama.
(c) Marquette University.
(d) Emory University.
7. Where did a bomb explode in January?
(a) Bethel Baptist Church.
(b) Albany Sheraton Hotel.
(c) Birmingham Public Library.
(d) First Methodist Church.
8. What was the turnout like at the March to Washington?
(a) It exceeded expectations.
(b) It was much less than expectations.
(c) It was less than expectations.
(d) It met expectations.
9. Who did King marry?
10. The focus of the Birmingham protests was on what?
(a) A bus station.
(b) Department stores.
(c) A Baptist church.
(d) The courthouse.
11. Which organization was formed to oversee the boycott and legal maneuvering?
(a) Montgomery Improvement Association.
(b) Savannah Civil Rights Campaign.
(c) Atlanta Race Initiative.
(d) Memphis Equality Association.
12. Martin Luther King, Jr. was the pastor of what church?
(a) North Atlanta Congregational Church.
(b) Grace Lutheran Church.
(c) St. Mary Magdalene Episcopal Church.
(d) Dexter Avenue Baptist Church.
13. Why did negotiations fail with the city officials?
(a) They refused to set up a biracial committee.
(b) They refused to desegregate the city government.
(c) They refused to drop the charges against the protesters.
(d) They refused to stop using fire hoses on protesters.
14. In what newspaper was an ad taken out to defend MLK, Jr.?
(a) The New York Times.
(b) The Atlanta Gazette.
(c) The Chicago Defender.
(d) The Alabama Reporter.
15. What magazine did King's picture appear on in 1957?
(a) Sports Illustrated.
(d) Good Housekeeping.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did a riot break out?
2. Why were SNCC members upset with King?
3. Which college did King attend?
4. Who called the judge on the trial and suggested that King had a right to bond while waiting his appeal?
5. Why did the bus boycott not end when the bus company was losing so much money?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)