|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Virgie Mae Parsons claim the images of the flower represent ?
2. How many times a week does Taylor visit Cynthia?
3. What does the Guatemalan police use telephones and electricity for?
4. Where does Turtle go while Taylor was away with Mattie, Esteban and Esperanza?
5. How many wishes does Taylor make while on her drive with Esteban and Esperanza?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 13, Taylor receives news that she may lose Turtle due to the legal adoption system. Taylor has grown attached to Turtle, yet it is still a tough decision as to whether or not she should give Turtle up to the authorities. Why is the decision so difficult for Taylor, given the knowledge on the relationship between Taylor and Turtle?
Essay Topic 2
It is clear through the text that Esteban has strong affection for Taylor, but even stronger and more romantic affection for his wife, Esperanza. Does Esteban ever cross marital bounds, in your opinion? How? Do you believe that he loves Esperanza?
Essay Topic 3
Turtle facilitates many changes in Taylor's character throughout the novel, yet Turtle herself is not a highly developed character. Why do you think this is? Could Turtle be a representative for something else? If so, what?
This section contains 240 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)