|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Esteban, Esperanza and Taylor get stopped when Taylor is driving them?
2. What point in the year is it in Chapter 10?
3. What animal is making the sound that the characters hear in Chapter 12?
4. In Chapter 13, Mrs. Parsons signals to a flower. When does this flower bloom?
5. Lou Ann believes that Dwayne Ray will not live to see the year _____.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel Taylor's perception of men is ambiguous. They do not seem to be an important part in her life. The novel's character list also consists mainly of women. It is not until Esteban is introduced that the reader meets a good man. After meeting Esteban, Taylor's ideas about men change. How do they change? What do you think the author is trying to suggest by her placement of men within the novel? Why?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 8, Taylor learns from Estevan that Roosevelt Park actually was named for Eleanor, rather than Franklin or Theodore. What could Taylor's prior notions regarding the park mean? Why is the fact important to the story? Why did the author decided to incorporate it? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
What do you believe is the overarching theme of the novel as a whole? Why? Describe this theme.
This section contains 226 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)