|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Lou Ann during Esperanza's attempted suicide?
2. What does Esperanza give to Turtle in Chapter 16?
3. Virgie Mae Parsons points to a flower in Chapter 13. What happens to the flower if it is touched?
4. What is the national bird of Esteban's homeland?
5. Where does Turtle go while Taylor was away with Mattie, Esteban and Esperanza?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Esteban and Angel are the most prominent male characters in text; however, they are very different from one another. Compare and contrast Angel and Esteban. What do they each symbolize in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 1, Taylor finds herself in a Cherokee Nation. Though Taylor and her mother's bother have Cherokee blood in them, Taylor seems disappointed with the town. Why does Taylor feels this way? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Mattie is a strong older woman who appears to be very wise. Kingsolver uses Mattie as a vessel to project socio-political ideals. Do you believe that Mattie is a surrogate for Kingsolver? Why or why not?
This section contains 215 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)