|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Guatemalan police use telephones and electricity for?
2. What does Esteban use before engaging in a dance while on a trip with Esperanza, Taylor and Mattie?
3. What does Lou Ann bring to Taylor's bedroom in Chapter 12?
4. What does Taylor realize about Edna in Chapter 10?
5. What did Esteban and Esperanza have to wear during the adoption meeting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Esteban and Angel are the most prominent male characters in text; however, they are very different from one another. Compare and contrast Angel and Esteban. What do they each symbolize in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Toward the end of the novel, Lou Ann moves on to another man. Do you believe that she and her new boyfriend will share a similar relationship to that of she and Angel? Why? Why not?
Essay Topic 3
Mattie is a strong older woman who appears to be very wise. Kingsolver uses Mattie as a vessel to project socio-political ideals. Do you believe that Mattie is a surrogate for Kingsolver? Why or why not?
This section contains 216 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)