|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Turtle yell when passing a cemetery?
2. Who watched Turtle while Taylor was away with Mattie?
3. What is lying dead in the center line of the road as Taylor drives with Esteban and Esperanza late in the novel?
4. What does Esperanza give to Turtle in Chapter 16?
5. What does Taylor have to call Esteban and Esperanza while they travel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 8, Taylor learns from Estevan that Roosevelt Park actually was named for Eleanor, rather than Franklin or Theodore. What could Taylor's prior notions regarding the park mean? Why is the fact important to the story? Why did the author decided to incorporate it? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
It is clear through the text that Esteban has strong affection for Taylor, but even stronger and more romantic affection for his wife, Esperanza. Does Esteban ever cross marital bounds, in your opinion? How? Do you believe that he loves Esperanza?
Essay Topic 3
Maternal qualities are presented throughout the novel. Do you think Taylor possess some maternal qualities? Is this something important to Taylor? Does she work to build on her maternal instincts? Could her relationship with her own mother influenced these maternal qualities?
This section contains 237 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)