|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Virgie Mae Parsons claim the images of the flower represent ?
2. What does the Guatemalan police use telephones and electricity for?
3. What is Lou Ann involved in during Chapter 10?
4. Mattie informs Taylor that Esteban and Esperanza will move away. Where will they go?
5. Where are Esteban and Taylor curled up in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Turtle facilitates many changes in Taylor's character throughout the novel, yet Turtle herself is not a highly developed character. Why do you think this is? Could Turtle be a representative for something else? If so, what?
Essay Topic 2
Growing up in Pittman, Kentucky, Taylor was often compared to Newt Harbine. After Newt's death, Taylor seemed determined to flee Pittman. Did she fear that she may end up like Newt? Do you believe that Taylor is similar to Newt? How? Why do you think this?
Essay Topic 3
Explain what it means to you that Mattie has never changed the name of the tire shop given that she may not completely agree the religious fanaticism of her late husband. Do you believe that the name gives her something to hold onto? Why or why not?
This section contains 241 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)