|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Guatemalan police use telephones and electricity for?
2. Where are Esteban and Taylor curled up in Chapter 9?
3. What does Esteban say about Turtle in Chapter 14?
4. Mattie informs Taylor that Esteban and Esperanza will move away. Where will they go?
5. Why did Esperanza and Esteban need to look different in Chapter 16?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Relationships are a large part of the novel. Choose a relationship to analyze. Answer the following questions: What is the driving force behind this relationship? Do these characters get along? Why or why not? How has this relationship help the form the personality of each character involved?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 13, Taylor receives news that she may lose Turtle due to the legal adoption system. Taylor has grown attached to Turtle, yet it is still a tough decision as to whether or not she should give Turtle up to the authorities. Why is the decision so difficult for Taylor, given the knowledge on the relationship between Taylor and Turtle?
Essay Topic 3
With which character in the novel do you most closely identify? Why? How do their world views compare to your own?
This section contains 274 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)