|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Esteban use before engaging in a dance while on a trip with Esperanza, Taylor and Mattie?
2. In Chapter 13, Mrs. Parsons signals to a flower. When does this flower bloom?
3. What does Turtle say to Esteban when he gives her a pep talk in Chapter 16?
4. Who watched Turtle while Taylor was away with Mattie?
5. Who comes to Lou Ann in dreams to give her the predictions about Dwayne Ray?
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 8, Taylor learns from Estevan that Roosevelt Park actually was named for Eleanor, rather than Franklin or Theodore. What could Taylor's prior notions regarding the park mean? Why is the fact important to the story? Why did the author decided to incorporate it? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Esteban and Angel are the most prominent male characters in text; however, they are very different from one another. Compare and contrast Angel and Esteban. What do they each symbolize in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Maternal qualities are presented throughout the novel. Do you think Taylor possess some maternal qualities? Is this something important to Taylor? Does she work to build on her maternal instincts? Could her relationship with her own mother influenced these maternal qualities?
This section contains 1,025 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)