|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lou Ann wave to her mother and grandmother?
2. What date is it when Chapter 3 begins?
3. What prompts Taylor to look for a roommate?
4. Taylor's teacher, Hughes Walter, helped her get her first job. What subject did he teach?
5. What words does Lou Ann use to describe Taylor in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Taylor believe that the Cherokee nation would be a good place for Esteban and Esperanza to stay?
2. Is Lou Ann surprised when she realizes that Angel has left her?
3. Why does Taylor look down on Esperanza for attempting suicide?
4. What type of ceremony does Lou Ann decide to hold for her baby's christening? Why?
5. Describe the relationship between Newt Hardbine and his father.
6. Explain why Taylor and her passengers were stopped at the New Mexico border.
7. Why does Angel agree to move back in with Lou Ann?
8. What are Lou Ann's "routines"? And why does she perform them?
9. Is Taylor an independent person? Explain.
10. Taylor is unhappy about her mother's impending marriage. Lou Ann tells Taylor that her mother needs to live her own life. What does Lou Ann tell Taylor about her own mother? How does this relate to her advice?
Essay Topic 1
With which character in the novel do you most closely identify? Why? How do their world views compare to your own?
Essay Topic 2
Explain what it means to you that Mattie has never changed the name of the tire shop given that she may not completely agree the religious fanaticism of her late husband. Do you believe that the name gives her something to hold onto? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 13, Taylor receives news that she may lose Turtle due to the legal adoption system. Taylor has grown attached to Turtle, yet it is still a tough decision as to whether or not she should give Turtle up to the authorities. Why is the decision so difficult for Taylor, given the knowledge on the relationship between Taylor and Turtle?
This section contains 1,772 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)