|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nationality is Angel?
2. What does Lou Ann talk about in length as she and Taylor eat dinner
3. Where did Mattie get her purple beans?
4. What words does Lou Ann use to describe Taylor in Chapter 5?
5. Where in Arizona does Chapter Two take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. Turtle says "Mama" when seeing something in connection with a burial. How does Taylor handle this?
2. Describe the conditions a Red Hot Mama's salsa factory. Does Lou Ann like this job?
3. Describe the incident in the garden between Taylor, Lou Ann and Turtle in Chapter 10.
4. What is Lou Ann reading at the end of Chapter 6? Why?
5. What does Mattie give to Taylor and Turtle at the beginning of Chapter 3? Why?
6. What is the reaction of Granny Logan and Lou Ann's mother when Lou Ann asks them to stay longer?
7. What does Esteban suggest to Taylor after realizing that she is judgmental of Esperanza's actions?
8. What type of ceremony does Lou Ann decide to hold for her baby's christening? Why?
9. Explain Lou Ann's fearful dream of Dwayne Ray. What does Lou Ann think about this?
10. Explain why Lou Ann falls for Angel.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It is clear through the text that Esteban has strong affection for Taylor, but even stronger and more romantic affection for his wife, Esperanza. Does Esteban ever cross marital bounds, in your opinion? How? Do you believe that he loves Esperanza?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 11, the reader sees a change in Lou Ann's character. She tells Taylor of a dream that she has. An angel comes to her and tells her that Dwayne Ray will not live to see the year 2000. Lou Ann also reads her horoscope that says she will take advice from a stranger. Lou Ann believes that this stranger is the angel. What do you believe to be the significance of these events?
Essay Topic 3
Toward the end of the novel, Lou Ann moves on to another man. Do you believe that she and her new boyfriend will share a similar relationship to that of she and Angel? Why? Why not?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)