|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many days does Taylor work at the Burger Derby?
2. Why does Taylor stop working at the Burger Derby?
3. Where did Angel drive Lou Ann's mother and grandmother?
4. What does Mattie talk about on television?
5. Where did Mattie get her purple beans?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the social worker, Cynthia, tell Taylor in Chapter 13?
2. Describe the conversation between Mattie and Taylor in Chapter 13, regarding Esteban and Esperanza.
3. Why does Taylor look down on Esperanza for attempting suicide?
4. Who does Taylor invite to dinner in cCapter 7? Why? What do they do?
5. Explain why Lou Ann falls for Angel.
6. What does Lou Ann criticize Taylor for in Chapter 12?
7. Explain Lou Ann's fearful dream of Dwayne Ray. What does Lou Ann think about this?
8. What pops into Taylor's head when a priest comes to visit Mattie in Chapter 6? Explain this situation.
9. What did Taylor have to let go of in Chapter 17? Why?
10. Explain why Taylor and her passengers were stopped at the New Mexico border.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 11, the reader sees a change in Lou Ann's character. She tells Taylor of a dream that she has. An angel comes to her and tells her that Dwayne Ray will not live to see the year 2000. Lou Ann also reads her horoscope that says she will take advice from a stranger. Lou Ann believes that this stranger is the angel. What do you believe to be the significance of these events?
Essay Topic 2
The theme of gardening is mentioned throughout the entire novel. The idea of growing seems to be important to the author. Why do you think that is? Why use a garden as a means of explaining the way in which things grow? How do you view growth in relation to the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Esteban and Angel are the most prominent male characters in text; however, they are very different from one another. Compare and contrast Angel and Esteban. What do they each symbolize in the novel?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)