|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where in Arizona does Chapter Two take place?
2. Why does Granny Logan want to baptize Dwayne Ray in specific water?
3. In Chapter 5, what wakes Taylor and Turtle each morning at 6:15?
4. What does Lou Ann talk about in length as she and Taylor eat dinner
5. Who does Taylor have romantic feelings toward?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the incident in the garden between Taylor, Lou Ann and Turtle in Chapter 10.
2. Why does Angel agree to move back in with Lou Ann?
3. Describe the relationship between Newt Hardbine and his father.
4. How is Taylor feeling about being a mom in Chapter 7? Explain.
5. Why does Taylor look down on Esperanza for attempting suicide?
6. How does Taylor feel about taking the food and drink from Mattie?
7. What changes can be observed in Esteban and Esperanza as they travel deeper into the Cherokee nation during Chapter 15?
8. What does the social worker, Cynthia, tell Taylor in Chapter 13?
9. How does Taylor obtain newspapers?
10. Describe Taylor's first meeting with Lou Ann.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Mattie is a strong older woman who appears to be very wise. Kingsolver uses Mattie as a vessel to project socio-political ideals. Do you believe that Mattie is a surrogate for Kingsolver? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2Toward the end of the novel, Lou Ann moves on to another man. Do you believe that she and her new boyfriend will share a similar relationship to that of she and Angel? Why? Why not?
Essay Topic 3Explain what it means to you that Mattie has never changed the name of the tire shop given that she may not completely agree the religious fanaticism of her late husband. Do you believe that the name gives her something to hold onto? Why or why not?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)