|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lou Ann wear to bed the night Angel leaves her?
2. What type of shop is next door to Jesus is Lord Used Tires?
3. What did Mattie buy for Turtle in Chapter 6?
4. What is Lou Ann reminded of when she sees Jesus is Lord Used Tires?
5. Lou Ann cautions Taylor about ______ , afraid that Turtle will choke on them.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Taylor believe that the Cherokee nation would be a good place for Esteban and Esperanza to stay?
2. Is Lou Ann surprised when she realizes that Angel has left her?
3. Why does Angel agree to move back in with Lou Ann?
4. What changes can be observed in Esteban and Esperanza as they travel deeper into the Cherokee nation during Chapter 15?
5. What does Lou Ann believe to be Turtle's given name? Why?
6. Why does Taylor look down on Esperanza for attempting suicide?
7. What did Taylor have to let go of in Chapter 17? Why?
8. Who does Taylor invite to dinner in cCapter 7? Why? What do they do?
9. What does Lou Ann constantly show her mother regarding Mexican Americans? Why does Lou Ann do this?
10. What is Taylor's reaction when the old woman gives her Turtle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you believe is the overarching theme of the novel as a whole? Why? Describe this theme.
Essay Topic 2
Toward the end of the novel, Lou Ann moves on to another man. Do you believe that she and her new boyfriend will share a similar relationship to that of she and Angel? Why? Why not?
Essay Topic 3
Growing up in Pittman, Kentucky, Taylor was often compared to Newt Harbine. After Newt's death, Taylor seemed determined to flee Pittman. Did she fear that she may end up like Newt? Do you believe that Taylor is similar to Newt? How? Why do you think this?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)