|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are Taylor and Turtle living?
2. Why does Granny Logan want to baptize Dwayne Ray in specific water?
3. In Chapter 5, what wakes Taylor and Turtle each morning at 6:15?
4. What does Terry bring with him when he visits Mattie?
5. Where does Chapter 3 take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of ceremony does Lou Ann decide to hold for her baby's christening? Why?
2. What is Taylor's reaction when the old woman gives her Turtle?
3. Who does Taylor invite to dinner in cCapter 7? Why? What do they do?
4. What does Mattie give to Taylor and Turtle at the beginning of Chapter 3? Why?
5. Why does Taylor believe that the Cherokee nation would be a good place for Esteban and Esperanza to stay?
6. Why does Taylor look down on Esperanza for attempting suicide?
7. Why does Lou Ann avoid Lee Sing's market? Explain.
8. Taylor is unhappy about her mother's impending marriage. Lou Ann tells Taylor that her mother needs to live her own life. What does Lou Ann tell Taylor about her own mother? How does this relate to her advice?
9. Describe the conditions a Red Hot Mama's salsa factory. Does Lou Ann like this job?
10. Explain why Lou Ann falls for Angel.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Relationships are a large part of the novel. Choose a relationship to analyze. Answer the following questions: What is the driving force behind this relationship? Do these characters get along? Why or why not? How has this relationship help the form the personality of each character involved?
Essay Topic 2
Toward the end of the novel, Lou Ann moves on to another man. Do you believe that she and her new boyfriend will share a similar relationship to that of she and Angel? Why? Why not?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 1, Taylor finds herself in a Cherokee Nation. Though Taylor and her mother's bother have Cherokee blood in them, Taylor seems disappointed with the town. Why does Taylor feels this way? Explain.
This section contains 1,668 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)