Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lou Ann's husband leaves her on which holiday?
2. When is Lou Ann's child due?
3. How far apart are Taylor and Lou Ann's home towns?
4. What day did Taylor, Esteban, Esperanza and Turtle have a picnic?
5. What does Mattie promise Taylor in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the Tug Fork water?
2. Taylor begins looking for a roommate in Chapter 5. Describe the people Taylor meets after searching the want ads.
3. In Chapter 7, Esteban tells a story. What is his story about, and at what point in the chapter does he decide to include it? Why do you believe he does this?
4. In Chapter 9, Esteban reveals the truth about their daughter, Ismene, and how she was taken from him. Explain circumstances that led to Ismene being taken.
5. Why is Lou Ann waiting for Taylor when she returns from her trip to the desert? What does Lou Ann have to say?
6. Who does Taylor invite to dinner in cCapter 7? Why? What do they do?
7. What type of ceremony does Lou Ann decide to hold for her baby's christening? Why?
8. What is Lou Ann's reaction to the adoption situation that takes place in Chapter 13?
9. On what day do Mattie, Esteban, Esperanza and Taylor take their short trip? Why is this day important? Where are they going?
10. Explain the situation that takes place in the law office.
Essay Topic 1
Explain what it means to you that Mattie has never changed the name of the tire shop given that she may not completely agree the religious fanaticism of her late husband. Do you believe that the name gives her something to hold onto? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
How does Taylor change throughout the novel? How do her ideas change, and which characters have spawned the most change in Taylor?
Essay Topic 3
Growing up in Pittman, Kentucky, Taylor was often compared to Newt Harbine. After Newt's death, Taylor seemed determined to flee Pittman. Did she fear that she may end up like Newt? Do you believe that Taylor is similar to Newt? How? Why do you think this?
This section contains 1,055 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)