|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event in Taylor's life influences her to leave home?
2. What did Lou Ann claim to fall for Angel?
3. Why does Taylor stop working at the Burger Derby?
4. Where are Taylor and Turtle living?
5. What is Taylor's mother doing that she disagrees with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the Tug Fork water?
2. Is Lou Ann surprised when she realizes that Angel has left her?
3. How does Taylor react to Cynthia's news in Chapter 13?
4. Explain the circumstances that caused Taylor to decide to leave the Burger Derby.
5. What type of ceremony does Lou Ann decide to hold for her baby's christening? Why?
6. What does Taylor learn about the park's name in Chapter 8? From whom does she learn this?
7. What is Taylor's reaction when the old woman gives her Turtle?
8. What did Taylor have to let go of in Chapter 17? Why?
9. What changes can be observed in Esteban and Esperanza as they travel deeper into the Cherokee nation during Chapter 15?
10. What is Lou Ann's reaction to the adoption situation that takes place in Chapter 13?
Essay Topic 1
Esteban and Angel are the most prominent male characters in text; however, they are very different from one another. Compare and contrast Angel and Esteban. What do they each symbolize in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
What do you believe is the overarching theme of the novel as a whole? Why? Describe this theme.
Essay Topic 3
Explain what it means to you that Mattie has never changed the name of the tire shop given that she may not completely agree the religious fanaticism of her late husband. Do you believe that the name gives her something to hold onto? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,715 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)