|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Lou Ann's heart lurch?
2. What is Lou Ann reminded of when she sees Jesus is Lord Used Tires?
3. What type of trees are mentioned at the beginning of Chapter 7?
4. What color does Edna like to wear?
5. What are Taylor's favorite colors?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Lou Ann's character at the beginning of Chapter 2.
2. Turtle says "Mama" when seeing something in connection with a burial. How does Taylor handle this?
3. Describe Taylor's first meeting with Lou Ann.
4. What does Mattie give to Taylor and Turtle at the beginning of Chapter 3? Why?
5. Describe the relationship between Newt Hardbine and his father.
6. Describe the contents of the package that Lou Ann receives from Angel. What does Lou Ann think of this package?
7. In Chapter 7, Esteban tells a story. What is his story about, and at what point in the chapter does he decide to include it? Why do you believe he does this?
8. What type of store does Mattie own and how did it get its name?
9. How does Taylor react to Cynthia's news in Chapter 13?
10. What is the only way that Esteban and Esperanza would be able to stay in the states? What is the problem with this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Esteban and Angel are the most prominent male characters in text; however, they are very different from one another. Compare and contrast Angel and Esteban. What do they each symbolize in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 11, the reader sees a change in Lou Ann's character. She tells Taylor of a dream that she has. An angel comes to her and tells her that Dwayne Ray will not live to see the year 2000. Lou Ann also reads her horoscope that says she will take advice from a stranger. Lou Ann believes that this stranger is the angel. What do you believe to be the significance of these events?
Essay Topic 3
How does Taylor change throughout the novel? How do her ideas change, and which characters have spawned the most change in Taylor?
This section contains 1,026 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)