|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mattie talk about on television?
2. In addition to the doctor's comment about Turtle's health, he discovers something else after reading her X-rays. What does he find?
3. From where does the baptism water come?
4. What does the doctor say about Turtle's health in Chapter 8?
5. Where does Chapter 3 take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Taylor's reaction when the old woman gives her Turtle?
2. Describe the contents of the package that Lou Ann receives from Angel. What does Lou Ann think of this package?
3. What happens with Esteban and Taylor at the end of Chapter 9? How does Taylor handle it?
4. Why does Taylor look down on Esperanza for attempting suicide?
5. What does Esteban suggest to Taylor after realizing that she is judgmental of Esperanza's actions?
6. What does Taylor do before Esteban and Esperanza say goodbye? Why does she do this?
7. Describe Lou Ann's character at the beginning of Chapter 2.
8. Why does Lou Ann avoid Lee Sing's market? Explain.
9. Is Lou Ann surprised when she realizes that Angel has left her?
10. What did Taylor have to let go of in Chapter 17? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Taylor change throughout the novel? How do her ideas change, and which characters have spawned the most change in Taylor?
Essay Topic 2
At the close of Chapter 4, Bobby Bingo, a vegetable salesman warns Lou Ann, telling her "Whatever you want the most, it's going to be the worst thing for you." What does Bobby mean by this comment? What is the thing Lou Ann wants the most? And why would that be bad for her?
Essay Topic 3
It could be argued that the author takes a feminist's view of the world in the novel. Do you believe that the tone of the novel is that of a feminist? Why or why not? Be sure to include in text citations to support your claim.
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)