|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lou Ann's husband leaves her on which holiday?
2. In addition to the doctor's comment about Turtle's health, he discovers something else after reading her X-rays. What does he find?
3. What does Lou Ann talk about in length as she and Taylor eat dinner
4. Where did Lou Ann's brother move to?
5. What is also on the headstone of Lou Ann's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Taylor react to Cynthia's news in Chapter 13?
2. What is Taylor's reaction when the old woman gives her Turtle?
3. Who does Taylor invite to dinner in cCapter 7? Why? What do they do?
4. Describe Lou Ann's character at the beginning of Chapter 2.
5. What type of ceremony does Lou Ann decide to hold for her baby's christening? Why?
6. Describe the relationship between Newt Hardbine and his father.
7. In Chapter 4, Bobby Bingo tells Lou Ann that "Whatever you want the most, it's going to be the worst thing for you." How does Lou Ann feel about this?
8. Describe the conversation between Mattie and Taylor in Chapter 13, regarding Esteban and Esperanza.
9. Describe Taylor's first meeting with Lou Ann.
10. What does Mattie give to Taylor and Turtle at the beginning of Chapter 3? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel Taylor's perception of men is ambiguous. They do not seem to be an important part in her life. The novel's character list also consists mainly of women. It is not until Esteban is introduced that the reader meets a good man. After meeting Esteban, Taylor's ideas about men change. How do they change? What do you think the author is trying to suggest by her placement of men within the novel? Why?
Essay Topic 2
What do you believe is the overarching theme of the novel as a whole? Why? Describe this theme.
Essay Topic 3
Esteban and Angel are the most prominent male characters in text; however, they are very different from one another. Compare and contrast Angel and Esteban. What do they each symbolize in the novel?
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)