|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Angel lose in the car accident?
2. In Chapter 5, Lou Ann is concerned about Dwayne Ray's ______.
3. When is Lou Ann's child due?
4. What does Lou Ann want to do after realizing that Angel has left her?
5. How many days does Taylor work at the Burger Derby?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the conversation between Mattie and Taylor in Chapter 13, regarding Esteban and Esperanza.
2. Who does Taylor invite to dinner in cCapter 7? Why? What do they do?
3. What is Lou Ann reading at the end of Chapter 6? Why?
4. In Chapter 4, Bobby Bingo tells Lou Ann that "Whatever you want the most, it's going to be the worst thing for you." How does Lou Ann feel about this?
5. Why does Mattie toss the canister at Taylor in Chapter 6?
6. What are Lou Ann's "routines"? And why does she perform them?
7. What is the only way that Esteban and Esperanza would be able to stay in the states? What is the problem with this?
8. What does Taylor notice about Esperanza's face? When does she notice this?
9. How does Taylor react to Cynthia's news in Chapter 13?
10. What is the reaction of Granny Logan and Lou Ann's mother when Lou Ann asks them to stay longer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Maternal qualities are presented throughout the novel. Do you think Taylor possess some maternal qualities? Is this something important to Taylor? Does she work to build on her maternal instincts? Could her relationship with her own mother influenced these maternal qualities?
Essay Topic 2
It is clear through the text that Esteban has strong affection for Taylor, but even stronger and more romantic affection for his wife, Esperanza. Does Esteban ever cross marital bounds, in your opinion? How? Do you believe that he loves Esperanza?
Essay Topic 3
Relationships are a large part of the novel. Choose a relationship to analyze. Answer the following questions: What is the driving force behind this relationship? Do these characters get along? Why or why not? How has this relationship help the form the personality of each character involved?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)