|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color does Edna like to wear?
2. What is the problem with Taylor's car?
3. In Chapter 5, what wakes Taylor and Turtle each morning at 6:15?
4. What is Edna's annoying habit?
5. What does Lou Ann want to do after realizing that Angel has left her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Taylor obtain newspapers?
2. Who does Taylor invite to dinner in cCapter 7? Why? What do they do?
3. Describe the steps in which Taylor attempts to build a "family".
4. Why does Taylor look down on Esperanza for attempting suicide?
5. Describe Lou Ann's character at the beginning of Chapter 2.
6. What does Taylor discuss with Esperanza in Chapter 10?
7. Has Taylor's character evolved by Chapter 12? Explain.
8. What does Lou Ann believe to be Turtle's given name? Why?
9. Turtle says "Mama" when seeing something in connection with a burial. How does Taylor handle this?
10. What does Taylor do before Esteban and Esperanza say goodbye? Why does she do this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Taylor change throughout the novel? How do her ideas change, and which characters have spawned the most change in Taylor?
Essay Topic 2
It could be argued that the author takes a feminist's view of the world in the novel. Do you believe that the tone of the novel is that of a feminist? Why or why not? Be sure to include in text citations to support your claim.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 13, Taylor receives news that she may lose Turtle due to the legal adoption system. Taylor has grown attached to Turtle, yet it is still a tough decision as to whether or not she should give Turtle up to the authorities. Why is the decision so difficult for Taylor, given the knowledge on the relationship between Taylor and Turtle?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)