|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lou Ann want to do after realizing that Angel has left her?
2. What is Mrs. Parsons' view about aliens?
3. For whom was Roosevelt Park named?
4. Why does Granny Logan want to baptize Dwayne Ray in specific water?
5. What does Lou Ann wear to bed the night Angel leaves her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Taylor obtain newspapers?
2. Why does Taylor believe that the Cherokee nation would be a good place for Esteban and Esperanza to stay?
3. What does Taylor notice about Esperanza's face? When does she notice this?
4. Has Taylor's character evolved by Chapter 12? Explain.
5. In Chapter 7, Esteban tells a story. What is his story about, and at what point in the chapter does he decide to include it? Why do you believe he does this?
6. Why does Taylor look down on Esperanza for attempting suicide?
7. Describe Taylor's first meeting with Lou Ann.
8. What changes can be observed in Esteban and Esperanza as they travel deeper into the Cherokee nation during Chapter 15?
9. Why does Mattie toss the canister at Taylor in Chapter 6?
10. What is the only way that Esteban and Esperanza would be able to stay in the states? What is the problem with this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Relationships are a large part of the novel. Choose a relationship to analyze. Answer the following questions: What is the driving force behind this relationship? Do these characters get along? Why or why not? How has this relationship help the form the personality of each character involved?
Essay Topic 2
How does Taylor change throughout the novel? How do her ideas change, and which characters have spawned the most change in Taylor?
Essay Topic 3
Toward the end of the novel, Lou Ann moves on to another man. Do you believe that she and her new boyfriend will share a similar relationship to that of she and Angel? Why? Why not?
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)