|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Lou Ann's brother move to?
2. What type of shop is next door to Jesus is Lord Used Tires?
3. How far apart are Taylor and Lou Ann's home towns?
4. In Chapter 5, Lou Ann is concerned about Dwayne Ray's ______.
5. When is Lou Ann's child due?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lou Ann avoid Lee Sing's market? Explain.
2. What is Taylor's reaction when the old woman gives her Turtle?
3. Explain Lou Ann's fearful dream of Dwayne Ray. What does Lou Ann think about this?
4. What is the reaction of Granny Logan and Lou Ann's mother when Lou Ann asks them to stay longer?
5. In Chapter 9, Esteban reveals the truth about their daughter, Ismene, and how she was taken from him. Explain circumstances that led to Ismene being taken.
6. How does Taylor feel about taking the food and drink from Mattie?
7. Describe Taylor's course of action in leaving home after Newt Hardbine's tragedy.
8. Describe the relationship between Newt Hardbine and his father.
9. What happens with Esteban and Taylor at the end of Chapter 9? How does Taylor handle it?
10. Bildungsroman is a literary genre that is the coming of age story. In what way do you believe that The Bean Trees could be classified as a bildungsroman?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Taylor change throughout the novel? How do her ideas change, and which characters have spawned the most change in Taylor?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 1, Taylor finds herself in a Cherokee Nation. Though Taylor and her mother's bother have Cherokee blood in them, Taylor seems disappointed with the town. Why does Taylor feels this way? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain what it means to you that Mattie has never changed the name of the tire shop given that she may not completely agree the religious fanaticism of her late husband. Do you believe that the name gives her something to hold onto? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)