|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is also on the headstone of Lou Ann's father?
2. How far apart are Taylor and Lou Ann's home towns?
3. What did Angel lose in the car accident?
4. What is the name of Lou Ann's cat?
5. What type of trees are mentioned at the beginning of Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Taylor invite to dinner in cCapter 7? Why? What do they do?
2. Describe the contents of the package that Lou Ann receives from Angel. What does Lou Ann think of this package?
3. Describe the conversation between Mattie and Taylor in Chapter 13, regarding Esteban and Esperanza.
4. What type of store does Mattie own and how did it get its name?
5. What does Esteban suggest to Taylor after realizing that she is judgmental of Esperanza's actions?
6. What does Mattie give to Taylor and Turtle at the beginning of Chapter 3? Why?
7. How does Taylor come to realize that Edna Poppy is blind?
8. What type of ceremony does Lou Ann decide to hold for her baby's christening? Why?
9. Why does Mattie toss the canister at Taylor in Chapter 6?
10. Explain why Lou Ann falls for Angel.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the close of Chapter 4, Bobby Bingo, a vegetable salesman warns Lou Ann, telling her "Whatever you want the most, it's going to be the worst thing for you." What does Bobby mean by this comment? What is the thing Lou Ann wants the most? And why would that be bad for her?
Essay Topic 2
The theme of gardening is mentioned throughout the entire novel. The idea of growing seems to be important to the author. Why do you think that is? Why use a garden as a means of explaining the way in which things grow? How do you view growth in relation to the novel?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 8, Taylor learns from Estevan that Roosevelt Park actually was named for Eleanor, rather than Franklin or Theodore. What could Taylor's prior notions regarding the park mean? Why is the fact important to the story? Why did the author decided to incorporate it? Explain.
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)