|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 5, what wakes Taylor and Turtle each morning at 6:15?
2. What is the problem with Taylor's car?
3. What type of car backfires while Taylor is working on it?
4. Which literary theme is prevalent throughout Chapter 2?
5. Which is a characteristic of the potential roommates Taylor meets in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Taylor learn about the park's name in Chapter 8? From whom does she learn this?
2. What is the only way that Esteban and Esperanza would be able to stay in the states? What is the problem with this?
3. What does Lou Ann believe to be Turtle's given name? Why?
4. Explain why Lou Ann falls for Angel.
5. How does Taylor feel about taking the food and drink from Mattie?
6. What does Taylor do before Esteban and Esperanza say goodbye? Why does she do this?
7. Describe Taylor's course of action in leaving home after Newt Hardbine's tragedy.
8. What is the significance of the Tug Fork water?
9. Describe the conditions a Red Hot Mama's salsa factory. Does Lou Ann like this job?
10. Why does Taylor believe that the Cherokee nation would be a good place for Esteban and Esperanza to stay?
Essay Topic 1
Relationships are a large part of the novel. Choose a relationship to analyze. Answer the following questions: What is the driving force behind this relationship? Do these characters get along? Why or why not? How has this relationship help the form the personality of each character involved?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 13, Taylor receives news that she may lose Turtle due to the legal adoption system. Taylor has grown attached to Turtle, yet it is still a tough decision as to whether or not she should give Turtle up to the authorities. Why is the decision so difficult for Taylor, given the knowledge on the relationship between Taylor and Turtle?
Essay Topic 3
What do you believe is the overarching theme of the novel as a whole? Why? Describe this theme.
This section contains 1,683 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)