|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When is Lou Ann's child due?
2. What does Lou Ann want to do after realizing that Angel has left her?
3. What was Esteban's profession before coming to the United States?
4. What does Taylor confess to Mattie in Chapter 3?
5. What does Angel do with the baptism water?
Short Essay Questions
1. What changes can be observed in Esteban and Esperanza as they travel deeper into the Cherokee nation during Chapter 15?
2. Bildungsroman is a literary genre that is the coming of age story. In what way do you believe that The Bean Trees could be classified as a bildungsroman?
3. What is the significance of the Tug Fork water?
4. How does Taylor come to realize that Edna Poppy is blind?
5. Turtle says "Mama" when seeing something in connection with a burial. How does Taylor handle this?
6. What is the reaction of Granny Logan and Lou Ann's mother when Lou Ann asks them to stay longer?
7. On what day do Mattie, Esteban, Esperanza and Taylor take their short trip? Why is this day important? Where are they going?
8. Explain why Taylor and her passengers were stopped at the New Mexico border.
9. Describe the incident in the garden between Taylor, Lou Ann and Turtle in Chapter 10.
10. What are Lou Ann's "routines"? And why does she perform them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Growing up in Pittman, Kentucky, Taylor was often compared to Newt Harbine. After Newt's death, Taylor seemed determined to flee Pittman. Did she fear that she may end up like Newt? Do you believe that Taylor is similar to Newt? How? Why do you think this?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 11, the reader sees a change in Lou Ann's character. She tells Taylor of a dream that she has. An angel comes to her and tells her that Dwayne Ray will not live to see the year 2000. Lou Ann also reads her horoscope that says she will take advice from a stranger. Lou Ann believes that this stranger is the angel. What do you believe to be the significance of these events?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 1, Taylor finds herself in a Cherokee Nation. Though Taylor and her mother's bother have Cherokee blood in them, Taylor seems disappointed with the town. Why does Taylor feels this way? Explain.
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)