|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Taylor come to realize that the child given to her in Chapter 1 is alive?
(a) The baby grips Taylor tightly.
(b) She smells the need for a diaper change.
(c) She checks the child's pulse.
(d) The baby begins to cry.
2. Which literary theme is prevalent throughout Chapter 2?
(c) Teen pregancy.
3. What are Taylor's favorite colors?
(a) Orange and cerulean.
(b) Blue and green.
(c) Red and turquoise.
(d) Purple and chartruese.
4. From what point of view is Chapter Two narrated?
(a) Limited Omniscient.
(b) First Person.
(c) Third Person.
5. Mattie attempts to persuade Taylor to work for her but Taylor has a fear of tires. What does Mattie throw into the deal in order to persuade Taylor to work for her?
(a) Two new tires.
(b) Candy for Turtle.
(c) Free food.
(d) A new place to live.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lou Ann's regular ritual?
2. Taylor returns home from a hard day at work for Mattie. What is Lou Ann reading when Taylor arrives home?
3. What prompts Taylor to look for a roommate?
4. Taylor, Esteban, Esperanza and Mattie take a short trip. While others are swimming, what is Esperanza obsessed with?
5. In Chapter 4, Lou Ann gets spooked when she notices the baptism water. What past event does this remind her of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the relationship between Newt Hardbine and his father.
2. Why does Taylor look down on Esperanza for attempting suicide?
3. Bildungsroman is a literary genre that is the coming of age story. In what way do you believe that The Bean Trees could be classified as a bildungsroman?
4. Explain why Taylor and her passengers were stopped at the New Mexico border.
5. What happens with Esteban and Taylor at the end of Chapter 9? How does Taylor handle it?
6. What did Taylor have to let go of in Chapter 17? Why?
7. What is Lou Ann reading at the end of Chapter 6? Why?
8. Why does Lou Ann avoid Lee Sing's market? Explain.
9. What type of store does Mattie own and how did it get its name?
10. What is the only way that Esteban and Esperanza would be able to stay in the states? What is the problem with this?
This section contains 1,048 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)