|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What year was the dial-up phone system installed in Taylor's hometown?
2. What is the problem with Taylor's car?
(a) The oil needs to be changed.
(b) The car has run out of gas.
(c) The transmission has blown.
(d) The car has two flat tires.
3. What does Mattie serve Turtle at Jesus is Lord Used Tires?
(a) Orange Juice.
(b) Apple Juice.
(c) Pineapple Juice.
(d) Cranberry Juice.
4. What date is it when Chapter 3 begins?
(a) December 2.
(b) June 4.
(c) January 2.
(d) January 6.
5. Mattie attempts to persuade Taylor to work for her but Taylor has a fear of tires. What does Mattie throw into the deal in order to persuade Taylor to work for her?
(a) A new place to live.
(b) Free food.
(c) Two new tires.
(d) Candy for Turtle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Terry bring with him when he visits Mattie?
2. In addition to the doctor's comment about Turtle's health, he discovers something else after reading her X-rays. What does he find?
3. In Chapter 4, Lou Ann gets spooked when she notices the baptism water. What past event does this remind her of?
4. How does Taylor begin to look for a roommate?
5. What is Mama's profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 7, Esteban tells a story. What is his story about, and at what point in the chapter does he decide to include it? Why do you believe he does this?
2. What does Lou Ann believe to be Turtle's given name? Why?
3. What does Lou Ann constantly show her mother regarding Mexican Americans? Why does Lou Ann do this?
4. Describe the conditions a Red Hot Mama's salsa factory. Does Lou Ann like this job?
5. What changes can be observed in Esteban and Esperanza as they travel deeper into the Cherokee nation during Chapter 15?
6. What does Esteban suggest to Taylor after realizing that she is judgmental of Esperanza's actions?
7. Why does Mattie toss the canister at Taylor in Chapter 6?
8. Taylor begins looking for a roommate in Chapter 5. Describe the people Taylor meets after searching the want ads.
9. Describe the incident in the garden between Taylor, Lou Ann and Turtle in Chapter 10.
10. Why does Lou Ann avoid Lee Sing's market? Explain.
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)