|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Mattie during the time of Esperanza's attempted suicide?
(a) The desert.
(b) With Esperanza, at the clinic.
(c) The hospital.
(d) A trip.
2. Where does Lou Ann get a job?
(a) Lee Sing's.
(b) Red Hot Mama's salsa factory.
(c) Burger Derby.
(d) Jesus is Lord Used Tires.
3. Why did Esperanza and Esteban need to look different in Chapter 16?
(a) Because they need to look like stage performers.
(b) Because they needed people to believe that they were very poor.
(c) They needed to pretend to be makeup artists.
(d) They needed to convince others that they are brother and sister.
4. Who is Cynthia?
(a) Taylor's best friend.
(b) The social worker.
(c) A lawyer.
(d) Mattie's new employee.
5. What do Esteban and Esperanza lose before leaving their country?
(a) Their daughter.
(b) Esperanza's wedding rings.
(c) Their immigration papers.
(d) Their money.
6. To where are Angel's family members moving?
(d) Rhode Island.
7. What does Esteban believe to be the symbol of the United States?
(a) A flag.
(b) An eagle.
(c) A lion.
(d) An alligator.
8. What does Taylor do when she wakes up next to Esteban?
(a) Kisses his hand.
(b) Curls next to him and falls back to sleep.
(d) Wakes up disgusted.
9. What will happen to the national bird of Esteban's country if caged?
(a) It will no longer grow.
(b) It will reproduce.
(c) It will die.
(d) It will live a long life.
10. What does Lou Ann bring to Taylor's bedroom in Chapter 12?
(a) Soup and crackers.
(b) Chicken and potatoes.
(d) A cheesburger.
11. Who was Esteban protecting before he fled his country?
(a) Young children.
(b) Group leaders of a teacher's union.
(c) Convicted family members.
12. What does the characters stop to smell in Chapter 12?
(a) The rain.
(b) Each other.
(c) The flowers.
(d) The sand.
13. Virgie Mae Parsons points to a flower in Chapter 13. What happens to the flower if it is touched?
(a) It blossoms.
(b) It grows larger.
(c) Other flowers will bloom.
(d) It shrivels.
14. What does Taylor realize about Edna in Chapter 10?
(a) She is deaf.
(b) She is blind.
(c) She is married.
(d) She cannot walk.
15. Who watched Turtle while Taylor was away with Mattie?
(b) Mrs. Parsons.
(c) Lee Sing.
(d) Lou Ann.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lou Ann believe the old woman gives her when they see each other at the market?
2. What is the significance of the day that Mattie, Taylor, Esperanza and Esteban travel in Chapter 12?
3. Who are Taylor, Esteban, and Esperanza stopped by on their drive?
4. What point in the year is it in Chapter 10?
5. What does Turtle say as she points to the plants in the garden?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)