|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lou Ann believe the old woman gives her when they see each other at the market?
(a) The evil eye.
(b) A free tarot reading.
(c) An apple.
(d) A curse.
2. What does Virgie Mae Parsons claim the images of the flower represent ?
(a) Something bad.
(b) A prediction.
(c) Something good.
(d) The birth of a child.
3. In Chapter 11, from where does Lou Ann receive a package?
4. What does Esteban say about Turtle in Chapter 14?
(a) That she is his child.
(b) That she is sleeping.
(c) That she is very ill.
(d) That she enjoys riding in cars.
5. What does the Guatemalan police use telephones and electricity for?
(b) Phone calls.
(c) Heat generator.
(d) High speed internet.
6. What plant does Turtle point to in the garden in Chapter 10?
(a) Honey suckle.
7. What does Mattie hand to Taylor before she begins her trip with Esteban and Esperanza in Chapter 13?
(a) An old necklace.
(b) A envelope of money.
(c) A good luck charm.
(d) A book for Turtle.
8. What does the characters stop to smell in Chapter 12?
(a) The sand.
(b) The rain.
(c) Each other.
(d) The flowers.
9. Who is Cynthia?
(a) The social worker.
(b) Mattie's new employee.
(c) Taylor's best friend.
(d) A lawyer.
10. Who do Lou Ann and her brother look to in order to view the future?
(a) A soothsayer.
(b) A crystal ball.
(c) A fortune doll.
(d) A fortune teller.
11. To where to Mattie, Taylor, Esteban and Esperanza go at the beginning of Chapter 12?
(a) The desert.
(c) The west coast.
(d) The beach.
12. Who was Esteban protecting before he fled his country?
(b) Young children.
(c) Group leaders of a teacher's union.
(d) Convicted family members.
13. What news does Taylor receive at the beginning of chapter 10?
(a) That Esperanza is very sick.
(b) That Turtle is ill.
(c) Mattie will not be coming back.
(d) That Esperanza is fine.
14. Who are Taylor, Esteban, and Esperanza stopped by on their drive?
(a) Traffic corrections.
(b) The police.
(c) The Mayor.
15. In Chapter 11, Lou Ann receives a package. Who is it from?
(a) Lee Sing.
(c) Edna Poppy.
(d) Mrs. Parsons.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Esteban and Esperanza have to wear during the adoption meeting?
2. What does Esteban believe has happened to Ismene?
3. How much time does Lou Ann take off work to stay home with Taylor?
4. What does "Esperanza" mean?
5. Where is the setting at the beginning of Chapter 16?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)