|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Lou Ann see herself in the future?
2. What does "Esperanza" mean?
3. To where to Mattie, Taylor, Esteban and Esperanza go at the beginning of Chapter 12?
(a) The west coast.
(c) The beach.
(d) The desert.
4. Mattie informs Taylor that Esteban and Esperanza will move away. Where will they go?
(a) The beach.
(b) Back to their home.
(c) A Mongolian tent home.
(d) A safe house.
5. Where is the setting at the beginning of Chapter 16?
(a) A hospital.
(c) A law office.
(d) The lake.
6. What does Mattie hand to Taylor before she begins her trip with Esteban and Esperanza in Chapter 13?
(a) A good luck charm.
(b) A book for Turtle.
(c) A envelope of money.
(d) An old necklace.
7. What does Turtle say as she points to the plants in the garden?
8. What do Taylor and Esteban throw when they make a wish late in the novel?
(a) A good luck charm.
(b) A penny.
(c) Flower petals.
(d) A bead.
9. Why did Esperanza and Esteban need to look different in Chapter 16?
(a) Because they need to look like stage performers.
(b) They needed to convince others that they are brother and sister.
(c) Because they needed people to believe that they were very poor.
(d) They needed to pretend to be makeup artists.
10. What does Turtle yell when passing a cemetery?
(c) Bean trees.
11. What plant does Turtle point to in the garden in Chapter 10?
(c) Honey suckle.
12. In Chapter 11, from where does Lou Ann receive a package?
13. Who was Esteban protecting before he fled his country?
(a) Group leaders of a teacher's union.
(b) Convicted family members.
(c) Young children.
14. How does Lou Ann's brother see himself in the future?
(a) He does not see himself at all.
(b) As a successful business man.
(c) As a man who is lucky in love.
(d) As an old man with a long, white beard.
15. What does the Guatemalan police use telephones and electricity for?
(a) Heat generator.
(c) High speed internet.
(d) Phone calls.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Esperanza give to Turtle in Chapter 16?
2. What does Esteban say about Turtle in Chapter 14?
3. Virgie Mae Parsons points to a flower in Chapter 13. What happens to the flower if it is touched?
4. What does Taylor do when she wakes up next to Esteban?
5. How does Lou Ann interpret travel?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)