|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Goettge's rank?
2. What does Ellen Feller finish at Water Lily Cottage?
3. What does Ellen try to do, but fails at the end of Chapter 17?
4. Why was Dailey's status as a pilot rescinded?
5. What doesn't HQ know about Moore?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ellen realize about the orders Moore and Dailey receive?
2. What message do Naval officers give when they come to the beach?
3. What strict orders did Pickering receive that he neglects?
4. What do the Marines know about the Japanese and why is their anger?
5. What does Major Dillon contemplate in July 1942?
6. What is clear about Pickering's message to Knox?
7. What decision does Pickering make that might shock the reader?
8. What do Hon and Moore try to figure out about messages received earlier in the day?
9. What does Hon realize about Moore?
10. Why is David Schneider not liked in Chapter 13?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one character depicted in "Battleground" and discuss his/her personal characteristics and actions.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the role of the Coastwatcher Establishment in World War II and discuss the benefits and drawbacks to using such an organization.
Essay Topic 3
Choose a character who has too much pride in his rank and discuss the implications or conflicts that arise as a result.
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)