|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dawkins do for Captain Galloway?
2. What are the Japanese buildings on the island discussed in Chapter 9?
3. What carrier does Captain Galloway land on after the attack of Pearl Harbor?
4. What is the rank of the man with Dunn when he wakes up at the hospital?
5. Where are Sgt Rutterman and Captain Sessions working?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens while Barbara Ward is thinking of her situation?
2. What advice is Moore given when he reaches the U.S. Navy Yard in Philadelphia in Chapter 5?
3. What is Lieutenant McCoy's nickname according to Chapter 7?
4. What does Pickering give to MacArthur during a top secret gathering?
5. What does Moore daydream of in June 1942?
6. What does Dunn realize people think about him?
7. How does Moore feel about his father in Chapter 4?
8. What does General Harris not approve of?
9. What are Sgt. Rutterman and Captain Sessions discussing at the start of Chapter 3?
10. In Chapter 1, where is William Charles "Bill" Dunn stationed and why is he frightened?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose two fictional characters in "Battleground" and discuss the importance of each.
Essay Topic 2
Examine how Griffin uses historical events to make his story seem more realistic and the effect it has on the reader.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why the Marines on Guadalcanal were left on the beach and the implications of this decision for both the Navy and the Marines. Examine why Griffin chose to illustrate an actual historical event and his motivations.
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)