|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who gets drunk during the meeting in Chapter 10?
(a) John Moore.
(b) Colonel Goettge.
(c) Pluto Hon.
(d) Commander Feldt.
2. What could Hon and Pickering face if someone found about Moore?
(a) Court martial and death.
(b) Reasignment to the front.
(c) Dishonnorable discharge.
(d) Court martial and prison.
3. What does Moore do during his first assignment?
(a) Translate unknown code.
(b) He decipher the hidden meaning behind the message.
(c) Bring documents to MacArthur.
(d) Create clear guidelines for document translation.
4. What doesn't HQ know about Moore?
(a) That he is a pacifist.
(b) That he has access to MAGIC documents.
(c) That he works for Pickering.
(d) That he speaks Japanese.
5. What does Ellen think of her decision to sleep with Pickering?
(a) As a wise move.
(b) As necessary.
(c) As a poor move.
(d) As a step toward marriage.
6. How many destroyers unload supplies in Guadalcanal?
7. Who asks after the whereabouts of Pickering?
(a) His wife.
(b) His brother.
(c) His sister.
(d) His mother.
8. Where is Dailey first assigned before going back to the US?
(a) The South Atlantic Front.
(b) North Africa.
(c) The Pacific Front.
(d) The German front.
9. What does Ellen think of Dailey?
(a) That he is full of his own importance.
(b) That he is a dreamer.
(c) That he is too good to be sent to the front line.
(d) That he is a nice man.
10. When does Chapter 10 open?
(a) July 5, 1942.
(b) July 11, 1942.
(c) July 1, 1942.
(d) July 8, 1942.
11. What message do the Naval officers bring on Guadalcanal?
(a) That Pickering must be arrested.
(b) That Pickering must be promoted.
(c) That Pickering must keep a low profile if he decides to stay.
(d) That Pickering must return with them.
12. Why do the Marines at Guadalcanal feel abandoned?
(a) The US Air Force stop its bombing run.
(b) Their dead officers are not replaced.
(c) The US Navy pulls off the island.
(d) They don't have maps of the area.
13. How many men survived Goettge's patrol?
14. What does Ellen Feller fear her husband hid?
(a) The gold he smuggled from China.
(b) The jade he smuggled from China.
(c) The drugs he smuggled from China.
(d) The weapons he smuggled from China.
15. What does MacArthur's office claim not to know?
(a) That Pickering is in the Navy.
(b) That Pickering is alive.
(c) That Pickering was supposed to be in the U.S.
(d) That Pickering is dead.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Moore supposed to transport the message to Major Banning?
2. How many women attend the reunion in Chapter 10?
3. Why is Dailey sent to the South Pacific?
4. Who is in charge of keeping David Schneider from entering a sexual and emotional relationship?
5. What is George Dailey's rank?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)