• Chapter 1 begins on June 4, 1942 on Midway Island.
• The Allied forces are at war against the Japanese with the battleground in the Pacific.
• William Charles "Bill" Dunn is about to make his first flight.
• Dunn is frightened because Japanese forces and aircraft are superior.
• Dunn will fly on a Wildcat against the Japanese Zeroes.
• Midway Island is in the South Pacific and was a refueling area. Americans took it over as a aircraft and submarine base.
• Midway is considered second in importance to Pearl Harbor which was attacked in December 1941.
• Navy and Marine Corps built a military presence on Midway.
• Major Park, Dunn's commanding officer is also supposed to fly a Wildcat.
• Bill looks at photos of his parents and Sue-Ann a woman he is pretending is his sweetheart.
• Major Parks is preparing for the battle and compares the young men with British fighter pilots who...
This section contains 3,239 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)