• Chapter 1 begins on June 4, 1942 on Midway Island.
• The Allied forces are at war against the Japanese with the battleground in the Pacific.
• William Charles "Bill" Dunn is about to make his first flight.
• Dunn is frightened because Japanese forces and aircraft are superior.
• Dunn will fly on a Wildcat against the Japanese Zeroes.
• Midway Island is in the South Pacific and was a refueling area. Americans took it over as a aircraft and submarine base.
• Midway is considered second in importance to Pearl Harbor which was attacked in December 1941.
• Navy and Marine Corps built a military presence on Midway.
• Major Park, Dunn's commanding officer is also supposed to fly a Wildcat.
• Bill looks at photos of his parents and Sue-Ann a woman he is pretending is his sweetheart.
• Major Parks is preparing for the battle and compares the young men with British fighter pilots who were...
This section contains 3,224 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)