|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mama go to the courthouse on Bone's birthday each year?
2. What clothing does Bone beg from her aunts?
3. Does Bone ever see her real father?
4. In Chapter 8, Mama expresses concern over Bone being accident prone. What causes Bone's injuries?
5. What happens when Bone is hungry?
Short Essay Questions
1. In trying to help Bone understand why her mother hasn't visited her, Aunt Raylene reveals something about herself that Bone didn't know. What is it?
2. Why does Bone try to scare Reese against hitchhiking while at the same time doing it herself?
3. Mama, Glen, and Reese stand with their arms around each other in Chapter 5, but Bone stands outside the circle. Why do you think that is?
4. Why is it important to Bone not to scream when Glen is beating her in Chapter 17?
5. Glen chooses different types of houses than the Boatwright aunts. Which type of house does Bone seem to prefer and why?
6. Why does Mama leave Glen only after her siblings find out that he has beaten Bone?
7. Describe Aunt Alma's breakdown.
8. Mama's family doesn't like Glen and don't want him to marry Mama. What are their reasons, and do you agree?
9. Bone says she doesn't want to go to Shannon's family barbecue, but she ends up going. Why do you think she goes?
10. Do you think that Mama cares if people think she burned down the courthouse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing can be an effective tool in hinting to the reader. This literary tool is used in "Bastard Out of Carolina." Find 3 examples of foreshadowing and describe how they indicate events to come.
Essay Topic 2
Both Bone and her mother have an obsession about being thought of or treated as "trash." What does being trash mean to each of them? Find three instances each of Mama and Bone's concern over their social status.
Essay Topic 3
Read the quote by James Baldwin at the beginning of the book. Discuss in detail how this applies to "Bastard Out of Carolina."
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)