|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of shoes does Bone long for when she turns nine years old?
2. According to Mama in Chapter 7, how did she and Aunt Raylene earn money when they were girls?
3. After getting off work, what does Mama smell like in Chapter 3?
4. What does Bone feel when she passes the Woolworth's windows?
5. What states do the gospel circuit run from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the changes in Reese in Chapter 12.
2. Why does Mama leave Glen only after her siblings find out that he has beaten Bone?
3. The beginning of Chapter 20 shows the healing of two people. Who are they?
4. What do you think of Glen's statement, "You're mine, all of you, mine" after Mama agrees to marry him?
5. The first time Mama leaves Glen is for two weeks. What makes her decide to return?
6. Describe the regrets that Bone has after Ruth dies.
7. Describe Shannon Pearl.
8. In Chapter 2, Mama tells Bone not to pay any attention to what Granny says because some women love their sons more than their daughters. What do you think the effect of this type of thinking is on female children?
9. In Chapter 8, Bone begins suffering many injuries at Glen's hands. Does it seem realistic that her mother wouldn't realize what is going on?
10. Chapter 8 opens with the love knot disintegrating and being swept away. What does this foretell?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Read the quote by James Baldwin at the beginning of the book. Discuss in detail how this applies to "Bastard Out of Carolina."
Essay Topic 2
Foreshadowing can be an effective tool in hinting to the reader. This literary tool is used in "Bastard Out of Carolina." Find 3 examples of foreshadowing and describe how they indicate events to come.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Bone and Reese. Why does Glen choose to abuse Bone, but not Reese? With Bone out of the picture at the end of the book, do you think Glen will change? Will he start abusing Reese?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)