|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mama in Chapter 7, how did she and Aunt Raylene earn money when they were girls?
2. Who gets caught stealing a quart of RC Cola from the grocery store?
3. What does Shannon Pearl talk about with Bone?
4. Who tells Bone that she isn't a racehorse?
5. What do the Waddell's call Bone and Reese?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mama trying to accomplish when she punishes Bone for stealing? In your opinion, does it work?
2. Why does it take Mama two years of dating Glen before she married him?
3. Aunt Ruth asks Bone if they can talk to each other, meaning she wonders if can they tell each other the truth. Do they?
4. Bone sees two different sides of Glen. Describe them.
5. Why does Bone try to scare Reese against hitchhiking while at the same time doing it herself?
6. Why does Mama find Bone's birth certificate upsetting?
7. In trying to help Bone understand why her mother hasn't visited her, Aunt Raylene reveals something about herself that Bone didn't know. What is it?
8. In Chapter 8, Bone begins suffering many injuries at Glen's hands. Does it seem realistic that her mother wouldn't realize what is going on?
9. In Chapter 6, Mama tells the girls about she and her siblings making up foods they would never have or wouldn't want. Why does she do this?
10. When Mrs. Parson's comes to visit and bring Lyle's insurance money, Mama struggles between being polite and hoping Mrs. Parson leave before Glen returns home. What do you think Glen would do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role of religion in Bone's life. Compare it to the role religion plays in Shannon's life.
Essay Topic 2
Symbolism is an important component in "Bastard Out of Carolina." Choose either the love knot or the hook, and describe its symbolism in the story.
Essay Topic 3
Read the quote by James Baldwin at the beginning of the book. Discuss in detail how this applies to "Bastard Out of Carolina."
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)