|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Granny call an "ugly, ugly little thing"?
2. How long does Mama date Glen?
3. How do Bone and her sister get to Aunt Alma's in Chapter 6?
4. Who tells Mama that Bone is being beaten?
5. According to Mama in Chapter 7, how did she and Aunt Raylene earn money when they were girls?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Bone drawn to Shannon Pearl?
2. How is Aunt Raylene different from her sisters?
3. Chapter 8 opens with the love knot disintegrating and being swept away. What does this foretell?
4. In trying to help Bone understand why her mother hasn't visited her, Aunt Raylene reveals something about herself that Bone didn't know. What is it?
5. Describe the differences between Mama and her girls and the children of Glen's brothers.
6. Why does Bone begin looking at herself in mirrors?
7. What are the two things that people talk about when they talk about Glen? How are the two things alike?
8. In Chapter 2, Mama tells Bone not to pay any attention to what Granny says because some women love their sons more than their daughters. What do you think the effect of this type of thinking is on female children?
9. Aunt Ruth tells Mama that she looks like a Boatwright after Lyle dies. What does she mean by that?
10. How does Bone's obsession with religion begin?
Essay Topic 1
Symbolism is an important component in "Bastard Out of Carolina." Choose either the love knot or the hook, and describe its symbolism in the story.
Essay Topic 2
Dorothy Allison makes several references to looking like a Boatwright. Bone watches for this and looks for the Boatwright birthright in both her appearance and her behavior as she tries to figure out who she is. Find both positive and negative examples of what being a Boatwright means. By the end of the book, is Bone glad she's a Boatwright?
Essay Topic 3
Hunger is another strong feeling evident in "Bastard Out of Carolina." Compare and contrast Bone's physical hunger when the family has no food with the angry, rage-filled hunger she feels at the Woolworth's and at the Waddell's.
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)