|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Bone's family moves into a new home, Glen sends them outside with scissors to do what?
2. How many people are in the downstairs apartment, according to Grey?
3. Who throws Reese up in the air so high that it looks like she is going to fly?
4. What color are Shannon Pearl's eyes?
5. Why does Mama go to the courthouse on Bone's birthday each year?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Aunt Alma's breakdown.
2. Why does the world that comes over the radio seem far away to Bone in Chapter 2?
3. The first time Mama leaves Glen is for two weeks. What makes her decide to return?
4. Why does Bone try to scare Reese against hitchhiking while at the same time doing it herself?
5. Aunt Ruth tells Mama that she looks like a Boatwright after Lyle dies. What does she mean by that?
6. In Chapter 8, Bone begins suffering many injuries at Glen's hands. Does it seem realistic that her mother wouldn't realize what is going on?
7. Mama, Glen, and Reese stand with their arms around each other in Chapter 5, but Bone stands outside the circle. Why do you think that is?
8. Why is Bone climbing over the fence into the Pearl's backyard?
9. The beginning of Chapter 20 shows the healing of two people. Who are they?
10. Describe Mama's and Aunt Ruth's relationship.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role of religion in Bone's life. Compare it to the role religion plays in Shannon's life.
Essay Topic 2
Bone says that "things come apart so easily when they have been held together with lies." What are the results when the relatives learn of Bone's physical abuse? Ultimately, is it a good or bad thing? If it had not happened, would Bone have been raped or not? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Dorothy Allison makes several references to looking like a Boatwright. Bone watches for this and looks for the Boatwright birthright in both her appearance and her behavior as she tries to figure out who she is. Find both positive and negative examples of what being a Boatwright means. By the end of the book, is Bone glad she's a Boatwright?
This section contains 1,472 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)