|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has a reputation for "an easy smile and a sharp tongue"?
2. In Chapter 5, what about Glen makes Bone nervous?
3. Bone worships her uncles. Who are they?
4. In Chapter 8, Mama expresses concern over Bone being accident prone. What causes Bone's injuries?
5. Why does Mama go to the courthouse on Bone's birthday each year?
Short Essay Questions
1. Mama, Glen, and Reese stand with their arms around each other in Chapter 5, but Bone stands outside the circle. Why do you think that is?
2. Why is Bone climbing over the fence into the Pearl's backyard?
3. As a young child, why does Bone idolize her uncles and want to be like them?
4. Bone sees two different sides of Glen. Describe them.
5. Bone says she doesn't want to go to Shannon's family barbecue, but she ends up going. Why do you think she goes?
6. In Chapter 8, Bone begins suffering many injuries at Glen's hands. Does it seem realistic that her mother wouldn't realize what is going on?
7. Explain the significance of Aunt Alma's scrapbook for Bone.
8. How is Aunt Raylene different from her sisters?
9. The first time Mama leaves Glen is for two weeks. What makes her decide to return?
10. Why does Bone want to be a singer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role of religion in Bone's life. Compare it to the role religion plays in Shannon's life.
Essay Topic 2
Foreshadowing can be an effective tool in hinting to the reader. This literary tool is used in "Bastard Out of Carolina." Find 3 examples of foreshadowing and describe how they indicate events to come.
Essay Topic 3
Bone says that "things come apart so easily when they have been held together with lies." What are the results when the relatives learn of Bone's physical abuse? Ultimately, is it a good or bad thing? If it had not happened, would Bone have been raped or not? Explain your answer.
This section contains 1,509 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)