|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bone worships her uncles. Who are they?
2. In Chapter 7, who does Mama describe as "just bad all the way through"?
3. How many people are in the downstairs apartment, according to Grey?
4. How long did Mama and the kids live away from Glen?
5. Who does Granny call an "ugly, ugly little thing"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Mama's family doesn't like Glen and don't want him to marry Mama. What are their reasons, and do you agree?
2. Explain the significance of Aunt Alma's scrapbook for Bone.
3. Aunt Ruth tells Mama that she looks like a Boatwright after Lyle dies. What does she mean by that?
4. Describe Bone at age 10.
5. Why is it important to Bone not to scream when Glen is beating her in Chapter 17?
6. Bone says she doesn't want to go to Shannon's family barbecue, but she ends up going. Why do you think she goes?
7. Describe Aunt Alma's breakdown.
8. What is the implied meaning of the word "established" when uttered by the court clerk?
9. Describe the differences between Mama and her girls and the children of Glen's brothers.
10. Describe Shannon Pearl.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bone asks her mother if she looks like her father who she doesn't have contact with. Mama refuses to answer. According to Bone, what she really wants from her mother is her story, "the place where she had made herself different from all her brothers and sisters and shut her mouth on her life." Explain what Bone means by this statement.
Essay Topic 2
As in "Bastard Out of Carolina," keeping secrets contributes in the continuation of abuse. Explain why people--both adults and children--keep abuse a secret. In your opinion, what is the best time for Bone to expose the secret and why?
Essay Topic 3
Symbolism is an important component in "Bastard Out of Carolina." Choose either the love knot or the hook, and describe its symbolism in the story.
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)