|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Bone, Glen smells of after-shave, cigarettes, Coca-Cola, and one more thing. What is that one thing?
2. Where does Aunt Carr live?
3. What causes Glen to sob in Chapter 4?
4. What does Mama pack for the picnic?
5. What is the setting in this book?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bone want to be a singer?
2. How does Aunt Raylene take care of Bone in the hospital?
3. Why is Bone climbing over the fence into the Pearl's backyard?
4. In Chapter 2, Mama tells Bone not to pay any attention to what Granny says because some women love their sons more than their daughters. What do you think the effect of this type of thinking is on female children?
5. Glen is very happy about Mama's pregnancy. What does it mean for him?
6. What is Mama trying to accomplish when she punishes Bone for stealing? In your opinion, does it work?
7. When Mrs. Parson's comes to visit and bring Lyle's insurance money, Mama struggles between being polite and hoping Mrs. Parson leave before Glen returns home. What do you think Glen would do?
8. Glen's photograph tells a viewer little about him. Bone says his eyes are empty. What might this mean?
9. Bone says she doesn't want to go to Shannon's family barbecue, but she ends up going. Why do you think she goes?
10. What does the love knot that the great-aunts make for Mama and Glen symbolize?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Bone and Reese. Why does Glen choose to abuse Bone, but not Reese? With Bone out of the picture at the end of the book, do you think Glen will change? Will he start abusing Reese?
Essay Topic 2
Dorothy Allison makes several references to looking like a Boatwright. Bone watches for this and looks for the Boatwright birthright in both her appearance and her behavior as she tries to figure out who she is. Find both positive and negative examples of what being a Boatwright means. By the end of the book, is Bone glad she's a Boatwright?
Essay Topic 3
Foreshadowing can be an effective tool in hinting to the reader. This literary tool is used in "Bastard Out of Carolina." Find 3 examples of foreshadowing and describe how they indicate events to come.
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)