|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Waddell's call Bone and Reese?
2. What is the one thing that saves Glen from the Boatwrights' absolute contempt?
3. What is "the backbone of the Pearl family income"?
4. What does Aunt Alma do that earned her Glen's contempt in Chapter 6?
5. Who tells Mama, "Now you look like a Boatwright"?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Glen beats Bone with a belt for the first time, Mama asks Bone what she did. Why doesn't Bone tell her?
2. Bone says she doesn't want to go to Shannon's family barbecue, but she ends up going. Why do you think she goes?
3. Glen is very happy about Mama's pregnancy. What does it mean for him?
4. Mama, Glen, and Reese stand with their arms around each other in Chapter 5, but Bone stands outside the circle. Why do you think that is?
5. Why does Bone want to be a singer?
6. How is Aunt Raylene different from her sisters?
7. Why does Ruth like being pregnant?
8. Why is Bone drawn to Shannon Pearl?
9. Why is Earle Bone's favorite uncle?
10. What does Bone know about her biological father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both Bone and her mother have an obsession about being thought of or treated as "trash." What does being trash mean to each of them? Find three instances each of Mama and Bone's concern over their social status.
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of Bone being illegitimate? Would it make any difference for any of the main characters if the state had not stamped that information on Bone's birth certificate? Explain the significance of Mama leaving Bone with the unstamped birth certificate as her parting gift.
Essay Topic 3
Both Bone and Shannon Pearl go through periods where they tell horrific tales fulls of violence. Compare and contrast the stories that each girl tells and their reasons for creating these stories.
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)