|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Glen grinning and boasting about in Chapter 4?
2. What is the setting in this book?
3. Where is Glen when Mama cooks eggs for Bone and Reese?
4. Who hopes that Anney can give Glen a son?
5. Who does Granny call an "ugly, ugly little thing"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mama find Bone's birth certificate upsetting?
2. Why does Bone try to scare Reese against hitchhiking while at the same time doing it herself?
3. Why does Mama leave Glen only after her siblings find out that he has beaten Bone?
4. What does the love knot that the great-aunts make for Mama and Glen symbolize?
5. Bone says she doesn't want to go to Shannon's family barbecue, but she ends up going. Why do you think she goes?
6. Bone sees two different sides of Glen. Describe them.
7. How is the hook changed? What is Bone's reaction?
8. Mama is so angry about her children going hungry that after yelling at Glen, she gets dressed and made up. Where does she go and why?
9. In Chapter 8, Bone begins suffering many injuries at Glen's hands. Does it seem realistic that her mother wouldn't realize what is going on?
10. Describe the regrets that Bone has after Ruth dies.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bone says that "things come apart so easily when they have been held together with lies." What are the results when the relatives learn of Bone's physical abuse? Ultimately, is it a good or bad thing? If it had not happened, would Bone have been raped or not? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Read the quote by James Baldwin at the beginning of the book. Discuss in detail how this applies to "Bastard Out of Carolina."
Essay Topic 3
Bone suffers from abuse for years. At first, she doesn't realize she is being sexually abused because there is no penetration. However, her discomfort at Glen holding her close lets the reader understand what's happening. Explain the connection between the abuse and masturbation and violent fantasies.
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)