Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Granny call an "ugly, ugly little thing"?
2. How long does Mama date Glen?
3. How do Bone and her sister get to Aunt Alma's in Chapter 6?
4. Who tells Mama that Bone is being beaten?
5. According to Mama in Chapter 7, how did she and Aunt Raylene earn money when they were girls?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Bone drawn to Shannon Pearl?
2. How is Aunt Raylene different from her sisters?
3. Chapter 8 opens with the love knot disintegrating and being swept away. What does this foretell?
4. In trying to help Bone understand why her mother hasn't visited her, Aunt Raylene reveals something about herself that Bone didn't know. What is it?
5. Describe the differences between Mama and her girls and the children of Glen's brothers.
6. Why does Bone begin looking at herself in mirrors?
7. What are the two things that people talk about when they talk about Glen? How are the two things alike?
8. In Chapter 2, Mama tells Bone not to pay any attention to what Granny says because some women love their sons more than their daughters. What do you think the effect of this type of thinking is on female children?
9. Aunt Ruth tells Mama that she looks like a Boatwright after Lyle dies. What does she mean by that?
10. How does Bone's obsession with religion begin?
Essay Topic 1
Hunger is another strong feeling evident in "Bastard Out of Carolina." Compare and contrast Bone's physical hunger when the family has no food with the angry, rage-filled hunger she feels at the Woolworth's and at the Waddell's.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Bone and Reese. Why does Glen choose to abuse Bone, but not Reese? With Bone out of the picture at the end of the book, do you think Glen will change? Will he start abusing Reese?
Essay Topic 3
Bone says that "things come apart so easily when they have been held together with lies." What are the results when the relatives learn of Bone's physical abuse? Ultimately, is it a good or bad thing? If it had not happened, would Bone have been raped or not? Explain your answer.
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)