|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bone is a nickname for Ruth Anne. She is named after whom?
2. In Chapter 8, Mama expresses concern over Bone being accident prone. What causes Bone's injuries?
3. What preceded Glen talking badly about Boatwrights in Chapter 8?
4. According to Mama in Chapter 7, how did she and Aunt Raylene earn money when they were girls?
5. What is the setting in this book?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Aunt Raylene different from her sisters?
2. In Chapter 2, Mama tells Bone not to pay any attention to what Granny says because some women love their sons more than their daughters. What do you think the effect of this type of thinking is on female children?
3. As a young child, why does Bone idolize her uncles and want to be like them?
4. Glen chooses different types of houses than the Boatwright aunts. Which type of house does Bone seem to prefer and why?
5. Bone sees two different sides of Glen. Describe them.
6. When Mrs. Parson's comes to visit and bring Lyle's insurance money, Mama struggles between being polite and hoping Mrs. Parson leave before Glen returns home. What do you think Glen would do?
7. The beginning of Chapter 20 shows the healing of two people. Who are they?
8. Why does Bone want to be a singer?
9. What do you think of Glen's statement, "You're mine, all of you, mine" after Mama agrees to marry him?
10. Explain the significance of Aunt Alma's scrapbook for Bone.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Bone and Reese. Why does Glen choose to abuse Bone, but not Reese? With Bone out of the picture at the end of the book, do you think Glen will change? Will he start abusing Reese?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of Bone being illegitimate? Would it make any difference for any of the main characters if the state had not stamped that information on Bone's birth certificate? Explain the significance of Mama leaving Bone with the unstamped birth certificate as her parting gift.
Essay Topic 3
Bone suffers from abuse for years. At first, she doesn't realize she is being sexually abused because there is no penetration. However, her discomfort at Glen holding her close lets the reader understand what's happening. Explain the connection between the abuse and masturbation and violent fantasies.
This section contains 1,497 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)