|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who compares Glen to a "junkyard dog waiting to steal a bone"?
2. Whose photographic image is described "as flat and empty as a sheet of tin in the sun"?
3. What preceded Glen talking badly about Boatwrights in Chapter 8?
4. Where does Mama go with Bone and Reese when they leave the hospital?
5. Bone worships her uncles. Who are they?
Short Essay Questions
1. Mama is so angry about her children going hungry that after yelling at Glen, she gets dressed and made up. Where does she go and why?
2. After Glen beats Bone with a belt for the first time, Mama asks Bone what she did. Why doesn't Bone tell her?
3. Who is Bone's favorite cousin and why?
4. In Chapter 8, Bone begins suffering many injuries at Glen's hands. Does it seem realistic that her mother wouldn't realize what is going on?
5. Why does Mama find Bone's birth certificate upsetting?
6. Why does Bone create games like the "Dalton Girls" and the "Mean Sisters"?
7. What does the love knot that the great-aunts make for Mama and Glen symbolize?
8. Describe Shannon Pearl.
9. As a young child, why does Bone idolize her uncles and want to be like them?
10. Explain the significance of Aunt Alma's scrapbook for Bone.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both Bone and her mother have an obsession about being thought of or treated as "trash." What does being trash mean to each of them? Find three instances each of Mama and Bone's concern over their social status.
Essay Topic 2
Symbolism is an important component in "Bastard Out of Carolina." Choose either the love knot or the hook, and describe its symbolism in the story.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of Bone being illegitimate? Would it make any difference for any of the main characters if the state had not stamped that information on Bone's birth certificate? Explain the significance of Mama leaving Bone with the unstamped birth certificate as her parting gift.
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)