|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Mama, "Now you look like a Boatwright"?
2. What is "the backbone of the Pearl family income"?
3. What do the Waddell's call Bone and Reese?
4. Who does Granny call an "ugly, ugly little thing"?
5. Bone is a nickname for Ruth Anne. She is named after whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Glen is very happy about Mama's pregnancy. What does it mean for him?
2. In Chapter 8, Bone begins suffering many injuries at Glen's hands. Does it seem realistic that her mother wouldn't realize what is going on?
3. Why does Mama leave Glen only after her siblings find out that he has beaten Bone?
4. Aunt Ruth asks Bone if they can talk to each other, meaning she wonders if can they tell each other the truth. Do they?
5. Why does Bone try to scare Reese against hitchhiking while at the same time doing it herself?
6. Mama is so angry about her children going hungry that after yelling at Glen, she gets dressed and made up. Where does she go and why?
7. Why is Bone climbing over the fence into the Pearl's backyard?
8. Describe Sheriff Cole. Does he really care what happens to Bone?
9. Explain the significance of Aunt Alma's scrapbook for Bone.
10. Describe the differences between Mama and her girls and the children of Glen's brothers.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the five Boatwright sisters: Anney, Raylene, Alma, Carr, and Ruth. Who is the most different and why? Describe the relationship between the five women as children and as adults.
Essay Topic 2
When Ruth dies, Mama cries that Ruth's worth was measured by having babies and that Mama's love was never enough for Ruth. Is Bone's love enough for Mama? Why or why not? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Bone suffers from abuse for years. At first, she doesn't realize she is being sexually abused because there is no penetration. However, her discomfort at Glen holding her close lets the reader understand what's happening. Explain the connection between the abuse and masturbation and violent fantasies.
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)