|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Bone that she isn't a racehorse?
2. Who does Bone love best of all her cousins?
3. What does Bone do on Wednesday nights in Chapter 10?
4. Does Bone ever see her real father?
5. Who compares Glen to a "junkyard dog waiting to steal a bone"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Earle Bone's favorite uncle?
2. What are the two things that people talk about when they talk about Glen? How are the two things alike?
3. How is the hook changed? What is Bone's reaction?
4. The beginning of Chapter 20 shows the healing of two people. Who are they?
5. Describe the changes in Reese in Chapter 12.
6. Why does Bone want to be a singer?
7. Why does Bone begin looking at herself in mirrors?
8. Describe Mama's and Aunt Ruth's relationship.
9. Describe Shannon Pearl.
10. In Chapter 6, Mama tells the girls about she and her siblings making up foods they would never have or wouldn't want. Why does she do this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bone says that "things come apart so easily when they have been held together with lies." What are the results when the relatives learn of Bone's physical abuse? Ultimately, is it a good or bad thing? If it had not happened, would Bone have been raped or not? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Foreshadowing can be an effective tool in hinting to the reader. This literary tool is used in "Bastard Out of Carolina." Find 3 examples of foreshadowing and describe how they indicate events to come.
Essay Topic 3
Both Bone and Shannon Pearl go through periods where they tell horrific tales fulls of violence. Compare and contrast the stories that each girl tells and their reasons for creating these stories.
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)