Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Granny call an "ugly, ugly little thing"?
2. How long does Mama date Glen?
3. How do Bone and her sister get to Aunt Alma's in Chapter 6?
4. Who tells Mama that Bone is being beaten?
5. According to Mama in Chapter 7, how did she and Aunt Raylene earn money when they were girls?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Bone drawn to Shannon Pearl?
2. How is Aunt Raylene different from her sisters?
3. Chapter 8 opens with the love knot disintegrating and being swept away. What does this foretell?
4. In trying to help Bone understand why her mother hasn't visited her, Aunt Raylene reveals something about herself that Bone didn't know. What is it?
5. Describe the differences between Mama and her girls and the children of Glen's brothers.
6. Why does Bone begin looking at herself in mirrors?
7. What are the two things that people talk about when they talk about Glen? How are the two things alike?
8. In Chapter 2, Mama tells Bone not to pay any attention to what Granny says because some women love their sons more than their daughters. What do you think the effect of this type of thinking is on female children?
9. Aunt Ruth tells Mama that she looks like a Boatwright after Lyle dies. What does she mean by that?
10. How does Bone's obsession with religion begin?
As in "Bastard Out of Carolina," keeping secrets contributes in the continuation of abuse. Explain why people--both adults and children--keep abuse a secret. In your opinion, what is the best time for Bone to expose the secret and why?
Read the quote by James Baldwin at the beginning of the book. Discuss in detail how this applies to "Bastard Out of Carolina."
Dorothy Allison makes several references to looking like a Boatwright. Bone watches for this and looks for the Boatwright birthright in both her appearance and her behavior as she tries to figure out who she is. Find both positive and negative examples of what being a Boatwright means. By the end of the book, is Bone glad she's a Boatwright?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)