|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose boots are bought in the boys' department of the Sears and Roebuck?
2. Who was the nurse at the hospital?
3. What does Shannon Pearl's father do for a living?
4. Bone worships her uncles. Who are they?
5. What causes Glen to sob in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. As a young child, why does Bone idolize her uncles and want to be like them?
2. How is the hook changed? What is Bone's reaction?
3. Glen is very happy about Mama's pregnancy. What does it mean for him?
4. What does Bone know about her biological father?
5. Why does Bone create games like the "Dalton Girls" and the "Mean Sisters"?
6. Bone says she doesn't want to go to Shannon's family barbecue, but she ends up going. Why do you think she goes?
7. Why does Mama find Bone's birth certificate upsetting?
8. Why does Bone want to be a singer?
9. Mama is so angry about her children going hungry that after yelling at Glen, she gets dressed and made up. Where does she go and why?
10. Aunt Ruth asks Bone if they can talk to each other, meaning she wonders if can they tell each other the truth. Do they?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing can be an effective tool in hinting to the reader. This literary tool is used in "Bastard Out of Carolina." Find 3 examples of foreshadowing and describe how they indicate events to come.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the five Boatwright sisters: Anney, Raylene, Alma, Carr, and Ruth. Who is the most different and why? Describe the relationship between the five women as children and as adults.
Essay Topic 3
Granny is a frequent presence early in the book, but she is hardly heard from in the last half of the book. Why do you believe the author chooses to do this? What is Granny's purpose in the book?
This section contains 1,440 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)