|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Bone and her sister get to Aunt Alma's in Chapter 6?
2. In Chapter 7, who does Mama describe as "just bad all the way through"?
3. When and where does the first incident of Glen molesting Bone occur?
4. What does Boone compare the hair of her sick aunt to?
5. According to Earle, every third family in Greenville County swears it's what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Bone and her family begin moving frequently in Chapter 5, never staying in one place very long. Why is this?
2. Describe Shannon Pearl.
3. How does Aunt Raylene take care of Bone in the hospital?
4. Chapter 8 opens with the love knot disintegrating and being swept away. What does this foretell?
5. What is the implied meaning of the word "established" when uttered by the court clerk?
6. Why does Bone want to be a singer?
7. What do you think of Glen's statement, "You're mine, all of you, mine" after Mama agrees to marry him?
8. What is Mama trying to accomplish when she punishes Bone for stealing? In your opinion, does it work?
9. Glen is very happy about Mama's pregnancy. What does it mean for him?
10. Why does Ruth like being pregnant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The book often mentions Glen's empty face or eyes. Explain what this means. Connect this to Glen's need to turn his face away from the camera when family pictures are being taken.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Bone and Reese. Why does Glen choose to abuse Bone, but not Reese? With Bone out of the picture at the end of the book, do you think Glen will change? Will he start abusing Reese?
Essay Topic 3
When Ruth dies, Mama cries that Ruth's worth was measured by having babies and that Mama's love was never enough for Ruth. Is Bone's love enough for Mama? Why or why not? Explain your answer.
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)