|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is referred to as "black-headed and strange" with a "man-type part"?
2. Whose photographic image is described "as flat and empty as a sheet of tin in the sun"?
3. Why does Deedee agree to come home and help care for her mother?
4. Bone is a nickname for Ruth Anne. She is named after whom?
5. What does Mama cook on the sides of the pan with the eggs?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the changes in Reese in Chapter 12.
2. Bone and her family begin moving frequently in Chapter 5, never staying in one place very long. Why is this?
3. How does Bone's relationship with Earle and Grey change after Alma's breakdown?
4. Why is it important to Bone not to scream when Glen is beating her in Chapter 17?
5. The first time Mama leaves Glen is for two weeks. What makes her decide to return?
6. Why does Ruth like being pregnant?
7. Bone finally sees a smile in Glen's eyes before he molests her, but it vanishes afterwards. Why?
8. After Glen beats Bone with a belt for the first time, Mama asks Bone what she did. Why doesn't Bone tell her?
9. Why does Bone begin looking at herself in mirrors?
10. Aunt Ruth asks Bone if they can talk to each other, meaning she wonders if can they tell each other the truth. Do they?
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing can be an effective tool in hinting to the reader. This literary tool is used in "Bastard Out of Carolina." Find 3 examples of foreshadowing and describe how they indicate events to come.
Essay Topic 2
Granny is a frequent presence early in the book, but she is hardly heard from in the last half of the book. Why do you believe the author chooses to do this? What is Granny's purpose in the book?
Essay Topic 3
As in "Bastard Out of Carolina," keeping secrets contributes in the continuation of abuse. Explain why people--both adults and children--keep abuse a secret. In your opinion, what is the best time for Bone to expose the secret and why?
This section contains 1,423 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)