|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Aunt Carr live?
2. What role does Bone play in the wedding?
3. Bone and Reese make fun of what in Chapter 5?
4. What does Boone spend her money earned from washing dishes on?
5. Who does Bone try to save from "heathen ways"?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Glen beats Bone with a belt for the first time, Mama asks Bone what she did. Why doesn't Bone tell her?
2. Who is Bone's favorite cousin and why?
3. Mama, Glen, and Reese stand with their arms around each other in Chapter 5, but Bone stands outside the circle. Why do you think that is?
4. Why does the world that comes over the radio seem far away to Bone in Chapter 2?
5. Glen is very happy about Mama's pregnancy. What does it mean for him?
6. Do you think that Mama cares if people think she burned down the courthouse?
7. Bone says she doesn't want to go to Shannon's family barbecue, but she ends up going. Why do you think she goes?
8. How is Aunt Raylene different from her sisters?
9. Describe Bone at age 10.
10. Do either the Waddells or the Boatwrights respect Glen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fantasy becomes an important part Bone's life. Choose three uses of fantasy, and describe how they help Bone cope with her situation.
Essay Topic 2
Mama makes many decisions in the book--marrying Glen, leaving him, going back to him, and staying with him in the end. Describe the thoughts she probably had and what her choices are. Choose one of her major decisions and write a supportive argument for what she decides.
Essay Topic 3
Symbolism is an important component in "Bastard Out of Carolina." Choose either the love knot or the hook, and describe its symbolism in the story.
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)