|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bone dream of buying her mother after she became a famous singer?
2. Who takes photos of everyone with a camera in Chapter 3?
3. What does Mama cook on the sides of the pan with the eggs?
4. How long did Mama and the kids live away from Glen?
5. Why does Mama go to the courthouse on Bone's birthday each year?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Bone climbing over the fence into the Pearl's backyard?
2. Explain the significance of Aunt Alma's scrapbook for Bone.
3. How does Bone's relationship with Earle and Grey change after Alma's breakdown?
4. Who is Bone's favorite cousin and why?
5. After Glen beats Bone with a belt for the first time, Mama asks Bone what she did. Why doesn't Bone tell her?
6. Bone sees two different sides of Glen. Describe them.
7. Why is Earle Bone's favorite uncle?
8. Why does Mama leave Glen only after her siblings find out that he has beaten Bone?
9. What are the two things that people talk about when they talk about Glen? How are the two things alike?
10. Why does the world that comes over the radio seem far away to Bone in Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fantasy becomes an important part Bone's life. Choose three uses of fantasy, and describe how they help Bone cope with her situation.
Essay Topic 2
Bone asks her mother if she looks like her father who she doesn't have contact with. Mama refuses to answer. According to Bone, what she really wants from her mother is her story, "the place where she had made herself different from all her brothers and sisters and shut her mouth on her life." Explain what Bone means by this statement.
Essay Topic 3
Read the quote by James Baldwin at the beginning of the book. Discuss in detail how this applies to "Bastard Out of Carolina."
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)