|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Parsons give Mama?
2. What was Glen's first job after the move in Chapter 8?
3. What causes Glen to sob in Chapter 4?
4. What is Bone doing before Glen takes her into the bathroom and whips her with a belt?
5. Who comes to the diner almost everyday for lunch?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Sheriff Cole. Does he really care what happens to Bone?
2. How is Aunt Raylene different from her sisters?
3. Why does Bone begin looking at herself in mirrors?
4. What are the two things that people talk about when they talk about Glen? How are the two things alike?
5. Describe Aunt Alma's breakdown.
6. Chapter 8 opens with the love knot disintegrating and being swept away. What does this foretell?
7. Glen is very happy about Mama's pregnancy. What does it mean for him?
8. In Chapter 2, Mama tells Bone not to pay any attention to what Granny says because some women love their sons more than their daughters. What do you think the effect of this type of thinking is on female children?
9. Describe Shannon Pearl.
10. What does Bone know about her biological father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bone says that "things come apart so easily when they have been held together with lies." What are the results when the relatives learn of Bone's physical abuse? Ultimately, is it a good or bad thing? If it had not happened, would Bone have been raped or not? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Fantasy becomes an important part Bone's life. Choose three uses of fantasy, and describe how they help Bone cope with her situation.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Bone and Reese. Why does Glen choose to abuse Bone, but not Reese? With Bone out of the picture at the end of the book, do you think Glen will change? Will he start abusing Reese?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)