|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Mama that Bone is being beaten?
2. Who is Matthew Parsons?
3. When and where does the first incident of Glen molesting Bone occur?
4. In Chapter 3, when people talk about Glen, what two things do they mention most often?
5. Who does Bone take roses from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Mama's family doesn't like Glen and don't want him to marry Mama. What are their reasons, and do you agree?
2. Why does Ruth like being pregnant?
3. Bone finally sees a smile in Glen's eyes before he molests her, but it vanishes afterwards. Why?
4. How is Aunt Raylene different from her sisters?
5. Why does the world that comes over the radio seem far away to Bone in Chapter 2?
6. Why does Mama leave Glen only after her siblings find out that he has beaten Bone?
7. Mama is so angry about her children going hungry that after yelling at Glen, she gets dressed and made up. Where does she go and why?
8. Chapter 8 opens with the love knot disintegrating and being swept away. What does this foretell?
9. Why is Earle Bone's favorite uncle?
10. Describe the differences between Mama and her girls and the children of Glen's brothers.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hunger is another strong feeling evident in "Bastard Out of Carolina." Compare and contrast Bone's physical hunger when the family has no food with the angry, rage-filled hunger she feels at the Woolworth's and at the Waddell's.
Essay Topic 2
Mama makes many decisions in the book--marrying Glen, leaving him, going back to him, and staying with him in the end. Describe the thoughts she probably had and what her choices are. Choose one of her major decisions and write a supportive argument for what she decides.
Essay Topic 3
Bone says that "things come apart so easily when they have been held together with lies." What are the results when the relatives learn of Bone's physical abuse? Ultimately, is it a good or bad thing? If it had not happened, would Bone have been raped or not? Explain your answer.
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)