|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What season of the year does Mama marry Glen?
2. What type of cigarette does Glen smoke in Chapter 4?
3. Which aunt does Bone spend her summer helping to take care of?
4. What does Mrs. Parsons give Mama?
5. How does Mama's first husband die?
Short Essay Questions
1. As a young child, why does Bone idolize her uncles and want to be like them?
2. Why does Bone want to be a singer?
3. Mama is so angry about her children going hungry that after yelling at Glen, she gets dressed and made up. Where does she go and why?
4. What is the implied meaning of the word "established" when uttered by the court clerk?
5. Chapter 8 opens with the love knot disintegrating and being swept away. What does this foretell?
6. Describe Shannon Pearl.
7. Is Bone happy that Mama finally moves them away from Glen?
8. In trying to help Bone understand why her mother hasn't visited her, Aunt Raylene reveals something about herself that Bone didn't know. What is it?
9. What is Mama trying to accomplish when she punishes Bone for stealing? In your opinion, does it work?
10. After Glen beats Bone with a belt for the first time, Mama asks Bone what she did. Why doesn't Bone tell her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Symbolism is an important component in "Bastard Out of Carolina." Choose either the love knot or the hook, and describe its symbolism in the story.
Essay Topic 2
When Ruth dies, Mama cries that Ruth's worth was measured by having babies and that Mama's love was never enough for Ruth. Is Bone's love enough for Mama? Why or why not? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of religion in Bone's life. Compare it to the role religion plays in Shannon's life.
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)