|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Bone, Glen smells of after-shave, cigarettes, Coca-Cola, and one more thing. What is that one thing?
2. Who decides that 'illegitimate' should be stamped on Bone's birth certificate?
3. Where does the family move to after Bone turned ten years old?
4. According to Aunt Madeline, kids are what?
5. Bone and Reese make fun of what in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Bone's favorite cousin and why?
2. Do either the Waddells or the Boatwrights respect Glen?
3. How does Bone's obsession with religion begin?
4. What is Mama trying to accomplish when she punishes Bone for stealing? In your opinion, does it work?
5. Explain the significance of Aunt Alma's scrapbook for Bone.
6. How does Aunt Raylene take care of Bone in the hospital?
7. What do you think of Glen's statement, "You're mine, all of you, mine" after Mama agrees to marry him?
8. Why is Earle Bone's favorite uncle?
9. In Chapter 6, Mama tells the girls about she and her siblings making up foods they would never have or wouldn't want. Why does she do this?
10. Mama is so angry about her children going hungry that after yelling at Glen, she gets dressed and made up. Where does she go and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mama makes many decisions in the book--marrying Glen, leaving him, going back to him, and staying with him in the end. Describe the thoughts she probably had and what her choices are. Choose one of her major decisions and write a supportive argument for what she decides.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Bone and Reese. Why does Glen choose to abuse Bone, but not Reese? With Bone out of the picture at the end of the book, do you think Glen will change? Will he start abusing Reese?
Essay Topic 3
Both Bone and her mother have an obsession about being thought of or treated as "trash." What does being trash mean to each of them? Find three instances each of Mama and Bone's concern over their social status.
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)