|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Granny call an "ugly, ugly little thing"?
2. Bone and Reese make fun of what in Chapter 5?
3. Who is Matthew Parsons?
4. Who is Mrs. Parsons?
5. What color are Shannon Pearl's eyes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Bone sees two different sides of Glen. Describe them.
2. How does Bone's relationship with Earle and Grey change after Alma's breakdown?
3. How does Aunt Raylene take care of Bone in the hospital?
4. Explain the significance of Aunt Alma's scrapbook for Bone.
5. Why is Bone drawn to Shannon Pearl?
6. Chapter 8 opens with the love knot disintegrating and being swept away. What does this foretell?
7. Bone and her family begin moving frequently in Chapter 5, never staying in one place very long. Why is this?
8. How does Bone's obsession with religion begin?
9. Glen's photograph tells a viewer little about him. Bone says his eyes are empty. What might this mean?
10. Mama's family doesn't like Glen and don't want him to marry Mama. What are their reasons, and do you agree?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fantasy becomes an important part Bone's life. Choose three uses of fantasy, and describe how they help Bone cope with her situation.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the five Boatwright sisters: Anney, Raylene, Alma, Carr, and Ruth. Who is the most different and why? Describe the relationship between the five women as children and as adults.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of Bone being illegitimate? Would it make any difference for any of the main characters if the state had not stamped that information on Bone's birth certificate? Explain the significance of Mama leaving Bone with the unstamped birth certificate as her parting gift.
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)