|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bone do on Wednesday nights in Chapter 10?
2. What kind of shoes does Bone long for when she turns nine years old?
3. Who has many jobs, including one at the RC Cola plant?
4. What does Bone like to listen to on the radio early in the morning?
5. Who hopes that Anney can give Glen a son?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the love knot that the great-aunts make for Mama and Glen symbolize?
2. Describe Bone at age 10.
3. What is Mama trying to accomplish when she punishes Bone for stealing? In your opinion, does it work?
4. Why does Bone create games like the "Dalton Girls" and the "Mean Sisters"?
5. Aunt Ruth asks Bone if they can talk to each other, meaning she wonders if can they tell each other the truth. Do they?
6. Glen is very happy about Mama's pregnancy. What does it mean for him?
7. Describe Aunt Alma's breakdown.
8. Describe the regrets that Bone has after Ruth dies.
9. Why does Bone begin looking at herself in mirrors?
10. Who is Bone's favorite cousin and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Ruth dies, Mama cries that Ruth's worth was measured by having babies and that Mama's love was never enough for Ruth. Is Bone's love enough for Mama? Why or why not? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Bone and Reese. Why does Glen choose to abuse Bone, but not Reese? With Bone out of the picture at the end of the book, do you think Glen will change? Will he start abusing Reese?
Essay Topic 3
Bone suffers from abuse for years. At first, she doesn't realize she is being sexually abused because there is no penetration. However, her discomfort at Glen holding her close lets the reader understand what's happening. Explain the connection between the abuse and masturbation and violent fantasies.
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)