|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of the pretend meals that Bone and Reese make up?
2. In Chapter 8, Mama expresses concern over Bone being accident prone. What causes Bone's injuries?
3. What does Shannon Pearl's father do for a living?
4. Where is Glen when Mama cooks eggs for Bone and Reese?
5. How many people are in the downstairs apartment, according to Grey?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Sheriff Cole. Does he really care what happens to Bone?
2. Why does Mama leave Glen only after her siblings find out that he has beaten Bone?
3. Bone says she doesn't want to go to Shannon's family barbecue, but she ends up going. Why do you think she goes?
4. Mama, Glen, and Reese stand with their arms around each other in Chapter 5, but Bone stands outside the circle. Why do you think that is?
5. In Chapter 8, Bone begins suffering many injuries at Glen's hands. Does it seem realistic that her mother wouldn't realize what is going on?
6. How does Bone's obsession with religion begin?
7. In Chapter 2, Mama tells Bone not to pay any attention to what Granny says because some women love their sons more than their daughters. What do you think the effect of this type of thinking is on female children?
8. Why does Bone try to scare Reese against hitchhiking while at the same time doing it herself?
9. Why does Bone create games like the "Dalton Girls" and the "Mean Sisters"?
10. Bone sees two different sides of Glen. Describe them.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As in "Bastard Out of Carolina," keeping secrets contributes in the continuation of abuse. Explain why people--both adults and children--keep abuse a secret. In your opinion, what is the best time for Bone to expose the secret and why?
Essay Topic 2
Fantasy becomes an important part Bone's life. Choose three uses of fantasy, and describe how they help Bone cope with her situation.
Essay Topic 3
Symbolism is an important component in "Bastard Out of Carolina." Choose either the love knot or the hook, and describe its symbolism in the story.
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)