|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mama's first husband die?
2. When Bone's family moves into a new home, Glen sends them outside with scissors to do what?
3. What is the setting in this book?
4. Who does Granny call an "ugly, ugly little thing"?
5. What color are Shannon Pearl's eyes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the significance of Aunt Alma's scrapbook for Bone.
2. Glen's photograph tells a viewer little about him. Bone says his eyes are empty. What might this mean?
3. What is the implied meaning of the word "established" when uttered by the court clerk?
4. Do you think that Mama cares if people think she burned down the courthouse?
5. When Mrs. Parson's comes to visit and bring Lyle's insurance money, Mama struggles between being polite and hoping Mrs. Parson leave before Glen returns home. What do you think Glen would do?
6. Aunt Ruth tells Mama that she looks like a Boatwright after Lyle dies. What does she mean by that?
7. What does Bone know about her biological father?
8. Mama, Glen, and Reese stand with their arms around each other in Chapter 5, but Bone stands outside the circle. Why do you think that is?
9. Why does Mama find Bone's birth certificate upsetting?
10. Why does Glen come to Alma's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As in "Bastard Out of Carolina," keeping secrets contributes in the continuation of abuse. Explain why people--both adults and children--keep abuse a secret. In your opinion, what is the best time for Bone to expose the secret and why?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the five Boatwright sisters: Anney, Raylene, Alma, Carr, and Ruth. Who is the most different and why? Describe the relationship between the five women as children and as adults.
Essay Topic 3
Both Bone and her mother have an obsession about being thought of or treated as "trash." What does being trash mean to each of them? Find three instances each of Mama and Bone's concern over their social status.
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)