Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Granny call an "ugly, ugly little thing"?
2. How long does Mama date Glen?
3. How do Bone and her sister get to Aunt Alma's in Chapter 6?
4. Who tells Mama that Bone is being beaten?
5. According to Mama in Chapter 7, how did she and Aunt Raylene earn money when they were girls?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Bone drawn to Shannon Pearl?
2. How is Aunt Raylene different from her sisters?
3. Chapter 8 opens with the love knot disintegrating and being swept away. What does this foretell?
4. In trying to help Bone understand why her mother hasn't visited her, Aunt Raylene reveals something about herself that Bone didn't know. What is it?
5. Describe the differences between Mama and her girls and the children of Glen's brothers.
6. Why does Bone begin looking at herself in mirrors?
7. What are the two things that people talk about when they talk about Glen? How are the two things alike?
8. In Chapter 2, Mama tells Bone not to pay any attention to what Granny says because some women love their sons more than their daughters. What do you think the effect of this type of thinking is on female children?
9. Aunt Ruth tells Mama that she looks like a Boatwright after Lyle dies. What does she mean by that?
10. How does Bone's obsession with religion begin?
Essay Topic 1
The book often mentions Glen's empty face or eyes. Explain what this means. Connect this to Glen's need to turn his face away from the camera when family pictures are being taken.
Essay Topic 2
Granny is a frequent presence early in the book, but she is hardly heard from in the last half of the book. Why do you believe the author chooses to do this? What is Granny's purpose in the book?
Essay Topic 3
When Ruth dies, Mama cries that Ruth's worth was measured by having babies and that Mama's love was never enough for Ruth. Is Bone's love enough for Mama? Why or why not? Explain your answer.
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)