|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the first thing Mama did to Glen after he first hit Bone with a belt?
2. Bone is a nickname for Ruth Anne. She is named after whom?
3. Who gets caught stealing a quart of RC Cola from the grocery store?
4. What clothing does Bone beg from her aunts?
5. How many people are in the downstairs apartment, according to Grey?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Bone's favorite cousin and why?
2. When Mrs. Parson's comes to visit and bring Lyle's insurance money, Mama struggles between being polite and hoping Mrs. Parson leave before Glen returns home. What do you think Glen would do?
3. Describe Bone at age 10.
4. Why does Bone want to be a singer?
5. In Chapter 6, Mama tells the girls about she and her siblings making up foods they would never have or wouldn't want. Why does she do this?
6. Describe the changes in Reese in Chapter 12.
7. Describe the differences between Mama and her girls and the children of Glen's brothers.
8. Mama is so angry about her children going hungry that after yelling at Glen, she gets dressed and made up. Where does she go and why?
9. What are the two things that people talk about when they talk about Glen? How are the two things alike?
10. What does Bone know about her biological father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fantasy becomes an important part Bone's life. Choose three uses of fantasy, and describe how they help Bone cope with her situation.
Essay Topic 2
Bone says that "things come apart so easily when they have been held together with lies." What are the results when the relatives learn of Bone's physical abuse? Ultimately, is it a good or bad thing? If it had not happened, would Bone have been raped or not? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Granny is a frequent presence early in the book, but she is hardly heard from in the last half of the book. Why do you believe the author chooses to do this? What is Granny's purpose in the book?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)