|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Reese's father?
2. What does Bone dream of buying her mother after she became a famous singer?
3. Bone wanted hands as strong as Glen's. How did she exercise them?
4. Who is Bone's favorite uncle?
5. What does Bone feel when she passes the Woolworth's windows?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Bone at age 10.
2. As a young child, why does Bone idolize her uncles and want to be like them?
3. How does Bone's obsession with religion begin?
4. Do either the Waddells or the Boatwrights respect Glen?
5. Why is Bone drawn to Shannon Pearl?
6. How is Aunt Raylene different from her sisters?
7. Why does Bone try to scare Reese against hitchhiking while at the same time doing it herself?
8. Why does Mama leave Glen only after her siblings find out that he has beaten Bone?
9. Do you think that Mama cares if people think she burned down the courthouse?
10. What are the two things that people talk about when they talk about Glen? How are the two things alike?
Essay Topic 1
Fantasy becomes an important part Bone's life. Choose three uses of fantasy, and describe how they help Bone cope with her situation.
Essay Topic 2
When Ruth dies, Mama cries that Ruth's worth was measured by having babies and that Mama's love was never enough for Ruth. Is Bone's love enough for Mama? Why or why not? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Foreshadowing can be an effective tool in hinting to the reader. This literary tool is used in "Bastard Out of Carolina." Find 3 examples of foreshadowing and describe how they indicate events to come.
This section contains 1,437 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)