|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mama pack for the picnic?
2. What are the occupations of Glen's brothers?
3. How old is Mama when Bone was born?
4. One of Alma's children is named Annie, but her nickname is what?
5. What does Bone feel when she passes the Woolworth's windows?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Sheriff Cole. Does he really care what happens to Bone?
2. Aunt Ruth tells Mama that she looks like a Boatwright after Lyle dies. What does she mean by that?
3. Describe Shannon Pearl.
4. Glen's photograph tells a viewer little about him. Bone says his eyes are empty. What might this mean?
5. When Mrs. Parson's comes to visit and bring Lyle's insurance money, Mama struggles between being polite and hoping Mrs. Parson leave before Glen returns home. What do you think Glen would do?
6. How is the hook changed? What is Bone's reaction?
7. Is Bone happy that Mama finally moves them away from Glen?
8. Who is Bone's favorite cousin and why?
9. Mama is so angry about her children going hungry that after yelling at Glen, she gets dressed and made up. Where does she go and why?
10. What are the two things that people talk about when they talk about Glen? How are the two things alike?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As in "Bastard Out of Carolina," keeping secrets contributes in the continuation of abuse. Explain why people--both adults and children--keep abuse a secret. In your opinion, what is the best time for Bone to expose the secret and why?
Essay Topic 2
Both Bone and her mother have an obsession about being thought of or treated as "trash." What does being trash mean to each of them? Find three instances each of Mama and Bone's concern over their social status.
Essay Topic 3
Bone asks her mother if she looks like her father who she doesn't have contact with. Mama refuses to answer. According to Bone, what she really wants from her mother is her story, "the place where she had made herself different from all her brothers and sisters and shut her mouth on her life." Explain what Bone means by this statement.
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)