|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Deedee agree to come home and help care for her mother?
2. Bone wanted hands as strong as Glen's. How did she exercise them?
3. Where does Aunt Carr live?
4. How often do Bone's family visit Glen's family?
5. Bone is a nickname for Ruth Anne. She is named after whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bone's obsession with religion begin?
2. Why does Ruth like being pregnant?
3. Glen is very happy about Mama's pregnancy. What does it mean for him?
4. As a young child, why does Bone idolize her uncles and want to be like them?
5. Describe Aunt Alma's breakdown.
6. Why is it important to Bone not to scream when Glen is beating her in Chapter 17?
7. Mama's family doesn't like Glen and don't want him to marry Mama. What are their reasons, and do you agree?
8. Mama, Glen, and Reese stand with their arms around each other in Chapter 5, but Bone stands outside the circle. Why do you think that is?
9. The beginning of Chapter 20 shows the healing of two people. Who are they?
10. Why does Mama find Bone's birth certificate upsetting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bone suffers from abuse for years. At first, she doesn't realize she is being sexually abused because there is no penetration. However, her discomfort at Glen holding her close lets the reader understand what's happening. Explain the connection between the abuse and masturbation and violent fantasies.
Essay Topic 2
Read the quote by James Baldwin at the beginning of the book. Discuss in detail how this applies to "Bastard Out of Carolina."
Essay Topic 3
Dorothy Allison makes several references to looking like a Boatwright. Bone watches for this and looks for the Boatwright birthright in both her appearance and her behavior as she tries to figure out who she is. Find both positive and negative examples of what being a Boatwright means. By the end of the book, is Bone glad she's a Boatwright?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)