|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Pete's nickname?
2. What activity does Lupe begin to master?
3. What does Mrs. Moreno buy for Yollie's school dance?
4. Who does Gilbert have a crush on?
5. What contest does Lupe win at the public library?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Gilbert's attitude towards karate after he enrolls in lessons.
2. Describe Mrs. Moreno.
3. How is Manuel's act received by the audience?
4. Why does Lupe want to master marble shooting?
5. Describe Yollie.
6. What is significant about the $100 Mrs. Moreno has saved?
7. What happens to Manuel at practice?
8. Explain what happens at Gilbert and Pete's first fight.
9. What happens at the end of "Seventh Grade"?
10. Describe Teresa.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Soto's theme of the adolescent boy being motivated by his school crush. What is his purpose is for reiterating this idea with familiar events.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze "The Karate Kid" and discuss how Gilbert's desire to become a karate master and defeat the school bully is diminished by the reality of the situation.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of overcoming failure and finding one's ability in "Baseball in April and Other Stories."
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)