|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Pete's nickname?
2. What extracurricular activity is Yollie captain of?
3. How does Gilbert stand before he fights Pete?
4. What happens at the dance to make Yollie horrified?
5. How does "The Marble Champ" end?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Gilbert's attitude towards karate after he enrolls in lessons.
2. What happens to Manuel at practice?
3. Explain what happens at Gilbert and Pete's first fight.
4. What is significant about the $100 Mrs. Moreno has saved?
5. Describe Yollie.
6. What is Manuel's financial status?
7. Describe Gilbert Sanchez.
8. Describe Lupe Medrano.
9. Why does Victor want to take French?
10. How does Gilbert get out of finishing his lessons?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Yollie's reaction to her dress's dye running with Veronica's reaction to the loss of her Barbie doll's head. What does Soto suggest about childhood with these two devastating moments.
Essay Topic 2
Why does Soto transition his families finances from poor and mostly unstable to a more wealthy and stable status? What significance does this have on Soto's overall book?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze "The Karate Kid" and discuss how Gilbert's desire to become a karate master and defeat the school bully is diminished by the reality of the situation.
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)