|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What day is "Seventh Grade" set in?
2. What happens at the dance to make Yollie horrified?
3. What is Pete's nickname?
4. How does "The Marble Champ" end?
5. Where does Victor sit in French class?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lupe prepare for her competition in marble shooting?
2. How does "The Marble Champ" end?
3. What is significant about the $100 Mrs. Moreno has saved?
4. Describe the significance to the end of "Mother and Daughter."
5. Describe Mrs. Moreno.
6. Describe Michael Torres.
7. Describe Pete the Heat.
8. What happens at the end of "Seventh Grade"?
9. What happens to Manuel at practice?
10. Describe Lupe Medrano.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how and why "The Marble Champ" is the most straightforward story in the collection of "Baseball in April and Other Stories."
Essay Topic 2
Describe what Soto is suggesting about adolescent girls through his character Teresa in "Seventh Grade," who asserts her interest in Victor after having a class together.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the importance of three characters and their motivations in the stories "Baseball in April and Other Stories." Specifically, what do they invest their time and energy on.
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)