|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gilbert fantasize about?
2. With whom does Gilbert live?
3. Who helps Lupe improve her skills in "The Marble Champ"?
4. Who does Victor impress in "Seventh Grade"?
5. Where does Yollie go on her first date?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does "The Marble Champ" end?
2. What is the conflict of "Mother and Daughter"?
3. How is Manuel's act received by the audience?
4. What does Manuel volunteer for?
5. Explain why Victor has picked grapes all summer in "Seventh Grade."
6. How does Gilbert react to his fight with Pete?
7. What happens to Manuel at practice?
8. Why does Victor want to take French?
9. Describe the significance to the end of "Mother and Daughter."
10. Describe Yollie.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Soto transition his families finances from poor and mostly unstable to a more wealthy and stable status? What significance does this have on Soto's overall book?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how and why "The Marble Champ" is the most straightforward story in the collection of "Baseball in April and Other Stories."
Essay Topic 3
Analyze "The Karate Kid" and discuss how Gilbert's desire to become a karate master and defeat the school bully is diminished by the reality of the situation.
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)