|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what reason did Victor choose his elective?
2. How does Gilbert stand before he fights Pete?
3. What does Gilbert grow tired of?
4. What day is "Seventh Grade" set in?
5. What does Lupe win at the science fair?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is common knowledge at school and why is it important?
2. What is Manuel's financial status?
3. How does Gilbert react to his fight with Pete?
4. Describe Mrs. Moreno.
5. What is significant about the $100 Mrs. Moreno has saved?
6. What happens at the end of "Seventh Grade"?
7. Describe Yollie.
8. Describe the significance to the end of "Mother and Daughter."
9. Describe Pete the Heat.
10. Explain what happens at Gilbert and Pete's first fight.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and evaluate how Soto associates ethnicity to each of his family's financial status.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Soto's theme of the adolescent boy being motivated by his school crush. What is his purpose is for reiterating this idea with familiar events.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the motif of financial instability within the families in "Baseball in April and Other Stories." Why is that information included in every story?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)