|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lupe win at the science fair?
2. Who asks Victor for help in French class at the end of the story?
3. How old is Lupe Medrano?
4. What does Mrs. Moreno hope Yollie will become?
5. When does Victor's crush first speak to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Gilbert's attitude towards karate after he enrolls in lessons.
2. Why does Lupe want to master marble shooting?
3. How does Lupe prepare for her competition in marble shooting?
4. What is significant about the $100 Mrs. Moreno has saved?
5. Explain why Victor has picked grapes all summer in "Seventh Grade."
6. How does "The Marble Champ" end?
7. How is Manuel's act received by the audience?
8. Describe the significance to the end of "Mother and Daughter."
9. Describe Mrs. Moreno.
10. How does Gilbert get out of finishing his lessons?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Soto transition his families finances from poor and mostly unstable to a more wealthy and stable status? What significance does this have on Soto's overall book?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze "The Karate Kid" and discuss how Gilbert's desire to become a karate master and defeat the school bully is diminished by the reality of the situation.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the motif of financial instability within the families in "Baseball in April and Other Stories." Why is that information included in every story?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)