|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does NOT describe Mrs. Moreno, Yollie's mom?
2. Where is Lupe, the best student?
3. What does Pete flatten Gilbert with?
4. What does Gilbert ask his mom for?
5. What does Manuel's dad do for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the significance to the end of "Mother and Daughter."
2. Why does Lupe want to master marble shooting?
3. What does Manuel volunteer for?
4. What is common knowledge at school and why is it important?
5. How does Lupe prepare for her competition in marble shooting?
6. What is the conflict of "Mother and Daughter"?
7. Explain why Victor has picked grapes all summer in "Seventh Grade."
8. What happens at the end of "Seventh Grade"?
9. Describe Pete the Heat.
10. Describe Michael Torres.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze "The Karate Kid" and discuss how Gilbert's desire to become a karate master and defeat the school bully is diminished by the reality of the situation.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Yollie's reaction to her dress's dye running with Veronica's reaction to the loss of her Barbie doll's head. What does Soto suggest about childhood with these two devastating moments.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and evaluate how Soto associates ethnicity to each of his family's financial status.
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)