|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Yollie go on her first date?
2. What extracurricular activity is Yollie captain of?
3. Who helps Lupe improve her skills in "The Marble Champ"?
4. How does Gilbert stand before he fights Pete?
5. Which of the following was NOT included in Victor's course schedule?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Manuel's financial status?
2. Explain what happens at Gilbert and Pete's first fight.
3. What is significant about the $100 Mrs. Moreno has saved?
4. How does Lupe prepare for her competition in marble shooting?
5. What is common knowledge at school and why is it important?
6. Describe Lupe Medrano.
7. Explain why Yollie leaves the school dance.
8. Describe Gilbert Sanchez.
9. Describe the significance to the end of "Mother and Daughter."
10. How does "The Marble Champ" end?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Soto transition his families finances from poor and mostly unstable to a more wealthy and stable status? What significance does this have on Soto's overall book?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of overcoming failure and finding one's ability in "Baseball in April and Other Stories."
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the stories in "Baseball in April and Other Stories" consisting of Hispanic families in California.
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)