|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pete do to anger Gilbert?
2. How does the audience react to Manuel's performance?
3. What skills and moves do Gilbert and Raymundo practice?
4. What did Victor spend his summer doing?
5. What day is "Seventh Grade" set in?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Gilbert Sanchez.
2. What happens to Manuel at practice?
3. What is common knowledge at school and why is it important?
4. What does Manuel volunteer for?
5. What happens at the end of "Seventh Grade"?
6. Explain why Yollie leaves the school dance.
7. Why does Lupe want to master marble shooting?
8. Why does Victor want to take French?
9. What is Manuel's financial status?
10. Describe the significance to the end of "Mother and Daughter."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Yollie's reaction to her dress's dye running with Veronica's reaction to the loss of her Barbie doll's head. What does Soto suggest about childhood with these two devastating moments.
Essay Topic 2
Describe what Soto is suggesting about adolescent girls through his character Teresa in "Seventh Grade," who asserts her interest in Victor after having a class together.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Soto's theme of the adolescent boy being motivated by his school crush. What is his purpose is for reiterating this idea with familiar events.
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)