|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What school does Gilbert attend?
2. What does Gilbert refuse to do for Pete?
3. What is the one thing Lupe cannot do?
4. What does Manuel's dad do for a living?
5. What color does Mrs. Moreno dye Yolle's dress?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Pete the Heat.
2. How does Gilbert get out of finishing his lessons?
3. What is significant about the $100 Mrs. Moreno has saved?
4. Explain what happens at Gilbert and Pete's first fight.
5. Describe Gilbert Sanchez.
6. Explain why Yollie leaves the school dance.
7. Describe Yollie.
8. Why does Victor want to take French?
9. How is Manuel's act received by the audience?
10. Describe the significance to the end of "Mother and Daughter."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of overcoming failure and finding one's ability in "Baseball in April and Other Stories."
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Soto's theme of the adolescent boy being motivated by his school crush. What is his purpose is for reiterating this idea with familiar events.
Essay Topic 3
Explain where the tension of "Mother and Daughter" lies.
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)