|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Luis know nothing about?
2. What is Jesse's team named?
3. At the end of "Broken Chain," who lends the main character a bike?
4. What part of town does Fausto realize Roger is from?
5. What do the two boys hope for after try outs?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Fausto do to try and buy a guitar?
2. Describe the effect Los Lobos has on Fausto.
3. Why does Luis give Hector money at the end of "Two Dreamers"?
4. Who is Sandra.
5. Describe what happens at the end of "Broken Chain."
6. Describe the Red Caps.
7. Describe how the local baseball team in "Broken Chain" is doing in its season.
8. Who is Donna?
9. Who does Luis call on the telephone?
10. What does Fausto do with his reward money?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze "The Karate Kid" and discuss how Gilbert's desire to become a karate master and defeat the school bully is diminished by the reality of the situation.
Essay Topic 2
Describe what Soto is suggesting about adolescent girls through his character Teresa in "Seventh Grade," who asserts her interest in Victor after having a class together.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of overcoming failure and finding one's ability in "Baseball in April and Other Stories."
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)