|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Jesse's brother?
2. Where does Veronica go to look for her doll?
3. Why does the main character feel foolish and disappointed after the holiday in "Broken Chain"?
4. Which of the following is NOT used to describe Jesse's coach?
5. Who is the protagonist in "Broken Chain"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does "Barbie" end?
2. How does Gilbert get out of finishing his lessons?
3. Describe Pete the Heat.
4. Describe Gilbert's attitude towards karate after he enrolls in lessons.
5. Describe Alfonso's family life.
6. How does Lupe prepare for her competition in marble shooting?
7. Describe Michael Torres.
8. How is Manuel's act received by the audience?
9. Who is Donna?
10. Who is Sandra.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze "The Karate Kid" and discuss how Gilbert's desire to become a karate master and defeat the school bully is diminished by the reality of the situation.
Essay Topic 2
Describe what Soto is suggesting about adolescent girls through his character Teresa in "Seventh Grade," who asserts her interest in Victor after having a class together.
Essay Topic 3
Describe how the broken chain in " Broken Chain" is a symbol of for Alfonso's adolescent life.
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)