|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Hector and Luis look at property?
2. What are Hector and Luis's common tendencies?
3. What does Hector request from his grandfather?
4. Why does the main character feel foolish and disappointed after the holiday in "Broken Chain"?
5. What is Jesse's coach's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who ends up joining the Hobo Park team?
2. Describe Veronica's new Barbie.
3. Describe the effect Los Lobos has on Fausto.
4. Who is Sandra.
5. Who is Donna?
6. Who does Luis call on the telephone?
7. Who is Martha?
8. Describe Alfonso's physical state.
9. How does "Barbie" end?
10. Describe the ending of "The No-Guitar Blues."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the stories in "Baseball in April and Other Stories" consisting of Hispanic families in California.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why the repeated motif of the grandfather-grandson relationship is particularly significant to Soto.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Yollie's reaction to her dress's dye running with Veronica's reaction to the loss of her Barbie doll's head. What does Soto suggest about childhood with these two devastating moments.
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)