|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the term used for Mexicans that have grown up in California?
2. Why is Ernie not allowed in the party for the poor children?
3. Where does Henriqueta hide her money when the soldiers come into town?
4. What type of job does Josy hold in Tepic?
5. How does the Old Gentleman signal to Ernie that he should come over and help with his tie?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ernie describe the Devil's Backbone?
2. What happens when the soldiers come to Jalco?
3. What differences between Americans and Mexicans does Ernie note in Part Three?
4. What two things interrupt the train's travels to Tucson?
5. What is Ernie's meeting with Juan-Chon like in Part Three?
6. What is Ernie's experience with music in the barrio?
7. What are the residents of Leandro Valle like?
8. Why is Ernie so angry with his mother as they journey to Tepic?
9. What are some effects of the flooding in Jalco?
10. How does Ernie view the train station in Part Two, Section 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please describe the literary technique of a story within a story. What is the purpose of this technique and how is it used in Barrio Boy?
Essay Topic 2
Ernie takes great time to describe the lifestyle of Jalco. Please describe the lifestyle of Jalco and compare this to the lifestyle of Ernie in Mazatlan or Tepic.
Essay Topic 3
Barrio Boy can be considered a Coming of Age Story. Please explain what a Coming of Age story is and how Barrio Boy meets the requirements to be considered a Coming of Age story.
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)