|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What grade is Ernie in when he starts school in Mazatlan?
2. What are the gray towers Ernie sees as he approaches Tepic?
3. What does Ernie call the men who stand outside stores yelling their slogans?
4. What two things are the soldiers looking for when they come to Jalco?
5. Who is the gang leader of the boys of the brewery?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does the forest play to the residents of Jalco?
2. What happens when the soldiers come to Jalco?
3. How does Ernie describe the Devil's Backbone?
4. What differences between Americans and Mexicans does Ernie note in Part Three?
5. What is the family's plan to leave Tepic?
6. What happens to Ernie's tooth in Mazatlan?
7. What happens to the Galarzas as they arrive in the U.S.?
8. What is Ernie's meeting with Juan-Chon like in Part Three?
9. What is Ernie and Henriqueta's short experience in Tucson like?
10. What is the difference in the way older boys and younger boys play in Jalco?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please explain what static and dynamic characters are. Please find one example of each in Barrio Boy and explain how they meet the requirements of either a dynamic or static character.
Essay Topic 2
Please analyze how descriptive language is used in Barrio Boy. What are the various types of descriptive language an author can use and how it affects a story. How did it affect Barrio Boy?
Essay Topic 3
Please explain the role that religion plays in Ernie's life while in Mexico and compare that to the role that religion plays as a whole in Mexico. How are they similar? How are they different?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)