|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters contracts measles in Part Three of the story?
2. Why is Ernie not allowed in the party for the poor children?
3. What is the term used for Mexicans that have grown up in California?
4. What does Josy call the guerrilla soldiers that live in the mountains?
5. Which animals did Ernie's family leave behind in Jalco?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Ernie's gang like in the barrio?
2. What happens to Ernie's tooth in Mazatlan?
3. What is Ernie's experience with music in the barrio?
4. How does Ernie feel about moving to Tepic?
5. What is Ernie and Henriqueta's short experience in Tucson like?
6. What role does the forest play to the residents of Jalco?
7. What does Ernie see as they approach Tepic?
8. Why do Josy and Gustavo leave Jalco in Part One, Section 9?
9. Why is Ernie so angry with his mother as they journey to Tepic?
10. How does Ernie view the train station in Part Two, Section 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Barrio Boy can be considered a Coming of Age Story. Please explain what a Coming of Age story is and how Barrio Boy meets the requirements to be considered a Coming of Age story.
Essay Topic 2
Please describe the gender roles that exist in Jalco. Pull one example from the text that you think is a good example of the gender roles in Jalco and explain why you think this is an accurate portrayal or picture of the gender roles.
Essay Topic 3
Please explain how courtship is part of the culture of Jalco? What are the specific courtship practices of Jalco?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)