|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How high are the sidewalks where Ernie lives in the Mazatlan?
2. Whose belonging have to be brought to the Lopez's home due to the flooding?
3. What is Leandro Valle?
4. What does Ernie refer to his mother's sewing machine as?
5. What is the Plaza de Armas?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the Galarzas as they arrive in the U.S.?
2. Why do Josy and Gustavo leave Jalco in Part One, Section 9?
3. Why is Ernie so angry with his mother as they journey to Tepic?
4. What presence do Americans have in the barrio?
5. What does Ernie see as they approach Tepic?
6. What is Ernie's meeting with Juan-Chon like in Part Three?
7. What happens to Ernie's tooth in Mazatlan?
8. How does Ernie allude to the dangers of living in a city like Tepic?
9. How does Ernie feel about moving to Tepic?
10. What is Ernie's experience with music in the barrio?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please explain the role that religion plays in Ernie's life while in Mexico and compare that to the role that religion plays as a whole in Mexico. How are they similar? How are they different?
Essay Topic 2
Please describe the literary technique of a story within a story. What is the purpose of this technique and how is it used in Barrio Boy?
Essay Topic 3
Ernie takes great time to describe the lifestyle of Jalco. Please describe the lifestyle of Jalco and compare this to the lifestyle of Ernie in Mazatlan or Tepic.
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)