|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Josy plan to meet Gustavo when they arrive in the U.S.?
2. How old is the landlady's helper in Tepic?
3. Why does Henriqueta give Ernie an emulsion called Wampole?
4. What is the largest employer in the area when Ernie is living in Mazatlan?
5. Where does Henriqueta's cousin suggest she save her money?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference in the way older boys and younger boys play in Jalco?
2. What does Ernie see as they approach Tepic?
3. What is Ernie and Henriqueta's short experience in Tucson like?
4. What is Ernie's meeting with Juan-Chon like in Part Three?
5. How does Ernie describe the Devil's Backbone?
6. What two things interrupt the train's travels to Tucson?
7. What role does the forest play to the residents of Jalco?
8. How does Ernie view the train station in Part Two, Section 2?
9. What are the various jobs help by Ernie's family while in Tepic?
10. What happens when the soldiers come to Jalco?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please analyze how descriptive language is used in Barrio Boy. What are the various types of descriptive language an author can use and how it affects a story. How did it affect Barrio Boy?
Essay Topic 2
Please explain the role that religion plays in Ernie's life while in Mexico and compare that to the role that religion plays as a whole in Mexico. How are they similar? How are they different?
Essay Topic 3
Please identify what the following are in a story: Major characters, minor character, antagonist, and protagonist. Please compare and contrast major and minor characters with antagonists and protagonists in Barrio Boy.
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)