|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ernie think that people are worried about safety in Tepic?
2. Where do Ernie and his mother go to get away from the sounds of the city?
3. What part of Ernie's is sore from the long horse ride to Tepic?
4. According to Henriqueta where else did Christopher Columbus discover besides the U.S.?
5. How does Ernie feel about sandwiches the first time he eats one?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does Dosa Florencia play in Ernie's neighborhood?
2. What is Ernie's experience with music in the barrio?
3. What happens to Ernie's tooth in Mazatlan?
4. What two things interrupt the train's travels to Tucson?
5. What are the various jobs help by Ernie's family while in Tepic?
6. How does Ernie feel about moving to Tepic?
7. What is Ernie and Henriqueta's short experience in Tucson like?
8. What role does the forest play to the residents of Jalco?
9. What is Ernie's meeting with Juan-Chon like in Part Three?
10. What happens to the Galarzas as they arrive in the U.S.?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please identify what the following are in a story: Major characters, minor character, antagonist, and protagonist. Please compare and contrast major and minor characters with antagonists and protagonists in Barrio Boy.
Essay Topic 2
Please briefly describe the political situation in Mexico at the time that Ernie is living there. How do the political circumstances effect Ernie's life and his story?
Essay Topic 3
Theme is an essential part of a piece of literature. Please explain the role and purpose of theme in literature. What is the main theme of Barrio Boy? Are there any notable sub-themes?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)