|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Between what ages do young men in Jalco ask for a girl's hand in marriage?
2. Where does Henriqueta hide her money when the soldiers come into town?
3. How old is the landlady's helper in Tepic?
4. What is Leandro Valle?
5. Who shoots at Josy as he leaves his job building stone markers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Ernie's meeting with Juan-Chon like in Part Three?
2. What presence do Americans have in the barrio?
3. How does Ernie feel about moving to Tepic?
4. What is the difference in the way older boys and younger boys play in Jalco?
5. How does Ernie describe his new home in Mazatlan?
6. What role does the forest play to the residents of Jalco?
7. What happens to Ernie's tooth in Mazatlan?
8. What are the various jobs help by Ernie's family while in Tepic?
9. What does Ernie see as they approach Tepic?
10. How does Ernie view the train station in Part Two, Section 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Education is seen throughout the story. What are the various ways Ernie was educated? How does Ernie's education in Mexico differ from his education in the U.S.A.?
Essay Topic 2
Ernie takes great time to describe the lifestyle of Jalco. Please describe the lifestyle of Jalco and compare this to the lifestyle of Ernie in Mazatlan or Tepic.
Essay Topic 3
Please explain the purpose of tone and some ways that tone is communicated in a novel or nonfiction book. What is the tone of Barrio Boy?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)