|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Catarino and Gustavo think Nerun got sick?
2. Which of the following activities do Americans do that Ernie sees as strange?
3. What has caused the creek near Jalco to overflow?
4. What are haciendas?
5. Where do Ernie and his mother go to get away from the sounds of the city?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the various jobs help by Ernie's family while in Tepic?
2. What does Ernie see as they approach Tepic?
3. What are the circumstances surrounding Nerun's death?
4. How does Ernie describe the Devil's Backbone?
5. How does Ernie allude to the dangers of living in a city like Tepic?
6. What is Ernie's experience with music in the barrio?
7. How does Ernie feel about moving to Tepic?
8. How does Ernie view the train station in Part Two, Section 2?
9. What are the residents of Leandro Valle like?
10. What happens to the Galarzas as they arrive in the U.S.?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please explain how courtship is part of the culture of Jalco? What are the specific courtship practices of Jalco?
Essay Topic 2
Please explain the role that religion plays in Ernie's life while in Mexico and compare that to the role that religion plays as a whole in Mexico. How are they similar? How are they different?
Essay Topic 3
Please identify what the following are in a story: Major characters, minor character, antagonist, and protagonist. Please compare and contrast major and minor characters with antagonists and protagonists in Barrio Boy.
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)