|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the only individuals Ernie and Henriqueta socialize with while they stay in Tucson?
2. What does Josy call the guerrilla soldiers that live in the mountains?
3. Between what ages do young men in Jalco ask for a girl's hand in marriage?
4. In Part Four, about how many tenants are there in Ernie's apartment building?
5. How does Ernie refer to his new apartment in Part Four?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ernie describe the Devil's Backbone?
2. What two things interrupt the train's travels to Tucson?
3. Why do Josy and Gustavo leave Jalco in Part One, Section 9?
4. What is the family's plan to leave Tepic?
5. What role does Dosa Florencia play in Ernie's neighborhood?
6. How does Ernie describe his new home in Mazatlan?
7. What are the various jobs help by Ernie's family while in Tepic?
8. Why is Ernie so angry with his mother as they journey to Tepic?
9. What are some effects of the flooding in Jalco?
10. What are the haciendas and Ernie's opinion of them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please describe the literary technique of a story within a story. What is the purpose of this technique and how is it used in Barrio Boy?
Essay Topic 2
Please analyze how descriptive language is used in Barrio Boy. What are the various types of descriptive language an author can use and how it affects a story. How did it affect Barrio Boy?
Essay Topic 3
Please explain what static and dynamic characters are. Please find one example of each in Barrio Boy and explain how they meet the requirements of either a dynamic or static character.
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)