|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is tied between the horns of the steer skull when the boys play bullfights?
2. At what age do the boys in the village begin taking on manual labor?
3. Where do Ernie and his mother go to get away from the sounds of the city?
4. While staying in Acaponeta, where do Ernie and his mother spend Sunday afternoons?
5. What are supporters of Don Porfirio called?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the residents of Leandro Valle like?
2. What is Ernie's meeting with Juan-Chon like in Part Three?
3. What happens when the soldiers come to Jalco?
4. What are some effects of the flooding in Jalco?
5. What two things interrupt the train's travels to Tucson?
6. How does Ernie allude to the dangers of living in a city like Tepic?
7. What role does Dosa Florencia play in Ernie's neighborhood?
8. What is one of the signs of manhood Ernie describes?
9. What role does the forest play to the residents of Jalco?
10. What differences between Americans and Mexicans does Ernie note in Part Three?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Death and sexuality are two subjects Ernie is introduced to while in Mexico. Please discuss the situations where Ernie encounters these two new parts of life. How would you describe his response to these events?
Essay Topic 2
Please define the purpose of a plot in a novel as well as the various parts of the plot. Barrio Boy is a nonfiction book, but it also contains a plot. Please define the specific plot of Barrio Boy and give an example of the various parts of the plot found in Barrio Boy.
Essay Topic 3
Please explain what static and dynamic characters are. Please find one example of each in Barrio Boy and explain how they meet the requirements of either a dynamic or static character.
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)