|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the wooden crosses that Ernie sees on his journey to Tepic mean?
2. How does Ernie feel about sandwiches the first time he eats one?
3. What animals does Catarino bring back home with him from work in Part Two, Section 1?
4. What type of instrument does Ernie buy from a pawnshop?
5. At what age do the boys in the village begin taking on manual labor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the soldiers come to Jalco?
2. What is the difference in the way older boys and younger boys play in Jalco?
3. How does Ernie allude to the dangers of living in a city like Tepic?
4. What is Ernie and Henriqueta's short experience in Tucson like?
5. What are the circumstances surrounding Nerun's death?
6. How does Ernie describe the Devil's Backbone?
7. What role does the forest play to the residents of Jalco?
8. What is Ernie's experience with music in the barrio?
9. What are the haciendas and Ernie's opinion of them?
10. What is Ernie's meeting with Juan-Chon like in Part Three?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please identify what the following are in a story: Major characters, minor character, antagonist, and protagonist. Please compare and contrast major and minor characters with antagonists and protagonists in Barrio Boy.
Essay Topic 2
Theme is an essential part of a piece of literature. Please explain the role and purpose of theme in literature. What is the main theme of Barrio Boy? Are there any notable sub-themes?
Essay Topic 3
While Ernie it living in Mazatlan we get a glimpse of the class differences. Please analyze the various differences, hindrances, or opportunities that the poor and rich faced in Mazatlan. How was Ernie affected by these class differences?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)