|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ernie notice about Juan-Chon when he sees him on the train to the U.S?
2. Whose belonging have to be brought to the Lopez's home due to the flooding?
3. What does Ernie play with the light bulbs in his Tucson hotel room?
4. What is the name of the boy Ernie runs against in the mock election?
5. Which animals did Ernie's family leave behind in Jalco?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some effects of the flooding in Jalco?
2. What is Ernie and Henriqueta's short experience in Tucson like?
3. What is Ernie's experience with music in the barrio?
4. What happens to the Galarzas as they arrive in the U.S.?
5. What is the difference in the way older boys and younger boys play in Jalco?
6. What are the circumstances surrounding Nerun's death?
7. Why do Josy and Gustavo leave Jalco in Part One, Section 9?
8. How does Ernie feel about moving to Tepic?
9. What is one of the signs of manhood Ernie describes?
10. How does Ernie allude to the dangers of living in a city like Tepic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please explain the role that religion plays in Ernie's life while in Mexico and compare that to the role that religion plays as a whole in Mexico. How are they similar? How are they different?
Essay Topic 2
Theme is an essential part of a piece of literature. Please explain the role and purpose of theme in literature. What is the main theme of Barrio Boy? Are there any notable sub-themes?
Essay Topic 3
Please describe the gender roles that exist in Jalco. Pull one example from the text that you think is a good example of the gender roles in Jalco and explain why you think this is an accurate portrayal or picture of the gender roles.
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)