|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gets access to organized education in Tepic?
2. How does Ernie refer to his new apartment in Part Four?
3. What two things are the soldiers looking for when they come to Jalco?
4. According to Part One, Sections 9 and 10, who is campaigning against Don Porfirio for the presidency?
5. What grade is Ernie in when he starts school in Mazatlan?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does Dosa Florencia play in Ernie's neighborhood?
2. What are the circumstances surrounding Nerun's death?
3. What is the difference in the way older boys and younger boys play in Jalco?
4. What is one of the signs of manhood Ernie describes?
5. What are the various jobs help by Ernie's family while in Tepic?
6. What happens to Ernie's tooth in Mazatlan?
7. What are the residents of Leandro Valle like?
8. What differences between Americans and Mexicans does Ernie note in Part Three?
9. What is Ernie's gang like in the barrio?
10. What happens to the Galarzas as they arrive in the U.S.?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Barrio Boy can be considered a Coming of Age Story. Please explain what a Coming of Age story is and how Barrio Boy meets the requirements to be considered a Coming of Age story.
Essay Topic 2
While Ernie it living in Mazatlan we get a glimpse of the class differences. Please analyze the various differences, hindrances, or opportunities that the poor and rich faced in Mazatlan. How was Ernie affected by these class differences?
Essay Topic 3
Please identify what the following are in a story: Major characters, minor character, antagonist, and protagonist. Please compare and contrast major and minor characters with antagonists and protagonists in Barrio Boy.
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)