|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of job does Josy hold in Tepic?
2. Where is Ernie when his mother returns home at night from helping attend to a sick person?
3. What is tied between the horns of the steer skull when the boys play bullfights?
4. Who shoots at Josy as he leaves his job building stone markers?
5. Where do Ernie and his family stay the first night of their travels to Tepic?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the residents of Leandro Valle like?
2. What differences between Americans and Mexicans does Ernie note in Part Three?
3. What is one of the signs of manhood Ernie describes?
4. What happens when the soldiers come to Jalco?
5. What is Ernie's experience with music in the barrio?
6. What role does Dosa Florencia play in Ernie's neighborhood?
7. How does Ernie describe the Devil's Backbone?
8. What role does the forest play to the residents of Jalco?
9. What are the various jobs help by Ernie's family while in Tepic?
10. How does Ernie view the train station in Part Two, Section 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Death and sexuality are two subjects Ernie is introduced to while in Mexico. Please discuss the situations where Ernie encounters these two new parts of life. How would you describe his response to these events?
Essay Topic 2
Please briefly describe the political situation in Mexico at the time that Ernie is living there. How do the political circumstances effect Ernie's life and his story?
Essay Topic 3
Please describe the literary technique of a story within a story. What is the purpose of this technique and how is it used in Barrio Boy?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)