|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What treat does Ernie buy from the vendors when his mother gives him money?
2. How does Ernie feel about sandwiches the first time he eats one?
3. What type of food does the restaurant where Ernie works serve?
4. What type of job does Josy hold in Tepic?
5. What are supporters of Don Porfirio called?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Ernie's tooth in Mazatlan?
2. How does Ernie feel about moving to Tepic?
3. What is Ernie and Henriqueta's short experience in Tucson like?
4. What role does the forest play to the residents of Jalco?
5. What happens to the Galarzas as they arrive in the U.S.?
6. What is Ernie's gang like in the barrio?
7. What are the various jobs help by Ernie's family while in Tepic?
8. What presence do Americans have in the barrio?
9. What is Ernie's meeting with Juan-Chon like in Part Three?
10. How does Ernie describe the Devil's Backbone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Education is seen throughout the story. What are the various ways Ernie was educated? How does Ernie's education in Mexico differ from his education in the U.S.A.?
Essay Topic 2
Death and sexuality are two subjects Ernie is introduced to while in Mexico. Please discuss the situations where Ernie encounters these two new parts of life. How would you describe his response to these events?
Essay Topic 3
Please explain the role that religion plays in Ernie's life while in Mexico and compare that to the role that religion plays as a whole in Mexico. How are they similar? How are they different?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)