|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ernie first learn about the physical differences between boys and girls?
2. Where does Henriqueta's cousin suggest she save her money?
3. When are boys responsible for completing traditionally feminine chores?
4. What is the name of the boy Ernie runs against in the mock election?
5. What is the term used for Mexicans that have grown up in California?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does Dosa Florencia play in Ernie's neighborhood?
2. What differences between Americans and Mexicans does Ernie note in Part Three?
3. What is the family's plan to leave Tepic?
4. What happens when the soldiers come to Jalco?
5. What is Ernie's experience with music in the barrio?
6. How does Ernie feel about moving to Tepic?
7. How does Ernie describe the Devil's Backbone?
8. What are the various jobs help by Ernie's family while in Tepic?
9. What are the circumstances surrounding Nerun's death?
10. What happens to Ernie's tooth in Mazatlan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please describe the literary technique of a story within a story. What is the purpose of this technique and how is it used in Barrio Boy?
Essay Topic 2
Please identify what the following are in a story: Major characters, minor character, antagonist, and protagonist. Please compare and contrast major and minor characters with antagonists and protagonists in Barrio Boy.
Essay Topic 3
Please explain the purpose of tone and some ways that tone is communicated in a novel or nonfiction book. What is the tone of Barrio Boy?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)