|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Don Porfirio's mounted police tell the Lopez family they are to do for the troops coming to the village?
2. Where do Ernie and his mother go to get away from the sounds of the city?
3. Why is Ernie not allowed in the party for the poor children?
4. Why does Henriqueta give Ernie an emulsion called Wampole?
5. Why does Ernie think that people are worried about safety in Tepic?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the family's plan to leave Tepic?
2. What is one of the signs of manhood Ernie describes?
3. What are the residents of Leandro Valle like?
4. What differences between Americans and Mexicans does Ernie note in Part Three?
5. Why is Ernie so angry with his mother as they journey to Tepic?
6. What does Ernie see as they approach Tepic?
7. How does Ernie describe his new home in Mazatlan?
8. How does Ernie feel about moving to Tepic?
9. What role does Dosa Florencia play in Ernie's neighborhood?
10. What is Ernie's experience with music in the barrio?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While Ernie it living in Mazatlan we get a glimpse of the class differences. Please analyze the various differences, hindrances, or opportunities that the poor and rich faced in Mazatlan. How was Ernie affected by these class differences?
Essay Topic 2
Death and sexuality are two subjects Ernie is introduced to while in Mexico. Please discuss the situations where Ernie encounters these two new parts of life. How would you describe his response to these events?
Essay Topic 3
Please analyze how descriptive language is used in Barrio Boy. What are the various types of descriptive language an author can use and how it affects a story. How did it affect Barrio Boy?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)