|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ernie react when he sees the American soldiers helping people off the train?
2. What does Ernie call the men who stand outside stores yelling their slogans?
3. How does Ernie first learn about the physical differences between boys and girls?
4. How old is the landlady's helper in Tepic?
5. While staying in Acaponeta, where do Ernie and his mother spend Sunday afternoons?
Short Essay Questions
1. What differences between Americans and Mexicans does Ernie note in Part Three?
2. Why do Josy and Gustavo leave Jalco in Part One, Section 9?
3. How does Ernie describe his new home in Mazatlan?
4. What role does Dosa Florencia play in Ernie's neighborhood?
5. How does Ernie feel about moving to Tepic?
6. What are the circumstances surrounding Nerun's death?
7. What is one of the signs of manhood Ernie describes?
8. What happens to Ernie's tooth in Mazatlan?
9. What does Ernie see as they approach Tepic?
10. How does Ernie allude to the dangers of living in a city like Tepic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please explain the role that religion plays in Ernie's life while in Mexico and compare that to the role that religion plays as a whole in Mexico. How are they similar? How are they different?
Essay Topic 2
While Ernie it living in Mazatlan we get a glimpse of the class differences. Please analyze the various differences, hindrances, or opportunities that the poor and rich faced in Mazatlan. How was Ernie affected by these class differences?
Essay Topic 3
Please define the purpose of a plot in a novel as well as the various parts of the plot. Barrio Boy is a nonfiction book, but it also contains a plot. Please define the specific plot of Barrio Boy and give an example of the various parts of the plot found in Barrio Boy.
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)