|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When are boys responsible for completing traditionally feminine chores?
2. What is the largest employer in the area when Ernie is living in Mazatlan?
3. Why does Ernie think that people are worried about safety in Tepic?
4. Who is the gang leader of the boys of the brewery?
5. What is the name of the boy Ernie runs against in the mock election?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the circumstances surrounding Nerun's death?
2. Why is Ernie so angry with his mother as they journey to Tepic?
3. What are the haciendas and Ernie's opinion of them?
4. What happens when the soldiers come to Jalco?
5. What is Ernie's meeting with Juan-Chon like in Part Three?
6. What are the various jobs help by Ernie's family while in Tepic?
7. Why do Josy and Gustavo leave Jalco in Part One, Section 9?
8. What are the residents of Leandro Valle like?
9. How does Ernie view the train station in Part Two, Section 2?
10. What is Ernie's gang like in the barrio?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please identify what the following are in a story: Major characters, minor character, antagonist, and protagonist. Please compare and contrast major and minor characters with antagonists and protagonists in Barrio Boy.
Essay Topic 2
Please briefly describe the political situation in Mexico at the time that Ernie is living there. How do the political circumstances effect Ernie's life and his story?
Essay Topic 3
Please explain how courtship is part of the culture of Jalco? What are the specific courtship practices of Jalco?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)