|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ernie think that people are worried about safety in Tepic?
2. What is the Plaza de Armas?
3. Where do Ernie and Henriqueta finally arrive at the end of Part Three?
4. What are supporters of Don Porfirio called?
5. Where does Henriqueta hide her money when the soldiers come into town?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the circumstances surrounding Nerun's death?
2. What are some effects of the flooding in Jalco?
3. What is Ernie and Henriqueta's short experience in Tucson like?
4. What is the family's plan to leave Tepic?
5. What is Ernie's gang like in the barrio?
6. What is Ernie's experience with music in the barrio?
7. How does Ernie view the train station in Part Two, Section 2?
8. What does Ernie see as they approach Tepic?
9. What role does the forest play to the residents of Jalco?
10. What are the haciendas and Ernie's opinion of them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please briefly describe the political situation in Mexico at the time that Ernie is living there. How do the political circumstances effect Ernie's life and his story?
Essay Topic 2
Please describe the gender roles that exist in Jalco. Pull one example from the text that you think is a good example of the gender roles in Jalco and explain why you think this is an accurate portrayal or picture of the gender roles.
Essay Topic 3
Please explain the purpose of tone and some ways that tone is communicated in a novel or nonfiction book. What is the tone of Barrio Boy?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)