|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ernie feel about sandwiches the first time he eats one?
2. Where does Henriqueta's cousin suggest she save her money?
3. Ernie comments that the world is made of two types of men, those on horseback and what other type of men?
4. What is the largest employer in the area when Ernie is living in Mazatlan?
5. In Part Four, about how many tenants are there in Ernie's apartment building?
Short Essay Questions
1. What two things interrupt the train's travels to Tucson?
2. What is Ernie's meeting with Juan-Chon like in Part Three?
3. What is the difference in the way older boys and younger boys play in Jalco?
4. What are the haciendas and Ernie's opinion of them?
5. What is Ernie's experience with music in the barrio?
6. What are the residents of Leandro Valle like?
7. How does Ernie view the train station in Part Two, Section 2?
8. What happens to the Galarzas as they arrive in the U.S.?
9. How does Ernie feel about moving to Tepic?
10. What role does Dosa Florencia play in Ernie's neighborhood?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please briefly describe the political situation in Mexico at the time that Ernie is living there. How do the political circumstances effect Ernie's life and his story?
Essay Topic 2
Relationships are important elements of this story. Please choose one of Ernie's relationships and analyze it. Does this relationship change? How does it affect him as person?
Essay Topic 3
Please describe the purpose of characterization in literature and how characterization is used in Barrio Boy. You may choose a specific instance or several small instances in the story where characterization is found in the story. Do you think the author is successful in his attempt at characterization for Ernie?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)