|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ernie feel about sandwiches the first time he eats one?
2. What is the Plaza de Armas?
3. What does Ernie refer to his mother's sewing machine as?
4. What does Josy call the guerrilla soldiers that live in the mountains?
5. What type of food does the restaurant where Ernie works serve?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some effects of the flooding in Jalco?
2. What is Ernie and Henriqueta's short experience in Tucson like?
3. What are the various jobs help by Ernie's family while in Tepic?
4. What two things interrupt the train's travels to Tucson?
5. What role does the forest play to the residents of Jalco?
6. Why is Ernie so angry with his mother as they journey to Tepic?
7. What is Ernie's gang like in the barrio?
8. What is the family's plan to leave Tepic?
9. What differences between Americans and Mexicans does Ernie note in Part Three?
10. How does Ernie view the train station in Part Two, Section 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please describe the gender roles that exist in Jalco. Pull one example from the text that you think is a good example of the gender roles in Jalco and explain why you think this is an accurate portrayal or picture of the gender roles.
Essay Topic 2
Please analyze how descriptive language is used in Barrio Boy. What are the various types of descriptive language an author can use and how it affects a story. How did it affect Barrio Boy?
Essay Topic 3
Ernie takes great time to describe the lifestyle of Jalco. Please describe the lifestyle of Jalco and compare this to the lifestyle of Ernie in Mazatlan or Tepic.
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)