|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What must a boy do before he can begin the courtship process?
2. How does Henriqueta contribute to the family income while in Mazatlan?
3. Which of the following characters contracts measles in Part Three of the story?
4. Who are the only individuals Ernie and Henriqueta socialize with while they stay in Tucson?
5. Why do Josy and Gustavo leave Jalco in Part One, sections 9 and 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some effects of the flooding in Jalco?
2. Why do Josy and Gustavo leave Jalco in Part One, Section 9?
3. What are the circumstances surrounding Nerun's death?
4. Why is Ernie so angry with his mother as they journey to Tepic?
5. What happens to Ernie's tooth in Mazatlan?
6. What role does Dosa Florencia play in Ernie's neighborhood?
7. What happens when the soldiers come to Jalco?
8. What are the various jobs help by Ernie's family while in Tepic?
9. What is Ernie's meeting with Juan-Chon like in Part Three?
10. What are the haciendas and Ernie's opinion of them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ernie takes great time to describe the lifestyle of Jalco. Please describe the lifestyle of Jalco and compare this to the lifestyle of Ernie in Mazatlan or Tepic.
Essay Topic 2
Please explain the role that religion plays in Ernie's life while in Mexico and compare that to the role that religion plays as a whole in Mexico. How are they similar? How are they different?
Essay Topic 3
Please briefly describe the political situation in Mexico at the time that Ernie is living there. How do the political circumstances effect Ernie's life and his story?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)