|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the Old Gentleman signal to Ernie that he should come over and help with his tie?
2. In Part Four, about how many tenants are there in Ernie's apartment building?
3. What is the name of the most dangerous part of the family's journey to Tepic?
4. Who comes through Jalco with news of Gustavo?
5. What two things are the soldiers looking for when they come to Jalco?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please describe the purpose of characterization in literature and how characterization is used in Barrio Boy. You may choose a specific instance or several small instances in the story where characterization is found in the story. Do you think the author is successful in his attempt at characterization for Ernie?
Essay Topic 2
Death and sexuality are two subjects Ernie is introduced to while in Mexico. Please discuss the situations where Ernie encounters these two new parts of life. How would you describe his response to these events?
Essay Topic 3
Please describe the literary technique of a story within a story. What is the purpose of this technique and how is it used in Barrio Boy?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)