|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of stories does the narrator say he tells his family?
2. What kind of animal is Relbmpago?
3. What do the residents of Jalcocotbn do with their trash?
4. What reassurance does Ernie's mother give him about the rooster.
5. Where does Dosa Eduvijes sit when she is ready to tell her tales?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the haciendas and Ernie's opinion of them?
2. Why does the author state that he initially was compelled to write this story?
3. Describe Ernie's cottage.
4. What are some effects of the flooding in Jalco?
5. How does Ernie describe the Devil's Backbone?
6. What does Ernie see as they approach Tepic?
7. What is the Lopez family's opinion of and experience with the priest?
8. What is Ernie and Henriqueta's short experience in Tucson like?
9. How did Jalco come to exists?
10. What happens to Ernie's tooth in Mazatlan?
Essay Topic 1
Please explain the role that religion plays in Ernie's life while in Mexico and compare that to the role that religion plays as a whole in Mexico. How are they similar? How are they different?
Essay Topic 2
Education is seen throughout the story. What are the various ways Ernie was educated? How does Ernie's education in Mexico differ from his education in the U.S.A.?
Essay Topic 3
Please briefly describe the political situation in Mexico at the time that Ernie is living there. How do the political circumstances effect Ernie's life and his story?
This section contains 1,403 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)