Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the residents of Jalcocotbn do with their trash?
2. What type of tree is located at the edge of the pond in Jalcocotbn?
3. In part one, section 4 what trait do we see associated with femininity?
4. What nation did General Porfirio Diaz fight in war, leading to his becoming president?
5. Who makes ropes and crates in the village?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ernie describe his new home in Mazatlan?
2. How is a child of 6 or older raised in Jalco?
3. What is the Lopez family's opinion of and experience with the priest?
4. What are the circumstances surrounding Nerun's death?
5. What are the government and religious institutions like in Jalco?
6. How does Ernie allude to the dangers of living in a city like Tepic?
7. Why does the author state that he initially was compelled to write this story?
8. What is pinole and what is it for?
9. What are some effects of the flooding in Jalco?
10. What does the author's language and description of Jalco seem to emphasize?
Education is seen throughout the story. What are the various ways Ernie was educated? How does Ernie's education in Mexico differ from his education in the U.S.A.?
Theme is an essential part of a piece of literature. Please explain the role and purpose of theme in literature. What is the main theme of Barrio Boy? Are there any notable sub-themes?
While Ernie it living in Mazatlan we get a glimpse of the class differences. Please analyze the various differences, hindrances, or opportunities that the poor and rich faced in Mazatlan. How was Ernie affected by these class differences?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)