|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What profession do Ernie and his cousins vow never to become in Part One, Section 7?
2. What is Don Chencho's profession?
3. What is the importance of the city of Jalcocotbn to the author?
4. Why did the original settlers of Jalcocotbn choose that location to settle?
5. According to the author in Section 1, what is the historical importance of the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the layout of the village of Jalco?
2. Describe Don Cleofas.
3. How does Ernie describe his friend's funeral?
4. What is the connection between the words Gallo and chicken and men and women?
5. What is the arroyo and what is it used for?
6. From Ernie's description of Jalco, what does the daily lifestyle seem like in the village?
7. What are the government and religious institutions like in Jalco?
8. How does Ernie describe the various animals in Part One, Section 3?
9. What are the historical and psychological reasons for the author writing this book?
10. What is the Lopez family's opinion of and experience with the priest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please explain the purpose of tone and some ways that tone is communicated in a novel or nonfiction book. What is the tone of Barrio Boy?
Essay Topic 2
Relationships are important elements of this story. Please choose one of Ernie's relationships and analyze it. Does this relationship change? How does it affect him as person?
Essay Topic 3
Please describe the literary technique of a story within a story. What is the purpose of this technique and how is it used in Barrio Boy?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)