|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the history of Jalco kept?
2. Who is the beheaded hero that the men in the village sometimes sing about?
3. What is Cleofas' age?
4. The use of what words in Part One, Section 4 can be seen as adding to the sense of division between men and women?
5. Why did the original settlers of Jalcocotbn choose that location to settle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is pinole and what is it for?
2. How does the author describe his relatives in Jalco?
3. What does Dosa Eduvijes do and why?
4. What is the arroyo and what is it used for?
5. How does Ernie describe the various animals in Part One, Section 3?
6. How does Ernie describe his friend's funeral?
7. What is the connection between the words Gallo and chicken and men and women?
8. How does Catarino's opinion about Coronel's fight affect Ernie?
9. What does Coronel's protection of the hens reinforce for Ernie?
10. What is the Lopez family's opinion of and experience with the priest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ernie takes great time to describe the lifestyle of Jalco. Please describe the lifestyle of Jalco and compare this to the lifestyle of Ernie in Mazatlan or Tepic.
Essay Topic 2
Theme is an essential part of a piece of literature. Please explain the role and purpose of theme in literature. What is the main theme of Barrio Boy? Are there any notable sub-themes?
Essay Topic 3
Please briefly describe the political situation in Mexico at the time that Ernie is living there. How do the political circumstances effect Ernie's life and his story?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)