|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a zopilote?
2. How does Ernie receive his education, for the most part?
3. What is it that provides an escape route for Jalcocotbn should an attack occur?
4. What type of fruit is cooked overnight in a hole in the ground?
5. Who is the beheaded hero that the men in the village sometimes sing about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the various jobs help by Ernie's family while in Tepic?
2. What are the circumstances surrounding Nerun's death?
3. How does Ernie describe his new home in Mazatlan?
4. How does Ernie describe the Devil's Backbone?
5. Why is Ernie so angry with his mother as they journey to Tepic?
6. How did Jalco come to exists?
7. What affect does the flu epidemic have on Ernie's family?
8. What are the government and religious institutions like in Jalco?
9. What are the residents of Leandro Valle like?
10. What presence do Americans have in the barrio?
Essay Topic 1
Please describe the literary technique of a story within a story. What is the purpose of this technique and how is it used in Barrio Boy?
Essay Topic 2
Relationships are important elements of this story. Please choose one of Ernie's relationships and analyze it. Does this relationship change? How does it affect him as person?
Essay Topic 3
Barrio Boy can be considered a Coming of Age Story. Please explain what a Coming of Age story is and how Barrio Boy meets the requirements to be considered a Coming of Age story.
This section contains 1,299 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)