|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Coronel attack a buzzard?
2. What animal is shared by the entire village?
3. What foods does Ernie learn to eat like a man?
4. When do the men in Jalco sing?
5. Which of the following can offer the village people protection from the devil?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author's language and description of Jalco seem to emphasize?
2. Describe Ernie's cottage.
3. Why does the author state that he initially was compelled to write this story?
4. How does the author describe his relatives in Jalco?
5. What is the arroyo and what is it used for?
6. How does Catarino's opinion about Coronel's fight affect Ernie?
7. Who are Ernie's two uncles and how does he describe them?
8. What does Coronel's protection of the hens reinforce for Ernie?
9. From Ernie's description of Jalco, what does the daily lifestyle seem like in the village?
10. What is the layout of the village of Jalco?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Barrio Boy can be considered a Coming of Age Story. Please explain what a Coming of Age story is and how Barrio Boy meets the requirements to be considered a Coming of Age story.
Essay Topic 2
Please identify what the following are in a story: Major characters, minor character, antagonist, and protagonist. Please compare and contrast major and minor characters with antagonists and protagonists in Barrio Boy.
Essay Topic 3
Please describe the literary technique of a story within a story. What is the purpose of this technique and how is it used in Barrio Boy?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)