|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What city is located about 40 kilometers away from Jalcocotbn?
2. What does the Weeping Woman's presence foreshadow?
3. In part one, section 4 what trait do we see associated with femininity?
4. When is pinole used?
5. Who is the beheaded hero that the men in the village sometimes sing about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Coronel's protection of the hens reinforce for Ernie?
2. What is the educational system like in Jalco?
3. What is music in Jalco like and used for?
4. Describe Ernie's cottage.
5. What is pinole and what is it for?
6. How does the author describe his relatives in Jalco?
7. What is the Lopez family's opinion of and experience with the priest?
8. How does Ernie feel about the arrieros?
9. What does Dosa Eduvijes do and why?
10. How does Catarino's opinion about Coronel's fight affect Ernie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please explain what narrative mode is and the four main types of narrative mode we touched on. Which narrative mode is used in Barrio Boy and do you think that this narrative mode was the best for the story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
While Ernie it living in Mazatlan we get a glimpse of the class differences. Please analyze the various differences, hindrances, or opportunities that the poor and rich faced in Mazatlan. How was Ernie affected by these class differences?
Essay Topic 3
Please describe the purpose of characterization in literature and how characterization is used in Barrio Boy. You may choose a specific instance or several small instances in the story where characterization is found in the story. Do you think the author is successful in his attempt at characterization for Ernie?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)