|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author, who originally settled this mountain village?
2. What basic skills do the adults of Jalcocotbn value?
3. Besides drinking water, what does the stream deliver to the village?
4. What type of fruit is cooked overnight in a hole in the ground?
5. What do Ernie and his mother bring to the mother of a dead boy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ernie see as they approach Tepic?
2. What is the Lopez family's opinion of and experience with the priest?
3. What are some effects of the flooding in Jalco?
4. What does Dosa Eduvijes do and why?
5. What is the educational system like in Jalco?
6. What is the connection between the words Gallo and chicken and men and women?
7. What happens to Ernie's tooth in Mazatlan?
8. How does Catarino's opinion about Coronel's fight affect Ernie?
9. How does Ernie view the train station in Part Two, Section 2?
10. How is a child of 6 or older raised in Jalco?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Barrio Boy can be considered a Coming of Age Story. Please explain what a Coming of Age story is and how Barrio Boy meets the requirements to be considered a Coming of Age story.
Essay Topic 2
Please define the purpose of a plot in a novel as well as the various parts of the plot. Barrio Boy is a nonfiction book, but it also contains a plot. Please define the specific plot of Barrio Boy and give an example of the various parts of the plot found in Barrio Boy.
Essay Topic 3
Please describe the purpose of characterization in literature and how characterization is used in Barrio Boy. You may choose a specific instance or several small instances in the story where characterization is found in the story. Do you think the author is successful in his attempt at characterization for Ernie?
This section contains 1,361 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)