|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Ernie's mother keep her knick-knacks and heirlooms?
2. What is the name of the time when Indian tribes had their own system of authority?
3. What is the name of the family rooster?
4. Which of the following can offer the village people protection from the devil?
5. How much older than Ernie is Josy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the arroyo and what is it used for?
2. Why does the author state that he initially was compelled to write this story?
3. What is the Lopez family's opinion of and experience with the priest?
4. How does Ernie feel about the arrieros?
5. How did Jalco come to exists?
6. What is music in Jalco like and used for?
7. From Ernie's description of Jalco, what does the daily lifestyle seem like in the village?
8. How does Ernie describe his friend's funeral?
9. What is pinole and what is it for?
10. What is the connection between the words Gallo and chicken and men and women?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please describe the purpose of characterization in literature and how characterization is used in Barrio Boy. You may choose a specific instance or several small instances in the story where characterization is found in the story. Do you think the author is successful in his attempt at characterization for Ernie?
Essay Topic 2
Please identify what conflict in a literature is and define the five types of conflict we touched on in class. What is the primary type of conflict found in Barrio Boy?
Essay Topic 3
Please describe the literary technique of a story within a story. What is the purpose of this technique and how is it used in Barrio Boy?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)