|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When do the men in Jalco sing?
2. What nation did General Porfirio Diaz fight in war, leading to his becoming president?
3. What reassurance does Ernie's mother give him about the rooster.
4. What basic skills do the adults of Jalcocotbn value?
5. What material were the cottages in the village made of?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Jalcocotbn described in Part One, Section 1?
2. How does Ernie feel about the arrieros?
3. How does Jalco keep its history alive?
4. What are the government and religious institutions like in Jalco?
5. How does Ernie describe his friend's funeral?
6. What is the educational system like in Jalco?
7. How does Ernie react when he sees Coronel mating with the hen?
8. What does the author's language and description of Jalco seem to emphasize?
9. What does Dosa Eduvijes do and why?
10. What is the arroyo and what is it used for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please describe the purpose of characterization in literature and how characterization is used in Barrio Boy. You may choose a specific instance or several small instances in the story where characterization is found in the story. Do you think the author is successful in his attempt at characterization for Ernie?
Essay Topic 2
Education is seen throughout the story. What are the various ways Ernie was educated? How does Ernie's education in Mexico differ from his education in the U.S.A.?
Essay Topic 3
Please identify what conflict in a literature is and define the five types of conflict we touched on in class. What is the primary type of conflict found in Barrio Boy?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)