|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What city is located about 40 kilometers away from Jalcocotbn?
2. Where was Dosa Henriqueta married?
3. Which of the following can offer the village people protection from the devil?
4. What type of book is the one printed book Dona Henriqueta owns?
5. How does Ernie learn to roast coffee beans?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Catarino's opinion about Coronel's fight affect Ernie?
2. Who are Ernie's two uncles and how does he describe them?
3. How does Jalco keep its history alive?
4. What does Coronel's protection of the hens reinforce for Ernie?
5. What does Dosa Eduvijes do and why?
6. What is the educational system like in Jalco?
7. What are the historical and psychological reasons for the author writing this book?
8. How is Jalcocotbn described in Part One, Section 1?
9. What is the arroyo and what is it used for?
10. How is a child of 6 or older raised in Jalco?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Relationships are important elements of this story. Please choose one of Ernie's relationships and analyze it. Does this relationship change? How does it affect him as person?
Essay Topic 2
Please describe the gender roles that exist in Jalco. Pull one example from the text that you think is a good example of the gender roles in Jalco and explain why you think this is an accurate portrayal or picture of the gender roles.
Essay Topic 3
Theme is an essential part of a piece of literature. Please explain the role and purpose of theme in literature. What is the main theme of Barrio Boy? Are there any notable sub-themes?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)