|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two items was Ernie's mother allowed to keep after the divorce?
2. How does Ernie respond when he sees the rooster trying to mate with a hen?
3. According to the author, who originally settled this mountain village?
4. Why does the priest expel Josy?
5. How do Ernie and his cousins view the rooster?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is music in Jalco like and used for?
2. How does Ernie describe his friend's funeral?
3. Describe Don Cleofas.
4. How did Jalco come to exists?
5. What is the connection between the words Gallo and chicken and men and women?
6. How is Jalcocotbn described in Part One, Section 1?
7. What does the author's language and description of Jalco seem to emphasize?
8. What is the Lopez family's opinion of and experience with the priest?
9. How does Jalco keep its history alive?
10. How does Ernie react when he sees Coronel mating with the hen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please explain the purpose of tone and some ways that tone is communicated in a novel or nonfiction book. What is the tone of Barrio Boy?
Essay Topic 2
Ernie takes great time to describe the lifestyle of Jalco. Please describe the lifestyle of Jalco and compare this to the lifestyle of Ernie in Mazatlan or Tepic.
Essay Topic 3
Please explain the role that religion plays in Ernie's life while in Mexico and compare that to the role that religion plays as a whole in Mexico. How are they similar? How are they different?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)