|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In part one, section 4 what trait do we see associated with femininity?
2. What type of language does Gustavo teach Ernie in section 2?
3. Besides "rooster" what does the Spanish word gallo mean?
4. What basic skills do the adults of Jalcocotbn value?
5. What nation did General Porfirio Diaz fight in war, leading to his becoming president?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the residents of Leandro Valle like?
2. What are the circumstances surrounding Nerun's death?
3. How does Ernie feel about moving to Tepic?
4. What is Ernie's meeting with Juan-Chon like in Part Three?
5. What is Ernie's gang like in the barrio?
6. What is Josy and Ernie's relationship like after they move back to the barrio in Part 5?
7. What are the various jobs help by Ernie's family while in Tepic?
8. How does Ernie react when he sees Coronel mating with the hen?
9. What does Dosa Eduvijes do and why?
10. How does Ernie describe the Devil's Backbone?
Essay Topic 1
Death and sexuality are two subjects Ernie is introduced to while in Mexico. Please discuss the situations where Ernie encounters these two new parts of life. How would you describe his response to these events?
Essay Topic 2
Please identify what conflict in a literature is and define the five types of conflict we touched on in class. What is the primary type of conflict found in Barrio Boy?
Essay Topic 3
Theme is an essential part of a piece of literature. Please explain the role and purpose of theme in literature. What is the main theme of Barrio Boy? Are there any notable sub-themes?
This section contains 1,300 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)