|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What basic skills do the adults of Jalcocotbn value?
2. Where are weddings and baptisms held?
3. What foods does Ernie learn to eat like a man?
4. What is it that provides an escape route for Jalcocotbn should an attack occur?
5. How do Ernie and his cousins view the rooster?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the connection between the words Gallo and chicken and men and women?
2. What is music in Jalco like and used for?
3. What is the arroyo and what is it used for?
4. What is the layout of the village of Jalco?
5. How does Ernie describe the various animals in Part One, Section 3?
6. How does Ernie react when he sees Coronel mating with the hen?
7. How does Catarino's opinion about Coronel's fight affect Ernie?
8. How does the author describe his relatives in Jalco?
9. How did Jalco come to exists?
10. From Ernie's description of Jalco, what does the daily lifestyle seem like in the village?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please explain how courtship is part of the culture of Jalco? What are the specific courtship practices of Jalco?
Essay Topic 2
Please describe the literary technique of a story within a story. What is the purpose of this technique and how is it used in Barrio Boy?
Essay Topic 3
Please describe the gender roles that exist in Jalco. Pull one example from the text that you think is a good example of the gender roles in Jalco and explain why you think this is an accurate portrayal or picture of the gender roles.
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)