|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What instrument does Uncle Josy play?
2. Where are weddings and baptisms held?
3. What is it that provides an escape route for Jalcocotbn should an attack occur?
4. Who is overheard saying that "nothing ever happens" in Jalcocotbn?
5. What reassurance does Ernie's mother give him about the rooster.
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Jalcocotbn described in Part One, Section 1?
2. How does Ernie react when he sees Coronel mating with the hen?
3. How does Jalco keep its history alive?
4. Describe Don Cleofas.
5. What is pinole and what is it for?
6. How does Ernie feel about the arrieros?
7. How is a child of 6 or older raised in Jalco?
8. What does Dosa Eduvijes do and why?
9. What is the educational system like in Jalco?
10. Who are Ernie's two uncles and how does he describe them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Death and sexuality are two subjects Ernie is introduced to while in Mexico. Please discuss the situations where Ernie encounters these two new parts of life. How would you describe his response to these events?
Essay Topic 2
Relationships are important elements of this story. Please choose one of Ernie's relationships and analyze it. Does this relationship change? How does it affect him as person?
Essay Topic 3
Please describe the gender roles that exist in Jalco. Pull one example from the text that you think is a good example of the gender roles in Jalco and explain why you think this is an accurate portrayal or picture of the gender roles.
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)