|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Ernie and his mother bring to the mother of a dead boy?
2. What is Don Chencho's profession?
3. What is the name of the time when Indian tribes had their own system of authority?
4. Where does Dosa Eduvijes sit when she is ready to tell her tales?
5. According to the author in Section 1, what is the historical importance of the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the layout of the village of Jalco?
2. How does Ernie describe the various animals in Part One, Section 3?
3. How does Ernie describe his friend's funeral?
4. How is a child of 6 or older raised in Jalco?
5. How does Ernie react when he sees Coronel mating with the hen?
6. What does Dosa Eduvijes do and why?
7. How is Jalcocotbn described in Part One, Section 1?
8. Describe Ernie's cottage.
9. What are the government and religious institutions like in Jalco?
10. Why does the author state that he initially was compelled to write this story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please explain the purpose of tone and some ways that tone is communicated in a novel or nonfiction book. What is the tone of Barrio Boy?
Essay Topic 2
Please explain the role that religion plays in Ernie's life while in Mexico and compare that to the role that religion plays as a whole in Mexico. How are they similar? How are they different?
Essay Topic 3
Please briefly describe the political situation in Mexico at the time that Ernie is living there. How do the political circumstances effect Ernie's life and his story?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)