|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the hanging platform called that Ernie slept on as a child?
2. What is the central theme of Cleofas' version of Jalco's history?
3. What basic skills do the adults of Jalcocotbn value?
4. Where does Dosa Eduvijes sit when she is ready to tell her tales?
5. Where did Ernie's mother keep her knick-knacks and heirlooms?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Catarino's opinion about Coronel's fight affect Ernie?
2. What does Ernie's education in Part One, Section 5 mainly consist of?
3. How is Jalcocotbn described in Part One, Section 1?
4. What is music in Jalco like and used for?
5. How does Ernie react when he sees Coronel mating with the hen?
6. How did Jalco come to exists?
7. How does Ernie describe his friend's funeral?
8. Why does the author state that he initially was compelled to write this story?
9. What does Dosa Eduvijes do and why?
10. How does the author describe his relatives in Jalco?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please describe the gender roles that exist in Jalco. Pull one example from the text that you think is a good example of the gender roles in Jalco and explain why you think this is an accurate portrayal or picture of the gender roles.
Essay Topic 2
Please explain the role that religion plays in Ernie's life while in Mexico and compare that to the role that religion plays as a whole in Mexico. How are they similar? How are they different?
Essay Topic 3
Please identify what conflict in a literature is and define the five types of conflict we touched on in class. What is the primary type of conflict found in Barrio Boy?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)