|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ernie call his Aunt Ester?
2. What is the name of the family rooster?
3. What do the residents of Jalcocotbn do with their trash?
4. What is the central theme of Cleofas' version of Jalco's history?
5. Who collects unbaptized children and carries them off?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Jalco come to exists?
2. How does Catarino's opinion about Coronel's fight affect Ernie?
3. Who are Ernie's two uncles and how does he describe them?
4. What are the government and religious institutions like in Jalco?
5. What does Dosa Eduvijes do and why?
6. From Ernie's description of Jalco, what does the daily lifestyle seem like in the village?
7. What does the author's language and description of Jalco seem to emphasize?
8. Describe Don Cleofas.
9. How is Jalcocotbn described in Part One, Section 1?
10. How is a child of 6 or older raised in Jalco?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Relationships are important elements of this story. Please choose one of Ernie's relationships and analyze it. Does this relationship change? How does it affect him as person?
Essay Topic 2
Please define the purpose of a plot in a novel as well as the various parts of the plot. Barrio Boy is a nonfiction book, but it also contains a plot. Please define the specific plot of Barrio Boy and give an example of the various parts of the plot found in Barrio Boy.
Essay Topic 3
Please explain the purpose of tone and some ways that tone is communicated in a novel or nonfiction book. What is the tone of Barrio Boy?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)