Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the residents of Jalcocotbn do with their trash?
2. What type of tree is located at the edge of the pond in Jalcocotbn?
3. In part one, section 4 what trait do we see associated with femininity?
4. What nation did General Porfirio Diaz fight in war, leading to his becoming president?
5. Who makes ropes and crates in the village?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ernie describe his new home in Mazatlan?
2. How is a child of 6 or older raised in Jalco?
3. What is the Lopez family's opinion of and experience with the priest?
4. What are the circumstances surrounding Nerun's death?
5. What are the government and religious institutions like in Jalco?
6. How does Ernie allude to the dangers of living in a city like Tepic?
7. Why does the author state that he initially was compelled to write this story?
8. What is pinole and what is it for?
9. What are some effects of the flooding in Jalco?
10. What does the author's language and description of Jalco seem to emphasize?
Essay Topic 1
Barrio Boy can be considered a Coming of Age Story. Please explain what a Coming of Age story is and how Barrio Boy meets the requirements to be considered a Coming of Age story.
Essay Topic 2
Ernie takes great time to describe the lifestyle of Jalco. Please describe the lifestyle of Jalco and compare this to the lifestyle of Ernie in Mazatlan or Tepic.
Essay Topic 3
Relationships are important elements of this story. Please choose one of Ernie's relationships and analyze it. Does this relationship change? How does it affect him as person?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)