|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author in Section 1, what is the psychological importance of the story?
2. Besides "rooster" what does the Spanish word gallo mean?
3. Where was Dosa Henriqueta married?
4. The use of what words in Part One, Section 4 can be seen as adding to the sense of division between men and women?
5. What is the name of the family rooster?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Ernie's cottage.
2. How does Ernie react when he sees Coronel mating with the hen?
3. What does Ernie's education in Part One, Section 5 mainly consist of?
4. How does Jalco keep its history alive?
5. How does Ernie feel about the arrieros?
6. How is Jalcocotbn described in Part One, Section 1?
7. What is the connection between the words Gallo and chicken and men and women?
8. What is pinole and what is it for?
9. How is a child of 6 or older raised in Jalco?
10. Who are Ernie's two uncles and how does he describe them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please identify what conflict in a literature is and define the five types of conflict we touched on in class. What is the primary type of conflict found in Barrio Boy?
Essay Topic 2
Please identify what the following are in a story: Major characters, minor character, antagonist, and protagonist. Please compare and contrast major and minor characters with antagonists and protagonists in Barrio Boy.
Essay Topic 3
Please explain the purpose of tone and some ways that tone is communicated in a novel or nonfiction book. What is the tone of Barrio Boy?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)