|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ernie respond when he sees the rooster trying to mate with a hen?
2. What does Cleofas consider as a basic human right?
3. About how many cottages does Ernie estimate are in his village?
4. When is pinole used?
5. What does the Lopez family seem to think the priests are more preoccupied with than saving souls?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ernie react when he sees Coronel mating with the hen?
2. What does the author's language and description of Jalco seem to emphasize?
3. How does Ernie describe his friend's funeral?
4. How does Jalco keep its history alive?
5. What is the connection between the words Gallo and chicken and men and women?
6. What is pinole and what is it for?
7. What is the Lopez family's opinion of and experience with the priest?
8. From Ernie's description of Jalco, what does the daily lifestyle seem like in the village?
9. How does Ernie describe the various animals in Part One, Section 3?
10. Who are Ernie's two uncles and how does he describe them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Relationships are important elements of this story. Please choose one of Ernie's relationships and analyze it. Does this relationship change? How does it affect him as person?
Essay Topic 2
Please identify what the following are in a story: Major characters, minor character, antagonist, and protagonist. Please compare and contrast major and minor characters with antagonists and protagonists in Barrio Boy.
Essay Topic 3
Please describe the literary technique of a story within a story. What is the purpose of this technique and how is it used in Barrio Boy?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)