Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the residents of Jalcocotbn do with their trash?
2. What type of tree is located at the edge of the pond in Jalcocotbn?
3. In part one, section 4 what trait do we see associated with femininity?
4. What nation did General Porfirio Diaz fight in war, leading to his becoming president?
5. Who makes ropes and crates in the village?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ernie describe his new home in Mazatlan?
2. How is a child of 6 or older raised in Jalco?
3. What is the Lopez family's opinion of and experience with the priest?
4. What are the circumstances surrounding Nerun's death?
5. What are the government and religious institutions like in Jalco?
6. How does Ernie allude to the dangers of living in a city like Tepic?
7. Why does the author state that he initially was compelled to write this story?
8. What is pinole and what is it for?
9. What are some effects of the flooding in Jalco?
10. What does the author's language and description of Jalco seem to emphasize?
Essay Topic 1
Please explain the role that religion plays in Ernie's life while in Mexico and compare that to the role that religion plays as a whole in Mexico. How are they similar? How are they different?
Essay Topic 2
Please explain what narrative mode is and the four main types of narrative mode we touched on. Which narrative mode is used in Barrio Boy and do you think that this narrative mode was the best for the story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Barrio Boy can be considered a Coming of Age Story. Please explain what a Coming of Age story is and how Barrio Boy meets the requirements to be considered a Coming of Age story.
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)