|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ernie call his Aunt Ester?
2. What type of language does Gustavo teach Ernie in section 2?
3. According to the author, who originally settled this mountain village?
4. Who is overheard saying that "nothing ever happens" in Jalcocotbn?
5. What type of work does Don Catarino do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the historical and psychological reasons for the author writing this book?
2. What is the Lopez family's opinion of and experience with the priest?
3. How did Jalco come to exists?
4. How does Ernie describe his friend's funeral?
5. Who are Ernie's two uncles and how does he describe them?
6. How is a child of 6 or older raised in Jalco?
7. How does the author describe his relatives in Jalco?
8. What does Ernie's education in Part One, Section 5 mainly consist of?
9. What is the arroyo and what is it used for?
10. What is the educational system like in Jalco?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While Ernie it living in Mazatlan we get a glimpse of the class differences. Please analyze the various differences, hindrances, or opportunities that the poor and rich faced in Mazatlan. How was Ernie affected by these class differences?
Essay Topic 2
Please explain the role that religion plays in Ernie's life while in Mexico and compare that to the role that religion plays as a whole in Mexico. How are they similar? How are they different?
Essay Topic 3
Please define the purpose of a plot in a novel as well as the various parts of the plot. Barrio Boy is a nonfiction book, but it also contains a plot. Please define the specific plot of Barrio Boy and give an example of the various parts of the plot found in Barrio Boy.
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)