|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the residents of the village keep the street in front of their cottages clean?
2. What does the Lopez family seem to think the priests are more preoccupied with than saving souls?
3. Where are weddings and baptisms held?
4. What animal is shared by the entire village?
5. What did the Spaniards do to some of the Indians when they came to Mexico?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the arroyo and what is it used for?
2. Describe Don Cleofas.
3. What is the educational system like in Jalco?
4. How does Ernie react when he sees Coronel mating with the hen?
5. How does Ernie feel about the arrieros?
6. Why does the author state that he initially was compelled to write this story?
7. How does Jalco keep its history alive?
8. How does Ernie describe the various animals in Part One, Section 3?
9. What are the historical and psychological reasons for the author writing this book?
10. What is the Lopez family's opinion of and experience with the priest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please identify what the following are in a story: Major characters, minor character, antagonist, and protagonist. Please compare and contrast major and minor characters with antagonists and protagonists in Barrio Boy.
Essay Topic 2
Please explain what narrative mode is and the four main types of narrative mode we touched on. Which narrative mode is used in Barrio Boy and do you think that this narrative mode was the best for the story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Please explain the role that religion plays in Ernie's life while in Mexico and compare that to the role that religion plays as a whole in Mexico. How are they similar? How are they different?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)