|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a zopilote?
2. What trait does Ernie find more important about the rooster than his intelligence?
3. What foods does Ernie learn to eat like a man?
4. Which of the following is not mentioned by the author as being a public place in his village?
5. What profession is Ernie interested in in Part One, Section 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the government and religious institutions like in Jalco?
2. What is the Lopez family's opinion of and experience with the priest?
3. What does Dosa Eduvijes do and why?
4. Describe Don Cleofas.
5. How is Jalcocotbn described in Part One, Section 1?
6. What are the historical and psychological reasons for the author writing this book?
7. What is pinole and what is it for?
8. How did Jalco come to exists?
9. Why does the author state that he initially was compelled to write this story?
10. What does the author's language and description of Jalco seem to emphasize?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Death and sexuality are two subjects Ernie is introduced to while in Mexico. Please discuss the situations where Ernie encounters these two new parts of life. How would you describe his response to these events?
Essay Topic 2
Please identify what the following are in a story: Major characters, minor character, antagonist, and protagonist. Please compare and contrast major and minor characters with antagonists and protagonists in Barrio Boy.
Essay Topic 3
While Ernie it living in Mazatlan we get a glimpse of the class differences. Please analyze the various differences, hindrances, or opportunities that the poor and rich faced in Mazatlan. How was Ernie affected by these class differences?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)