|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is overheard saying that "nothing ever happens" in Jalcocotbn?
2. When is pinole used?
3. What city is located about 40 kilometers away from Jalcocotbn?
4. What trait does Ernie find more important about the rooster than his intelligence?
5. What information about Jalcocotbn is shared at the beginning of the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is music in Jalco like and used for?
2. What does Coronel's protection of the hens reinforce for Ernie?
3. How is Jalcocotbn described in Part One, Section 1?
4. From Ernie's description of Jalco, what does the daily lifestyle seem like in the village?
5. How does Ernie describe his friend's funeral?
6. How does Ernie react when he sees Coronel mating with the hen?
7. Who are Ernie's two uncles and how does he describe them?
8. What does the author's language and description of Jalco seem to emphasize?
9. Describe Ernie's cottage.
10. What is the Lopez family's opinion of and experience with the priest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Relationships are important elements of this story. Please choose one of Ernie's relationships and analyze it. Does this relationship change? How does it affect him as person?
Essay Topic 2
Please describe the gender roles that exist in Jalco. Pull one example from the text that you think is a good example of the gender roles in Jalco and explain why you think this is an accurate portrayal or picture of the gender roles.
Essay Topic 3
Please identify what conflict in a literature is and define the five types of conflict we touched on in class. What is the primary type of conflict found in Barrio Boy?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)