|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What instrument does Uncle Josy play?
2. What is the importance of the city of Jalcocotbn to the author?
3. What is the name of the family rooster?
4. What profession do Ernie and his cousins vow never to become in Part One, Section 7?
5. What basic skills do the adults of Jalcocotbn value?
Short Essay Questions
1. What two things interrupt the train's travels to Tucson?
2. How does Ernie describe the Devil's Backbone?
3. How does Jalco keep its history alive?
4. What are the residents of Leandro Valle like?
5. What is Ernie's gang like in the barrio?
6. How does the healer attempt to make a sick girl well in part five?
7. How does Ernie react when he sees Coronel mating with the hen?
8. How did Jalco come to exists?
9. What happens to Ernie's tooth in Mazatlan?
10. What does Ernie's education in Part One, Section 5 mainly consist of?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While Ernie it living in Mazatlan we get a glimpse of the class differences. Please analyze the various differences, hindrances, or opportunities that the poor and rich faced in Mazatlan. How was Ernie affected by these class differences?
Essay Topic 2
Theme is an essential part of a piece of literature. Please explain the role and purpose of theme in literature. What is the main theme of Barrio Boy? Are there any notable sub-themes?
Essay Topic 3
Relationships are important elements of this story. Please choose one of Ernie's relationships and analyze it. Does this relationship change? How does it affect him as person?
This section contains 1,314 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)