|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ernie call his Aunt Ester?
2. How many school are there in the village of Jalcocotbn?
3. Where are weddings and baptisms held?
4. Who is overheard saying that "nothing ever happens" in Jalcocotbn?
5. How did the residents of the village keep the street in front of their cottages clean?
Short Essay Questions
1. From Ernie's description of Jalco, what does the daily lifestyle seem like in the village?
2. What is the Lopez family's opinion of and experience with the priest?
3. Who are Ernie's two uncles and how does he describe them?
4. Describe Don Cleofas.
5. How is a child of 6 or older raised in Jalco?
6. How does Ernie feel about the arrieros?
7. How does Ernie describe the various animals in Part One, Section 3?
8. What are the historical and psychological reasons for the author writing this book?
9. Describe Ernie's cottage.
10. What is the educational system like in Jalco?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please describe the gender roles that exist in Jalco. Pull one example from the text that you think is a good example of the gender roles in Jalco and explain why you think this is an accurate portrayal or picture of the gender roles.
Essay Topic 2
Relationships are important elements of this story. Please choose one of Ernie's relationships and analyze it. Does this relationship change? How does it affect him as person?
Essay Topic 3
Please explain the purpose of tone and some ways that tone is communicated in a novel or nonfiction book. What is the tone of Barrio Boy?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)