|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What slang term for cowardly is used by Ernie's mother in Part One, Section 4?
2. What instrument does Uncle Josy play?
3. What animal is shared by the entire village?
4. Who is the beheaded hero that the men in the village sometimes sing about?
5. What foods does Ernie learn to eat like a man?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the layout of the village of Jalco?
2. How did Jalco come to exists?
3. What is the arroyo and what is it used for?
4. What does Dosa Eduvijes do and why?
5. What does Ernie's education in Part One, Section 5 mainly consist of?
6. What is the Lopez family's opinion of and experience with the priest?
7. What is music in Jalco like and used for?
8. What is the educational system like in Jalco?
9. What is the connection between the words Gallo and chicken and men and women?
10. How does Ernie feel about the arrieros?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please briefly describe the political situation in Mexico at the time that Ernie is living there. How do the political circumstances effect Ernie's life and his story?
Essay Topic 2
Please define the purpose of a plot in a novel as well as the various parts of the plot. Barrio Boy is a nonfiction book, but it also contains a plot. Please define the specific plot of Barrio Boy and give an example of the various parts of the plot found in Barrio Boy.
Essay Topic 3
Please identify what conflict in a literature is and define the five types of conflict we touched on in class. What is the primary type of conflict found in Barrio Boy?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)