|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the priest expel Josy?
2. Where was Dosa Henriqueta married?
3. What profession do Ernie and his cousins vow never to become in Part One, Section 7?
4. Why does Coronel attack a buzzard?
5. What trait does Ernie find more important about the rooster than his intelligence?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is pinole and what is it for?
2. Describe Don Cleofas.
3. What does Ernie's education in Part One, Section 5 mainly consist of?
4. Describe Ernie's cottage.
5. What is the layout of the village of Jalco?
6. How does Ernie react when he sees Coronel mating with the hen?
7. What is the connection between the words Gallo and chicken and men and women?
8. How does Ernie feel about the arrieros?
9. How did Jalco come to exists?
10. Who are Ernie's two uncles and how does he describe them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please explain the purpose of tone and some ways that tone is communicated in a novel or nonfiction book. What is the tone of Barrio Boy?
Essay Topic 2
Please explain what narrative mode is and the four main types of narrative mode we touched on. Which narrative mode is used in Barrio Boy and do you think that this narrative mode was the best for the story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Theme is an essential part of a piece of literature. Please explain the role and purpose of theme in literature. What is the main theme of Barrio Boy? Are there any notable sub-themes?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)