|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ernie notice about Juan-Chon when he sees him on the train to the U.S?
(a) That he is limping.
(b) That his braid is missing.
(c) That he is not wearing shoes.
(d) That his face is bruised.
2. Who is the gang leader of the boys of the brewery?
(a) El Huilo.
(b) El Mercado.
(c) El Perico.
(d) El Wampole.
3. Why does Henriqueta give Ernie an emulsion called Wampole?
(a) To help him with his toothache.
(b) So that he will gain weight.
(c) For his gas.
(d) To help him recover from a cold.
4. What are haciendas?
(a) Commercial farms.
(b) Open fields.
(d) Small communities.
5. What treat does Ernie buy from the vendors when his mother gives him money?
(a) Pan dulce.
(b) A brown sugar stick.
(d) Mango and chili powder.
Short Answer Questions
1. While staying in Acaponeta, where do Ernie and his mother spend Sunday afternoons?
2. Which of the following characters contracts measles in Part Three of the story?
3. How do many of the neighborhood residents view doctors in Mazatlan?
4. What is the largest employer in the area when Ernie is living in Mazatlan?
5. What astronomical sight does Ernie mention seeing during his last year in Jalco?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ernie describe the Devil's Backbone?
2. How does Ernie view the train station in Part Two, Section 2?
3. What two things interrupt the train's travels to Tucson?
4. What is one of the signs of manhood Ernie describes?
5. What are the various jobs help by Ernie's family while in Tepic?
6. What are the haciendas and Ernie's opinion of them?
7. What role does Dosa Florencia play in Ernie's neighborhood?
8. Why do Josy and Gustavo leave Jalco in Part One, Section 9?
9. What is Ernie's experience with music in the barrio?
10. What is the difference in the way older boys and younger boys play in Jalco?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)