|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What must a boy do before he can begin the courtship process?
(a) Learn to work as his father does.
(b) Leave his parents home and build his own.
(c) Gain land.
(d) Be saved by the holy church.
2. According to Henriqueta where else did Christopher Columbus discover besides the U.S.?
3. What does Ernie's mother have him take to Juan-Chon while on the train?
(a) Two tacos.
(b) Something to drink.
(c) A piece of candy.
(d) A note.
4. What is Leandro Valle?
(a) The name of Ernie's neighbor.
(b) The street Ernie lives on.
(c) One of the neighborhoods in Mazatlan.
(d) The name of Ernie's best friend in Mazatlan.
5. According to Part One, Sections 9 and 10, who is campaigning against Don Porfirio for the presidency?
(a) Don Francisco Madero.
(b) Don Marco Juan Villas.
(c) Don Roberto Vasquez.
(d) Don Miguel Caster.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is tied between the horns of the steer skull when the boys play bullfights?
2. What are supporters of Don Porfirio called?
3. How high are the sidewalks where Ernie lives in the Mazatlan?
4. What two things are the soldiers looking for when they come to Jalco?
5. What has caused the creek near Jalco to overflow?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Josy and Gustavo leave Jalco in Part One, Section 9?
2. What is Ernie's experience with music in the barrio?
3. How does Ernie describe the Devil's Backbone?
4. What two things interrupt the train's travels to Tucson?
5. What are the circumstances surrounding Nerun's death?
6. What is Ernie and Henriqueta's short experience in Tucson like?
7. What is Ernie's gang like in the barrio?
8. What role does Dosa Florencia play in Ernie's neighborhood?
9. What is the difference in the way older boys and younger boys play in Jalco?
10. What is Ernie's meeting with Juan-Chon like in Part Three?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)