|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what city does Gustavo go to find work?
(a) El Cajon.
(d) Mexico City.
2. When are boys responsible for completing traditionally feminine chores?
(b) Whenever they are misbehaving.
(c) There are no traditionally feminine chores.
(d) Only when there are no girls in the household.
3. What is the term used for Mexicans that have grown up in California?
4. Why does Ernie think that people are worried about safety in Tepic?
(a) Because of the presense of drug lords.
(b) Because of all the gang related violence.
(c) Because of the visible presence of the military throughout the city.
(d) Because the city has a history of civil war.
5. Who does Ernie work for in California?
(a) The Chinese laundryman.
(b) A nearby restaurant.
(c) His landlady.
(d) The milk man.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the Old Gentleman signal to Ernie that he should come over and help with his tie?
2. What book does Ernie ask Mr. Howard to find for him?
3. Where does Henriqueta's cousin suggest she save her money?
4. How many rooms does Ernie's new home in Jalco have?
5. Which of the following roles do Americans not have in the barrio?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the soldiers come to Jalco?
2. How does Ernie describe his new home in Mazatlan?
3. What differences between Americans and Mexicans does Ernie note in Part Three?
4. What role does Dosa Florencia play in Ernie's neighborhood?
5. What does Ernie see as they approach Tepic?
6. What is Ernie's experience with music in the barrio?
7. What is the difference in the way older boys and younger boys play in Jalco?
8. What happens to Ernie's tooth in Mazatlan?
9. What is one of the signs of manhood Ernie describes?
10. How does Ernie allude to the dangers of living in a city like Tepic?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)