|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the wooden crosses that Ernie sees on his journey to Tepic mean?
(a) They mark spots where other travelers have died.
(b) They represent saints that watch over travelers' safety.
(c) The show where churches once stood.
(d) They remind travelers to pray.
2. Where do Ernie and his mother go to get away from the sounds of the city?
(b) A small town north of Tepic.
(c) The Alameda.
(d) Their apartment.
3. Where do Ernie and Henriqueta finally arrive at the end of Part Three?
(a) El Rey Hotel.
(b) Hotel Espasol.
(c) Gustavo's house.
(d) San Francisco.
4. Who comes through Jalco with news of Gustavo?
(a) A man who used to live in Jalco too.
(b) A soldier.
(c) A traveling salesman.
5. Who does Ernie work for in California?
(a) The milk man.
(b) A nearby restaurant.
(c) The Chinese laundryman.
(d) His landlady.
Short Answer Questions
1. Besides electricity, what other modern convenience does Ernie learn about when they arrive in Tucson?
2. What does Ernie call the men who stand outside stores yelling their slogans?
3. Who gets access to organized education in Tepic?
4. What role do the younger boys play when the older boys allow them to play bullfights with them?
5. What astronomical sight does Ernie mention seeing during his last year in Jalco?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Ernie's tooth in Mazatlan?
2. What is one of the signs of manhood Ernie describes?
3. What are some effects of the flooding in Jalco?
4. What role does Dosa Florencia play in Ernie's neighborhood?
5. What are the circumstances surrounding Nerun's death?
6. How does Ernie feel about moving to Tepic?
7. Why is Ernie so angry with his mother as they journey to Tepic?
8. How does Ernie describe his new home in Mazatlan?
9. What happens when the soldiers come to Jalco?
10. What presence do Americans have in the barrio?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)