|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Part One, Sections 9 and 10, who is campaigning against Don Porfirio for the presidency?
(a) Don Miguel Caster.
(b) Don Marco Juan Villas.
(c) Don Roberto Vasquez.
(d) Don Francisco Madero.
2. Where does Josy plan to meet Gustavo when they arrive in the U.S.?
(b) San Diego.
3. Why are the Lopez's held at Angel Island when they come by boat to the U.S?
(a) Because that is as far as the boat goes.
(b) Because they are criminals.
(c) Because that is where they requested to be dropped off.
(d) Because they are in quarantine.
4. What do the wooden crosses that Ernie sees on his journey to Tepic mean?
(a) The show where churches once stood.
(b) They mark spots where other travelers have died.
(c) They represent saints that watch over travelers' safety.
(d) They remind travelers to pray.
5. Who are the only individuals Ernie and Henriqueta socialize with while they stay in Tucson?
(a) The old couple they are renting a room from.
(b) The father of the local church.
(c) The family that lives across from them.
(d) The mailman that comes by once a day.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ernie react when he sees the American soldiers helping people off the train?
2. To what city does Gustavo go to find work?
3. Where do the children play bullfight?
4. What are haciendas?
5. According to Henriqueta where else did Christopher Columbus discover besides the U.S.?
Short Essay Questions
1. What presence do Americans have in the barrio?
2. What are some effects of the flooding in Jalco?
3. How does Ernie allude to the dangers of living in a city like Tepic?
4. What are the haciendas and Ernie's opinion of them?
5. What are the residents of Leandro Valle like?
6. What happens to Ernie's tooth in Mazatlan?
7. What role does Dosa Florencia play in Ernie's neighborhood?
8. What is the family's plan to leave Tepic?
9. How does Ernie feel about moving to Tepic?
10. What does Ernie see as they approach Tepic?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)