|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is the landlady's helper in Tepic?
(a) 2 or 3 years older than Ernie.
(b) 25 years old.
(c) 14 years old.
(d) 1 year younger than Ernie.
2. What type of job does Josy hold in Tepic?
(a) He is a day laborer.
(b) He is a cart driver.
(c) He is a delivery boy.
(d) He works in construction.
3. Where does Henriqueta's cousin suggest she save her money?
(a) With the church.
(b) In the bank.
(c) With her cousin in a secret place.
(d) Under her floorboards.
4. What is the name of the most dangerous part of the family's journey to Tepic?
(a) The devil's backbone.
(b) The dark path.
(c) The dead saints highway.
(d) The spine.
5. While staying in Acaponeta, where do Ernie and his mother spend Sunday afternoons?
(a) The river.
(b) The market.
(c) The orchard.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following roles do Americans not have in the barrio?
2. Besides electricity, what other modern convenience does Ernie learn about when they arrive in Tucson?
3. What are supporters of Don Porfirio called?
4. Why does Ernie think that people are worried about safety in Tepic?
5. Who shoots at Josy as he leaves his job building stone markers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is one of the signs of manhood Ernie describes?
2. What are the circumstances surrounding Nerun's death?
3. What is Ernie and Henriqueta's short experience in Tucson like?
4. What are some effects of the flooding in Jalco?
5. What two things interrupt the train's travels to Tucson?
6. What is the family's plan to leave Tepic?
7. What presence do Americans have in the barrio?
8. What is Ernie's experience with music in the barrio?
9. What does Ernie see as they approach Tepic?
10. What happens when the soldiers come to Jalco?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)