|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What grade is Ernie in when he starts school in Mazatlan?
(b) First grade.
(c) Second grade.
(d) Third grade.
2. In Part Four, about how many tenants are there in Ernie's apartment building?
3. What book does Ernie ask Mr. Howard to find for him?
(a) Tio Tonche.
(b) The Hardy Boys.
(c) The Three Little Pigs.
(d) Commentaries on the Common Law of England.
4. According to Henriqueta where else did Christopher Columbus discover besides the U.S.?
5. Why does Henriqueta give Ernie an emulsion called Wampole?
(a) To help him with his toothache.
(b) To help him recover from a cold.
(c) For his gas.
(d) So that he will gain weight.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ernie first learn about the physical differences between boys and girls?
2. Where does Henriqueta's cousin suggest she save her money?
3. Where do Ernie and Henriqueta finally arrive at the end of Part Three?
4. How high are the sidewalks where Ernie lives in the Mazatlan?
5. Through whose story does Ernie explain the traditional way a boy learns his fathers work?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Ernie's tooth in Mazatlan?
2. What two things interrupt the train's travels to Tucson?
3. Why do Josy and Gustavo leave Jalco in Part One, Section 9?
4. How does Ernie feel about moving to Tepic?
5. What presence do Americans have in the barrio?
6. How does Ernie describe the Devil's Backbone?
7. What differences between Americans and Mexicans does Ernie note in Part Three?
8. What are some effects of the flooding in Jalco?
9. How does Ernie view the train station in Part Two, Section 2?
10. What happens when the soldiers come to Jalco?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)