|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Ernie and his mother go to get away from the sounds of the city?
(b) A small town north of Tepic.
(c) Their apartment.
(d) The Alameda.
2. Where does Josy plan to meet Gustavo when they arrive in the U.S.?
(b) San Diego.
3. Why does Henriqueta give Ernie an emulsion called Wampole?
(a) For his gas.
(b) To help him with his toothache.
(c) To help him recover from a cold.
(d) So that he will gain weight.
4. Why is Ernie not allowed in the party for the poor children?
(a) Because he has not combed his hair.
(b) Because he is not dirty and must not be poor.
(c) Because he is wearing shoes.
(d) Because he did not have an invitation.
5. Who is it that kills Nerun because he is sick?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Josy and Gustavo leave Jalco in Part One, sections 9 and 10?
2. What does Ernie call the men who stand outside stores yelling their slogans?
3. When are boys responsible for completing traditionally feminine chores?
4. Besides electricity, what other modern convenience does Ernie learn about when they arrive in Tucson?
5. What are supporters of Don Porfirio called?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does Dosa Florencia play in Ernie's neighborhood?
2. What are some effects of the flooding in Jalco?
3. What is Ernie's gang like in the barrio?
4. What happens when the soldiers come to Jalco?
5. What role does the forest play to the residents of Jalco?
6. How does Ernie describe his new home in Mazatlan?
7. How does Ernie describe the Devil's Backbone?
8. What is Ernie's experience with music in the barrio?
9. What does Ernie see as they approach Tepic?
10. What are the haciendas and Ernie's opinion of them?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)