|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Josy and Gustavo leave Jalco in Part One, sections 9 and 10?
(a) Because they want an adventure.
(b) To go to university.
(c) Because they are ready to move on to bigger things.
(d) To avoid being forced into military service.
2. What does Josy call the guerrilla soldiers that live in the mountains?
3. What does Ernie notice about Juan-Chon when he sees him on the train to the U.S?
(a) That his braid is missing.
(b) That his face is bruised.
(c) That he is not wearing shoes.
(d) That he is limping.
4. What example does Ernie give that shows there are safety concerns in Tepic?
(a) Everyone is in their homes by twilight.
(b) Gustavo sleeps with a knife near his bed.
(c) Ernie's mother purchases a gun.
(d) The landlady bars the doors of the patio at night.
5. How high are the sidewalks where Ernie lives in the Mazatlan?
(a) Six or seven feet above the street.
(b) Six inches high.
(c) A foot high.
(d) There are no sidewalks where Ernie lives.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a capataz?
2. Where does Henriqueta's cousin suggest she save her money?
3. What is the name of the most dangerous part of the family's journey to Tepic?
4. Whose belonging have to be brought to the Lopez's home due to the flooding?
5. What is the Plaza de Armas?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference in the way older boys and younger boys play in Jalco?
2. How does Ernie allude to the dangers of living in a city like Tepic?
3. What does Ernie see as they approach Tepic?
4. What is Ernie and Henriqueta's short experience in Tucson like?
5. What are the circumstances surrounding Nerun's death?
6. What happens to Ernie's tooth in Mazatlan?
7. What role does Dosa Florencia play in Ernie's neighborhood?
8. What are the various jobs help by Ernie's family while in Tepic?
9. What differences between Americans and Mexicans does Ernie note in Part Three?
10. What is one of the signs of manhood Ernie describes?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)