|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two things are the soldiers looking for when they come to Jalco?
(a) Criminals and alcohol.
(b) Weapons and young men.
(c) Alcohol and weapons.
(d) Gold and weapons.
2. What are haciendas?
(a) Small communities.
(b) Open fields.
(c) Commercial farms.
3. Where does Henriqueta's cousin suggest she save her money?
(a) Under her floorboards.
(b) With her cousin in a secret place.
(c) With the church.
(d) In the bank.
4. Who does Ernie work for in California?
(a) A nearby restaurant.
(b) His landlady.
(c) The Chinese laundryman.
(d) The milk man.
5. Which of the following roles do Americans not have in the barrio?
(c) Rent collectors.
Short Answer Questions
1. What treat does Ernie buy from the vendors when his mother gives him money?
2. How many rooms does Ernie's new home in Jalco have?
3. What does Ernie refer to his mother's sewing machine as?
4. Where do Ernie and his mother go to get away from the sounds of the city?
5. What does Ernie call the men who stand outside stores yelling their slogans?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ernie view the train station in Part Two, Section 2?
2. What differences between Americans and Mexicans does Ernie note in Part Three?
3. What are some effects of the flooding in Jalco?
4. What is Ernie's meeting with Juan-Chon like in Part Three?
5. What is one of the signs of manhood Ernie describes?
6. What is Ernie and Henriqueta's short experience in Tucson like?
7. What is the family's plan to leave Tepic?
8. What is Ernie's gang like in the barrio?
9. How does Ernie feel about moving to Tepic?
10. What role does the forest play to the residents of Jalco?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)