|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many rooms does Ernie's new home in Jalco have?
2. How old is the landlady's helper in Tepic?
(a) 14 years old.
(b) 2 or 3 years older than Ernie.
(c) 25 years old.
(d) 1 year younger than Ernie.
3. Which of the following activities do Americans do that Ernie sees as strange?
(a) They leave their hats on while inside.
(b) They chew on toothpicks.
(c) They say "howdy."
(d) They grab each others hands and shake them.
4. Where do Ernie and his mother go to get away from the sounds of the city?
(b) The Alameda.
(c) A small town north of Tepic.
(d) Their apartment.
5. Where do Ernie and his family stay the first night of their travels to Tepic?
(a) In a cave.
(b) In a motel.
(c) A rancho.
(d) A refugee camp.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Josy call the guerrilla soldiers that live in the mountains?
2. What astronomical sight does Ernie mention seeing during his last year in Jalco?
3. What does Ernie's mother have him take to Juan-Chon while on the train?
4. Who gets access to organized education in Tepic?
5. Where do the children play bullfight?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Ernie's experience with music in the barrio?
2. What presence do Americans have in the barrio?
3. What is Ernie and Henriqueta's short experience in Tucson like?
4. What are the haciendas and Ernie's opinion of them?
5. What happens to the Galarzas as they arrive in the U.S.?
6. What is one of the signs of manhood Ernie describes?
7. What are some effects of the flooding in Jalco?
8. What differences between Americans and Mexicans does Ernie note in Part Three?
9. What two things interrupt the train's travels to Tucson?
10. What happens to Ernie's tooth in Mazatlan?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)