|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ernie feel about sandwiches the first time he eats one?
(a) He thinks it is distasteful.
(b) It makes him sick.
(c) He loves it.
(d) He is indifferent.
2. To what city does Gustavo go to find work?
(a) Mexico City.
(d) El Cajon.
3. How does Henriqueta contribute to the family income while in Mazatlan?
(a) By teaching at a neighborhood school.
(b) By washing other clothes.
(c) By nannying.
(d) By sewing and mending.
4. How do many of the neighborhood residents view doctors in Mazatlan?
(a) They like doctors but simply cannot afford to go to them.
(b) They do not know what doctors are.
(c) They are supicious of them and try to remedy themselves.
(d) They hate all doctors.
5. What is the most significant difference in daily chores that Ernie notes in Part Two, Section 1?
(a) How you cannot throw trash into the street in Tepic.
(b) That Ernie must do "girl" chores now.
(c) How laundry and bathing are done in tubs.
(d) That there are no chickens to care for.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the most dangerous part of the family's journey to Tepic?
2. Where do Ernie and Henriqueta finally arrive at the end of Part Three?
3. What do the wooden crosses that Ernie sees on his journey to Tepic mean?
4. What astronomical sight does Ernie mention seeing during his last year in Jalco?
5. Which of the following roles do Americans not have in the barrio?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ernie describe the Devil's Backbone?
2. How does Ernie view the train station in Part Two, Section 2?
3. What are some effects of the flooding in Jalco?
4. Why is Ernie so angry with his mother as they journey to Tepic?
5. What is Ernie's meeting with Juan-Chon like in Part Three?
6. What are the circumstances surrounding Nerun's death?
7. What is Ernie's experience with music in the barrio?
8. What is the family's plan to leave Tepic?
9. What happens to Ernie's tooth in Mazatlan?
10. What role does Dosa Florencia play in Ernie's neighborhood?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)