|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following activities do Americans do that Ernie sees as strange?
(a) They leave their hats on while inside.
(b) They chew on toothpicks.
(c) They say "howdy."
(d) They grab each others hands and shake them.
2. According to Henriqueta where else did Christopher Columbus discover besides the U.S.?
3. While staying in Acaponeta, where do Ernie and his mother spend Sunday afternoons?
(a) The river.
(b) The market.
(d) The orchard.
4. What has caused the creek near Jalco to overflow?
(a) Hurricane rains.
(c) A huge snow melt.
(d) A broken dam.
5. What American activity are the Mexican immigrants pleasantly surprised about?
(a) Trash collection.
(b) The surprising amount of community activities.
(c) The rock n' roll music.
(d) The Americans' laughter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Leandro Valle?
2. What are haciendas?
3. What does Ernie call the men who stand outside stores yelling their slogans?
4. What book does Ernie ask Mr. Howard to find for him?
5. What type of instrument does Ernie buy from a pawnshop?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ernie allude to the dangers of living in a city like Tepic?
2. What is Ernie's experience with music in the barrio?
3. What is the family's plan to leave Tepic?
4. What happens to the Galarzas as they arrive in the U.S.?
5. What two things interrupt the train's travels to Tucson?
6. What presence do Americans have in the barrio?
7. What happens to Ernie's tooth in Mazatlan?
8. What is Ernie and Henriqueta's short experience in Tucson like?
9. What is the difference in the way older boys and younger boys play in Jalco?
10. What happens when the soldiers come to Jalco?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)