|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are the only individuals Ernie and Henriqueta socialize with while they stay in Tucson?
(a) The old couple they are renting a room from.
(b) The family that lives across from them.
(c) The mailman that comes by once a day.
(d) The father of the local church.
2. How do many of the neighborhood residents view doctors in Mazatlan?
(a) They hate all doctors.
(b) They are supicious of them and try to remedy themselves.
(c) They do not know what doctors are.
(d) They like doctors but simply cannot afford to go to them.
3. At what age do the boys in the village begin taking on manual labor?
(a) 9 or 10 years old.
(b) 12 years old.
(c) 4 years old.
(d) 5 or 6 years old.
4. How does Ernie feel about sandwiches the first time he eats one?
(a) He loves it.
(b) He thinks it is distasteful.
(c) It makes him sick.
(d) He is indifferent.
5. What is the Plaza de Armas?
(a) The street that Ernie lives on in Tepic.
(b) The main government building in Tepic.
(c) Tepic's central plaza.
(d) The nearest church to Ernie's home.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose belonging have to be brought to the Lopez's home due to the flooding?
2. How does Ernie first learn about the physical differences between boys and girls?
3. What are supporters of Don Porfirio called?
4. What is the largest employer in the area when Ernie is living in Mazatlan?
5. What does Josy call the guerrilla soldiers that live in the mountains?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is one of the signs of manhood Ernie describes?
2. What is Ernie and Henriqueta's short experience in Tucson like?
3. What happens to the Galarzas as they arrive in the U.S.?
4. What does Ernie see as they approach Tepic?
5. How does Ernie describe the Devil's Backbone?
6. How does Ernie feel about moving to Tepic?
7. How does Ernie allude to the dangers of living in a city like Tepic?
8. What happens when the soldiers come to Jalco?
9. What two things interrupt the train's travels to Tucson?
10. What role does the forest play to the residents of Jalco?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)