|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what age do the boys in the village begin taking on manual labor?
(a) 9 or 10 years old.
(b) 4 years old.
(c) 5 or 6 years old.
(d) 12 years old.
2. Who are the only individuals Ernie and Henriqueta socialize with while they stay in Tucson?
(a) The mailman that comes by once a day.
(b) The family that lives across from them.
(c) The father of the local church.
(d) The old couple they are renting a room from.
3. What example does Ernie give that shows there are safety concerns in Tepic?
(a) The landlady bars the doors of the patio at night.
(b) Everyone is in their homes by twilight.
(c) Ernie's mother purchases a gun.
(d) Gustavo sleeps with a knife near his bed.
4. What is a capataz?
(a) A small woolen hat.
(b) A sheriff.
(c) A farm supervisor.
(d) A dangerous animal.
5. When are boys responsible for completing traditionally feminine chores?
(a) There are no traditionally feminine chores.
(b) Only when there are no girls in the household.
(d) Whenever they are misbehaving.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ernie react when he sees the American soldiers helping people off the train?
2. What grade is Ernie in when he starts school in Mazatlan?
3. What type of instrument does Ernie buy from a pawnshop?
4. How does the Old Gentleman signal to Ernie that he should come over and help with his tie?
5. Where is Ernie when his mother returns home at night from helping attend to a sick person?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ernie see as they approach Tepic?
2. What happens when the soldiers come to Jalco?
3. What role does Dosa Florencia play in Ernie's neighborhood?
4. What is the difference in the way older boys and younger boys play in Jalco?
5. How does Ernie describe the Devil's Backbone?
6. Why is Ernie so angry with his mother as they journey to Tepic?
7. What happens to the Galarzas as they arrive in the U.S.?
8. What presence do Americans have in the barrio?
9. Why do Josy and Gustavo leave Jalco in Part One, Section 9?
10. What happens to Ernie's tooth in Mazatlan?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)