|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Cleofas consider as a basic human right?
(a) The right to marry whoever you choose.
(b) A man's freedom to work for himself.
(c) A person's right to have an education.
(d) Access to clean water.
2. How many school are there in the village of Jalcocotbn?
3. About how many cottages does Ernie estimate are in his village?
(a) Two hundred fifty.
(c) One hundred.
4. What is the name of the time when Indian tribes had their own system of authority?
(a) The time of the Aztecs.
(b) Before the conquest.
(c) The time of old.
(d) Pre-columbian era.
5. According to the author in Section 1, what is the psychological importance of the story?
(a) The fact that this story could help others overcome tramatic experiences.
(b) The desire to communicate his confidence in his self-image as a Mexican immigrant.
(c) That the story sheds light on the pysche of adolescents.
(d) That the story communicates the equality of all humans.
Short Answer Questions
1. What foods does Ernie learn to eat like a man?
2. What is it that Dosa Eduvijes put in her mouth as she tells her stories?
3. What information about Jalcocotbn is shared at the beginning of the story?
4. What type of tree is located at the edge of the pond in Jalcocotbn?
5. What does the Lopez family seem to think the priests are more preoccupied with than saving souls?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ernie describe the various animals in Part One, Section 3?
2. How does Jalco keep its history alive?
3. What are the historical and psychological reasons for the author writing this book?
4. What does Coronel's protection of the hens reinforce for Ernie?
5. Why does the author state that he initially was compelled to write this story?
6. Describe Don Cleofas.
7. What is the arroyo and what is it used for?
8. What does Dosa Eduvijes do and why?
9. What is the Lopez family's opinion of and experience with the priest?
10. What does Ernie's education in Part One, Section 5 mainly consist of?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)