|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the author in Section 1, what is the historical importance of the story?
(a) That it is important because it is the story of his life.
(b) That many other families also migrated to the United States.
(c) That the story talks specifically about human rights.
(d) That the story covers never before heard history.
2. What do Ernie and his mother bring to the mother of a dead boy?
(a) All answers are right.
(b) A vase.
(d) A book of prayers.
3. How does Ernie learn to roast coffee beans?
(a) Quickly so that they do not turn brown.
(b) WIth patience and love.
(c) On the comal.
(d) In a large kettle.
4. How many school are there in the village of Jalcocotbn?
5. What instrument does Uncle Josy play?
(a) The guitar.
(b) The maracas.
(c) The Harmonica.
(d) The drum.
Short Answer Questions
1. What foods does Ernie learn to eat like a man?
2. What is a zopilote?
3. What is the hanging platform called that Ernie slept on as a child?
4. What does the Lopez family seem to think the priests are more preoccupied with than saving souls?
5. Where are weddings and baptisms held?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ernie's education in Part One, Section 5 mainly consist of?
2. What is the educational system like in Jalco?
3. How does Ernie react when he sees Coronel mating with the hen?
4. What does the author's language and description of Jalco seem to emphasize?
5. What are the historical and psychological reasons for the author writing this book?
6. How does Catarino's opinion about Coronel's fight affect Ernie?
7. How does the author describe his relatives in Jalco?
8. Describe Don Cleofas.
9. How does Jalco keep its history alive?
10. What is the arroyo and what is it used for?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)