|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What slang term for cowardly is used by Ernie's mother in Part One, Section 4?
(c) Scaredy cat.
2. What is the hanging platform called that Ernie slept on as a child?
(a) A cama.
(b) A hammock.
(c) A tapanco.
(d) A mesa.
3. What city is located about 40 kilometers away from Jalcocotbn?
(a) La Cuidad de Suenos.
4. The use of what words in Part One, Section 4 can be seen as adding to the sense of division between men and women?
(a) Gallo and chicken.
(b) Brave and scared.
(c) Chicken and buzzard.
(d) Small and large.
5. What nation did General Porfirio Diaz fight in war, leading to his becoming president?
(a) United States.
Short Answer Questions
1. About how many cottages does Ernie estimate are in his village?
2. Which of the following items is not found in pinole?
3. What type of wildlife is the forest around Jalcocotbn heavily populated with?
4. What is Cleofas' age?
5. How many school are there in the village of Jalcocotbn?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference in the way older boys and younger boys play in Jalco?
2. What is the arroyo and what is it used for?
3. What is the connection between the words Gallo and chicken and men and women?
4. How does the healer attempt to make a sick girl well in part five?
5. What affect does the flu epidemic have on Ernie's family?
6. How does Ernie describe the Devil's Backbone?
7. What is music in Jalco like and used for?
8. How does Jalco keep its history alive?
9. What is Josy and Ernie's relationship like after they move back to the barrio in Part 5?
10. What are the historical and psychological reasons for the author writing this book?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)