|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What outdoor activity did the men of a Jalcocotbn participate in if the weather permitted?
2. What do the residents of Jalcocotbn do with their trash?
(a) They bury it in a nearby cave.
(b) They throw it into the ocean.
(c) They burn it every week in a large ditch.
(d) They throw it in a ditch alongside the street.
3. What information about Jalcocotbn is shared at the beginning of the story?
(a) Information about it's physical characteristics and history.
(b) Information about the lack of education and work in the city.
(c) Information about the political state in the city.
(d) Information about the financial situation.
4. What do Jalco children learn by having others who are not their parents discipline them?
(a) That everyone has a different idea of what acting bad is.
(b) That it is not worth it to be bad.
(c) That someone is always watching.
(d) That you have to be extra sneaky.
5. How many school are there in the village of Jalcocotbn?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Cleofas' age?
2. How did the residents of the village keep the street in front of their cottages clean?
3. Besides "rooster" what does the Spanish word gallo mean?
4. What is a zopilote?
5. The use of what words in Part One, Section 4 can be seen as adding to the sense of division between men and women?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Coronel's protection of the hens reinforce for Ernie?
2. How did Jalco come to exists?
3. How does the author describe his relatives in Jalco?
4. Why does the author state that he initially was compelled to write this story?
5. What are the historical and psychological reasons for the author writing this book?
6. From Ernie's description of Jalco, what does the daily lifestyle seem like in the village?
7. What does Ernie's education in Part One, Section 5 mainly consist of?
8. What are the government and religious institutions like in Jalco?
9. What does the author's language and description of Jalco seem to emphasize?
10. Who are Ernie's two uncles and how does he describe them?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)