|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The use of what words in Part One, Section 4 can be seen as adding to the sense of division between men and women?
(a) Chicken and buzzard.
(b) Gallo and chicken.
(c) Brave and scared.
(d) Small and large.
2. Who comments that buzzards are "chickens"?
3. What does the Weeping Woman's presence foreshadow?
(b) Volcanic erruptions.
(d) The birth of a child.
4. What city is located about 40 kilometers away from Jalcocotbn?
(d) La Cuidad de Suenos.
5. At what age is it customary for adults and neighbors to take part in the child's discipline in the village of Jalco?
Short Answer Questions
1. What instrument does Uncle Josy play?
2. What are the corrals in the back of the cottages built out of?
3. What type of language does Gustavo teach Ernie in section 2?
4. What similarity can be seen between Coronel and Don Catarino?
5. What information about Jalcocotbn is shared at the beginning of the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author's language and description of Jalco seem to emphasize?
2. How does Jalco keep its history alive?
3. How did Jalco come to exists?
4. From Ernie's description of Jalco, what does the daily lifestyle seem like in the village?
5. Why does the author state that he initially was compelled to write this story?
6. How does Ernie describe his friend's funeral?
7. What does Coronel's protection of the hens reinforce for Ernie?
8. What is the layout of the village of Jalco?
9. Who are Ernie's two uncles and how does he describe them?
10. What does Dosa Eduvijes do and why?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)