|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the importance of the city of Jalcocotbn to the author?
(a) He attended high school there.
(b) He was born there.
(c) He wants to move there some day.
(d) He went to college there.
2. How does Ernie receive his education, for the most part?
(a) By travelling twice a week to Tepic.
(b) From his elder cousin, through homeschool.
(c) By going to the local church and being taught by the Pastor.
(d) From watching the people around him.
3. What similarity can be seen between Coronel and Don Catarino?
(a) They are both loud.
(b) They are both very intelligent.
(c) They are both quick.
(d) They are both the head of their "households."
4. What type of language does Gustavo teach Ernie in section 2?
(a) An ancient Indian language.
(c) Pig latin.
5. What is the name of the stream that runs through Jalcocotbn?
(a) The Rio Grande.
(b) Pico Rio.
(d) It has no name.
Short Answer Questions
1. The use of what words in Part One, Section 4 can be seen as adding to the sense of division between men and women?
2. What is it that provides an escape route for Jalcocotbn should an attack occur?
3. Who comments that buzzards are "chickens"?
4. Which of the following items is not found in pinole?
5. Where are weddings and baptisms held?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author's language and description of Jalco seem to emphasize?
2. From Ernie's description of Jalco, what does the daily lifestyle seem like in the village?
3. Why does the author state that he initially was compelled to write this story?
4. What are the historical and psychological reasons for the author writing this book?
5. How does the author describe his relatives in Jalco?
6. What is pinole and what is it for?
7. How is a child of 6 or older raised in Jalco?
8. How does Jalco keep its history alive?
9. How does Catarino's opinion about Coronel's fight affect Ernie?
10. How does Ernie feel about the arrieros?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)