|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Cleofas consider as a basic human right?
(a) Access to clean water.
(b) A person's right to have an education.
(c) The right to marry whoever you choose.
(d) A man's freedom to work for himself.
2. What type of tree is located at the edge of the pond in Jalcocotbn?
3. Who is overheard saying that "nothing ever happens" in Jalcocotbn?
(a) Don Chano.
(c) Dosa Henriqueta.
(d) Uncle Josy.
4. What do Dosa Eduvijes' tales do for the children in the village?
(a) Makes them more creative.
(b) Provides exposure to the concepts of good and evil.
(c) Scares them so that they do not go into the surrounding woods.
(d) Teaches them about mythology.
5. Besides "rooster" what does the Spanish word gallo mean?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Cleofas' age?
2. What do Jalco children learn by having others who are not their parents discipline them?
3. What type of animal is the family pet while Ernie lives in Jalco?
4. What do the residents of Jalcocotbn do with their trash?
5. What are the corrals in the back of the cottages built out of?
Short Essay Questions
1. From Ernie's description of Jalco, what does the daily lifestyle seem like in the village?
2. How did Jalco come to exists?
3. How does Catarino's opinion about Coronel's fight affect Ernie?
4. What are the historical and psychological reasons for the author writing this book?
5. Why does the author state that he initially was compelled to write this story?
6. How does Ernie describe his friend's funeral?
7. What is the layout of the village of Jalco?
8. What does the author's language and description of Jalco seem to emphasize?
9. Describe Ernie's cottage.
10. What does Dosa Eduvijes do and why?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)