|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the only way that Jalcocotbn is reachable?
(a) By steep, rocky trails.
(b) By a narrow canyon trail.
(c) By boat.
(d) By an underground cave system.
2. Besides "rooster" what does the Spanish word gallo mean?
3. What nation did General Porfirio Diaz fight in war, leading to his becoming president?
(a) United States.
4. What is the importance of the city of Jalcocotbn to the author?
(a) He attended high school there.
(b) He was born there.
(c) He wants to move there some day.
(d) He went to college there.
5. What is the name of the time when Indian tribes had their own system of authority?
(a) Before the conquest.
(b) The time of the Aztecs.
(c) Pre-columbian era.
(d) The time of old.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is suggested after the author's stories circulate at a scholarly meeting?
2. What kind of animal is Relbmpago?
3. What type of wildlife is the forest around Jalcocotbn heavily populated with?
4. What similarity can be seen between Coronel and Don Catarino?
5. How much older than Ernie is Josy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the Galarzas as they arrive in the U.S.?
2. What presence do Americans have in the barrio?
3. What is Ernie's experience with music in the barrio?
4. How is Jalcocotbn described in Part One, Section 1?
5. What role does the forest play to the residents of Jalco?
6. What is the connection between the words Gallo and chicken and men and women?
7. How does Ernie describe his friend's funeral?
8. What is one of the signs of manhood Ernie describes?
9. How does Ernie describe the Devil's Backbone?
10. How does the author describe his relatives in Jalco?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)