|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the time when Indian tribes had their own system of authority?
(a) Pre-columbian era.
(b) Before the conquest.
(c) The time of old.
(d) The time of the Aztecs.
2. The use of what words in Part One, Section 4 can be seen as adding to the sense of division between men and women?
(a) Chicken and buzzard.
(b) Small and large.
(c) Gallo and chicken.
(d) Brave and scared.
3. What is the only way that Jalcocotbn is reachable?
(a) By a narrow canyon trail.
(b) By an underground cave system.
(c) By boat.
(d) By steep, rocky trails.
4. What is it that provides an escape route for Jalcocotbn should an attack occur?
(a) A hidden cove on the coast line housing hidden boats.
(b) A hidden path through the forest.
(c) A small tunnel that is in the side of the rocky hills.
(d) A secret path leading up to the mountains.
5. According to the author in Section 1, what is the psychological importance of the story?
(a) That the story sheds light on the pysche of adolescents.
(b) The fact that this story could help others overcome tramatic experiences.
(c) That the story communicates the equality of all humans.
(d) The desire to communicate his confidence in his self-image as a Mexican immigrant.
Short Answer Questions
1. What slang term for cowardly is used by Ernie's mother in Part One, Section 4?
2. How many school are there in the village of Jalcocotbn?
3. What is the name of the stream that runs through Jalcocotbn?
4. When is pinole used?
5. How does Ernie respond when he sees the rooster trying to mate with a hen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the author state that he initially was compelled to write this story?
2. What does the author's language and description of Jalco seem to emphasize?
3. What are the historical and psychological reasons for the author writing this book?
4. How does Ernie describe his friend's funeral?
5. What are the government and religious institutions like in Jalco?
6. What is the arroyo and what is it used for?
7. How does Ernie describe the various animals in Part One, Section 3?
8. What is the Lopez family's opinion of and experience with the priest?
9. What is the educational system like in Jalco?
10. What does Coronel's protection of the hens reinforce for Ernie?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)