|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of wildlife is the forest around Jalcocotbn heavily populated with?
(d) Jungle cats.
2. What similarity can be seen between Coronel and Don Catarino?
(a) They are both loud.
(b) They are both very intelligent.
(c) They are both the head of their "households."
(d) They are both quick.
3. How is the history of Jalco kept?
(a) Word of mouth.
4. According to the author, who originally settled this mountain village?
(a) Indian ancestors.
(b) Spanish conquistadors.
(c) Immigrants from Central America.
(d) American settlers in the West.
5. Which of the following can offer the village people protection from the devil?
(a) All answers are correct.
(b) The sign of the cross.
(c) Our Lady of Talpa.
(d) Holy water.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Dosa Eduvijes sit when she is ready to tell her tales?
2. What does Ernie call his Aunt Ester?
3. What is the central theme of Cleofas' version of Jalco's history?
4. What did the Spaniards do to some of the Indians when they came to Mexico?
5. Who comments that buzzards are "chickens"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the educational system like in Jalco?
2. What does Coronel's protection of the hens reinforce for Ernie?
3. How does the author describe his relatives in Jalco?
4. How does Catarino's opinion about Coronel's fight affect Ernie?
5. What does the author's language and description of Jalco seem to emphasize?
6. How does Ernie react when he sees Coronel mating with the hen?
7. What is music in Jalco like and used for?
8. How does Ernie describe his friend's funeral?
9. How did Jalco come to exists?
10. From Ernie's description of Jalco, what does the daily lifestyle seem like in the village?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)