|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the only way that Jalcocotbn is reachable?
(a) By steep, rocky trails.
(b) By boat.
(c) By an underground cave system.
(d) By a narrow canyon trail.
2. According to the author in Section 1, what is the psychological importance of the story?
(a) That the story sheds light on the pysche of adolescents.
(b) That the story communicates the equality of all humans.
(c) The desire to communicate his confidence in his self-image as a Mexican immigrant.
(d) The fact that this story could help others overcome tramatic experiences.
3. What profession is Ernie interested in in Part One, Section 5?
(b) Letter writing.
4. What reassurance does Ernie's mother give him about the rooster.
(a) That he is the bravest rooster in the area.
(b) That he will not hurt Ernie.
(c) That he will not hurt the chickens.
(d) That he is a smart animal.
5. How does Ernie learn to roast coffee beans?
(a) In a large kettle.
(b) On the comal.
(c) Quickly so that they do not turn brown.
(d) WIth patience and love.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author in Section 1, what is the historical importance of the story?
2. What do Jalco children learn by having others who are not their parents discipline them?
3. What is the importance of the city of Jalcocotbn to the author?
4. How many school are there in the village of Jalcocotbn?
5. What does the Lopez family seem to think the priests are more preoccupied with than saving souls?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the historical and psychological reasons for the author writing this book?
2. What does Coronel's protection of the hens reinforce for Ernie?
3. How is Jalcocotbn described in Part One, Section 1?
4. What is the Lopez family's opinion of and experience with the priest?
5. What is the layout of the village of Jalco?
6. From Ernie's description of Jalco, what does the daily lifestyle seem like in the village?
7. How does Ernie describe the various animals in Part One, Section 3?
8. How does Catarino's opinion about Coronel's fight affect Ernie?
9. What is pinole and what is it for?
10. What is the arroyo and what is it used for?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)