|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two items was Ernie's mother allowed to keep after the divorce?
(a) Her burro and her silver ring.
(b) Her ring and her sewing machine.
(c) Her car and her piano.
(d) Her locket and her son.
2. What does Cleofas consider as a basic human right?
(a) The right to marry whoever you choose.
(b) A person's right to have an education.
(c) A man's freedom to work for himself.
(d) Access to clean water.
3. What city is located about 40 kilometers away from Jalcocotbn?
(c) La Cuidad de Suenos.
4. What profession is Ernie interested in in Part One, Section 5?
(a) Letter writing.
5. The use of what words in Part One, Section 4 can be seen as adding to the sense of division between men and women?
(a) Chicken and buzzard.
(b) Gallo and chicken.
(c) Small and large.
(d) Brave and scared.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the history of Jalco kept?
2. Who is the beheaded hero that the men in the village sometimes sing about?
3. According to the author in Section 1, what is the psychological importance of the story?
4. Who is overheard saying that "nothing ever happens" in Jalcocotbn?
5. Where did Ernie's mother keep her knick-knacks and heirlooms?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ernie describe the various animals in Part One, Section 3?
2. How does Jalco keep its history alive?
3. What is music in Jalco like and used for?
4. What is the arroyo and what is it used for?
5. What does Coronel's protection of the hens reinforce for Ernie?
6. How is Jalcocotbn described in Part One, Section 1?
7. What are the historical and psychological reasons for the author writing this book?
8. What is the connection between the words Gallo and chicken and men and women?
9. How does Ernie describe his friend's funeral?
10. How is a child of 6 or older raised in Jalco?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)