|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many rooms does Ernie's new home in Jalco have?
2. What book does Ernie ask Mr. Howard to find for him?
(a) Tio Tonche.
(b) The Three Little Pigs.
(c) The Hardy Boys.
(d) Commentaries on the Common Law of England.
3. How does Ernie first learn about the physical differences between boys and girls?
(a) By reading magazines.
(b) By watching the girls bathe in the river.
(c) By hearing stories told by the older boys.
(d) By watching old black and white films.
4. Besides electricity, what other modern convenience does Ernie learn about when they arrive in Tucson?
(a) Street lights.
(b) Motor cars.
5. Who does Ernie work for in California?
(a) The milk man.
(b) The Chinese laundryman.
(c) His landlady.
(d) A nearby restaurant.
6. What does Ernie refer to his mother's sewing machine as?
(a) The Singer.
(b) The Ajax.
(c) The monster.
7. What part of Ernie's is sore from the long horse ride to Tepic?
(a) His head.
(b) His back.
(c) His groin.
(d) His rear.
8. What is the Plaza de Armas?
(a) Tepic's central plaza.
(b) The nearest church to Ernie's home.
(c) The main government building in Tepic.
(d) The street that Ernie lives on in Tepic.
9. Which of the following activities do Americans do that Ernie sees as strange?
(a) They leave their hats on while inside.
(b) They say "howdy."
(c) They grab each others hands and shake them.
(d) They chew on toothpicks.
10. What is the largest employer in the area when Ernie is living in Mazatlan?
(a) The large farms.
(b) The local quarry.
(c) The South Coast Railroad.
(d) La Cervecerna del Pacifico.
11. What does Ernie call the men who stand outside stores yelling their slogans?
(a) Street criers.
12. According to Part One, Sections 9 and 10, who is campaigning against Don Porfirio for the presidency?
(a) Don Marco Juan Villas.
(b) Don Francisco Madero.
(c) Don Roberto Vasquez.
(d) Don Miguel Caster.
13. How high are the sidewalks where Ernie lives in the Mazatlan?
(a) Six or seven feet above the street.
(b) There are no sidewalks where Ernie lives.
(c) Six inches high.
(d) A foot high.
14. What grade is Ernie in when he starts school in Mazatlan?
(a) Second grade.
(b) First grade.
(d) Third grade.
15. Where does Henriqueta hide her money when the soldiers come into town?
(a) Outside under the corral.
(b) In a hole in the ground.
(c) In a hole in the wall.
(d) In a loose floorboard.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what city does Gustavo go to find work?
2. What astronomical sight does Ernie mention seeing during his last year in Jalco?
3. Where do Ernie and Henriqueta finally arrive at the end of Part Three?
4. While staying in Acaponeta, where do Ernie and his mother spend Sunday afternoons?
5. Why is Ernie not allowed in the party for the poor children?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)