|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Ernie and Henriqueta finally arrive at the end of Part Three?
(a) El Rey Hotel.
(b) Hotel Espasol.
(c) San Francisco.
(d) Gustavo's house.
2. To what city does Gustavo go to find work?
(b) Mexico City.
(c) El Cajon.
3. What do Don Porfirio's mounted police tell the Lopez family they are to do for the troops coming to the village?
(a) They are to pay them their taxes.
(b) They are to make them breakfast.
(c) They are to do whatever they ask.
(d) They are to come out and cheer for them.
4. Where does Henriqueta's cousin suggest she save her money?
(a) In the bank.
(b) With her cousin in a secret place.
(c) With the church.
(d) Under her floorboards.
5. What is a capataz?
(a) A sheriff.
(b) A farm supervisor.
(c) A small woolen hat.
(d) A dangerous animal.
6. What is Leandro Valle?
(a) The name of Ernie's neighbor.
(b) The street Ernie lives on.
(c) One of the neighborhoods in Mazatlan.
(d) The name of Ernie's best friend in Mazatlan.
7. How do Catarino and Gustavo think Nerun got sick?
(a) Heart worms.
(b) By eating a sick animal.
(d) By being bitten by a rabid animal.
8. Who are the only individuals Ernie and Henriqueta socialize with while they stay in Tucson?
(a) The family that lives across from them.
(b) The old couple they are renting a room from.
(c) The mailman that comes by once a day.
(d) The father of the local church.
9. How does Ernie react when he sees the American soldiers helping people off the train?
(a) He is overjoyed.
(b) He is frightened.
(c) He thinks it is exciting.
(d) He is angry at the soldiers.
10. What does Ernie call the men who stand outside stores yelling their slogans?
(d) Street criers.
11. What does Josy call the guerrilla soldiers that live in the mountains?
12. Why is Ernie not allowed in the party for the poor children?
(a) Because he is not dirty and must not be poor.
(b) Because he has not combed his hair.
(c) Because he is wearing shoes.
(d) Because he did not have an invitation.
13. According to Part One, Sections 9 and 10, who is campaigning against Don Porfirio for the presidency?
(a) Don Marco Juan Villas.
(b) Don Miguel Caster.
(c) Don Francisco Madero.
(d) Don Roberto Vasquez.
14. What sign tells Ernie and Henriqueta that Josy has had a successful day of work when he returns home?
(a) He is whistling.
(b) He is smiling.
(c) He is singing.
(d) He is dancing.
15. What book does Ernie ask Mr. Howard to find for him?
(a) Tio Tonche.
(b) Commentaries on the Common Law of England.
(c) The Three Little Pigs.
(d) The Hardy Boys.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who shoots at Josy as he leaves his job building stone markers?
2. What astronomical sight does Ernie mention seeing during his last year in Jalco?
3. What part of Ernie's is sore from the long horse ride to Tepic?
4. Where do Ernie and his family stay the first night of their travels to Tepic?
5. Why are the Lopez's held at Angel Island when they come by boat to the U.S?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)