|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Henriqueta where else did Christopher Columbus discover besides the U.S.?
2. What does Ernie notice about Juan-Chon when he sees him on the train to the U.S?
(a) That he is not wearing shoes.
(b) That his braid is missing.
(c) That his face is bruised.
(d) That he is limping.
3. What must a boy do before he can begin the courtship process?
(a) Leave his parents home and build his own.
(b) Gain land.
(c) Be saved by the holy church.
(d) Learn to work as his father does.
4. What role do the younger boys play when the older boys allow them to play bullfights with them?
(a) The matadores.
(b) The picadores.
(d) The bull.
5. What is tied between the horns of the steer skull when the boys play bullfights?
(a) A flower.
(b) A piece of rope.
(c) A red ribbon.
(d) A cactus leaf.
6. What are haciendas?
(a) Open fields.
(b) Commercial farms.
(c) Small communities.
7. How high are the sidewalks where Ernie lives in the Mazatlan?
(a) Six or seven feet above the street.
(b) There are no sidewalks where Ernie lives.
(c) Six inches high.
(d) A foot high.
8. What do Don Porfirio's mounted police tell the Lopez family they are to do for the troops coming to the village?
(a) They are to come out and cheer for them.
(b) They are to pay them their taxes.
(c) They are to make them breakfast.
(d) They are to do whatever they ask.
9. Where do Ernie and his family stay the first night of their travels to Tepic?
(a) A rancho.
(b) A refugee camp.
(c) In a cave.
(d) In a motel.
10. Where do Ernie and his mother go to get away from the sounds of the city?
(a) The Alameda.
(b) A small town north of Tepic.
(d) Their apartment.
11. What is Leandro Valle?
(a) One of the neighborhoods in Mazatlan.
(b) The street Ernie lives on.
(c) The name of Ernie's best friend in Mazatlan.
(d) The name of Ernie's neighbor.
12. What type of job does Josy hold in Tepic?
(a) He works in construction.
(b) He is a day laborer.
(c) He is a delivery boy.
(d) He is a cart driver.
13. At what age do the boys in the village begin taking on manual labor?
(a) 9 or 10 years old.
(b) 4 years old.
(c) 5 or 6 years old.
(d) 12 years old.
14. How does Henriqueta contribute to the family income while in Mazatlan?
(a) By sewing and mending.
(b) By teaching at a neighborhood school.
(c) By nannying.
(d) By washing other clothes.
15. Where is Ernie when his mother returns home at night from helping attend to a sick person?
(a) Sitting at the dinner table.
(b) Hiding under his bed.
(c) At the well.
(d) Playing outside in the dark.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ernie refer to his mother's sewing machine as?
2. What animals does Catarino bring back home with him from work in Part Two, Section 1?
3. How do many of the neighborhood residents view doctors in Mazatlan?
4. Who is it that kills Nerun because he is sick?
5. When are boys responsible for completing traditionally feminine chores?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)