|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What example does Ernie give that shows there are safety concerns in Tepic?
(a) Ernie's mother purchases a gun.
(b) Gustavo sleeps with a knife near his bed.
(c) The landlady bars the doors of the patio at night.
(d) Everyone is in their homes by twilight.
2. Which of the following activities do Americans do that Ernie sees as strange?
(a) They leave their hats on while inside.
(b) They chew on toothpicks.
(c) They say "howdy."
(d) They grab each others hands and shake them.
3. How does the Old Gentleman signal to Ernie that he should come over and help with his tie?
(a) By stomping on the floor.
(b) By knocking on the wall.
(c) By calling for him.
(d) By sending him notes.
4. What role do the younger boys play when the older boys allow them to play bullfights with them?
(a) The bull.
(c) The matadores.
(d) The picadores.
5. What animals does Catarino bring back home with him from work in Part Two, Section 1?
(a) A horse and mule.
(b) A donkey and dog.
(c) A rooster and hen.
(d) A mule and dog.
6. Where do Ernie and Henriqueta finally arrive at the end of Part Three?
(a) Gustavo's house.
(b) San Francisco.
(c) El Rey Hotel.
(d) Hotel Espasol.
7. Which of the following characters contracts measles in Part Three of the story?
8. What does Ernie play with the light bulbs in his Tucson hotel room?
(b) Bright light.
(c) On off.
9. What astronomical sight does Ernie mention seeing during his last year in Jalco?
(a) Halley's Comet.
(b) Sighting of Venus.
(c) A lunar eclipse.
(d) A falling star.
10. Whose belonging have to be brought to the Lopez's home due to the flooding?
(a) Don Catalinio's.
(b) Don Evaristo's.
(c) Don Manuelo's.
(d) Don Guillermo's.
11. What is the name of the forest where the measles patients are quarantined in Part Three?
(a) El Capitan.
(b) El Marcho.
(c) El Nanchi.
(d) El Negro.
12. Where does Josy plan to meet Gustavo when they arrive in the U.S.?
(b) San Diego.
13. How do many of the neighborhood residents view doctors in Mazatlan?
(a) They like doctors but simply cannot afford to go to them.
(b) They are supicious of them and try to remedy themselves.
(c) They hate all doctors.
(d) They do not know what doctors are.
14. Where is Ernie when his mother returns home at night from helping attend to a sick person?
(a) Playing outside in the dark.
(b) At the well.
(c) Hiding under his bed.
(d) Sitting at the dinner table.
15. What type of instrument does Ernie buy from a pawnshop?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the largest employer in the area when Ernie is living in Mazatlan?
2. Who gets access to organized education in Tepic?
3. How does Ernie feel about sandwiches the first time he eats one?
4. Who comes through Jalco with news of Gustavo?
5. Which of the following roles do Americans not have in the barrio?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)