|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the forest where the measles patients are quarantined in Part Three?
(a) El Negro.
(b) El Capitan.
(c) El Marcho.
(d) El Nanchi.
2. What must a boy do before he can begin the courtship process?
(a) Be saved by the holy church.
(b) Leave his parents home and build his own.
(c) Gain land.
(d) Learn to work as his father does.
3. What is the most significant difference in daily chores that Ernie notes in Part Two, Section 1?
(a) How you cannot throw trash into the street in Tepic.
(b) How laundry and bathing are done in tubs.
(c) That there are no chickens to care for.
(d) That Ernie must do "girl" chores now.
4. While staying in Acaponeta, where do Ernie and his mother spend Sunday afternoons?
(a) The orchard.
(c) The river.
(d) The market.
5. Why is Ernie not allowed in the party for the poor children?
(a) Because he is wearing shoes.
(b) Because he is not dirty and must not be poor.
(c) Because he did not have an invitation.
(d) Because he has not combed his hair.
6. What does Ernie refer to his mother's sewing machine as?
(b) The Ajax.
(c) The Singer.
(d) The monster.
7. Who is it that kills Nerun because he is sick?
8. What does Ernie's mother have him take to Juan-Chon while on the train?
(a) A piece of candy.
(b) A note.
(c) Something to drink.
(d) Two tacos.
9. Where do Ernie and Henriqueta finally arrive at the end of Part Three?
(a) San Francisco.
(b) El Rey Hotel.
(c) Hotel Espasol.
(d) Gustavo's house.
10. To what city does Gustavo go to find work?
(b) El Cajon.
(c) Mexico City.
11. What does Josy call the guerrilla soldiers that live in the mountains?
12. Which of the following characters contracts measles in Part Three of the story?
13. What is the largest employer in the area when Ernie is living in Mazatlan?
(a) The South Coast Railroad.
(b) La Cervecerna del Pacifico.
(c) The large farms.
(d) The local quarry.
14. Besides electricity, what other modern convenience does Ernie learn about when they arrive in Tucson?
(b) Street lights.
(d) Motor cars.
15. What do Don Porfirio's mounted police tell the Lopez family they are to do for the troops coming to the village?
(a) They are to come out and cheer for them.
(b) They are to do whatever they ask.
(c) They are to pay them their taxes.
(d) They are to make them breakfast.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what age do the boys in the village begin taking on manual labor?
2. What are haciendas?
3. What is Leandro Valle?
4. What is the Plaza de Armas?
5. What does Ernie notice about Juan-Chon when he sees him on the train to the U.S?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)