|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the most dangerous part of the family's journey to Tepic?
(a) The devil's backbone.
(b) The dark path.
(c) The dead saints highway.
(d) The spine.
2. What does Josy call the guerrilla soldiers that live in the mountains?
3. What treat does Ernie buy from the vendors when his mother gives him money?
(a) A brown sugar stick.
(b) Pan dulce.
(d) Mango and chili powder.
4. What type of instrument does Ernie buy from a pawnshop?
5. At what age do the boys in the village begin taking on manual labor?
(a) 4 years old.
(b) 9 or 10 years old.
(c) 12 years old.
(d) 5 or 6 years old.
6. Who does Ernie work for in California?
(a) The Chinese laundryman.
(b) The milk man.
(c) A nearby restaurant.
(d) His landlady.
7. What does Ernie refer to his mother's sewing machine as?
(a) The monster.
(b) The Singer.
(c) The Ajax.
8. Ernie comments that the world is made of two types of men, those on horseback and what other type of men?
(a) Those in government.
(b) Those with money.
(c) Those on foot.
(d) Those on their knees.
9. What does Ernie play with the light bulbs in his Tucson hotel room?
(a) On off.
(d) Bright light.
10. Which of the following characters contracts measles in Part Three of the story?
11. What is Leandro Valle?
(a) The name of Ernie's best friend in Mazatlan.
(b) The name of Ernie's neighbor.
(c) One of the neighborhoods in Mazatlan.
(d) The street Ernie lives on.
12. Where do the children play bullfight?
(a) In the pasture.
(b) In the plaza.
(c) By the river.
(d) In the corrals.
13. What is the largest employer in the area when Ernie is living in Mazatlan?
(a) The local quarry.
(b) The South Coast Railroad.
(c) La Cervecerna del Pacifico.
(d) The large farms.
14. What is a capataz?
(a) A dangerous animal.
(b) A sheriff.
(c) A small woolen hat.
(d) A farm supervisor.
15. What is the most significant difference in daily chores that Ernie notes in Part Two, Section 1?
(a) That there are no chickens to care for.
(b) That Ernie must do "girl" chores now.
(c) How you cannot throw trash into the street in Tepic.
(d) How laundry and bathing are done in tubs.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following roles do Americans not have in the barrio?
2. Who is the gang leader of the boys of the brewery?
3. Between what ages do young men in Jalco ask for a girl's hand in marriage?
4. How do Catarino and Gustavo think Nerun got sick?
5. While staying in Acaponeta, where do Ernie and his mother spend Sunday afternoons?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)