|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Josy call the guerrilla soldiers that live in the mountains?
2. Where do Ernie and his family stay the first night of their travels to Tepic?
(a) A refugee camp.
(b) In a motel.
(c) A rancho.
(d) In a cave.
3. What is Leandro Valle?
(a) The name of Ernie's neighbor.
(b) The name of Ernie's best friend in Mazatlan.
(c) One of the neighborhoods in Mazatlan.
(d) The street Ernie lives on.
4. What type of instrument does Ernie buy from a pawnshop?
5. Which of the following characters contracts measles in Part Three of the story?
6. According to Part One, Sections 9 and 10, who is campaigning against Don Porfirio for the presidency?
(a) Don Francisco Madero.
(b) Don Roberto Vasquez.
(c) Don Miguel Caster.
(d) Don Marco Juan Villas.
7. How does Henriqueta contribute to the family income while in Mazatlan?
(a) By sewing and mending.
(b) By teaching at a neighborhood school.
(c) By nannying.
(d) By washing other clothes.
8. Where do the children play bullfight?
(a) In the pasture.
(b) By the river.
(c) In the plaza.
(d) In the corrals.
9. How do Catarino and Gustavo think Nerun got sick?
(a) By being bitten by a rabid animal.
(b) By eating a sick animal.
(d) Heart worms.
10. What example does Ernie give that shows there are safety concerns in Tepic?
(a) Ernie's mother purchases a gun.
(b) Gustavo sleeps with a knife near his bed.
(c) The landlady bars the doors of the patio at night.
(d) Everyone is in their homes by twilight.
11. What type of food does the restaurant where Ernie works serve?
(b) Pork stew.
(c) Garbanzo chower.
12. What does Ernie call the men who stand outside stores yelling their slogans?
(d) Street criers.
13. What two things are the soldiers looking for when they come to Jalco?
(a) Alcohol and weapons.
(b) Weapons and young men.
(c) Criminals and alcohol.
(d) Gold and weapons.
14. At what age do the boys in the village begin taking on manual labor?
(a) 9 or 10 years old.
(b) 12 years old.
(c) 5 or 6 years old.
(d) 4 years old.
15. To what city does Gustavo go to find work?
(c) Mexico City.
(d) El Cajon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the boy Ernie runs against in the mock election?
2. What is the name of the forest where the measles patients are quarantined in Part Three?
3. What is a capataz?
4. What is the largest employer in the area when Ernie is living in Mazatlan?
5. Which of the following roles do Americans not have in the barrio?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)