|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a capataz?
(a) A farm supervisor.
(b) A small woolen hat.
(c) A dangerous animal.
(d) A sheriff.
2. Between what ages do young men in Jalco ask for a girl's hand in marriage?
(a) Between 12 to 16 years old.
(b) Between 21 and 26 years old.
(c) Between 16 to 18 years old.
(d) Between 18 to 21 years old.
3. Who comes through Jalco with news of Gustavo?
(b) A man who used to live in Jalco too.
(c) A soldier.
(d) A traveling salesman.
4. Where do Ernie and his family stay the first night of their travels to Tepic?
(a) A refugee camp.
(b) In a motel.
(c) In a cave.
(d) A rancho.
5. What role do the younger boys play when the older boys allow them to play bullfights with them?
(a) The matadores.
(b) The picadores.
(d) The bull.
6. What astronomical sight does Ernie mention seeing during his last year in Jalco?
(a) Sighting of Venus.
(b) Halley's Comet.
(c) A lunar eclipse.
(d) A falling star.
7. What two things are the soldiers looking for when they come to Jalco?
(a) Criminals and alcohol.
(b) Weapons and young men.
(c) Alcohol and weapons.
(d) Gold and weapons.
8. How many rooms does Ernie's new home in Jalco have?
9. What sign tells Ernie and Henriqueta that Josy has had a successful day of work when he returns home?
(a) He is smiling.
(b) He is singing.
(c) He is whistling.
(d) He is dancing.
10. How does the Old Gentleman signal to Ernie that he should come over and help with his tie?
(a) By knocking on the wall.
(b) By stomping on the floor.
(c) By sending him notes.
(d) By calling for him.
11. What type of instrument does Ernie buy from a pawnshop?
12. Through whose story does Ernie explain the traditional way a boy learns his fathers work?
13. Which of the following characters contracts measles in Part Three of the story?
14. Who gets access to organized education in Tepic?
(a) Only the children of the rich.
(b) Only boys.
(d) Only those going into the church.
15. When are boys responsible for completing traditionally feminine chores?
(a) Only when there are no girls in the household.
(b) Whenever they are misbehaving.
(d) There are no traditionally feminine chores.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Henriqueta where else did Christopher Columbus discover besides the U.S.?
2. What type of job does Josy hold in Tepic?
3. What does Ernie play with the light bulbs in his Tucson hotel room?
4. What does Josy call the guerrilla soldiers that live in the mountains?
5. While staying in Acaponeta, where do Ernie and his mother spend Sunday afternoons?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)