|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Besides electricity, what other modern convenience does Ernie learn about when they arrive in Tucson?
(a) Motor cars.
(d) Street lights.
2. What has caused the creek near Jalco to overflow?
(b) A huge snow melt.
(c) Hurricane rains.
(d) A broken dam.
3. How does Ernie react when he sees the American soldiers helping people off the train?
(a) He is frightened.
(b) He is overjoyed.
(c) He is angry at the soldiers.
(d) He thinks it is exciting.
4. What animals does Catarino bring back home with him from work in Part Two, Section 1?
(a) A rooster and hen.
(b) A horse and mule.
(c) A donkey and dog.
(d) A mule and dog.
5. Where do Ernie and his family stay the first night of their travels to Tepic?
(a) A refugee camp.
(b) A rancho.
(c) In a motel.
(d) In a cave.
6. What is the name of the boy Ernie runs against in the mock election?
7. Who does Ernie work for in California?
(a) A nearby restaurant.
(b) His landlady.
(c) The Chinese laundryman.
(d) The milk man.
8. How does the Old Gentleman signal to Ernie that he should come over and help with his tie?
(a) By knocking on the wall.
(b) By sending him notes.
(c) By stomping on the floor.
(d) By calling for him.
9. How many rooms does Ernie's new home in Jalco have?
10. What is the name of the most dangerous part of the family's journey to Tepic?
(a) The spine.
(b) The dark path.
(c) The devil's backbone.
(d) The dead saints highway.
11. What must a boy do before he can begin the courtship process?
(a) Leave his parents home and build his own.
(b) Gain land.
(c) Be saved by the holy church.
(d) Learn to work as his father does.
12. What do Don Porfirio's mounted police tell the Lopez family they are to do for the troops coming to the village?
(a) They are to come out and cheer for them.
(b) They are to make them breakfast.
(c) They are to do whatever they ask.
(d) They are to pay them their taxes.
13. Where does Josy plan to meet Gustavo when they arrive in the U.S.?
(a) San Diego.
14. What sign tells Ernie and Henriqueta that Josy has had a successful day of work when he returns home?
(a) He is dancing.
(b) He is smiling.
(c) He is whistling.
(d) He is singing.
15. Who comes through Jalco with news of Gustavo?
(a) A soldier.
(b) A man who used to live in Jalco too.
(c) A traveling salesman.
Short Answer Questions
1. While staying in Acaponeta, where do Ernie and his mother spend Sunday afternoons?
2. Why does Henriqueta give Ernie an emulsion called Wampole?
3. What does Ernie refer to his mother's sewing machine as?
4. How old is the landlady's helper in Tepic?
5. What type of job does Josy hold in Tepic?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)