|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Ernie not allowed in the party for the poor children?
(a) Because he is not dirty and must not be poor.
(b) Because he is wearing shoes.
(c) Because he did not have an invitation.
(d) Because he has not combed his hair.
2. At what age do the boys in the village begin taking on manual labor?
(a) 12 years old.
(b) 4 years old.
(c) 5 or 6 years old.
(d) 9 or 10 years old.
3. What does Josy call the guerrilla soldiers that live in the mountains?
4. What does Ernie call the men who stand outside stores yelling their slogans?
(d) Street criers.
5. Who are the only individuals Ernie and Henriqueta socialize with while they stay in Tucson?
(a) The mailman that comes by once a day.
(b) The father of the local church.
(c) The old couple they are renting a room from.
(d) The family that lives across from them.
6. Which of the following activities do Americans do that Ernie sees as strange?
(a) They grab each others hands and shake them.
(b) They say "howdy."
(c) They chew on toothpicks.
(d) They leave their hats on while inside.
7. Where do Ernie and Henriqueta finally arrive at the end of Part Three?
(a) San Francisco.
(b) Gustavo's house.
(c) El Rey Hotel.
(d) Hotel Espasol.
8. How does Ernie feel about sandwiches the first time he eats one?
(a) He thinks it is distasteful.
(b) He is indifferent.
(c) It makes him sick.
(d) He loves it.
9. Which of the following roles do Americans not have in the barrio?
(c) Rent collectors.
10. What is tied between the horns of the steer skull when the boys play bullfights?
(a) A flower.
(b) A cactus leaf.
(c) A red ribbon.
(d) A piece of rope.
11. How does Ernie first learn about the physical differences between boys and girls?
(a) By reading magazines.
(b) By watching old black and white films.
(c) By watching the girls bathe in the river.
(d) By hearing stories told by the older boys.
12. What part of Ernie's is sore from the long horse ride to Tepic?
(a) His back.
(b) His head.
(c) His rear.
(d) His groin.
13. How old is the landlady's helper in Tepic?
(a) 2 or 3 years older than Ernie.
(b) 25 years old.
(c) 1 year younger than Ernie.
(d) 14 years old.
14. What are haciendas?
(a) Small communities.
(b) Open fields.
(d) Commercial farms.
15. Who shoots at Josy as he leaves his job building stone markers?
(a) A pro-Madero soldier.
(b) The foreman of Josy's employer.
(c) A pro-Porfirio soldier.
(d) A bola.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Don Porfirio's mounted police tell the Lopez family they are to do for the troops coming to the village?
2. Where do Ernie and his mother go to get away from the sounds of the city?
3. According to Part One, Sections 9 and 10, who is campaigning against Don Porfirio for the presidency?
4. What treat does Ernie buy from the vendors when his mother gives him money?
5. What is the term used for Mexicans that have grown up in California?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)