|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the term used for Mexicans that have grown up in California?
2. Who gets access to organized education in Tepic?
(b) Only those going into the church.
(c) Only boys.
(d) Only the children of the rich.
3. At what age do the boys in the village begin taking on manual labor?
(a) 4 years old.
(b) 9 or 10 years old.
(c) 12 years old.
(d) 5 or 6 years old.
4. What does Ernie notice about Juan-Chon when he sees him on the train to the U.S?
(a) That his braid is missing.
(b) That his face is bruised.
(c) That he is not wearing shoes.
(d) That he is limping.
5. What are haciendas?
(a) Small communities.
(b) Commercial farms.
(c) Open fields.
6. What is the name of the forest where the measles patients are quarantined in Part Three?
(a) El Nanchi.
(b) El Marcho.
(c) El Capitan.
(d) El Negro.
7. What sign tells Ernie and Henriqueta that Josy has had a successful day of work when he returns home?
(a) He is smiling.
(b) He is singing.
(c) He is whistling.
(d) He is dancing.
8. What is a capataz?
(a) A small woolen hat.
(b) A dangerous animal.
(c) A farm supervisor.
(d) A sheriff.
9. How old is the landlady's helper in Tepic?
(a) 14 years old.
(b) 1 year younger than Ernie.
(c) 25 years old.
(d) 2 or 3 years older than Ernie.
10. Ernie comments that the world is made of two types of men, those on horseback and what other type of men?
(a) Those on foot.
(b) Those in government.
(c) Those with money.
(d) Those on their knees.
11. What are the gray towers Ernie sees as he approaches Tepic?
(b) The old palace.
(c) A large government building.
(d) The cathedral.
12. How does Ernie react when he sees the American soldiers helping people off the train?
(a) He is overjoyed.
(b) He is angry at the soldiers.
(c) He thinks it is exciting.
(d) He is frightened.
13. Who does Ernie work for in California?
(a) The milk man.
(b) His landlady.
(c) A nearby restaurant.
(d) The Chinese laundryman.
14. Between what ages do young men in Jalco ask for a girl's hand in marriage?
(a) Between 16 to 18 years old.
(b) Between 18 to 21 years old.
(c) Between 12 to 16 years old.
(d) Between 21 and 26 years old.
15. Who shoots at Josy as he leaves his job building stone markers?
(a) The foreman of Josy's employer.
(b) A pro-Porfirio soldier.
(c) A pro-Madero soldier.
(d) A bola.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of food does the restaurant where Ernie works serve?
2. Where do Ernie and Henriqueta finally arrive at the end of Part Three?
3. What does Josy call the guerrilla soldiers that live in the mountains?
4. What American activity are the Mexican immigrants pleasantly surprised about?
5. What grade is Ernie in when he starts school in Mazatlan?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)