|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What must a boy do before he can begin the courtship process?
(a) Be saved by the holy church.
(b) Gain land.
(c) Learn to work as his father does.
(d) Leave his parents home and build his own.
2. What is the largest employer in the area when Ernie is living in Mazatlan?
(a) La Cervecerna del Pacifico.
(b) The South Coast Railroad.
(c) The large farms.
(d) The local quarry.
3. What is the name of the most dangerous part of the family's journey to Tepic?
(a) The spine.
(b) The dark path.
(c) The dead saints highway.
(d) The devil's backbone.
4. How does Ernie react when he sees the American soldiers helping people off the train?
(a) He is angry at the soldiers.
(b) He thinks it is exciting.
(c) He is frightened.
(d) He is overjoyed.
5. When are boys responsible for completing traditionally feminine chores?
(b) Whenever they are misbehaving.
(c) Only when there are no girls in the household.
(d) There are no traditionally feminine chores.
6. What two things are the soldiers looking for when they come to Jalco?
(a) Gold and weapons.
(b) Weapons and young men.
(c) Criminals and alcohol.
(d) Alcohol and weapons.
7. Why are the Lopez's held at Angel Island when they come by boat to the U.S?
(a) Because that is as far as the boat goes.
(b) Because they are criminals.
(c) Because that is where they requested to be dropped off.
(d) Because they are in quarantine.
8. What type of instrument does Ernie buy from a pawnshop?
9. Whose belonging have to be brought to the Lopez's home due to the flooding?
(a) Don Catalinio's.
(b) Don Manuelo's.
(c) Don Evaristo's.
(d) Don Guillermo's.
10. Which animals did Ernie's family leave behind in Jalco?
(b) All answers are right.
(c) The hens.
11. What is the name of the boy Ernie runs against in the mock election?
12. How do many of the neighborhood residents view doctors in Mazatlan?
(a) They hate all doctors.
(b) They do not know what doctors are.
(c) They like doctors but simply cannot afford to go to them.
(d) They are supicious of them and try to remedy themselves.
13. Why is Ernie not allowed in the party for the poor children?
(a) Because he is not dirty and must not be poor.
(b) Because he is wearing shoes.
(c) Because he has not combed his hair.
(d) Because he did not have an invitation.
14. What is a capataz?
(a) A dangerous animal.
(b) A sheriff.
(c) A farm supervisor.
(d) A small woolen hat.
15. What animals does Catarino bring back home with him from work in Part Two, Section 1?
(a) A mule and dog.
(b) A donkey and dog.
(c) A rooster and hen.
(d) A horse and mule.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has caused the creek near Jalco to overflow?
2. What type of job does Josy hold in Tepic?
3. According to Henriqueta where else did Christopher Columbus discover besides the U.S.?
4. How does Ernie first learn about the physical differences between boys and girls?
5. How many rooms does Ernie's new home in Jalco have?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)