|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ernie refer to his mother's sewing machine as?
(a) The Ajax.
(b) The Singer.
(c) The monster.
2. Who comes through Jalco with news of Gustavo?
(a) A traveling salesman.
(c) A man who used to live in Jalco too.
(d) A soldier.
3. Who shoots at Josy as he leaves his job building stone markers?
(a) A bola.
(b) A pro-Madero soldier.
(c) A pro-Porfirio soldier.
(d) The foreman of Josy's employer.
4. Where does Henriqueta's cousin suggest she save her money?
(a) With her cousin in a secret place.
(b) In the bank.
(c) Under her floorboards.
(d) With the church.
5. What is the name of the boy Ernie runs against in the mock election?
6. What treat does Ernie buy from the vendors when his mother gives him money?
(a) A brown sugar stick.
(b) Pan dulce.
(c) Mango and chili powder.
7. What is the largest employer in the area when Ernie is living in Mazatlan?
(a) La Cervecerna del Pacifico.
(b) The South Coast Railroad.
(c) The large farms.
(d) The local quarry.
8. To what city does Gustavo go to find work?
(b) El Cajon.
(d) Mexico City.
9. How does Ernie refer to his new apartment in Part Four?
(a) The room.
(c) 418 L.
(d) El Como.
10. When are boys responsible for completing traditionally feminine chores?
(a) Whenever they are misbehaving.
(c) There are no traditionally feminine chores.
(d) Only when there are no girls in the household.
11. Whose belonging have to be brought to the Lopez's home due to the flooding?
(a) Don Manuelo's.
(b) Don Catalinio's.
(c) Don Evaristo's.
(d) Don Guillermo's.
12. In Part Four, about how many tenants are there in Ernie's apartment building?
13. Who is it that kills Nerun because he is sick?
14. Why is Ernie not allowed in the party for the poor children?
(a) Because he is wearing shoes.
(b) Because he is not dirty and must not be poor.
(c) Because he has not combed his hair.
(d) Because he did not have an invitation.
15. What part of Ernie's is sore from the long horse ride to Tepic?
(a) His groin.
(b) His head.
(c) His rear.
(d) His back.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are the Lopez's held at Angel Island when they come by boat to the U.S?
2. Ernie comments that the world is made of two types of men, those on horseback and what other type of men?
3. What is the Plaza de Armas?
4. What type of instrument does Ernie buy from a pawnshop?
5. What is the term used for Mexicans that have grown up in California?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)