|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of instrument does Ernie buy from a pawnshop?
2. What sign tells Ernie and Henriqueta that Josy has had a successful day of work when he returns home?
(a) He is smiling.
(b) He is singing.
(c) He is dancing.
(d) He is whistling.
3. What do Don Porfirio's mounted police tell the Lopez family they are to do for the troops coming to the village?
(a) They are to come out and cheer for them.
(b) They are to make them breakfast.
(c) They are to do whatever they ask.
(d) They are to pay them their taxes.
4. Where does Henriqueta hide her money when the soldiers come into town?
(a) In a loose floorboard.
(b) In a hole in the ground.
(c) In a hole in the wall.
(d) Outside under the corral.
5. What American activity are the Mexican immigrants pleasantly surprised about?
(a) The rock n' roll music.
(b) The surprising amount of community activities.
(c) Trash collection.
(d) The Americans' laughter.
6. What do the wooden crosses that Ernie sees on his journey to Tepic mean?
(a) They remind travelers to pray.
(b) They mark spots where other travelers have died.
(c) The show where churches once stood.
(d) They represent saints that watch over travelers' safety.
7. How many rooms does Ernie's new home in Jalco have?
8. Who is the gang leader of the boys of the brewery?
(a) El Huilo.
(b) El Wampole.
(c) El Perico.
(d) El Mercado.
9. How does Ernie first learn about the physical differences between boys and girls?
(a) By reading magazines.
(b) By watching the girls bathe in the river.
(c) By watching old black and white films.
(d) By hearing stories told by the older boys.
10. Where is Ernie when his mother returns home at night from helping attend to a sick person?
(a) At the well.
(b) Playing outside in the dark.
(c) Hiding under his bed.
(d) Sitting at the dinner table.
11. What type of food does the restaurant where Ernie works serve?
(a) Garbanzo chower.
(c) Pork stew.
12. What treat does Ernie buy from the vendors when his mother gives him money?
(a) Pan dulce.
(b) Mango and chili powder.
(c) A brown sugar stick.
13. What does Ernie play with the light bulbs in his Tucson hotel room?
(b) Bright light.
(d) On off.
14. What type of job does Josy hold in Tepic?
(a) He works in construction.
(b) He is a cart driver.
(c) He is a day laborer.
(d) He is a delivery boy.
15. According to Part One, Sections 9 and 10, who is campaigning against Don Porfirio for the presidency?
(a) Don Roberto Vasquez.
(b) Don Miguel Caster.
(c) Don Francisco Madero.
(d) Don Marco Juan Villas.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Henriqueta where else did Christopher Columbus discover besides the U.S.?
2. What does Josy call the guerrilla soldiers that live in the mountains?
3. Where do Ernie and Henriqueta finally arrive at the end of Part Three?
4. What has caused the creek near Jalco to overflow?
5. How does the Old Gentleman signal to Ernie that he should come over and help with his tie?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)