|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two things are the soldiers looking for when they come to Jalco?
(a) Weapons and young men.
(b) Criminals and alcohol.
(c) Gold and weapons.
(d) Alcohol and weapons.
2. What is the most significant difference in daily chores that Ernie notes in Part Two, Section 1?
(a) How you cannot throw trash into the street in Tepic.
(b) That Ernie must do "girl" chores now.
(c) How laundry and bathing are done in tubs.
(d) That there are no chickens to care for.
3. What is the name of the boy Ernie runs against in the mock election?
4. Who are the only individuals Ernie and Henriqueta socialize with while they stay in Tucson?
(a) The family that lives across from them.
(b) The mailman that comes by once a day.
(c) The old couple they are renting a room from.
(d) The father of the local church.
5. According to Henriqueta where else did Christopher Columbus discover besides the U.S.?
6. Through whose story does Ernie explain the traditional way a boy learns his fathers work?
7. Where is Ernie when his mother returns home at night from helping attend to a sick person?
(a) Sitting at the dinner table.
(b) Playing outside in the dark.
(c) Hiding under his bed.
(d) At the well.
8. What book does Ernie ask Mr. Howard to find for him?
(a) Commentaries on the Common Law of England.
(b) The Hardy Boys.
(c) The Three Little Pigs.
(d) Tio Tonche.
9. Ernie comments that the world is made of two types of men, those on horseback and what other type of men?
(a) Those on their knees.
(b) Those on foot.
(c) Those with money.
(d) Those in government.
10. What is the name of the most dangerous part of the family's journey to Tepic?
(a) The dark path.
(b) The devil's backbone.
(c) The dead saints highway.
(d) The spine.
11. What is the name of the forest where the measles patients are quarantined in Part Three?
(a) El Negro.
(b) El Capitan.
(c) El Marcho.
(d) El Nanchi.
12. Where do the children play bullfight?
(a) In the pasture.
(b) By the river.
(c) In the corrals.
(d) In the plaza.
13. How high are the sidewalks where Ernie lives in the Mazatlan?
(a) Six inches high.
(b) A foot high.
(c) There are no sidewalks where Ernie lives.
(d) Six or seven feet above the street.
14. Who is it that kills Nerun because he is sick?
15. What type of food does the restaurant where Ernie works serve?
(a) Garbanzo chower.
(b) Pork stew.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Henriqueta contribute to the family income while in Mazatlan?
2. Between what ages do young men in Jalco ask for a girl's hand in marriage?
3. Who does Ernie work for in California?
4. How does Ernie refer to his new apartment in Part Four?
5. What example does Ernie give that shows there are safety concerns in Tepic?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)