|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ernie first learn about the physical differences between boys and girls?
(a) By watching the girls bathe in the river.
(b) By reading magazines.
(c) By hearing stories told by the older boys.
(d) By watching old black and white films.
2. What is tied between the horns of the steer skull when the boys play bullfights?
(a) A piece of rope.
(b) A red ribbon.
(c) A cactus leaf.
(d) A flower.
3. Which of the following roles do Americans not have in the barrio?
(c) Rent collectors.
4. When are boys responsible for completing traditionally feminine chores?
(b) There are no traditionally feminine chores.
(c) Only when there are no girls in the household.
(d) Whenever they are misbehaving.
5. Which of the following characters contracts measles in Part Three of the story?
6. What does Ernie notice about Juan-Chon when he sees him on the train to the U.S?
(a) That he is not wearing shoes.
(b) That his braid is missing.
(c) That his face is bruised.
(d) That he is limping.
7. What sign tells Ernie and Henriqueta that Josy has had a successful day of work when he returns home?
(a) He is smiling.
(b) He is dancing.
(c) He is whistling.
(d) He is singing.
8. How does Ernie feel about sandwiches the first time he eats one?
(a) It makes him sick.
(b) He thinks it is distasteful.
(c) He is indifferent.
(d) He loves it.
9. Who is the gang leader of the boys of the brewery?
(a) El Mercado.
(b) El Perico.
(c) El Huilo.
(d) El Wampole.
10. Where is Ernie when his mother returns home at night from helping attend to a sick person?
(a) At the well.
(b) Sitting at the dinner table.
(c) Hiding under his bed.
(d) Playing outside in the dark.
11. How many rooms does Ernie's new home in Jalco have?
12. What treat does Ernie buy from the vendors when his mother gives him money?
(a) Pan dulce.
(b) Mango and chili powder.
(c) A brown sugar stick.
13. What are the gray towers Ernie sees as he approaches Tepic?
(a) The cathedral.
(b) A large government building.
(d) The old palace.
14. Where do the children play bullfight?
(a) By the river.
(b) In the plaza.
(c) In the pasture.
(d) In the corrals.
15. Besides electricity, what other modern convenience does Ernie learn about when they arrive in Tucson?
(a) Motor cars.
(c) Street lights.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ernie play with the light bulbs in his Tucson hotel room?
2. What does Ernie refer to his mother's sewing machine as?
3. What book does Ernie ask Mr. Howard to find for him?
4. Who does Ernie work for in California?
5. At what age do the boys in the village begin taking on manual labor?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)