|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the term used for Mexicans that have grown up in California?
2. What American activity are the Mexican immigrants pleasantly surprised about?
(a) The Americans' laughter.
(b) The rock n' roll music.
(c) Trash collection.
(d) The surprising amount of community activities.
3. How does Henriqueta contribute to the family income while in Mazatlan?
(a) By washing other clothes.
(b) By nannying.
(c) By teaching at a neighborhood school.
(d) By sewing and mending.
4. What is the largest employer in the area when Ernie is living in Mazatlan?
(a) The local quarry.
(b) La Cervecerna del Pacifico.
(c) The South Coast Railroad.
(d) The large farms.
5. In Part Four, about how many tenants are there in Ernie's apartment building?
6. According to Part One, Sections 9 and 10, who is campaigning against Don Porfirio for the presidency?
(a) Don Marco Juan Villas.
(b) Don Roberto Vasquez.
(c) Don Francisco Madero.
(d) Don Miguel Caster.
7. How do Catarino and Gustavo think Nerun got sick?
(a) By being bitten by a rabid animal.
(b) By eating a sick animal.
(d) Heart worms.
8. Where does Henriqueta's cousin suggest she save her money?
(a) Under her floorboards.
(b) In the bank.
(c) With the church.
(d) With her cousin in a secret place.
9. Where is Ernie when his mother returns home at night from helping attend to a sick person?
(a) Sitting at the dinner table.
(b) At the well.
(c) Playing outside in the dark.
(d) Hiding under his bed.
10. At what age do the boys in the village begin taking on manual labor?
(a) 5 or 6 years old.
(b) 4 years old.
(c) 12 years old.
(d) 9 or 10 years old.
11. What are haciendas?
(b) Small communities.
(c) Commercial farms.
(d) Open fields.
12. Ernie comments that the world is made of two types of men, those on horseback and what other type of men?
(a) Those in government.
(b) Those with money.
(c) Those on foot.
(d) Those on their knees.
13. According to Henriqueta where else did Christopher Columbus discover besides the U.S.?
14. What are supporters of Don Porfirio called?
15. What does Ernie play with the light bulbs in his Tucson hotel room?
(c) On off.
(d) Bright light.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Leandro Valle?
2. Where do Ernie and his family stay the first night of their travels to Tepic?
3. Between what ages do young men in Jalco ask for a girl's hand in marriage?
4. How does Ernie react when he sees the American soldiers helping people off the train?
5. What does Ernie notice about Juan-Chon when he sees him on the train to the U.S?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)