|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part Four, about how many tenants are there in Ernie's apartment building?
2. Who are the only individuals Ernie and Henriqueta socialize with while they stay in Tucson?
(a) The father of the local church.
(b) The mailman that comes by once a day.
(c) The family that lives across from them.
(d) The old couple they are renting a room from.
3. How does Ernie refer to his new apartment in Part Four?
(a) El Como.
(b) The room.
(c) 418 L.
4. What part of Ernie's is sore from the long horse ride to Tepic?
(a) His head.
(b) His groin.
(c) His back.
(d) His rear.
5. What is the name of the boy Ernie runs against in the mock election?
6. What do the wooden crosses that Ernie sees on his journey to Tepic mean?
(a) The show where churches once stood.
(b) They represent saints that watch over travelers' safety.
(c) They mark spots where other travelers have died.
(d) They remind travelers to pray.
7. Which of the following characters contracts measles in Part Three of the story?
8. What is the term used for Mexicans that have grown up in California?
9. Who gets access to organized education in Tepic?
(a) Only the children of the rich.
(b) Only those going into the church.
(d) Only boys.
10. What example does Ernie give that shows there are safety concerns in Tepic?
(a) Gustavo sleeps with a knife near his bed.
(b) Everyone is in their homes by twilight.
(c) Ernie's mother purchases a gun.
(d) The landlady bars the doors of the patio at night.
11. What are the gray towers Ernie sees as he approaches Tepic?
(b) A large government building.
(c) The cathedral.
(d) The old palace.
12. What two things are the soldiers looking for when they come to Jalco?
(a) Alcohol and weapons.
(b) Gold and weapons.
(c) Criminals and alcohol.
(d) Weapons and young men.
13. What do Don Porfirio's mounted police tell the Lopez family they are to do for the troops coming to the village?
(a) They are to come out and cheer for them.
(b) They are to do whatever they ask.
(c) They are to pay them their taxes.
(d) They are to make them breakfast.
14. What is the name of the forest where the measles patients are quarantined in Part Three?
(a) El Negro.
(b) El Nanchi.
(c) El Capitan.
(d) El Marcho.
15. What does Ernie's mother have him take to Juan-Chon while on the train?
(a) A piece of candy.
(b) A note.
(c) Two tacos.
(d) Something to drink.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Henriqueta where else did Christopher Columbus discover besides the U.S.?
2. How high are the sidewalks where Ernie lives in the Mazatlan?
3. What type of food does the restaurant where Ernie works serve?
4. How does Ernie feel about sandwiches the first time he eats one?
5. How do Catarino and Gustavo think Nerun got sick?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)