|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who comes through Jalco with news of Gustavo?
(a) A man who used to live in Jalco too.
(c) A soldier.
(d) A traveling salesman.
2. What is the term used for Mexicans that have grown up in California?
3. What is a capataz?
(a) A sheriff.
(b) A small woolen hat.
(c) A farm supervisor.
(d) A dangerous animal.
4. What treat does Ernie buy from the vendors when his mother gives him money?
(a) Mango and chili powder.
(b) A brown sugar stick.
(d) Pan dulce.
5. Where do Ernie and his mother go to get away from the sounds of the city?
(a) A small town north of Tepic.
(b) The Alameda.
(c) Their apartment.
6. What do the wooden crosses that Ernie sees on his journey to Tepic mean?
(a) They remind travelers to pray.
(b) They mark spots where other travelers have died.
(c) The show where churches once stood.
(d) They represent saints that watch over travelers' safety.
7. Where do Ernie and his family stay the first night of their travels to Tepic?
(a) In a motel.
(b) A rancho.
(c) A refugee camp.
(d) In a cave.
8. What type of instrument does Ernie buy from a pawnshop?
9. What part of Ernie's is sore from the long horse ride to Tepic?
(a) His rear.
(b) His groin.
(c) His head.
(d) His back.
10. Where does Henriqueta hide her money when the soldiers come into town?
(a) In a hole in the wall.
(b) Outside under the corral.
(c) In a hole in the ground.
(d) In a loose floorboard.
11. How does Ernie first learn about the physical differences between boys and girls?
(a) By reading magazines.
(b) By hearing stories told by the older boys.
(c) By watching the girls bathe in the river.
(d) By watching old black and white films.
12. Which of the following roles do Americans not have in the barrio?
(d) Rent collectors.
13. According to Henriqueta where else did Christopher Columbus discover besides the U.S.?
14. Who does Ernie work for in California?
(a) A nearby restaurant.
(b) The milk man.
(c) His landlady.
(d) The Chinese laundryman.
15. What does Ernie play with the light bulbs in his Tucson hotel room?
(b) Bright light.
(c) On off.
Short Answer Questions
1. What role do the younger boys play when the older boys allow them to play bullfights with them?
2. Where does Henriqueta's cousin suggest she save her money?
3. According to Part One, Sections 9 and 10, who is campaigning against Don Porfirio for the presidency?
4. How does Henriqueta contribute to the family income while in Mazatlan?
5. At what age do the boys in the village begin taking on manual labor?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)