|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the forest where the measles patients are quarantined in Part Three?
(a) El Capitan.
(b) El Nanchi.
(c) El Marcho.
(d) El Negro.
2. Where does Josy plan to meet Gustavo when they arrive in the U.S.?
(a) San Diego.
3. How many rooms does Ernie's new home in Jalco have?
4. What is a capataz?
(a) A farm supervisor.
(b) A small woolen hat.
(c) A sheriff.
(d) A dangerous animal.
5. Which of the following activities do Americans do that Ernie sees as strange?
(a) They grab each others hands and shake them.
(b) They say "howdy."
(c) They chew on toothpicks.
(d) They leave their hats on while inside.
6. How does Ernie refer to his new apartment in Part Four?
(a) The room.
(c) El Como.
(d) 418 L.
7. What sign tells Ernie and Henriqueta that Josy has had a successful day of work when he returns home?
(a) He is smiling.
(b) He is dancing.
(c) He is whistling.
(d) He is singing.
8. What type of food does the restaurant where Ernie works serve?
(a) Garbanzo chower.
(b) Pork stew.
9. What are supporters of Don Porfirio called?
10. Why is Ernie not allowed in the party for the poor children?
(a) Because he is not dirty and must not be poor.
(b) Because he did not have an invitation.
(c) Because he has not combed his hair.
(d) Because he is wearing shoes.
11. While staying in Acaponeta, where do Ernie and his mother spend Sunday afternoons?
(a) The market.
(b) The river.
(c) The orchard.
12. Where do the children play bullfight?
(a) In the corrals.
(b) In the plaza.
(c) In the pasture.
(d) By the river.
13. Besides electricity, what other modern convenience does Ernie learn about when they arrive in Tucson?
(b) Motor cars.
(c) Street lights.
14. Where do Ernie and Henriqueta finally arrive at the end of Part Three?
(a) San Francisco.
(b) Hotel Espasol.
(c) El Rey Hotel.
(d) Gustavo's house.
15. What is the name of the most dangerous part of the family's journey to Tepic?
(a) The dark path.
(b) The devil's backbone.
(c) The spine.
(d) The dead saints highway.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the only individuals Ernie and Henriqueta socialize with while they stay in Tucson?
2. What has caused the creek near Jalco to overflow?
3. What book does Ernie ask Mr. Howard to find for him?
4. What does Ernie play with the light bulbs in his Tucson hotel room?
5. How do many of the neighborhood residents view doctors in Mazatlan?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)