|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following roles do Americans not have in the barrio?
(b) Rent collectors.
2. What American activity are the Mexican immigrants pleasantly surprised about?
(a) The rock n' roll music.
(b) The surprising amount of community activities.
(c) The Americans' laughter.
(d) Trash collection.
3. What grade is Ernie in when he starts school in Mazatlan?
(b) Third grade.
(c) First grade.
(d) Second grade.
4. What is a capataz?
(a) A sheriff.
(b) A dangerous animal.
(c) A small woolen hat.
(d) A farm supervisor.
5. What does Josy call the guerrilla soldiers that live in the mountains?
6. What do Don Porfirio's mounted police tell the Lopez family they are to do for the troops coming to the village?
(a) They are to pay them their taxes.
(b) They are to do whatever they ask.
(c) They are to come out and cheer for them.
(d) They are to make them breakfast.
7. According to Part One, Sections 9 and 10, who is campaigning against Don Porfirio for the presidency?
(a) Don Roberto Vasquez.
(b) Don Miguel Caster.
(c) Don Marco Juan Villas.
(d) Don Francisco Madero.
8. What is Leandro Valle?
(a) One of the neighborhoods in Mazatlan.
(b) The street Ernie lives on.
(c) The name of Ernie's best friend in Mazatlan.
(d) The name of Ernie's neighbor.
9. Where do the children play bullfight?
(a) By the river.
(b) In the plaza.
(c) In the corrals.
(d) In the pasture.
10. What two things are the soldiers looking for when they come to Jalco?
(a) Weapons and young men.
(b) Alcohol and weapons.
(c) Criminals and alcohol.
(d) Gold and weapons.
11. Why does Henriqueta give Ernie an emulsion called Wampole?
(a) So that he will gain weight.
(b) For his gas.
(c) To help him recover from a cold.
(d) To help him with his toothache.
12. In Part Four, about how many tenants are there in Ernie's apartment building?
13. What role do the younger boys play when the older boys allow them to play bullfights with them?
(a) The bull.
(c) The matadores.
(d) The picadores.
14. How does Ernie refer to his new apartment in Part Four?
(b) The room.
(c) 418 L.
(d) El Como.
15. Between what ages do young men in Jalco ask for a girl's hand in marriage?
(a) Between 16 to 18 years old.
(b) Between 21 and 26 years old.
(c) Between 18 to 21 years old.
(d) Between 12 to 16 years old.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animals does Catarino bring back home with him from work in Part Two, Section 1?
2. What type of instrument does Ernie buy from a pawnshop?
3. How does Ernie first learn about the physical differences between boys and girls?
4. What is the most significant difference in daily chores that Ernie notes in Part Two, Section 1?
5. What type of job does Josy hold in Tepic?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)