|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the gray towers Ernie sees as he approaches Tepic?
(b) A large government building.
(c) The old palace.
(d) The cathedral.
2. Who comes through Jalco with news of Gustavo?
(a) A soldier.
(c) A man who used to live in Jalco too.
(d) A traveling salesman.
3. What American activity are the Mexican immigrants pleasantly surprised about?
(a) The Americans' laughter.
(b) Trash collection.
(c) The surprising amount of community activities.
(d) The rock n' roll music.
4. Whose belonging have to be brought to the Lopez's home due to the flooding?
(a) Don Evaristo's.
(b) Don Guillermo's.
(c) Don Manuelo's.
(d) Don Catalinio's.
5. Why does Henriqueta give Ernie an emulsion called Wampole?
(a) So that he will gain weight.
(b) For his gas.
(c) To help him recover from a cold.
(d) To help him with his toothache.
6. Ernie comments that the world is made of two types of men, those on horseback and what other type of men?
(a) Those on their knees.
(b) Those on foot.
(c) Those in government.
(d) Those with money.
7. What does Ernie's mother have him take to Juan-Chon while on the train?
(a) Two tacos.
(b) A note.
(c) A piece of candy.
(d) Something to drink.
8. While staying in Acaponeta, where do Ernie and his mother spend Sunday afternoons?
(b) The market.
(c) The river.
(d) The orchard.
9. What type of instrument does Ernie buy from a pawnshop?
10. What are haciendas?
(a) Commercial farms.
(c) Small communities.
(d) Open fields.
11. Which of the following activities do Americans do that Ernie sees as strange?
(a) They say "howdy."
(b) They leave their hats on while inside.
(c) They grab each others hands and shake them.
(d) They chew on toothpicks.
12. Where do the children play bullfight?
(a) In the corrals.
(b) In the plaza.
(c) By the river.
(d) In the pasture.
13. When are boys responsible for completing traditionally feminine chores?
(a) Whenever they are misbehaving.
(c) Only when there are no girls in the household.
(d) There are no traditionally feminine chores.
14. How does the Old Gentleman signal to Ernie that he should come over and help with his tie?
(a) By sending him notes.
(b) By knocking on the wall.
(c) By calling for him.
(d) By stomping on the floor.
15. How do Catarino and Gustavo think Nerun got sick?
(a) By eating a sick animal.
(b) Heart worms.
(c) By being bitten by a rabid animal.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Ernie and his mother go to get away from the sounds of the city?
2. Where is Ernie when his mother returns home at night from helping attend to a sick person?
3. Who are the only individuals Ernie and Henriqueta socialize with while they stay in Tucson?
4. What is Leandro Valle?
5. What is tied between the horns of the steer skull when the boys play bullfights?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)