|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ernie's mother have him take to Juan-Chon while on the train?
(a) A note.
(b) Something to drink.
(c) Two tacos.
(d) A piece of candy.
2. Where does Josy plan to meet Gustavo when they arrive in the U.S.?
(c) San Diego.
3. Who are the only individuals Ernie and Henriqueta socialize with while they stay in Tucson?
(a) The old couple they are renting a room from.
(b) The family that lives across from them.
(c) The mailman that comes by once a day.
(d) The father of the local church.
4. Which of the following activities do Americans do that Ernie sees as strange?
(a) They say "howdy."
(b) They leave their hats on while inside.
(c) They grab each others hands and shake them.
(d) They chew on toothpicks.
5. What are the gray towers Ernie sees as he approaches Tepic?
(a) The old palace.
(c) A large government building.
(d) The cathedral.
6. Why do Josy and Gustavo leave Jalco in Part One, sections 9 and 10?
(a) Because they want an adventure.
(b) To avoid being forced into military service.
(c) To go to university.
(d) Because they are ready to move on to bigger things.
7. What is the Plaza de Armas?
(a) The nearest church to Ernie's home.
(b) Tepic's central plaza.
(c) The main government building in Tepic.
(d) The street that Ernie lives on in Tepic.
8. According to Part One, Sections 9 and 10, who is campaigning against Don Porfirio for the presidency?
(a) Don Roberto Vasquez.
(b) Don Marco Juan Villas.
(c) Don Miguel Caster.
(d) Don Francisco Madero.
9. What is Leandro Valle?
(a) The name of Ernie's best friend in Mazatlan.
(b) One of the neighborhoods in Mazatlan.
(c) The name of Ernie's neighbor.
(d) The street Ernie lives on.
10. What role do the younger boys play when the older boys allow them to play bullfights with them?
(b) The matadores.
(c) The bull.
(d) The picadores.
11. How do Catarino and Gustavo think Nerun got sick?
(a) Heart worms.
(b) By being bitten by a rabid animal.
(c) By eating a sick animal.
12. What must a boy do before he can begin the courtship process?
(a) Learn to work as his father does.
(b) Gain land.
(c) Be saved by the holy church.
(d) Leave his parents home and build his own.
13. What does Ernie notice about Juan-Chon when he sees him on the train to the U.S?
(a) That his braid is missing.
(b) That he is not wearing shoes.
(c) That he is limping.
(d) That his face is bruised.
14. Where is Ernie when his mother returns home at night from helping attend to a sick person?
(a) At the well.
(b) Sitting at the dinner table.
(c) Playing outside in the dark.
(d) Hiding under his bed.
15. Through whose story does Ernie explain the traditional way a boy learns his fathers work?
Short Answer Questions
1. When are boys responsible for completing traditionally feminine chores?
2. What are supporters of Don Porfirio called?
3. Where do Ernie and his mother go to get away from the sounds of the city?
4. At what age do the boys in the village begin taking on manual labor?
5. What has caused the creek near Jalco to overflow?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)