|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ernie call the men who stand outside stores yelling their slogans?
(d) Street criers.
2. What does Josy call the guerrilla soldiers that live in the mountains?
3. What are haciendas?
(b) Open fields.
(c) Small communities.
(d) Commercial farms.
4. Who comes through Jalco with news of Gustavo?
(a) A man who used to live in Jalco too.
(c) A soldier.
(d) A traveling salesman.
5. Where does Josy plan to meet Gustavo when they arrive in the U.S.?
(d) San Diego.
6. Where do Ernie and his family stay the first night of their travels to Tepic?
(a) A rancho.
(b) In a motel.
(c) In a cave.
(d) A refugee camp.
7. While staying in Acaponeta, where do Ernie and his mother spend Sunday afternoons?
(a) The orchard.
(b) The market.
(c) The river.
8. Who gets access to organized education in Tepic?
(b) Only those going into the church.
(c) Only the children of the rich.
(d) Only boys.
9. When are boys responsible for completing traditionally feminine chores?
(a) Whenever they are misbehaving.
(b) There are no traditionally feminine chores.
(d) Only when there are no girls in the household.
10. What astronomical sight does Ernie mention seeing during his last year in Jalco?
(a) A falling star.
(b) A lunar eclipse.
(c) Sighting of Venus.
(d) Halley's Comet.
11. What is Leandro Valle?
(a) The street Ernie lives on.
(b) The name of Ernie's best friend in Mazatlan.
(c) The name of Ernie's neighbor.
(d) One of the neighborhoods in Mazatlan.
12. What does Ernie refer to his mother's sewing machine as?
(b) The Ajax.
(c) The monster.
(d) The Singer.
13. Which animals did Ernie's family leave behind in Jalco?
(c) The hens.
(d) All answers are right.
14. Why does Henriqueta give Ernie an emulsion called Wampole?
(a) To help him recover from a cold.
(b) For his gas.
(c) To help him with his toothache.
(d) So that he will gain weight.
15. How do many of the neighborhood residents view doctors in Mazatlan?
(a) They hate all doctors.
(b) They are supicious of them and try to remedy themselves.
(c) They do not know what doctors are.
(d) They like doctors but simply cannot afford to go to them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following activities do Americans do that Ernie sees as strange?
2. Which of the following roles do Americans not have in the barrio?
3. To what city does Gustavo go to find work?
4. What is tied between the horns of the steer skull when the boys play bullfights?
5. Between what ages do young men in Jalco ask for a girl's hand in marriage?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)