|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are the only individuals Ernie and Henriqueta socialize with while they stay in Tucson?
(a) The old couple they are renting a room from.
(b) The family that lives across from them.
(c) The mailman that comes by once a day.
(d) The father of the local church.
2. What does Ernie play with the light bulbs in his Tucson hotel room?
(b) Bright light.
(d) On off.
3. What does Ernie notice about Juan-Chon when he sees him on the train to the U.S?
(a) That he is limping.
(b) That his face is bruised.
(c) That he is not wearing shoes.
(d) That his braid is missing.
4. Where do Ernie and his mother go to get away from the sounds of the city?
(b) A small town north of Tepic.
(c) The Alameda.
(d) Their apartment.
5. Who gets access to organized education in Tepic?
(a) Only the children of the rich.
(b) Only those going into the church.
(c) Only boys.
6. Whose belonging have to be brought to the Lopez's home due to the flooding?
(a) Don Manuelo's.
(b) Don Catalinio's.
(c) Don Evaristo's.
(d) Don Guillermo's.
7. Why are the Lopez's held at Angel Island when they come by boat to the U.S?
(a) Because that is as far as the boat goes.
(b) Because they are in quarantine.
(c) Because they are criminals.
(d) Because that is where they requested to be dropped off.
8. Where do Ernie and his family stay the first night of their travels to Tepic?
(a) A refugee camp.
(b) In a cave.
(c) A rancho.
(d) In a motel.
9. What American activity are the Mexican immigrants pleasantly surprised about?
(a) Trash collection.
(b) The Americans' laughter.
(c) The surprising amount of community activities.
(d) The rock n' roll music.
10. What does Josy call the guerrilla soldiers that live in the mountains?
11. What is the term used for Mexicans that have grown up in California?
12. When are boys responsible for completing traditionally feminine chores?
(b) There are no traditionally feminine chores.
(c) Only when there are no girls in the household.
(d) Whenever they are misbehaving.
13. Which of the following roles do Americans not have in the barrio?
(d) Rent collectors.
14. What type of food does the restaurant where Ernie works serve?
(a) Garbanzo chower.
(c) Pork stew.
15. In Part Four, about how many tenants are there in Ernie's apartment building?
Short Answer Questions
1. What animals does Catarino bring back home with him from work in Part Two, Section 1?
2. Who is the gang leader of the boys of the brewery?
3. Where do the children play bullfight?
4. How does the Old Gentleman signal to Ernie that he should come over and help with his tie?
5. What must a boy do before he can begin the courtship process?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)