|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who shoots at Josy as he leaves his job building stone markers?
(a) A bola.
(b) A pro-Porfirio soldier.
(c) A pro-Madero soldier.
(d) The foreman of Josy's employer.
2. What is Leandro Valle?
(a) The street Ernie lives on.
(b) The name of Ernie's best friend in Mazatlan.
(c) One of the neighborhoods in Mazatlan.
(d) The name of Ernie's neighbor.
3. What does Ernie notice about Juan-Chon when he sees him on the train to the U.S?
(a) That his braid is missing.
(b) That he is limping.
(c) That he is not wearing shoes.
(d) That his face is bruised.
4. What is a capataz?
(a) A farm supervisor.
(b) A dangerous animal.
(c) A small woolen hat.
(d) A sheriff.
5. Where do Ernie and Henriqueta finally arrive at the end of Part Three?
(a) San Francisco.
(b) El Rey Hotel.
(c) Hotel Espasol.
(d) Gustavo's house.
6. How does Henriqueta contribute to the family income while in Mazatlan?
(a) By teaching at a neighborhood school.
(b) By nannying.
(c) By sewing and mending.
(d) By washing other clothes.
7. At what age do the boys in the village begin taking on manual labor?
(a) 4 years old.
(b) 12 years old.
(c) 9 or 10 years old.
(d) 5 or 6 years old.
8. What does Ernie call the men who stand outside stores yelling their slogans?
(d) Street criers.
9. What is tied between the horns of the steer skull when the boys play bullfights?
(a) A cactus leaf.
(b) A piece of rope.
(c) A red ribbon.
(d) A flower.
10. What American activity are the Mexican immigrants pleasantly surprised about?
(a) The rock n' roll music.
(b) The Americans' laughter.
(c) Trash collection.
(d) The surprising amount of community activities.
11. Why does Ernie think that people are worried about safety in Tepic?
(a) Because the city has a history of civil war.
(b) Because of the visible presence of the military throughout the city.
(c) Because of the presense of drug lords.
(d) Because of all the gang related violence.
12. Where do Ernie and his family stay the first night of their travels to Tepic?
(a) In a motel.
(b) A refugee camp.
(c) In a cave.
(d) A rancho.
13. What astronomical sight does Ernie mention seeing during his last year in Jalco?
(a) A falling star.
(b) Halley's Comet.
(c) Sighting of Venus.
(d) A lunar eclipse.
14. Why is Ernie not allowed in the party for the poor children?
(a) Because he is not dirty and must not be poor.
(b) Because he has not combed his hair.
(c) Because he did not have an invitation.
(d) Because he is wearing shoes.
15. What are supporters of Don Porfirio called?
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of food does the restaurant where Ernie works serve?
2. While staying in Acaponeta, where do Ernie and his mother spend Sunday afternoons?
3. What type of job does Josy hold in Tepic?
4. What is the term used for Mexicans that have grown up in California?
5. What example does Ernie give that shows there are safety concerns in Tepic?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)