|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Through whose story does Ernie explain the traditional way a boy learns his fathers work?
2. In Part Four, about how many tenants are there in Ernie's apartment building?
3. What does Ernie notice about Juan-Chon when he sees him on the train to the U.S?
(a) That his braid is missing.
(b) That he is not wearing shoes.
(c) That his face is bruised.
(d) That he is limping.
4. What American activity are the Mexican immigrants pleasantly surprised about?
(a) Trash collection.
(b) The rock n' roll music.
(c) The surprising amount of community activities.
(d) The Americans' laughter.
5. Who are the only individuals Ernie and Henriqueta socialize with while they stay in Tucson?
(a) The old couple they are renting a room from.
(b) The mailman that comes by once a day.
(c) The father of the local church.
(d) The family that lives across from them.
6. Where does Josy plan to meet Gustavo when they arrive in the U.S.?
(b) San Diego.
7. What are the gray towers Ernie sees as he approaches Tepic?
(a) A large government building.
(b) The cathedral.
(c) The old palace.
8. Why is Ernie not allowed in the party for the poor children?
(a) Because he did not have an invitation.
(b) Because he is wearing shoes.
(c) Because he has not combed his hair.
(d) Because he is not dirty and must not be poor.
9. What is the name of the boy Ernie runs against in the mock election?
10. What do the wooden crosses that Ernie sees on his journey to Tepic mean?
(a) They represent saints that watch over travelers' safety.
(b) They mark spots where other travelers have died.
(c) They remind travelers to pray.
(d) The show where churches once stood.
11. How do Catarino and Gustavo think Nerun got sick?
(a) By being bitten by a rabid animal.
(b) Heart worms.
(d) By eating a sick animal.
12. According to Henriqueta where else did Christopher Columbus discover besides the U.S.?
13. Ernie comments that the world is made of two types of men, those on horseback and what other type of men?
(a) Those with money.
(b) Those on their knees.
(c) Those in government.
(d) Those on foot.
14. Where is Ernie when his mother returns home at night from helping attend to a sick person?
(a) At the well.
(b) Hiding under his bed.
(c) Playing outside in the dark.
(d) Sitting at the dinner table.
15. Which of the following characters contracts measles in Part Three of the story?
Short Answer Questions
1. While staying in Acaponeta, where do Ernie and his mother spend Sunday afternoons?
2. What astronomical sight does Ernie mention seeing during his last year in Jalco?
3. What does Ernie's mother have him take to Juan-Chon while on the train?
4. What are haciendas?
5. What does Josy call the guerrilla soldiers that live in the mountains?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)