|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What part of Ernie's is sore from the long horse ride to Tepic?
(a) His rear.
(b) His groin.
(c) His back.
(d) His head.
2. Where does Henriqueta's cousin suggest she save her money?
(a) In the bank.
(b) With her cousin in a secret place.
(c) Under her floorboards.
(d) With the church.
3. Why is Ernie not allowed in the party for the poor children?
(a) Because he is wearing shoes.
(b) Because he has not combed his hair.
(c) Because he is not dirty and must not be poor.
(d) Because he did not have an invitation.
4. How does Ernie first learn about the physical differences between boys and girls?
(a) By watching the girls bathe in the river.
(b) By hearing stories told by the older boys.
(c) By watching old black and white films.
(d) By reading magazines.
5. What type of food does the restaurant where Ernie works serve?
(a) Pork stew.
(d) Garbanzo chower.
6. What are supporters of Don Porfirio called?
7. How many rooms does Ernie's new home in Jalco have?
8. What does Ernie call the men who stand outside stores yelling their slogans?
(b) Street criers.
9. What is the largest employer in the area when Ernie is living in Mazatlan?
(a) The South Coast Railroad.
(b) La Cervecerna del Pacifico.
(c) The large farms.
(d) The local quarry.
10. What American activity are the Mexican immigrants pleasantly surprised about?
(a) The Americans' laughter.
(b) The rock n' roll music.
(c) The surprising amount of community activities.
(d) Trash collection.
11. How do many of the neighborhood residents view doctors in Mazatlan?
(a) They hate all doctors.
(b) They like doctors but simply cannot afford to go to them.
(c) They are supicious of them and try to remedy themselves.
(d) They do not know what doctors are.
12. What is the name of the boy Ernie runs against in the mock election?
13. How old is the landlady's helper in Tepic?
(a) 14 years old.
(b) 2 or 3 years older than Ernie.
(c) 25 years old.
(d) 1 year younger than Ernie.
14. How does the Old Gentleman signal to Ernie that he should come over and help with his tie?
(a) By calling for him.
(b) By knocking on the wall.
(c) By stomping on the floor.
(d) By sending him notes.
15. What sign tells Ernie and Henriqueta that Josy has had a successful day of work when he returns home?
(a) He is dancing.
(b) He is singing.
(c) He is whistling.
(d) He is smiling.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the most dangerous part of the family's journey to Tepic?
2. Where does Henriqueta hide her money when the soldiers come into town?
3. Why does Henriqueta give Ernie an emulsion called Wampole?
4. What does Ernie's mother have him take to Juan-Chon while on the train?
5. Who are the only individuals Ernie and Henriqueta socialize with while they stay in Tucson?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)