|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ernie call the men who stand outside stores yelling their slogans?
(a) Street criers.
2. Who comes through Jalco with news of Gustavo?
(a) A man who used to live in Jalco too.
(b) A traveling salesman.
(d) A soldier.
3. Where do the children play bullfight?
(a) In the plaza.
(b) By the river.
(c) In the pasture.
(d) In the corrals.
4. What is the term used for Mexicans that have grown up in California?
5. What is tied between the horns of the steer skull when the boys play bullfights?
(a) A cactus leaf.
(b) A red ribbon.
(c) A piece of rope.
(d) A flower.
6. How high are the sidewalks where Ernie lives in the Mazatlan?
(a) Six or seven feet above the street.
(b) A foot high.
(c) Six inches high.
(d) There are no sidewalks where Ernie lives.
7. Whose belonging have to be brought to the Lopez's home due to the flooding?
(a) Don Guillermo's.
(b) Don Catalinio's.
(c) Don Evaristo's.
(d) Don Manuelo's.
8. Where is Ernie when his mother returns home at night from helping attend to a sick person?
(a) At the well.
(b) Hiding under his bed.
(c) Sitting at the dinner table.
(d) Playing outside in the dark.
9. While staying in Acaponeta, where do Ernie and his mother spend Sunday afternoons?
(b) The orchard.
(c) The market.
(d) The river.
10. Which of the following roles do Americans not have in the barrio?
(b) Rent collectors.
11. What type of food does the restaurant where Ernie works serve?
(c) Garbanzo chower.
(d) Pork stew.
12. What American activity are the Mexican immigrants pleasantly surprised about?
(a) Trash collection.
(b) The surprising amount of community activities.
(c) The rock n' roll music.
(d) The Americans' laughter.
13. What does Ernie notice about Juan-Chon when he sees him on the train to the U.S?
(a) That his braid is missing.
(b) That he is not wearing shoes.
(c) That his face is bruised.
(d) That he is limping.
14. What are haciendas?
(a) Commercial farms.
(b) Small communities.
(c) Open fields.
15. What does Ernie play with the light bulbs in his Tucson hotel room?
(c) On off.
(d) Bright light.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part Four, about how many tenants are there in Ernie's apartment building?
2. How does Henriqueta contribute to the family income while in Mazatlan?
3. Where does Henriqueta's cousin suggest she save her money?
4. What are supporters of Don Porfirio called?
5. Who are the only individuals Ernie and Henriqueta socialize with while they stay in Tucson?
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)