|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Dosa Eduvijes sit when she is ready to tell her tales?
(a) Right outside the doors of the town chapel.
(b) On the front step of her little hut.
(c) On a brick bench in the plaza.
(d) On the big rock at the bank of the pond.
2. Besides drinking water, what does the stream deliver to the village?
3. What do Ernie and his mother bring to the mother of a dead boy?
(a) All answers are right.
(b) A book of prayers.
(c) A vase.
4. How does Ernie respond when he sees the rooster trying to mate with a hen?
(a) He is alarmed.
(b) He does not think anything of it at all.
(c) He thinks it is gross.
(d) He laughs.
5. What type of tree is located at the edge of the pond in Jalcocotbn?
6. What profession is Ernie interested in in Part One, Section 5?
(b) Letter writing.
7. What is it that provides an escape route for Jalcocotbn should an attack occur?
(a) A secret path leading up to the mountains.
(b) A small tunnel that is in the side of the rocky hills.
(c) A hidden path through the forest.
(d) A hidden cove on the coast line housing hidden boats.
8. Why did the original settlers of Jalcocotbn choose that location to settle?
(a) Because it was close to the city of San Antonio.
(b) Because it offered natural protection from intruders and the harsh wind and sun.
(c) Because it was in a fertile valley.
(d) Because it was close to the Pacific Ocean.
9. How is the history of Jalco kept?
(d) Word of mouth.
10. What two items was Ernie's mother allowed to keep after the divorce?
(a) Her burro and her silver ring.
(b) Her locket and her son.
(c) Her ring and her sewing machine.
(d) Her car and her piano.
11. What is the importance of the city of Jalcocotbn to the author?
(a) He went to college there.
(b) He was born there.
(c) He wants to move there some day.
(d) He attended high school there.
12. Where did Ernie's mother keep her knick-knacks and heirlooms?
(a) In a large stone bowl and lid.
(b) A small beaded bag.
(c) In a paper box.
(d) A cedar chest.
13. Where was Dosa Henriqueta married?
(b) San Blas.
(c) Mexico City.
14. What type of wildlife is the forest around Jalcocotbn heavily populated with?
(d) Jungle cats.
15. How many school are there in the village of Jalcocotbn?
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the corrals in the back of the cottages built out of?
2. According to the author in Section 1, what is the historical importance of the story?
3. What basic skills do the adults of Jalcocotbn value?
4. What is the central theme of Cleofas' version of Jalco's history?
5. What is Don Chencho's profession?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)