|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Cleofas consider as a basic human right?
(a) Access to clean water.
(b) A person's right to have an education.
(c) The right to marry whoever you choose.
(d) A man's freedom to work for himself.
2. How many school are there in the village of Jalcocotbn?
3. What are the corrals in the back of the cottages built out of?
4. Besides drinking water, what does the stream deliver to the village?
5. What is the name of the family rooster?
(a) Senor Rooster.
6. What do Dosa Eduvijes' tales do for the children in the village?
(a) Teaches them about mythology.
(b) Provides exposure to the concepts of good and evil.
(c) Makes them more creative.
(d) Scares them so that they do not go into the surrounding woods.
7. What information about Jalcocotbn is shared at the beginning of the story?
(a) Information about the political state in the city.
(b) Information about the lack of education and work in the city.
(c) Information about it's physical characteristics and history.
(d) Information about the financial situation.
8. What type of work does Don Catarino do?
(a) He works as a foreman at a rock quarry.
(b) He is a construction worker in the next village.
(c) He works on a coffee plantation.
(d) He is a field worker in the mountain's corn patches.
9. According to the author in Section 1, what is the historical importance of the story?
(a) That many other families also migrated to the United States.
(b) That the story talks specifically about human rights.
(c) That the story covers never before heard history.
(d) That it is important because it is the story of his life.
10. What is aguardiente according to Ernie?
(a) Chili juice.
(b) A bath.
11. According to the author, who originally settled this mountain village?
(a) Immigrants from Central America.
(b) Spanish conquistadors.
(c) American settlers in the West.
(d) Indian ancestors.
12. Which of the following items is not found in pinole?
(b) Lemon Leaves.
13. How much older than Ernie is Josy?
(a) 10 years.
(b) 5 years.
(c) 9 years.
(d) 12 years.
14. What did the Spaniards do to some of the Indians when they came to Mexico?
(a) Put them into prison.
(b) Caused them to die of sickness.
(c) Forced them into slave labor.
(d) Banished them to Arizona and Texas.
15. Who collects unbaptized children and carries them off?
(a) The Wailer.
(b) The Weeping Woman.
(c) The Devil.
(d) El Chupecabra.
Short Answer Questions
1. When do the men in Jalco sing?
2. What outdoor activity did the men of a Jalcocotbn participate in if the weather permitted?
3. What do Jalco children learn by having others who are not their parents discipline them?
4. What reassurance does Ernie's mother give him about the rooster.
5. What do Ernie and his mother bring to the mother of a dead boy?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)