|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Dosa Eduvijes' tales do for the children in the village?
(a) Makes them more creative.
(b) Teaches them about mythology.
(c) Provides exposure to the concepts of good and evil.
(d) Scares them so that they do not go into the surrounding woods.
2. What similarity can be seen between Coronel and Don Catarino?
(a) They are both loud.
(b) They are both the head of their "households."
(c) They are both very intelligent.
(d) They are both quick.
3. What city is located about 40 kilometers away from Jalcocotbn?
(a) La Cuidad de Suenos.
4. Where did Ernie's mother keep her knick-knacks and heirlooms?
(a) A small beaded bag.
(b) In a paper box.
(c) A cedar chest.
(d) In a large stone bowl and lid.
5. What reassurance does Ernie's mother give him about the rooster.
(a) That he is the bravest rooster in the area.
(b) That he will not hurt Ernie.
(c) That he is a smart animal.
(d) That he will not hurt the chickens.
6. Where does Dosa Eduvijes sit when she is ready to tell her tales?
(a) On the big rock at the bank of the pond.
(b) On the front step of her little hut.
(c) On a brick bench in the plaza.
(d) Right outside the doors of the town chapel.
7. What are the corrals in the back of the cottages built out of?
8. What profession is Ernie interested in in Part One, Section 5?
(c) Letter writing.
9. Who collects unbaptized children and carries them off?
(a) El Chupecabra.
(b) The Devil.
(c) The Wailer.
(d) The Weeping Woman.
10. The use of what words in Part One, Section 4 can be seen as adding to the sense of division between men and women?
(a) Brave and scared.
(b) Gallo and chicken.
(c) Small and large.
(d) Chicken and buzzard.
11. Besides "rooster" what does the Spanish word gallo mean?
12. What trait does Ernie find more important about the rooster than his intelligence?
(a) His bravery.
(b) His physical strength.
(c) His speed.
(d) His feistiness.
13. Who comments that buzzards are "chickens"?
14. What slang term for cowardly is used by Ernie's mother in Part One, Section 4?
(c) Scaredy cat.
15. What does Ernie call his Aunt Ester?
(b) Aunt Malo.
(d) Aunt Tel.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the residents of the village keep the street in front of their cottages clean?
2. How do Ernie and his cousins view the rooster?
3. What is Cleofas' age?
4. What type of wildlife is the forest around Jalcocotbn heavily populated with?
5. What basic skills do the adults of Jalcocotbn value?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)