|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What outdoor activity did the men of a Jalcocotbn participate in if the weather permitted?
2. What city is located about 40 kilometers away from Jalcocotbn?
(c) La Cuidad de Suenos.
3. According to the author, who originally settled this mountain village?
(a) Immigrants from Central America.
(b) Indian ancestors.
(c) Spanish conquistadors.
(d) American settlers in the West.
4. How does Ernie receive his education, for the most part?
(a) By travelling twice a week to Tepic.
(b) From his elder cousin, through homeschool.
(c) By going to the local church and being taught by the Pastor.
(d) From watching the people around him.
5. What are the corrals in the back of the cottages built out of?
6. What type of work does Don Catarino do?
(a) He is a field worker in the mountain's corn patches.
(b) He is a construction worker in the next village.
(c) He works on a coffee plantation.
(d) He works as a foreman at a rock quarry.
7. What two items was Ernie's mother allowed to keep after the divorce?
(a) Her car and her piano.
(b) Her locket and her son.
(c) Her burro and her silver ring.
(d) Her ring and her sewing machine.
8. In part one, section 4 what trait do we see associated with femininity?
9. What do the residents of Jalcocotbn do with their trash?
(a) They throw it in a ditch alongside the street.
(b) They burn it every week in a large ditch.
(c) They bury it in a nearby cave.
(d) They throw it into the ocean.
10. What does the Weeping Woman's presence foreshadow?
(a) Volcanic erruptions.
(b) The birth of a child.
11. Where does Dosa Eduvijes sit when she is ready to tell her tales?
(a) On a brick bench in the plaza.
(b) On the front step of her little hut.
(c) Right outside the doors of the town chapel.
(d) On the big rock at the bank of the pond.
12. Where are weddings and baptisms held?
(a) The temple of El Senor del Cielo.
(b) The Iglesia del Hijo.
(c) The shrine of Nuestra Sesora de Talpa.
(d) The chapel.
13. Who comments that buzzards are "chickens"?
14. What profession is Ernie interested in in Part One, Section 5?
(b) Letter writing.
15. What do Ernie and his mother bring to the mother of a dead boy?
(a) All answers are right.
(b) A vase.
(c) A book of prayers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not mentioned by the author as being a public place in his village?
2. Besides drinking water, what does the stream deliver to the village?
3. How is the daily lifestyle in Jalcocotbn as seen in Section 2 best described?
4. What trait does Ernie find more important about the rooster than his intelligence?
5. What does Cleofas consider as a basic human right?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)