|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much older than Ernie is Josy?
(a) 9 years.
(b) 12 years.
(c) 10 years.
(d) 5 years.
2. Why does the priest expel Josy?
(a) For speaking during the litergy.
(b) For not ending this prayers correctly.
(c) For refusing to sing with the choir.
(d) For making up Spanish translations of a Latin ritual.
3. Who collects unbaptized children and carries them off?
(a) The Weeping Woman.
(b) The Wailer.
(c) El Chupecabra.
(d) The Devil.
4. What is the central theme of Cleofas' version of Jalco's history?
5. What reassurance does Ernie's mother give him about the rooster.
(a) That he is a smart animal.
(b) That he is the bravest rooster in the area.
(c) That he will not hurt the chickens.
(d) That he will not hurt Ernie.
6. What slang term for cowardly is used by Ernie's mother in Part One, Section 4?
(c) Scaredy cat.
7. What profession is Ernie interested in in Part One, Section 5?
(b) Letter writing.
8. What outdoor activity did the men of a Jalcocotbn participate in if the weather permitted?
9. When do the men in Jalco sing?
(a) Only when they are drunk.
(b) Only in church.
(c) In the evenings as they return from work.
(d) During the holidays or birthdays.
10. What type of tree is located at the edge of the pond in Jalcocotbn?
11. What kind of stories does the narrator say he tells his family?
(a) The story of the freedom of Central America.
(b) Tales of Mexican mythology.
(c) Proverbs that he learned from his mother.
(d) Anecdotes about the village where he was born.
12. How does Ernie receive his education, for the most part?
(a) From his elder cousin, through homeschool.
(b) From watching the people around him.
(c) By going to the local church and being taught by the Pastor.
(d) By travelling twice a week to Tepic.
13. What is it that provides an escape route for Jalcocotbn should an attack occur?
(a) A hidden path through the forest.
(b) A hidden cove on the coast line housing hidden boats.
(c) A small tunnel that is in the side of the rocky hills.
(d) A secret path leading up to the mountains.
14. What is suggested after the author's stories circulate at a scholarly meeting?
(a) That he stop telling stories.
(b) That he make a movie.
(c) That he speak at more scholarly meetings.
(d) That he write a book.
15. What foods does Ernie learn to eat like a man?
(c) Atole and panocha .
Short Answer Questions
1. At what age is it customary for adults and neighbors to take part in the child's discipline in the village of Jalco?
2. What type of wildlife is the forest around Jalcocotbn heavily populated with?
3. What does the Lopez family seem to think the priests are more preoccupied with than saving souls?
4. What city is located about 40 kilometers away from Jalcocotbn?
5. How did the residents of the village keep the street in front of their cottages clean?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)