|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ernie learn to roast coffee beans?
(a) In a large kettle.
(b) Quickly so that they do not turn brown.
(c) On the comal.
(d) WIth patience and love.
2. Who collects unbaptized children and carries them off?
(a) The Wailer.
(b) El Chupecabra.
(c) The Weeping Woman.
(d) The Devil.
3. The use of what words in Part One, Section 4 can be seen as adding to the sense of division between men and women?
(a) Brave and scared.
(b) Gallo and chicken.
(c) Chicken and buzzard.
(d) Small and large.
4. Why does the priest expel Josy?
(a) For speaking during the litergy.
(b) For refusing to sing with the choir.
(c) For not ending this prayers correctly.
(d) For making up Spanish translations of a Latin ritual.
5. What nation did General Porfirio Diaz fight in war, leading to his becoming president?
(d) United States.
6. What profession do Ernie and his cousins vow never to become in Part One, Section 7?
(a) A teacher.
(b) A farm worker.
(c) A priest.
(d) A soldier.
7. What do Jalco children learn by having others who are not their parents discipline them?
(a) That everyone has a different idea of what acting bad is.
(b) That someone is always watching.
(c) That you have to be extra sneaky.
(d) That it is not worth it to be bad.
8. Which of the following can offer the village people protection from the devil?
(a) All answers are correct.
(b) Holy water.
(c) The sign of the cross.
(d) Our Lady of Talpa.
9. What slang term for cowardly is used by Ernie's mother in Part One, Section 4?
(b) Scaredy cat.
10. About how many cottages does Ernie estimate are in his village?
(c) Two hundred fifty.
(d) One hundred.
11. How is the daily lifestyle in Jalcocotbn as seen in Section 2 best described?
(c) Always changing.
12. What do Ernie and his mother bring to the mother of a dead boy?
(a) A vase.
(c) A book of prayers.
(d) All answers are right.
13. What outdoor activity did the men of a Jalcocotbn participate in if the weather permitted?
14. What type of animal is the family pet while Ernie lives in Jalco?
(a) A dog.
(b) A donkey.
(c) A cat.
(d) A goat.
15. How much older than Ernie is Josy?
(a) 9 years.
(b) 12 years.
(c) 5 years.
(d) 10 years.
Short Answer Questions
1. What foods does Ernie learn to eat like a man?
2. What are the corrals in the back of the cottages built out of?
3. Besides drinking water, what does the stream deliver to the village?
4. In part one, section 4 what trait do we see associated with femininity?
5. At what age is it customary for adults and neighbors to take part in the child's discipline in the village of Jalco?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)