|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is aguardiente according to Ernie?
(a) Chili juice.
(c) A bath.
2. What is the central theme of Cleofas' version of Jalco's history?
3. Besides "rooster" what does the Spanish word gallo mean?
4. How did the residents of the village keep the street in front of their cottages clean?
(a) Sprinkling water on it.
(b) Clearing it with a leaf blower.
(c) Hiring a street cleaner.
(d) Blocking it with stones.
5. What city is located about 40 kilometers away from Jalcocotbn?
(c) La Cuidad de Suenos.
6. How is the daily lifestyle in Jalcocotbn as seen in Section 2 best described?
(d) Always changing.
7. What profession is Ernie interested in in Part One, Section 5?
(c) Letter writing.
8. At what age is it customary for adults and neighbors to take part in the child's discipline in the village of Jalco?
9. According to the author, who originally settled this mountain village?
(a) Indian ancestors.
(b) American settlers in the West.
(c) Spanish conquistadors.
(d) Immigrants from Central America.
10. What is the hanging platform called that Ernie slept on as a child?
(a) A tapanco.
(b) A hammock.
(c) A mesa.
(d) A cama.
11. What do Jalco children learn by having others who are not their parents discipline them?
(a) That it is not worth it to be bad.
(b) That someone is always watching.
(c) That everyone has a different idea of what acting bad is.
(d) That you have to be extra sneaky.
12. What outdoor activity did the men of a Jalcocotbn participate in if the weather permitted?
13. What do Dosa Eduvijes' tales do for the children in the village?
(a) Teaches them about mythology.
(b) Scares them so that they do not go into the surrounding woods.
(c) Makes them more creative.
(d) Provides exposure to the concepts of good and evil.
14. How is the history of Jalco kept?
(c) Word of mouth.
15. How does Ernie learn to roast coffee beans?
(a) On the comal.
(b) Quickly so that they do not turn brown.
(c) WIth patience and love.
(d) In a large kettle.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the priest expel Josy?
2. How many school are there in the village of Jalcocotbn?
3. Where are weddings and baptisms held?
4. What do the residents of Jalcocotbn do with their trash?
5. What two items was Ernie's mother allowed to keep after the divorce?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)