|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the priest expel Josy?
(a) For not ending this prayers correctly.
(b) For refusing to sing with the choir.
(c) For speaking during the litergy.
(d) For making up Spanish translations of a Latin ritual.
2. What similarity can be seen between Coronel and Don Catarino?
(a) They are both very intelligent.
(b) They are both the head of their "households."
(c) They are both loud.
(d) They are both quick.
3. What type of book is the one printed book Dona Henriqueta owns?
(a) A bible.
(b) A cookbook.
(c) A novella.
(d) A comic book.
4. What type of tree is located at the edge of the pond in Jalcocotbn?
5. What kind of stories does the narrator say he tells his family?
(a) Proverbs that he learned from his mother.
(b) Anecdotes about the village where he was born.
(c) The story of the freedom of Central America.
(d) Tales of Mexican mythology.
6. About how many cottages does Ernie estimate are in his village?
(c) Two hundred fifty.
(d) One hundred.
7. Where was Dosa Henriqueta married?
(b) Mexico City.
(c) San Blas.
8. What does the Weeping Woman's presence foreshadow?
(a) The birth of a child.
(b) Volcanic erruptions.
9. What type of fruit is cooked overnight in a hole in the ground?
10. When is pinole used?
(b) Only during the week.
(d) Easter Sunday.
11. What is the only way that Jalcocotbn is reachable?
(a) By an underground cave system.
(b) By a narrow canyon trail.
(c) By boat.
(d) By steep, rocky trails.
12. Which of the following is not mentioned by the author as being a public place in his village?
(a) The street.
(b) The plaza.
(c) The watering hole.
(d) The chapel.
13. What basic skills do the adults of Jalcocotbn value?
(a) Language and science.
(b) Cooking and Arithmetic.
(c) Arithmetic and language.
(d) Science and history.
14. How much older than Ernie is Josy?
(a) 12 years.
(b) 10 years.
(c) 9 years.
(d) 5 years.
15. Who is the beheaded hero that the men in the village sometimes sing about?
(d) Don Juan Pedro.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Lopez family seem to think the priests are more preoccupied with than saving souls?
2. What do Ernie and his mother bring to the mother of a dead boy?
3. What nation did General Porfirio Diaz fight in war, leading to his becoming president?
4. Who comments that buzzards are "chickens"?
5. What is the name of the family rooster?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)