|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the Spaniards do to some of the Indians when they came to Mexico?
(a) Banished them to Arizona and Texas.
(b) Put them into prison.
(c) Forced them into slave labor.
(d) Caused them to die of sickness.
2. What is aguardiente according to Ernie?
(b) A bath.
(c) Chili juice.
3. What is the importance of the city of Jalcocotbn to the author?
(a) He went to college there.
(b) He attended high school there.
(c) He was born there.
(d) He wants to move there some day.
4. The use of what words in Part One, Section 4 can be seen as adding to the sense of division between men and women?
(a) Brave and scared.
(b) Gallo and chicken.
(c) Small and large.
(d) Chicken and buzzard.
5. Where does Dosa Eduvijes sit when she is ready to tell her tales?
(a) On the big rock at the bank of the pond.
(b) Right outside the doors of the town chapel.
(c) On the front step of her little hut.
(d) On a brick bench in the plaza.
6. What is a zopilote?
(a) A buzzard.
(b) A chicken.
(c) A hen.
(d) A goat.
7. What type of fruit is cooked overnight in a hole in the ground?
8. What type of language does Gustavo teach Ernie in section 2?
(c) Pig latin.
(d) An ancient Indian language.
9. What kind of animal is Relbmpago?
(a) A dog.
(b) A horse.
(c) A donkey.
(d) A turkey.
10. What basic skills do the adults of Jalcocotbn value?
(a) Arithmetic and language.
(b) Language and science.
(c) Cooking and Arithmetic.
(d) Science and history.
11. What is the hanging platform called that Ernie slept on as a child?
(a) A tapanco.
(b) A mesa.
(c) A cama.
(d) A hammock.
12. About how many cottages does Ernie estimate are in his village?
(a) One hundred.
(b) Two hundred fifty.
13. How is the daily lifestyle in Jalcocotbn as seen in Section 2 best described?
(d) Always changing.
14. Which of the following can offer the village people protection from the devil?
(a) All answers are correct.
(b) The sign of the cross.
(c) Our Lady of Talpa.
(d) Holy water.
15. What material were the cottages in the village made of?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following items is not found in pinole?
2. Who comments that buzzards are "chickens"?
3. What profession do Ernie and his cousins vow never to become in Part One, Section 7?
4. Why did the original settlers of Jalcocotbn choose that location to settle?
5. What information about Jalcocotbn is shared at the beginning of the story?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)