|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Ernie's mother keep her knick-knacks and heirlooms?
(a) A cedar chest.
(b) In a paper box.
(c) A small beaded bag.
(d) In a large stone bowl and lid.
2. When do the men in Jalco sing?
(a) Only in church.
(b) Only when they are drunk.
(c) In the evenings as they return from work.
(d) During the holidays or birthdays.
3. What does Ernie call his Aunt Ester?
(a) Aunt Tel.
(d) Aunt Malo.
4. What foods does Ernie learn to eat like a man?
(a) Atole and panocha .
5. What is the central theme of Cleofas' version of Jalco's history?
6. How does Ernie receive his education, for the most part?
(a) From watching the people around him.
(b) From his elder cousin, through homeschool.
(c) By going to the local church and being taught by the Pastor.
(d) By travelling twice a week to Tepic.
7. What trait does Ernie find more important about the rooster than his intelligence?
(a) His speed.
(b) His bravery.
(c) His physical strength.
(d) His feistiness.
8. What do Ernie and his mother bring to the mother of a dead boy?
(a) A vase.
(c) All answers are right.
(d) A book of prayers.
9. How much older than Ernie is Josy?
(a) 12 years.
(b) 10 years.
(c) 5 years.
(d) 9 years.
10. How does Ernie learn to roast coffee beans?
(a) Quickly so that they do not turn brown.
(b) On the comal.
(c) In a large kettle.
(d) WIth patience and love.
11. What similarity can be seen between Coronel and Don Catarino?
(a) They are both loud.
(b) They are both quick.
(c) They are both very intelligent.
(d) They are both the head of their "households."
12. What profession do Ernie and his cousins vow never to become in Part One, Section 7?
(a) A farm worker.
(b) A teacher.
(c) A soldier.
(d) A priest.
13. What is the name of the family rooster?
(b) Senor Rooster.
14. What is suggested after the author's stories circulate at a scholarly meeting?
(a) That he stop telling stories.
(b) That he make a movie.
(c) That he write a book.
(d) That he speak at more scholarly meetings.
15. Where was Dosa Henriqueta married?
(b) Mexico City.
(d) San Blas.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following can offer the village people protection from the devil?
2. What type of book is the one printed book Dona Henriqueta owns?
3. Who comments that buzzards are "chickens"?
4. What is it that Dosa Eduvijes put in her mouth as she tells her stories?
5. Which of the following is not mentioned by the author as being a public place in his village?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)