|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What nation did General Porfirio Diaz fight in war, leading to his becoming president?
(c) United States.
2. What type of work does Don Catarino do?
(a) He is a construction worker in the next village.
(b) He works on a coffee plantation.
(c) He is a field worker in the mountain's corn patches.
(d) He works as a foreman at a rock quarry.
3. How does Ernie receive his education, for the most part?
(a) By travelling twice a week to Tepic.
(b) From his elder cousin, through homeschool.
(c) From watching the people around him.
(d) By going to the local church and being taught by the Pastor.
4. What is the central theme of Cleofas' version of Jalco's history?
5. What slang term for cowardly is used by Ernie's mother in Part One, Section 4?
(b) Scaredy cat.
6. What is the name of the time when Indian tribes had their own system of authority?
(a) Pre-columbian era.
(b) The time of the Aztecs.
(c) The time of old.
(d) Before the conquest.
7. What type of wildlife is the forest around Jalcocotbn heavily populated with?
(c) Jungle cats.
8. What does the Lopez family seem to think the priests are more preoccupied with than saving souls?
(a) Saving themselves.
(b) Moving up in the church.
(c) Making money.
(d) Being treated well.
9. Where did Ernie's mother keep her knick-knacks and heirlooms?
(a) In a large stone bowl and lid.
(b) A cedar chest.
(c) A small beaded bag.
(d) In a paper box.
10. What material were the cottages in the village made of?
11. At what age is it customary for adults and neighbors to take part in the child's discipline in the village of Jalco?
12. What two items was Ernie's mother allowed to keep after the divorce?
(a) Her car and her piano.
(b) Her locket and her son.
(c) Her burro and her silver ring.
(d) Her ring and her sewing machine.
13. How did the residents of the village keep the street in front of their cottages clean?
(a) Blocking it with stones.
(b) Hiring a street cleaner.
(c) Clearing it with a leaf blower.
(d) Sprinkling water on it.
14. What is Don Chencho's profession?
(a) He makes bedstands.
(b) He is a teacher.
(c) He is a beer maker.
(d) He is a doctor.
15. According to the author, who originally settled this mountain village?
(a) American settlers in the West.
(b) Indian ancestors.
(c) Immigrants from Central America.
(d) Spanish conquistadors.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the residents of Jalcocotbn do with their trash?
2. What kind of stories does the narrator say he tells his family?
3. What is the importance of the city of Jalcocotbn to the author?
4. How many school are there in the village of Jalcocotbn?
5. Why did the original settlers of Jalcocotbn choose that location to settle?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)