|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About how many cottages does Ernie estimate are in his village?
(a) Two hundred fifty.
(c) One hundred.
2. What is the importance of the city of Jalcocotbn to the author?
(a) He wants to move there some day.
(b) He went to college there.
(c) He attended high school there.
(d) He was born there.
3. What is suggested after the author's stories circulate at a scholarly meeting?
(a) That he make a movie.
(b) That he speak at more scholarly meetings.
(c) That he write a book.
(d) That he stop telling stories.
4. How did the residents of the village keep the street in front of their cottages clean?
(a) Blocking it with stones.
(b) Clearing it with a leaf blower.
(c) Sprinkling water on it.
(d) Hiring a street cleaner.
5. What is a zopilote?
(a) A buzzard.
(b) A goat.
(c) A chicken.
(d) A hen.
6. What is the name of the time when Indian tribes had their own system of authority?
(a) The time of old.
(b) Before the conquest.
(c) The time of the Aztecs.
(d) Pre-columbian era.
7. How do Ernie and his cousins view the rooster?
(a) As brave.
(b) As lazy.
(c) As stupid.
(d) As a scaredy cat.
8. What reassurance does Ernie's mother give him about the rooster.
(a) That he is the bravest rooster in the area.
(b) That he is a smart animal.
(c) That he will not hurt the chickens.
(d) That he will not hurt Ernie.
9. What information about Jalcocotbn is shared at the beginning of the story?
(a) Information about the financial situation.
(b) Information about the lack of education and work in the city.
(c) Information about the political state in the city.
(d) Information about it's physical characteristics and history.
10. What trait does Ernie find more important about the rooster than his intelligence?
(a) His bravery.
(b) His physical strength.
(c) His speed.
(d) His feistiness.
11. When do the men in Jalco sing?
(a) During the holidays or birthdays.
(b) In the evenings as they return from work.
(c) Only in church.
(d) Only when they are drunk.
12. What type of animal is the family pet while Ernie lives in Jalco?
(a) A donkey.
(b) A dog.
(c) A goat.
(d) A cat.
13. Which of the following is not mentioned by the author as being a public place in his village?
(a) The watering hole.
(b) The plaza.
(c) The chapel.
(d) The street.
14. Who is overheard saying that "nothing ever happens" in Jalcocotbn?
(b) Dosa Henriqueta.
(c) Uncle Josy.
(d) Don Chano.
15. What do the residents of Jalcocotbn do with their trash?
(a) They throw it into the ocean.
(b) They throw it in a ditch alongside the street.
(c) They bury it in a nearby cave.
(d) They burn it every week in a large ditch.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Dosa Eduvijes' tales do for the children in the village?
2. How is the history of Jalco kept?
3. Why does Coronel attack a buzzard?
4. What similarity can be seen between Coronel and Don Catarino?
5. What is the central theme of Cleofas' version of Jalco's history?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)