|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where are weddings and baptisms held?
(a) The temple of El Senor del Cielo.
(b) The Iglesia del Hijo.
(c) The shrine of Nuestra Sesora de Talpa.
(d) The chapel.
2. About how many cottages does Ernie estimate are in his village?
(b) Two hundred fifty.
(d) One hundred.
3. What foods does Ernie learn to eat like a man?
(c) Atole and panocha .
4. Who comments that buzzards are "chickens"?
5. How much older than Ernie is Josy?
(a) 10 years.
(b) 5 years.
(c) 9 years.
(d) 12 years.
6. What type of book is the one printed book Dona Henriqueta owns?
(a) A novella.
(b) A comic book.
(c) A cookbook.
(d) A bible.
7. How does Ernie learn to roast coffee beans?
(a) In a large kettle.
(b) On the comal.
(c) WIth patience and love.
(d) Quickly so that they do not turn brown.
8. What material were the cottages in the village made of?
9. What animal is shared by the entire village?
(a) The horse.
(b) The goat.
(c) The cow.
(d) The rooster.
10. According to the author in Section 1, what is the historical importance of the story?
(a) That many other families also migrated to the United States.
(b) That the story covers never before heard history.
(c) That the story talks specifically about human rights.
(d) That it is important because it is the story of his life.
11. Who is the beheaded hero that the men in the village sometimes sing about?
(d) Don Juan Pedro.
12. What two items was Ernie's mother allowed to keep after the divorce?
(a) Her locket and her son.
(b) Her car and her piano.
(c) Her burro and her silver ring.
(d) Her ring and her sewing machine.
13. What instrument does Uncle Josy play?
(a) The guitar.
(b) The maracas.
(c) The drum.
(d) The Harmonica.
14. What kind of stories does the narrator say he tells his family?
(a) Proverbs that he learned from his mother.
(b) Anecdotes about the village where he was born.
(c) Tales of Mexican mythology.
(d) The story of the freedom of Central America.
15. What does Cleofas consider as a basic human right?
(a) Access to clean water.
(b) A person's right to have an education.
(c) The right to marry whoever you choose.
(d) A man's freedom to work for himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of tree is located at the edge of the pond in Jalcocotbn?
2. What basic skills do the adults of Jalcocotbn value?
3. What reassurance does Ernie's mother give him about the rooster.
4. Which of the following can offer the village people protection from the devil?
5. What is the name of the family rooster?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)