|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Ernie and his mother bring to the mother of a dead boy?
(b) All answers are right.
(c) A vase.
(d) A book of prayers.
2. What type of fruit is cooked overnight in a hole in the ground?
3. Why does Coronel attack a buzzard?
(a) Because the buzzard attacked a hen.
(b) Because the buzzard was hurt.
(c) Because the buzzard was trying to steal his food.
(d) Because he is trying to claim new territory.
4. Who is overheard saying that "nothing ever happens" in Jalcocotbn?
(a) Uncle Josy.
(b) Dosa Henriqueta.
(c) Don Chano.
5. How does Ernie receive his education, for the most part?
(a) By travelling twice a week to Tepic.
(b) From watching the people around him.
(c) From his elder cousin, through homeschool.
(d) By going to the local church and being taught by the Pastor.
6. The use of what words in Part One, Section 4 can be seen as adding to the sense of division between men and women?
(a) Small and large.
(b) Brave and scared.
(c) Gallo and chicken.
(d) Chicken and buzzard.
7. Where did Ernie's mother keep her knick-knacks and heirlooms?
(a) A small beaded bag.
(b) In a large stone bowl and lid.
(c) In a paper box.
(d) A cedar chest.
8. How does Ernie respond when he sees the rooster trying to mate with a hen?
(a) He thinks it is gross.
(b) He laughs.
(c) He is alarmed.
(d) He does not think anything of it at all.
9. How did the residents of the village keep the street in front of their cottages clean?
(a) Blocking it with stones.
(b) Hiring a street cleaner.
(c) Clearing it with a leaf blower.
(d) Sprinkling water on it.
10. What is the name of the time when Indian tribes had their own system of authority?
(a) The time of the Aztecs.
(b) Before the conquest.
(c) Pre-columbian era.
(d) The time of old.
11. Why did the original settlers of Jalcocotbn choose that location to settle?
(a) Because it was close to the city of San Antonio.
(b) Because it was in a fertile valley.
(c) Because it offered natural protection from intruders and the harsh wind and sun.
(d) Because it was close to the Pacific Ocean.
12. What type of wildlife is the forest around Jalcocotbn heavily populated with?
(c) Jungle cats.
13. What is Cleofas' age?
(b) It does not say.
14. What profession do Ernie and his cousins vow never to become in Part One, Section 7?
(a) A teacher.
(b) A farm worker.
(c) A priest.
(d) A soldier.
15. Who comments that buzzards are "chickens"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What similarity can be seen between Coronel and Don Catarino?
2. What is Don Chencho's profession?
3. When do the men in Jalco sing?
4. What type of work does Don Catarino do?
5. In part one, section 4 what trait do we see associated with femininity?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)