|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What profession do Ernie and his cousins vow never to become in Part One, Section 7?
(a) A soldier.
(b) A priest.
(c) A farm worker.
(d) A teacher.
2. What city is located about 40 kilometers away from Jalcocotbn?
(b) La Cuidad de Suenos.
3. What does Ernie call his Aunt Ester?
(a) Aunt Tel.
(d) Aunt Malo.
4. When do the men in Jalco sing?
(a) In the evenings as they return from work.
(b) Only in church.
(c) Only when they are drunk.
(d) During the holidays or birthdays.
5. Besides "rooster" what does the Spanish word gallo mean?
6. What basic skills do the adults of Jalcocotbn value?
(a) Arithmetic and language.
(b) Cooking and Arithmetic.
(c) Language and science.
(d) Science and history.
7. According to the author in Section 1, what is the psychological importance of the story?
(a) That the story sheds light on the pysche of adolescents.
(b) The fact that this story could help others overcome tramatic experiences.
(c) The desire to communicate his confidence in his self-image as a Mexican immigrant.
(d) That the story communicates the equality of all humans.
8. Who collects unbaptized children and carries them off?
(a) El Chupecabra.
(b) The Wailer.
(c) The Weeping Woman.
(d) The Devil.
9. How much older than Ernie is Josy?
(a) 9 years.
(b) 10 years.
(c) 12 years.
(d) 5 years.
10. Who is the beheaded hero that the men in the village sometimes sing about?
(c) Don Juan Pedro.
11. What is the importance of the city of Jalcocotbn to the author?
(a) He was born there.
(b) He wants to move there some day.
(c) He went to college there.
(d) He attended high school there.
12. What slang term for cowardly is used by Ernie's mother in Part One, Section 4?
(d) Scaredy cat.
13. What does the Weeping Woman's presence foreshadow?
(a) Volcanic erruptions.
(b) The birth of a child.
14. What type of work does Don Catarino do?
(a) He works on a coffee plantation.
(b) He works as a foreman at a rock quarry.
(c) He is a field worker in the mountain's corn patches.
(d) He is a construction worker in the next village.
15. What profession is Ernie interested in in Part One, Section 5?
(c) Letter writing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of fruit is cooked overnight in a hole in the ground?
2. What is Cleofas' age?
3. When is pinole used?
4. Which of the following items is not found in pinole?
5. What animal is shared by the entire village?
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)