|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the residents of the village keep the street in front of their cottages clean?
(a) Clearing it with a leaf blower.
(b) Sprinkling water on it.
(c) Hiring a street cleaner.
(d) Blocking it with stones.
2. According to the author in Section 1, what is the psychological importance of the story?
(a) That the story sheds light on the pysche of adolescents.
(b) That the story communicates the equality of all humans.
(c) The fact that this story could help others overcome tramatic experiences.
(d) The desire to communicate his confidence in his self-image as a Mexican immigrant.
3. What trait does Ernie find more important about the rooster than his intelligence?
(a) His feistiness.
(b) His physical strength.
(c) His speed.
(d) His bravery.
4. Who is the beheaded hero that the men in the village sometimes sing about?
(d) Don Juan Pedro.
5. What does Ernie call his Aunt Ester?
(a) Aunt Malo.
(d) Aunt Tel.
6. Why does Coronel attack a buzzard?
(a) Because the buzzard was hurt.
(b) Because he is trying to claim new territory.
(c) Because the buzzard attacked a hen.
(d) Because the buzzard was trying to steal his food.
7. What is the only way that Jalcocotbn is reachable?
(a) By steep, rocky trails.
(b) By a narrow canyon trail.
(c) By boat.
(d) By an underground cave system.
8. What is it that provides an escape route for Jalcocotbn should an attack occur?
(a) A hidden cove on the coast line housing hidden boats.
(b) A hidden path through the forest.
(c) A secret path leading up to the mountains.
(d) A small tunnel that is in the side of the rocky hills.
9. What type of language does Gustavo teach Ernie in section 2?
(a) Pig latin.
(d) An ancient Indian language.
10. What type of animal is the family pet while Ernie lives in Jalco?
(a) A dog.
(b) A goat.
(c) A cat.
(d) A donkey.
11. At what age is it customary for adults and neighbors to take part in the child's discipline in the village of Jalco?
12. Where was Dosa Henriqueta married?
(a) San Blas.
(d) Mexico City.
13. Where are weddings and baptisms held?
(a) The Iglesia del Hijo.
(b) The chapel.
(c) The temple of El Senor del Cielo.
(d) The shrine of Nuestra Sesora de Talpa.
14. What does Cleofas consider as a basic human right?
(a) A person's right to have an education.
(b) Access to clean water.
(c) The right to marry whoever you choose.
(d) A man's freedom to work for himself.
15. Besides "rooster" what does the Spanish word gallo mean?
Short Answer Questions
1. Besides drinking water, what does the stream deliver to the village?
2. What type of tree is located at the edge of the pond in Jalcocotbn?
3. Why does the priest expel Josy?
4. What nation did General Porfirio Diaz fight in war, leading to his becoming president?
5. Which of the following can offer the village people protection from the devil?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)