|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ernie call his Aunt Ester?
(a) Aunt Tel.
(d) Aunt Malo.
2. What is aguardiente according to Ernie?
(b) Chili juice.
(c) A bath.
3. Why did the original settlers of Jalcocotbn choose that location to settle?
(a) Because it offered natural protection from intruders and the harsh wind and sun.
(b) Because it was in a fertile valley.
(c) Because it was close to the Pacific Ocean.
(d) Because it was close to the city of San Antonio.
4. Where does Dosa Eduvijes sit when she is ready to tell her tales?
(a) On a brick bench in the plaza.
(b) Right outside the doors of the town chapel.
(c) On the big rock at the bank of the pond.
(d) On the front step of her little hut.
5. What profession do Ernie and his cousins vow never to become in Part One, Section 7?
(a) A teacher.
(b) A farm worker.
(c) A priest.
(d) A soldier.
6. What is it that provides an escape route for Jalcocotbn should an attack occur?
(a) A small tunnel that is in the side of the rocky hills.
(b) A hidden path through the forest.
(c) A secret path leading up to the mountains.
(d) A hidden cove on the coast line housing hidden boats.
7. What two items was Ernie's mother allowed to keep after the divorce?
(a) Her burro and her silver ring.
(b) Her locket and her son.
(c) Her ring and her sewing machine.
(d) Her car and her piano.
8. What kind of animal is Relbmpago?
(a) A donkey.
(b) A dog.
(c) A horse.
(d) A turkey.
9. Who collects unbaptized children and carries them off?
(a) The Devil.
(b) The Weeping Woman.
(c) El Chupecabra.
(d) The Wailer.
10. At what age is it customary for adults and neighbors to take part in the child's discipline in the village of Jalco?
11. How is the daily lifestyle in Jalcocotbn as seen in Section 2 best described?
(d) Always changing.
12. What type of work does Don Catarino do?
(a) He is a field worker in the mountain's corn patches.
(b) He works on a coffee plantation.
(c) He is a construction worker in the next village.
(d) He works as a foreman at a rock quarry.
13. What is the name of the time when Indian tribes had their own system of authority?
(a) Before the conquest.
(b) Pre-columbian era.
(c) The time of old.
(d) The time of the Aztecs.
14. What is Cleofas' age?
(b) It does not say.
15. Besides drinking water, what does the stream deliver to the village?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who makes ropes and crates in the village?
2. Where did Ernie's mother keep her knick-knacks and heirlooms?
3. Which of the following can offer the village people protection from the devil?
4. What type of book is the one printed book Dona Henriqueta owns?
5. What do Jalco children learn by having others who are not their parents discipline them?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)