|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What city is located about 40 kilometers away from Jalcocotbn?
(c) La Cuidad de Suenos.
2. What type of work does Don Catarino do?
(a) He is a construction worker in the next village.
(b) He works on a coffee plantation.
(c) He works as a foreman at a rock quarry.
(d) He is a field worker in the mountain's corn patches.
3. What are the corrals in the back of the cottages built out of?
4. What type of animal is the family pet while Ernie lives in Jalco?
(a) A dog.
(b) A donkey.
(c) A cat.
(d) A goat.
5. What type of book is the one printed book Dona Henriqueta owns?
(a) A comic book.
(b) A bible.
(c) A novella.
(d) A cookbook.
6. When do the men in Jalco sing?
(a) In the evenings as they return from work.
(b) Only when they are drunk.
(c) Only in church.
(d) During the holidays or birthdays.
7. What two items was Ernie's mother allowed to keep after the divorce?
(a) Her car and her piano.
(b) Her locket and her son.
(c) Her ring and her sewing machine.
(d) Her burro and her silver ring.
8. What is the importance of the city of Jalcocotbn to the author?
(a) He wants to move there some day.
(b) He attended high school there.
(c) He went to college there.
(d) He was born there.
9. How does Ernie receive his education, for the most part?
(a) From watching the people around him.
(b) From his elder cousin, through homeschool.
(c) By going to the local church and being taught by the Pastor.
(d) By travelling twice a week to Tepic.
10. What instrument does Uncle Josy play?
(a) The drum.
(b) The maracas.
(c) The Harmonica.
(d) The guitar.
11. Who comments that buzzards are "chickens"?
12. What foods does Ernie learn to eat like a man?
(a) Atole and panocha .
13. When is pinole used?
(a) Only during the week.
(b) Easter Sunday.
14. What is the hanging platform called that Ernie slept on as a child?
(a) A tapanco.
(b) A hammock.
(c) A cama.
(d) A mesa.
15. What information about Jalcocotbn is shared at the beginning of the story?
(a) Information about it's physical characteristics and history.
(b) Information about the financial situation.
(c) Information about the political state in the city.
(d) Information about the lack of education and work in the city.
Short Answer Questions
1. Besides drinking water, what does the stream deliver to the village?
2. What is the central theme of Cleofas' version of Jalco's history?
3. What trait does Ernie find more important about the rooster than his intelligence?
4. How much older than Ernie is Josy?
5. What slang term for cowardly is used by Ernie's mother in Part One, Section 4?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)