|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a zopilote?
(a) A goat.
(b) A hen.
(c) A buzzard.
(d) A chicken.
2. Who is overheard saying that "nothing ever happens" in Jalcocotbn?
(a) Don Chano.
(c) Uncle Josy.
(d) Dosa Henriqueta.
3. What two items was Ernie's mother allowed to keep after the divorce?
(a) Her locket and her son.
(b) Her ring and her sewing machine.
(c) Her burro and her silver ring.
(d) Her car and her piano.
4. What is the name of the family rooster?
(c) Senor Rooster.
5. What slang term for cowardly is used by Ernie's mother in Part One, Section 4?
(b) Scaredy cat.
6. How did the residents of the village keep the street in front of their cottages clean?
(a) Clearing it with a leaf blower.
(b) Blocking it with stones.
(c) Sprinkling water on it.
(d) Hiring a street cleaner.
7. What trait does Ernie find more important about the rooster than his intelligence?
(a) His speed.
(b) His feistiness.
(c) His bravery.
(d) His physical strength.
8. How does Ernie receive his education, for the most part?
(a) By travelling twice a week to Tepic.
(b) By going to the local church and being taught by the Pastor.
(c) From watching the people around him.
(d) From his elder cousin, through homeschool.
9. What type of language does Gustavo teach Ernie in section 2?
(a) An ancient Indian language.
(b) Pig latin.
10. What type of fruit is cooked overnight in a hole in the ground?
11. What does Cleofas consider as a basic human right?
(a) A man's freedom to work for himself.
(b) The right to marry whoever you choose.
(c) A person's right to have an education.
(d) Access to clean water.
12. What type of wildlife is the forest around Jalcocotbn heavily populated with?
(d) Jungle cats.
13. What are the corrals in the back of the cottages built out of?
14. What does Ernie call his Aunt Ester?
(a) Aunt Tel.
(d) Aunt Malo.
15. When is pinole used?
(b) Easter Sunday.
(d) Only during the week.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following can offer the village people protection from the devil?
2. Where did Ernie's mother keep her knick-knacks and heirlooms?
3. What do Ernie and his mother bring to the mother of a dead boy?
4. Who makes ropes and crates in the village?
5. Who is the beheaded hero that the men in the village sometimes sing about?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)