|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the central theme of Cleofas' version of Jalco's history?
2. What two items was Ernie's mother allowed to keep after the divorce?
(a) Her ring and her sewing machine.
(b) Her car and her piano.
(c) Her locket and her son.
(d) Her burro and her silver ring.
3. How does Ernie receive his education, for the most part?
(a) From watching the people around him.
(b) By going to the local church and being taught by the Pastor.
(c) By travelling twice a week to Tepic.
(d) From his elder cousin, through homeschool.
4. What is the hanging platform called that Ernie slept on as a child?
(a) A cama.
(b) A hammock.
(c) A tapanco.
(d) A mesa.
5. How did the residents of the village keep the street in front of their cottages clean?
(a) Hiring a street cleaner.
(b) Sprinkling water on it.
(c) Blocking it with stones.
(d) Clearing it with a leaf blower.
6. Why does the priest expel Josy?
(a) For making up Spanish translations of a Latin ritual.
(b) For not ending this prayers correctly.
(c) For speaking during the litergy.
(d) For refusing to sing with the choir.
7. When is pinole used?
(a) Easter Sunday.
(c) Only during the week.
8. What does the Lopez family seem to think the priests are more preoccupied with than saving souls?
(a) Moving up in the church.
(b) Saving themselves.
(c) Being treated well.
(d) Making money.
9. What is suggested after the author's stories circulate at a scholarly meeting?
(a) That he stop telling stories.
(b) That he make a movie.
(c) That he write a book.
(d) That he speak at more scholarly meetings.
10. Who is overheard saying that "nothing ever happens" in Jalcocotbn?
(a) Dosa Henriqueta.
(c) Uncle Josy.
(d) Don Chano.
11. How much older than Ernie is Josy?
(a) 10 years.
(b) 12 years.
(c) 9 years.
(d) 5 years.
12. How do Ernie and his cousins view the rooster?
(a) As a scaredy cat.
(b) As brave.
(c) As stupid.
(d) As lazy.
13. What type of language does Gustavo teach Ernie in section 2?
(c) An ancient Indian language.
(d) Pig latin.
14. What information about Jalcocotbn is shared at the beginning of the story?
(a) Information about the financial situation.
(b) Information about the political state in the city.
(c) Information about it's physical characteristics and history.
(d) Information about the lack of education and work in the city.
15. What does Ernie call his Aunt Ester?
(a) Aunt Malo.
(d) Aunt Tel.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ernie learn to roast coffee beans?
2. What type of animal is the family pet while Ernie lives in Jalco?
3. What did the Spaniards do to some of the Indians when they came to Mexico?
4. What profession do Ernie and his cousins vow never to become in Part One, Section 7?
5. What slang term for cowardly is used by Ernie's mother in Part One, Section 4?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)