|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of beverage was drunk by the mourners of Cudjo's grandfather?
(a) Darjeeling tea.
(c) Palm wine.
2. What is NOT named among the fruits for which Cudjo and his sibings would search the woods during his childhood?
3. What does Cudjo name as his first inclination regarding the likely reason for the chief's decision to summon boys over the age of 14?
(a) He thought the boys would begin to be taxed.
(b) He thought the boys would be sold as slaves.
(c) He thought the boys would be put into the army.
(d) He thought the boys would have marriages arranged for them.
4. How old does Cudjo say he had been when he had last seen Africa?
5. At what time does Hurston arrive at Cudjo's house at the start of Chapter II?
(b) 7 o'clock in the evening.
(d) 8 o'clock in the morning.
6. The text states that the Dahoman year was split into two parts that included what two elements?
(a) Wars and festivals.
(b) Marriages and funerals.
(c) Celebrations and mourning.
(d) Spring and summer.
7. Cudjo's house in Alabama is within sight distance of whose house?
(a) Cudjo's granddaughter.
(b) Cudjo's caretaker.
(c) Cudjo's daughter-in-law.
(d) Cudjo's sister-in-law.
8. What sign does Hurston name as indicating that Cudjo is somewhere close by his house?
(a) The front gate is unlocked.
(b) The front door is standing open.
(c) His great-granddaughters are on the porch.
(d) There is a fire going in the fire pit.
9. The well from which Cudjo draws his water at his Alabama home lies between two rows of what type of crop?
10. By whom is the Introduction to Barracoon written?
(a) Deborah G. Plant.
(b) Alice Walker.
(c) Zora Neale Hurston.
11. How long in total had the voyage to buy slaves taken the men on the Clotilde?
12. What does Cudjo say had been the name of the god he had worshiped in Africa?
13. Cudjo states that he had been nearly what age when the chief had sent for all boys over the age of 14?
14. Cudjo tells Hurston that he remembers everything that has ever happened to him since he had been a youth of what age?
15. How many days pass between Cudjo telling Hurston about his grandfather's death and her next visit to his home?
(a) 6 days.
(b) 2 days.
(c) 1 months.
(d) 3 weeks.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the time of the interviews, Cudjo was living in what town in Alabama?
2. Who sells Cudjo to the white North American slavers?
3. How long after a woman's husband dies is she allowed to wed, according to Cudjo when talking about his former community in Africa?
4. Cudjo says that when a new wife comes to a house, she at first lives with whom until she gets her own house?
5. The four men responsible for the deal that resulted in Cudjo's status as a slave included how many of the Meaher brothers?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)