|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what does Bartholo complain?
2. What does Rosine do in her free time?
3. What does Figaro promise to do?
4. What does Figaro suggest is impossible?
5. What does Rosine hand to Figaro?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens as the Count comes in, disguised as a soldier and pretending to be drunk? What is he trying to do the Bartholo to distract him? Is he successful?
2. How does the Count gain entrance into the home and to see Rosine? Who's plan might this have been? Why do you believe this?
3. What does the letter the Count gives to Bartholo reveal? How does Rosine react to this news? Does Bartholo seem to notice her reaction? Why or why not?
4. Why do the servants say that they did not stop Figaro from coming in? How will Bartholo treat Figaro from now on? Why?
5. What is Bartholo doing, as this scene opens? Why might she be refusing to take lessons from him?
6. What does Figaro say at the end of the play? What does this say about the playwright's opinion of youth, age, and love?
7. After Figaro tells his story, how does this first part of Act 1 end? How might Figaro's attitude help the Count?
8. What does the Count say when he realizes they are trapped? Predict what will happen in the next scene.
9. Who is the authority in Bartholo's home in this scene?
10. What is Figaro's plan? Why will the Count's disguise get him into the house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The play takes place in Seville, Spain.
Part 1) Where do the scenes take place?
Part 2) Why might be the reason for the playwright choosing this specific setting?
Part 3) Why is the setting in Spain, when the original language and playwright are French?
Essay Topic 2
The phrase "futile precaution" is mentioned several times.
Part 1) What does it mean?
Part 2) When is it used?
Part 3) How does this phrase add to Figaro's cleverness and skill?
Essay Topic 3
Rosine is locked up by Bartholo.
Part 1) Why has he locked her up?
Part 2) Is this a frequently used aspect of theatre? Why or why not?
Part 3) Is Rosine saved? Does she have any control over her freedom? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,118 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)