|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kept the audience's interest?
2. What does the Count knock out of Bartholo's hand?
3. What does Rosine say as she stands at her window?
4. How does Count Almaviva feel about his situation?
5. Who does Figaro say he was talking to on the street?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Figaro reassure the Count about his desire to marry Rosine? Why is Figaro so invested in the Count's interests?
2. Why is the Count worried that Rosine might not leave with them to be married?
3. How does Rosine learn that her lover is not who he says he is? How does she misconstrue the information? Why does the playwright include this misunderstanding?
4. What is Figaro's plan? Do you believe this plan will work? Why or why not?
5. How does Rosine react to the news about the man's love? Why does she tell Figaro the man must remain calm? Do you believe he will be able to remain calm? Why or why not?
6. Why does the Count reveal his identity? How is her reaction? Why is she so easily able to change her feelings?
7. What strategy does Rosine use after she has switched the letters? How is her strategy even better than the Count's?
8. What does Rosine do after the Count has sung and played the guitar for awhile? Why does she do this?
9. What remark does Figaro make when the Count romantically comments on Rosine's attractiveness? Why does he do this?
10. What does the Count say when he realizes they are trapped? Predict what will happen in the next scene.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Count and Figaro know one another.
Part 1) How do they know one another?
Part 2) Why does Figaro offer his services to the Count?
Part 3) Why might the playwright have chosen a lowly barber and a prominent Count to be friends and cohorts?
Essay Topic 2
The Count as "Alonzo" gives Rosine voice lessons.
Part 1) What is significant about the song he gives her to sing?
Part 2) How is this song used to add humor to the scene?
Part 3) How does this voice lesson reinforce aspects of commedia dell'arte?
Essay Topic 3
Bazile can easily be won over with money.
Part 1) Give three examples of this.
Part 2) How has he hurt and helped the Count?
Part 3) What commedia character does he represent? Would an audience have been satisfied by this character? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,199 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)