|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what commedia type is Bazile based?
2. On what does Rosine hope Bartholo chokes?
3. What does Rosine do after awhile of listening to the Count?
4. How do Bartholo's servants respond when he asks them why they did not tell him that Figaro had been in to see Rosine?
5. Where is the Count playing the guitar and singing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bartholo shout, as he storms into the room? Does Bartholo believe that Rosine dropped the song by accident, out of her window? How do you know this?
2. Although Rosine is under the legal marrying age, why does the Count say the marriage is legitimate? What does this say about the wealthy at the time the play was written and about the playwright's opinion of the wealthy?
3. How does Rosine learn that her lover is not who he says he is? How does she misconstrue the information? Why does the playwright include this misunderstanding?
4. What happens as the Count comes in, disguised as a soldier and pretending to be drunk? What is he trying to do the Bartholo to distract him? Is he successful?
5. Why is the Count worried that Rosine might not leave with them to be married?
6. Who does Figaro tell "Lindor" is? Why does he say this?
7. How does the Count reveal he is feeling uncertain about the plan? About what is he uncertain? Does he make a good choice? Why or why not?
8. How does Figaro reassure the Count about his desire to marry Rosine? Why is Figaro so invested in the Count's interests?
9. Why is the Count surprised to see Figaro? What is Figaro's response to the Count's questioning? What might be the significance of Figaro being a barber?
10. How does Rosine react to the news about the man's love? Why does she tell Figaro the man must remain calm? Do you believe he will be able to remain calm? Why or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This play is an example of commedia dell'arte.
Part 1) What is commedia dell'arte?
Part 2) What aspects of this play prove it is a commedia?
Part 3) What forms of entertainment today could be considered commedia?
Essay Topic 2
Figaro and the Count are frequently left surprised or in a panic.
Part 1) Why?
Part 2) What often surprises them or panics them?
Part 3) How does this change their plans?
Essay Topic 3
Figaro and the Count's plan to free Rosine at midnight is thwarted.
Part 1) How so? Why does the playwright throw a wrench in the works?
Part 2) How is their plan changed? How does this plan draw in the viewer?
Part 3) Is this plan successful? How?
This section contains 1,198 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)