|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bartholo challenge the Count to do?
2. What does Bartholo see the Count putting back in his pocket?
3. To what does Rosine's letter refer?
4. What does the Count comically struggle to do?
5. What would Rosine prefer the man to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Figaro tell "Lindor" is? Why does he say this?
2. How is Rosine able to be alone and free? What might she be writing in her letter to "Lindor?"
3. What is Figaro's plan? Why will the Count's disguise get him into the house?
4. What does the Count say when he realizes they are trapped? Predict what will happen in the next scene.
5. How does Rosine learn that her lover is not who he says he is? How does she misconstrue the information? Why does the playwright include this misunderstanding?
6. What is the only defect Figaro mentions this man having? How does Rosine react to this hint? Why does Figaro not tell her right away who this man loves?
7. What does Rosine do when she believes that "Lindor" was deceiving her, expressing love on someone else's behalf? How does this heighten the suspense?
8. What does the Count know about Rosine? How does Figaro correct the Count about his knowledge of this woman? How does knowledge help the play progress?
9. How is Figaro's plan discovered? What will this mean for his plan?
10. Why is the Count worried that Rosine might not leave with them to be married?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Figaro devises a plan to get himself and the Count into Rosine's home.
Part 1) What is this plan?
Part 2) Is his plan successful? Why or why not?
Part 3) Would you imagine that his plan and behavior are fairly standard for commedia dell'arte? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Figaro is a barber.
Part 1) What else has Figaro been?
Part 2) Why does he become a barber?
Part 3) What role does his working as a barber play in this theatrical work?
Part 4) Why might the playwright have chosen this as his profession?
Essay Topic 3
The Count sings to Rosine.
Part 1) Why does he sing to her?
Part 2) Is this typical of theatre at this time? Why or why not?
Part 3) Why is singing included in this play? How have plays evolved over time, regarding the use of music?
This section contains 1,128 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)