|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rosine say as she stands at her window?
2. What is Figaro's comment regarding women being locked up?
3. How does Rosine react when Figaro tells her the truth about this man?
4. How do Bartholo's servants respond when he asks them why they did not tell him that Figaro had been in to see Rosine?
5. What does the Count do while telling Bartholo to do his duty to the military and put him up for the night?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Count do when Bartholo sees him putting the letter back in his pocket? What tactic does he add this time? Is he successful?
2. What remark does Figaro make when the Count romantically comments on Rosine's attractiveness? Why does he do this?
3. Why does Rosine change her mind and decide to take a music lesson? Does Rosine know of the Count's plan? How does she react when she sees him?
4. Where can the Count find Figaro after he is in his disguise? Why does Figaro give this much detail about his location?
5. What does Figaro learn, while in a cupboard? What does Bazile suggest to Bartholo? What would be the outcome of this?
6. Why does Bazile take money from the Count? How does his desire for money help the characters in this story?
7. What is Bartholo doing, as this scene opens? Why might she be refusing to take lessons from him?
8. What does Rosine do after the Count has sung and played the guitar for awhile? Why does she do this?
9. What connection do Rosine and the Count make with the audience after she finishes singing? How do they feel? Why do they feel this way?
10. What does Rosine do when she believes that "Lindor" was deceiving her, expressing love on someone else's behalf? How does this heighten the suspense?
Essay Topic 1
Figaro is a barber.
Part 1) What else has Figaro been?
Part 2) Why does he become a barber?
Part 3) What role does his working as a barber play in this theatrical work?
Part 4) Why might the playwright have chosen this as his profession?
Essay Topic 2
Figaro sarcastically remarks on Rosine's cleverness.
Part 1) What makes her clever?
Part 2) Why does Figaro make sarcastic remarks about Rosine?
Part 3) How might an audience respond to Figaro's various asides?
Essay Topic 3
Figaro and the Count's plan to free Rosine at midnight is thwarted.
Part 1) How so? Why does the playwright throw a wrench in the works?
Part 2) How is their plan changed? How does this plan draw in the viewer?
Part 3) Is this plan successful? How?
This section contains 1,949 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)