|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what does Figaro remind the Count?
2. Why does Bartholo send Rosine out?
3. What has taught Figaro to be so positive.?
4. What is Figaro about to do, when the Count asks how to find him?
5. On what commedia type is Bazile based?
Short Essay Questions
1. What strategy does Rosine use after she has switched the letters? How is her strategy even better than the Count's?
2. Why would the letter from Rosine ask the Count to sing?
3. Why does Rosine change her mind and decide to take a music lesson? Does Rosine know of the Count's plan? How does she react when she sees him?
4. What does the Count say when he realizes they are trapped? Predict what will happen in the next scene.
5. How does Rosine react to the news about the man's love? Why does she tell Figaro the man must remain calm? Do you believe he will be able to remain calm? Why or why not?
6. How does the Count feel about his position? Why does he feel this way? Will the Count succeed in what he wishes for?
7. What does the letter the Count gives to Bartholo reveal? How does Rosine react to this news? Does Bartholo seem to notice her reaction? Why or why not?
8. What does the Count want Figaro to call him? Why? What might be Figaro's thoughts on this?
9. Who is the authority in Bartholo's home in this scene?
10. How does the Count gain entrance into the home and to see Rosine? Who's plan might this have been? Why do you believe this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Count as "Alonzo" gives Rosine voice lessons.
Part 1) What is significant about the song he gives her to sing?
Part 2) How is this song used to add humor to the scene?
Part 3) How does this voice lesson reinforce aspects of commedia dell'arte?
Essay Topic 2
Bartholo seems to know everything that has been going on behind his back.
Part 1) How does he know all of this?
Part 2) What role does Bazile play in Bartholo's understanding?
Part 3) Why does the playwright allow him to know what is going on, yet be unable to stop it?
Essay Topic 3
The Count disguises himself as Lindor, a priest.
Part 1) Why does he disguise himself?
Part 2) Why would he choose to be disguised as a priest?
Part 3) How does his disguise add to the comedic aspect of this play?
This section contains 2,008 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)