|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Count vow to do?
2. At a performance of this play when it was first written, what expectations would the audience have had?
3. Why does Figaro leave Madrid and cheerfully wander through Spain?
4. How does Figaro tease Rosine?
5. Rosine wonders whether Bartholo thinks she would not be able to resist even the attractions of a servant like Figaro, which leads Bartholo to make what suggestion?
Short Essay Questions
1. What remark does Figaro make when the Count romantically comments on Rosine's attractiveness? Why does he do this?
2. After Figaro tells his story, how does this first part of Act 1 end? How might Figaro's attitude help the Count?
3. What does Bartholo shout, as he storms into the room? Does Bartholo believe that Rosine dropped the song by accident, out of her window? How do you know this?
4. How does Rosine act when she sees the Count? How does she react when he tells her the letter was from him? Why does he still not reveal his identity?
5. Although Rosine is under the legal marrying age, why does the Count say the marriage is legitimate? What does this say about the wealthy at the time the play was written and about the playwright's opinion of the wealthy?
6. What does Rosine do after the Count has sung and played the guitar for awhile? Why does she do this?
7. How does Rosine react when she hears she is to be married? What does Figaro promise? Will he be able to keep his promise? Why or why not?
8. What do the various characters do to keep Bazile from telling Bartholo this is all a ruse? How is Bazile's support finally won? How does this satisfy the audience of a commedia?
9. Why does the Count reveal his identity? How is her reaction? Why is she so easily able to change her feelings?
10. How does Rosine react to the news about the man's love? Why does she tell Figaro the man must remain calm? Do you believe he will be able to remain calm? Why or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bazile can easily be won over with money.
Part 1) Give three examples of this.
Part 2) How has he hurt and helped the Count?
Part 3) What commedia character does he represent? Would an audience have been satisfied by this character? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The Count as "Alonzo" gives Rosine voice lessons.
Part 1) What is significant about the song he gives her to sing?
Part 2) How is this song used to add humor to the scene?
Part 3) How does this voice lesson reinforce aspects of commedia dell'arte?
Essay Topic 3
Rosine is alone at last and free to do as she pleases in Act 2, Part 1.
Part 1) How does she gain this freedom?
Part 2) What does she do with her freedom?
Part 3) How does this first moment of freedom begin the sequence of events that leads to her absolute freedom?
This section contains 2,275 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)