|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Count vow to do?
2. What does Bartholo suggest is the best way to deal with the Count?
3. What does the count do as Figaro continues his story?
4. What is Figaro carrying with him, when he arrives?
5. What does Bartholo threaten to have done to the Count?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rosine say about the paper she is holding? What might be significant about this paper?
2. What does Figaro learn, while in a cupboard? What does Bazile suggest to Bartholo? What would be the outcome of this?
3. What does the Count say when he realizes they are trapped? Predict what will happen in the next scene.
4. What does Rosine tell Figaro to tell "Lindor?" How will this news affect "Lindor?"
5. What is comedic in this scene, regarding Rosine's singing? How is this a display of commedia?
6. What does the Count want Figaro to call him? Why? What might be Figaro's thoughts on this?
7. How does Figaro respond when Bartholo calls him a knave? What is a knave?
8. How is Rosine able to be alone and free? What might she be writing in her letter to "Lindor?"
9. How does the Count reveal he is feeling uncertain about the plan? About what is he uncertain? Does he make a good choice? Why or why not?
10. What does the Count do when Bartholo sees him putting the letter back in his pocket? What tactic does he add this time? Is he successful?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rosine is alone at last and free to do as she pleases in Act 2, Part 1.
Part 1) How does she gain this freedom?
Part 2) What does she do with her freedom?
Part 3) How does this first moment of freedom begin the sequence of events that leads to her absolute freedom?
Essay Topic 2
The play takes place in Seville, Spain.
Part 1) Where do the scenes take place?
Part 2) Why might be the reason for the playwright choosing this specific setting?
Part 3) Why is the setting in Spain, when the original language and playwright are French?
Essay Topic 3
Rosine is locked up by Bartholo.
Part 1) Why has he locked her up?
Part 2) Is this a frequently used aspect of theatre? Why or why not?
Part 3) Is Rosine saved? Does she have any control over her freedom? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,184 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)