|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Count insist that Bartholo show him?
2. For what does the Count long?
3. How does Figaro tease Rosine?
4. What does the letter tell Bartholo to do?
5. What does Figaro say is the man's only defect?
Short Essay Questions
1. Of what does Bartholo accuse Figaro? How does he know about the relationship between Rosine and the Count? Will she be able to escape from the prison this man has put her in?
2. How does the Count feel about his position? Why does he feel this way? Will the Count succeed in what he wishes for?
3. How does Rosine react when she hears she is to be married? What does Figaro promise? Will he be able to keep his promise? Why or why not?
4. What does the Count do when Bartholo sees him putting the letter back in his pocket? What tactic does he add this time? Is he successful?
5. Why does Bazile take money from the Count? How does his desire for money help the characters in this story?
6. How does Rosine learn that her lover is not who he says he is? How does she misconstrue the information? Why does the playwright include this misunderstanding?
7. What do the Count and Figaro learn about the song? Why does Bartholo have such an interest in this song?
8. Why does Rosine change her mind and decide to take a music lesson? Does Rosine know of the Count's plan? How does she react when she sees him?
9. What does Rosine do after the Count has sung and played the guitar for awhile? Why does she do this?
10. What does the letter the Count gives to Bartholo reveal? How does Rosine react to this news? Does Bartholo seem to notice her reaction? Why or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Figaro describes "Lindor" to Rosine.
Part 1) How does Figaro describe him?
Part 2) Why does Figaro describe him this way?
Part 3) What does Figaro say about this man that intrigues Rosine?
Part 4) How does Rosine respond? Why does she respond this way?
Essay Topic 2
Figaro tells the Count "difficulties only add spice to the undertaking."
Part 1) What does he mean by this?
Part 2) How does Figaro feel about this undertaking?
Part 3) Why is he encouraging the Count?
Essay Topic 3
Bazile can easily be won over with money.
Part 1) Give three examples of this.
Part 2) How has he hurt and helped the Count?
Part 3) What commedia character does he represent? Would an audience have been satisfied by this character? Why or why not?
This section contains 2,020 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)