|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Bartholo going to keep "accidents" from happening?
2. What does Bartholo see the Count putting back in his pocket?
3. What does Figaro say is the man's only defect?
4. What does the Count do, regarding Rosine's song?
5. What would Rosine prefer the man to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do you know that Rosine is cunning and intelligent?
2. What happens as the Count comes in, disguised as a soldier and pretending to be drunk? What is he trying to do the Bartholo to distract him? Is he successful?
3. Why would the letter from Rosine ask the Count to sing?
4. Why does the Count reveal his identity? How is her reaction? Why is she so easily able to change her feelings?
5. What is Figaro's plan? Why will the Count's disguise get him into the house?
6. Who is Figaro? What is he doing as the audience and reader first meet him? What might be his role throughout the play?
7. How does the scene open? Why is the Count dressed in a disguise?
8. What does Rosine do with the paper? How might this small prop draw the audience into the story?
9. How does Figaro reassure the Count about his desire to marry Rosine? Why is Figaro so invested in the Count's interests?
10. Why does Bazile take money from the Count? How does his desire for money help the characters in this story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rosine stands at her window holing a paper.
Part 1) What is on this paper? What does she do with this paper?
Part 2) What is significant about papers, letters, and notes in commedia?
Part 3) how are letters and other papers used to add excitement, confusion, and humor in this play?
Essay Topic 2
The Count disguises himself as Lindor, a priest.
Part 1) Why does he disguise himself?
Part 2) Why would he choose to be disguised as a priest?
Part 3) How does his disguise add to the comedic aspect of this play?
Essay Topic 3
Bartholo seems to know everything that has been going on behind his back.
Part 1) How does he know all of this?
Part 2) What role does Bazile play in Bartholo's understanding?
Part 3) Why does the playwright allow him to know what is going on, yet be unable to stop it?
This section contains 1,273 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)