|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Figaro offer the Count?
2. Why is Count Almaviva disguised as a priest in a cloak and turned down hat?
3. What does the Count vow to do?
4. Why does the Count ask what Figaro is doing in Seville?
5. Rosine wonders whether Bartholo thinks she would not be able to resist even the attractions of a servant like Figaro, which leads Bartholo to make what suggestion?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rosine tell Figaro to tell "Lindor?" How will this news affect "Lindor?"
2. How is Rosine able to be alone and free? What might she be writing in her letter to "Lindor?"
3. Why is the Count worried that Rosine might not leave with them to be married?
4. What does the Count know about Rosine? How does Figaro correct the Count about his knowledge of this woman? How does knowledge help the play progress?
5. How does Rosine react when she hears she is to be married? What does Figaro promise? Will he be able to keep his promise? Why or why not?
6. What does the Count say when he realizes they are trapped? Predict what will happen in the next scene.
7. What does Rosine do after the Count has sung and played the guitar for awhile? Why does she do this?
8. What does the Count do when Bartholo sees him putting the letter back in his pocket? What tactic does he add this time? Is he successful?
9. How does Rosine react to the news about the man's love? Why does she tell Figaro the man must remain calm? Do you believe he will be able to remain calm? Why or why not?
10. How does the Count reveal he is feeling uncertain about the plan? About what is he uncertain? Does he make a good choice? Why or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Figaro tells the Count "difficulties only add spice to the undertaking."
Part 1) What does he mean by this?
Part 2) How does Figaro feel about this undertaking?
Part 3) Why is he encouraging the Count?
Essay Topic 2
The Count and Figaro know one another.
Part 1) How do they know one another?
Part 2) Why does Figaro offer his services to the Count?
Part 3) Why might the playwright have chosen a lowly barber and a prominent Count to be friends and cohorts?
Essay Topic 3
The phrase "futile precaution" is mentioned several times.
Part 1) What does it mean?
Part 2) When is it used?
Part 3) How does this phrase add to Figaro's cleverness and skill?
This section contains 1,222 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)