|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rosine do after awhile of listening to the Count?
2. How does Figaro learn that Bazile tells Bartholo that the Count is in town, has taken rooms at a fancy hotel and is going out every evening in disguise?
3. As Figaro finishes singing his new composition, what does he realize about the "priest?"
4. For what does the Count long?
5. What place does Figaro describe to the Count?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the various characters do to keep Bazile from telling Bartholo this is all a ruse? How is Bazile's support finally won? How does this satisfy the audience of a commedia?
2. What is comedic in this scene, regarding Rosine's singing? How is this a display of commedia?
3. How does Rosine react to Bartholo's accusations? How might this hurt her chances of being with the Count?
4. How does Figaro reassure the Count about his desire to marry Rosine? Why is Figaro so invested in the Count's interests?
5. What does Bartholo shout, as he storms into the room? Does Bartholo believe that Rosine dropped the song by accident, out of her window? How do you know this?
6. Where can the Count find Figaro after he is in his disguise? Why does Figaro give this much detail about his location?
7. How does Rosine learn that her lover is not who he says he is? How does she misconstrue the information? Why does the playwright include this misunderstanding?
8. What does Rosine do when she hears Bartholo coming? How might she handle him on his return?
9. What does the Count want Figaro to call him? Why? What might be Figaro's thoughts on this?
10. How does the Count reveal he is feeling uncertain about the plan? About what is he uncertain? Does he make a good choice? Why or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This play is an example of commedia dell'arte.
Part 1) What is commedia dell'arte?
Part 2) What aspects of this play prove it is a commedia?
Part 3) What forms of entertainment today could be considered commedia?
Essay Topic 2
The play takes place in Seville, Spain.
Part 1) Where do the scenes take place?
Part 2) Why might be the reason for the playwright choosing this specific setting?
Part 3) Why is the setting in Spain, when the original language and playwright are French?
Essay Topic 3
Figaro devises a plan to get himself and the Count into Rosine's home.
Part 1) What is this plan?
Part 2) Is his plan successful? Why or why not?
Part 3) Would you imagine that his plan and behavior are fairly standard for commedia dell'arte? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,198 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)