|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what commedia type is Bazile based?
2. Why does the Count ask what Figaro is doing in Seville?
3. Why does Figaro lend the Count his guitar, telling him to sing anything that comes into his mind?
4. What has taught Figaro to be so positive.?
5. What does Bartholo challenge the Count to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What remark does Figaro make when the Count romantically comments on Rosine's attractiveness? Why does he do this?
2. After Figaro tells his story, how does this first part of Act 1 end? How might Figaro's attitude help the Count?
3. What does the letter the Count gives to Bartholo reveal? How does Rosine react to this news? Does Bartholo seem to notice her reaction? Why or why not?
4. Why is the Count worried that Rosine might not leave with them to be married?
5. Of what does Bartholo accuse Figaro? How does he know about the relationship between Rosine and the Count? Will she be able to escape from the prison this man has put her in?
6. How does his choice to follow with the original plan lead to seeing Rosine? What is his fear about her voice lesson? To what might this voice lesson lead, in the next part of Act 3?
7. How does the Count gain entrance into the home and to see Rosine? Who's plan might this have been? Why do you believe this?
8. Why does the Count reveal his identity? How is her reaction? Why is she so easily able to change her feelings?
9. Why does Rosine change her mind and decide to take a music lesson? Does Rosine know of the Count's plan? How does she react when she sees him?
10. Bartholo realizes "Alonzo" is not who he says he is, and "Alonzo" pretends to get upset, what does Rosine do? Do you believe this will happen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The play takes place in Seville, Spain.
Part 1) Where do the scenes take place?
Part 2) Why might be the reason for the playwright choosing this specific setting?
Part 3) Why is the setting in Spain, when the original language and playwright are French?
Essay Topic 2
Figaro devises a plan to get himself and the Count into Rosine's home.
Part 1) What is this plan?
Part 2) Is his plan successful? Why or why not?
Part 3) Would you imagine that his plan and behavior are fairly standard for commedia dell'arte? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The phrase "futile precaution" is mentioned several times.
Part 1) What does it mean?
Part 2) When is it used?
Part 3) How does this phrase add to Figaro's cleverness and skill?
This section contains 1,232 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)