|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rosine do in her free time?
2. What does the Count say about Bartholo's skills as a doctor?
3. On what commedia type is Bazile based?
4. Rosine wonders whether Bartholo thinks she would not be able to resist even the attractions of a servant like Figaro, which leads Bartholo to make what suggestion?
5. What does she tell Figaro to tell "Lindor?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rosine do with the paper? How might this small prop draw the audience into the story?
2. What does Rosine do when she believes that "Lindor" was deceiving her, expressing love on someone else's behalf? How does this heighten the suspense?
3. How is Figaro's plan discovered? What will this mean for his plan?
4. How does his choice to follow with the original plan lead to seeing Rosine? What is his fear about her voice lesson? To what might this voice lesson lead, in the next part of Act 3?
5. Why does Bazile take money from the Count? How does his desire for money help the characters in this story?
6. What does the Count want Figaro to call him? Why? What might be Figaro's thoughts on this?
7. What does the Count know about Rosine? How does Figaro correct the Count about his knowledge of this woman? How does knowledge help the play progress?
8. Why would the letter from Rosine ask the Count to sing?
9. What does Rosine say about the paper she is holding? What might be significant about this paper?
10. What do the various characters do to keep Bazile from telling Bartholo this is all a ruse? How is Bazile's support finally won? How does this satisfy the audience of a commedia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Figaro tells the Count "difficulties only add spice to the undertaking."
Part 1) What does he mean by this?
Part 2) How does Figaro feel about this undertaking?
Part 3) Why is he encouraging the Count?
Essay Topic 2
Figaro is a barber.
Part 1) What else has Figaro been?
Part 2) Why does he become a barber?
Part 3) What role does his working as a barber play in this theatrical work?
Part 4) Why might the playwright have chosen this as his profession?
Essay Topic 3
Rosine is locked up by Bartholo.
Part 1) Why has he locked her up?
Part 2) Is this a frequently used aspect of theatre? Why or why not?
Part 3) Is Rosine saved? Does she have any control over her freedom? Why or why not?
This section contains 2,087 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)