|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Figaro about to do, when the Count asks how to find him?
(a) Take a nap.
(b) Go to the house.
(c) Run off.
(d) Climb a tree.
2. What does Figaro offer the Count?
(a) A song to sing to his love.
(b) A poem for his maiden.
(c) A violin to play sweetly.
(d) His services in any capacity.
3. Why does Figaro tell the Count to pose as a drunken member of a military detachment in town and introduce himself to Bartholo?
(a) Bartholo will be obliged to get drunk with him.
(b) Bartholo will be obliged to invite him in.
(c) Bartholo has a soft spot in his heart for soldiers.
(d) Bartholo loves the talk about war.
4. What does Rosine say about the man that Figaro was with?
(a) He was very handsome.
(b) She is sure he is a wonderful man.
(c) She is sure he will soon make a good name for himself.
(d) He should go back to Madrid where he belongs.
5. On what commedia type is Bazile based?
(a) The fighter.
(b) The self-absorbed, money-grasping old man.
(c) The lover.
(d) The stupid servant.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Rosine's letter refer?
2. The Count grabs his gun and does what?
3. Why does the Count ask what Figaro is doing in Seville?
4. What does Bartholo do after some more unhelpful questions and answers?
5. What does Figaro tell the Count about Rosine's music teacher?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Count gain entrance into the home and to see Rosine? Who's plan might this have been? Why do you believe this?
2. What is the only defect Figaro mentions this man having? How does Rosine react to this hint? Why does Figaro not tell her right away who this man loves?
3. How does his choice to follow with the original plan lead to seeing Rosine? What is his fear about her voice lesson? To what might this voice lesson lead, in the next part of Act 3?
4. What does Figaro learn, while in a cupboard? What does Bazile suggest to Bartholo? What would be the outcome of this?
5. Why does Bazile take money from the Count? How does his desire for money help the characters in this story?
6. What does the letter the Count gives to Bartholo reveal? How does Rosine react to this news? Does Bartholo seem to notice her reaction? Why or why not?
7. How does Figaro respond when Bartholo calls him a knave? What is a knave?
8. Why would the letter from Rosine ask the Count to sing?
9. What does the Count say when he realizes they are trapped? Predict what will happen in the next scene.
10. Of what does Bartholo accuse Figaro? How does he know about the relationship between Rosine and the Count? Will she be able to escape from the prison this man has put her in?
This section contains 1,230 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)