|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Count instantly resolve to do?
(a) Court her and marry her.
(b) Leave and go home.
(c) Beg her to divorce her husband.
(d) Get her psychological help.
2. Why does Figaro say he feels "Lindor's" passion?
(a) Figaro is more passionate than "Lindor."
(b) "Lindor's" passion is so intense.
(c) Figaro is in love with Rosine.
(d) "Lindor" is not passionate enough.
3. How is a commedia and today's example similar?
(a) Both have central characters that generally behave the same way no matter the specifics of the story in which they are involved.
(b) Both have music.
(c) Both have dramatic events.
(d) Both have tragic endings.
4. How does the Count meet Rosine?
(a) By chance at the store.
(b) At his home.
(c) At a party help in Madrid.
(d) By chance on a street in Madrid.
5. Where does this story take place?
(a) Seville, Spain.
(b) Madrid, Spain.
(c) London, England.
(d) Paris, France.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Figaro suggest is impossible?
2. To what does Rosine's letter refer?
3. On what does the Count romantically comment?
4. How does Figaro learn that Bazile tells Bartholo that the Count is in town, has taken rooms at a fancy hotel and is going out every evening in disguise?
5. How does Figaro surprise Rosine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Figaro's plan? Do you believe this plan will work? Why or why not?
2. Who is Figaro? What is he doing as the audience and reader first meet him? What might be his role throughout the play?
3. What is Bartholo doing, as this scene opens? Why might she be refusing to take lessons from him?
4. What happens as the Count comes in, disguised as a soldier and pretending to be drunk? What is he trying to do the Bartholo to distract him? Is he successful?
5. After Figaro tells his story, how does this first part of Act 1 end? How might Figaro's attitude help the Count?
6. What does Bazile decide to do? Why? How does this decision help the Count, Figaro, and Rosine?
7. How does the Count reveal he is feeling uncertain about the plan? About what is he uncertain? Does he make a good choice? Why or why not?
8. What does Rosine do with the paper? How might this small prop draw the audience into the story?
9. What does the letter the Count gives to Bartholo reveal? How does Rosine react to this news? Does Bartholo seem to notice her reaction? Why or why not?
10. Where can the Count find Figaro after he is in his disguise? Why does Figaro give this much detail about his location?
This section contains 1,167 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)