|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Bazile's opinion, when is a husband asking for trouble?
(a) When he tries to control his wife.
(b) Marrying a woman who is not in love with her husband.
(c) Marrying too young.
(d) When he loves her more than she loves him.
2. Why does Bartholo panic and run for a chair?
(a) Rosine is throwing things at him.
(b) There is an earthquake.
(c) "Alonzo" is fighting him.
(d) Rosine lies and says she thinks she broke her ankle.
3. How do Bartholo and Bazile, carrying a lantern, appear?
(a) On a bright, sunny day.
(b) In the middle of a storm raging in the dark,
(c) In the middle of a dark night.
(d) In a cave.
4. Why does the Count insist that the marriage is an honorable one?
(a) He has a title and is rich.
(b) He got to her first.
(c) She loves him.
(d) He loves her.
5. What happens every time the Count kisses Rosine's hand?
(a) He makes a funny noise.
(b) Rosine sings louder.
(c) Rosine stops singing and Bartholo wakes up.
(d) Rosine giggles.
6. Why does Bazile witness the Count and Rosine sign the contract?
(a) He has grown to love Rosine.
(b) He cares for the Count.
(c) The Count tosses the confused Bazile a bag of money.
(d) He wants to see them both happy.
7. Why will Bazile and the notary not be there earlier?
(a) The notary does not do weddings before dinner.
(b) The notary is engaged to perform the wedding of Figaro's niece earlier in the afternoon.
(c) The notary will be out of town.
(d) The notary has a day job.
8. What does Bazile do when Bartholo asks for the cash back?
(a) He laughs.
(b) He gives it to him.
(c) He runs away with it.
(d) Bazile refuses to return it.
9. Why is Rosine shocked and humiliated?
(a) "Lindor" was in fact deceiving her, expressing love on someone else's behalf.
(b) "Lindor" no longer loves her.
(c) Neither Bartholo or "Lindor" will marry her.
(d) Figaro is the man she has been in love with.
10. What does Figaro do when he opens the window and sees the room is empty?
(a) He comes in and helps the Count to come in as well.
(b) He leaves.
(c) He climbs in but leaves the Count outside the window.
(d) He calls to see where everyone is.
11. How does the notary explain the apparent mix-up?
(a) "I must have written the wrong name down."
(b) "There are many girls in town named Rosine."
(c) "She must have finally decided which man she wanted to marry."
(d) "The brides are sisters and bear the same name."
12. Why does the Count tell Bartholo that he is here to teach Rosine singing?
(a) Bazile has quit.
(b) Bazile is not a good teacher.
(c) Bazile is ill.
(d) Bazile has moved.
13. Who does Bartholo say has authority?
(a) The Count has authority.
(b) Rosine, his love, has authority.
(c) The police have authority.
(d) The Count is in his home, so Bartholo is the one who has authority.
14. Rosine comes in, refusing to take any more music lessons from anybody. Why does she quickly change her mind?
(a) She thinks that Bazile is coming.
(b) When she sees "Alonzo" and instantly realizes who he is.
(c) She assumes Bazile has quit.
(d) "Alonzo" is handsome.
15. Why does Bartholo leave to get a basin?
(a) Figaro may get lost looking for one.
(b) He does not trust Figaro, and his servants are out of commission.
(c) He wants to wash his hands.
(d) Figaro does not know where they are.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does "Alonzo" say Bazile discovered was in town?
2. What does Bartholo say that confuses Bazile?
3. Why does the notary ask the Count to confirm that he is, in fact, Almaviva?
4. What does the notary do when Bartholo asks to see the contract?
5. What causes Bartholo to rush out of the room?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)