|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Rosine speak very coldly and formally to the Count?
(a) She is angry with Bartholo.
(b) She does not know who he is.
(c) She no longer loves him.
(d) She is still angry with him.
2. Why does the Count tell Bartholo that he is here to teach Rosine singing?
(a) Bazile is ill.
(b) Bazile is not a good teacher.
(c) Bazile has quit.
(d) Bazile has moved.
3. To whom does Figaro say he is in the company of the Count?
(d) One of the police officers.
4. How does Bartholo react to "Alonzo's" arrival?
(a) He is nervous.
(b) He is surprised.
(c) He is excited to meet the new teacher.
(d) He is immediately suspicious
5. Why does Bartholo tell "Alonzo" to speak loudly?
(a) He is deaf in one ear.
(b) There is a lot of noise in the house.
(c) Bartholo wants the entire house to hear him.
(d) "Alonzo" speaks so quietly.
6. What is Bartholo trying to understand about Rosine?
(a) Why she no longer talks to him.
(b) Why she does not want to marry him.
(c) Why she has stopped singing.
(d) Why she has refused to have any more lessons from Bazile.
7. For what does Bartholo apologize?
(a) Falling asleep.
(b) Not leaving them alone.
(c) Sitting in on the lesson.
(d) Leaving them alone.
8. In another aside, about what does the Count worry?
(a) He does not have any music to give to Rosine.
(b) If Rosine refuses to come out for the lesson.
(c) If Rosine will recognize him.
(d) He will not be able to pass as a voice teacher.
9. Why does the Count quickly change the plan, and tells the notary that the marriage between himself and Rosine scheduled for later that day is to be performed now?
(a) Bazile arrives with the notary.
(b) He cannot wait to marry Rosine.
(c) He wants Rosine to be his.
(d) He does not want to lose Rosine to Bartholo.
10. About what is Rosine worrying, when she comes out of her room?
(a) The storm has scared her.
(b) It is past midnight and her lover still has not come.
(c) Bartholo has not come to say good night.
(d) She heard a strange noise.
11. Who is Alonzo?
(a) Figaro's nephew.
(b) A student of Bazile, which is the Count's new disguise.
(c) Bartholo's nephew.
(d) Rosine's cousin.
12. What does the Count reveal in an aside?
(a) He is not sure if he trusts Bartholo.
(b) He is not sure if Rosine really loves him.
(c) He cannot decide whether it would be a better idea to keep the letter to himself, or follow through on the original plan and hand it over.
(d) He cannot decide if he should keep his disguise on or take it off.
13. When Bartholo asks to see the letter, about what is "Alonzo" concerned?
(a) Bartholo did not hear him when he said the letter was destroyed.
(b) Rosine will come in.
(c) Being overheard.
(d) He does not have a letter.
14. Why does Figaro try to change the subject by asking when he is going to be able to do his job and shave Bartholo?
(a) Bazile is clearly confused about who "Alonzo" is.
(b) He is nervous about having Bartholo in the room.
(c) He feels the tension in the air.
(d) He wants to shave Bartholo and go home.
15. Why does Bazile witness the Count and Rosine sign the contract?
(a) The Count tosses the confused Bazile a bag of money.
(b) He has grown to love Rosine.
(c) He cares for the Count.
(d) He wants to see them both happy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Bartholo gets past Figaro?
2. Why does Bartholo say Rosine had no right to marry the Count without his consent?
3. How do Bartholo and Bazile, carrying a lantern, appear?
4. With whom does Bartholo appear?
5. What does "Alonzo" say happened to the letter that Rosine had written to the Count?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)