|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which spirit do the thieve believe might have possessed Barabbas and killed him?
2. What does Barabbas do the night after the stoning?
3. What might Barabbas have been doing in Lebanon?
4. What secret about Eliahu does no one know?
5. What do Barabbas and Sahak speak of for the first few days above ground?
Short Essay Questions
1. What about Barabbas amazes Sahak?
2. What is Barabbas reaction to the true believer's action during the stoning?
3. How does Barabbas suffer for the man who died in his place?
4. After his initial whipping, what does Barabbas do while Sahak prays?
5. Why does Sahak refuse to the leave the mines without Barabbas?
6. Where might Barabbas might have been between the time that he left the thieves and when he was in the copper mines?
7. What explanation does Barabbas give the governor for the inscription on the back of his medallion?
8. How does the governor view Barabbas?
9. What does Barabbas do with the hare-lipped girl's body?
10. What happens to Sahak after he speaks to the governor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Sahak's attitude affect his character and other characters in the novel? What events and experiences appear to affect Sahak's attitude? What role does Sahak play in Barabbas's life and how does absence affect Barabbas's character?
Essay Topic 2
Other than death, what purpose did crucifixion serve in the first century? How did it affect members of society? What effect did it have on the characters in the novel? What link might be evident among all the crucifixions reported in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
What might be Barabbas's motivation for returning to the band of thieves? Compare and contrast the roles Barabbas plays within the band of thieves both before and after Jesus' crucifixion. What events and experiences influenced any change he might have experienced and why?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)