|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the one-eyed slave only have one eye?
2. How is Barabbas connected to Sahak?
3. What does the hare-lipped girl say before she dies?
4. What does the blind man accuse the hare-lipped girl of?
5. What does Sahak talk to the overseer about when questioned about his prayer activities?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Barabbas think about as he carries the hare-lipped girl's body?
2. What happens to Sahak after he speaks to the governor?
3. Describe Barabbas and Sahak's relationship above ground.
4. What heresy does the blind man accuse the hare-lipped girl of spreading?
5. Where might Barabbas might have been between the time that he left the thieves and when he was in the copper mines?
6. What miracle did Sahak claim to have received from God?
7. What explanation does Sahak give the governor for the inscription on the back of his medallion?
8. How do Sahak and Barabbas end up standing trial in front of the governor?
9. What is Barabbas reaction to the true believer's action during the stoning?
10. To what do the thieves attribute Barabbas's odd behavior?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the concept of ritual "uncleanliness." How does ritual uncleanliness differ from simply being dirty and needing a bath? What does the fear of ritual uncleanliness indicate about Barabbas's character? What irony is evident in this?
Essay Topic 2
How does the discussion of the Jewish Messiah at the fat woman's house affect Barabbas and the way he lives his life? How does Jesus differ from the Messiah that Barabbas and the others are expecting? How does their preconceived notions of a Messiah affect their ability to believe that Jesus is the Son of God?
Essay Topic 3
Other than death, what purpose did crucifixion serve in the first century? How did it affect members of society? What effect did it have on the characters in the novel? What link might be evident among all the crucifixions reported in the novel?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)