|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Barabbas kill at the stoning pit?
2. Where does Barabbas carry the hare-lipped girl's body?
3. What does Barabbas do the night after the stoning?
4. What was significant about Eliahu's attack on Barabbas?
5. What do the soldiers do once Sahak is dead?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Barabbas do with the hare-lipped girl's body?
2. What does Barabbas think about as he carries the hare-lipped girl's body?
3. What is Barabbas' reaction to Sahak's crucifixion?
4. What explanation does Barabbas give the governor for the inscription on the back of his medallion?
5. Where might Barabbas might have been between the time that he left the thieves and when he was in the copper mines?
6. Describe the one-eyed man.
7. Describe the hare-lipped girl's burial.
8. What heresy does the blind man accuse the hare-lipped girl of spreading?
9. What is special about the inscription on the back of Sahak's slave medallion?
10. What about Barabbas amazes Sahak?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the themes of monotheism (the worship of one God) and polytheism (the worship of multiple gods) affect the characters in the novel? What implications does the introduction of monotheism have for the Romans? What implications would the introduction of polytheism have for the Jews and Christians? Why might Barabbas have chosen to search for faith in both theologies?
Essay Topic 2
How does the discussion of the Jewish Messiah at the fat woman's house affect Barabbas and the way he lives his life? How does Jesus differ from the Messiah that Barabbas and the others are expecting? How does their preconceived notions of a Messiah affect their ability to believe that Jesus is the Son of God?
Essay Topic 3
What might be Barabbas's motivation for returning to the band of thieves? Compare and contrast the roles Barabbas plays within the band of thieves both before and after Jesus' crucifixion. What events and experiences influenced any change he might have experienced and why?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)