|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Eliahu die?
2. Where is Barabbas sent after he is separated from Sahak?
3. What does the blind man find offensive about the hare-lipped girl?
4. Where do Barabbas and Sahak work after the spring plowing is complete?
5. What do the other slaves in the mill wear?
Short Essay Questions
1. What heresy does the blind man accuse the hare-lipped girl of spreading?
2. What is Barabbas' reaction to Sahak's crucifixion?
3. Describe Barabbas and Sahak's relationship above ground.
4. What does Barabbas do after burying the hare-lipped girl?
5. What about Barabbas amazes Sahak?
6. Describe the hare-lipped girl's burial.
7. Where might Barabbas might have been between the time that he left the thieves and when he was in the copper mines?
8. To what do the thieves attribute Barabbas's odd behavior?
9. Why does the true believer cast the first stone at the hare-lipped girl?
10. After his initial whipping, what does Barabbas do while Sahak prays?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Other than death, what purpose did crucifixion serve in the first century? How did it affect members of society? What effect did it have on the characters in the novel? What link might be evident among all the crucifixions reported in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
How does Sahak's attitude affect his character and other characters in the novel? What events and experiences appear to affect Sahak's attitude? What role does Sahak play in Barabbas's life and how does absence affect Barabbas's character?
Essay Topic 3
What reasons does the red-bearded man give for Jesus' crucifixion and why? What reasons does Barabbas give for Jesus' crucifixion and why? What events affect Barabbas's reasoning and why?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)