|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Barabbas meet the hare-lipped girl?
2. How old is Barabbas when he becomes a slave in a Roman governor's house?
3. Why does the overseer first whip Sahak?
4. When the band of thieves discover that Barabbas is missing, where do they search for him?
5. What does the overseer do when he sees Sahak and Barabbas kneeling in prayer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Barabbas and Sahak's relationship above ground.
2. Why does Sahak refuse to the leave the mines without Barabbas?
3. What is special about the inscription on the back of Sahak's slave medallion?
4. What does Barabbas do with the hare-lipped girl's body?
5. Describe the hare-lipped girl's burial.
6. Where might Barabbas might have been between the time that he left the thieves and when he was in the copper mines?
7. What explanation does Sahak give the governor for the inscription on the back of his medallion?
8. What does Barabbas think about as he carries the hare-lipped girl's body?
9. Describe the one-eyed man.
10. What about Barabbas amazes Sahak?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationship between Barabbas and the fat woman. Compare and contrast their relationship with Barabbas' relationship with the hare-lipped girl. What events and elements affect each relationship? How do the two woman affect Barabbas' character development?
Essay Topic 2
What role does revenge play in the novel? Which characters are most affected by revenge and why? Compare and contrast the concept of revenge with the concept of "love one another" as seen by the characters in the novel. How does this conflict affect Barabbas' character and why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the symbolism behind the slave medallion and the inscriptions found on both sides of Sahak's and Barabbas's medallions. Compare and contrast how the inscription on the back of each man's medallion affected his character. What did the medallion symbolize for Barabbas after Sahak's death?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)