|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Barabbas act towards his former friends after he buries the hare-lipped girl?
2. What does Barabbas think about as he carries the hare-lipped girl's body?
3. Where do Barabbas and Sahak sleep at night?
4. What does the blind man find offensive about the hare-lipped girl?
5. Where does Barabbas carry the hare-lipped girl's body?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sahak refuse to the leave the mines without Barabbas?
2. After his initial whipping, what does Barabbas do while Sahak prays?
3. What heresy does the blind man accuse the hare-lipped girl of spreading?
4. How does the governor view Barabbas?
5. What is Eliahu's relationship to Barabbas?
6. How does Barabbas suffer for the man who died in his place?
7. To what do the thieves attribute Barabbas's odd behavior?
8. What does Barabbas do after burying the hare-lipped girl?
9. What explanation does Barabbas give the governor for the inscription on the back of his medallion?
10. What miracle did Sahak claim to have received from God?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Barabbas's reaction to the physical appearance of the resurrected man and what conclusion does he come to about the value of the resurrection? How does Barabbas surprise the resurrected man and what does this indicate about Barabbas' character? How does Barabbas's visit with the resurrected man affect his character?
Essay Topic 2
What might be Barabbas's motivation for returning to the band of thieves? Compare and contrast the roles Barabbas plays within the band of thieves both before and after Jesus' crucifixion. What events and experiences influenced any change he might have experienced and why?
Essay Topic 3
What role does betrayal play in the novel? Which characters betray others and why? Which characters are betrayed and why? What role does guilt play in relationship to betrayal in the novel. How do the themes of betrayal and guilt affect Barabbas' character?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)