|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Barabbas do the night after the stoning?
2. What type of work do Barabbas and Sahak perform above ground?
3. How does Sahak die?
4. Where does the blind man sleep?
5. How does Eliahu die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What explanation does Sahak give the governor for the inscription on the back of his medallion?
2. Why does the true believer cast the first stone at the hare-lipped girl?
3. Describe the hare-lipped girl's burial.
4. What does Barabbas do with the hare-lipped girl's body?
5. Describe the one-eyed man.
6. What happens to Sahak after he speaks to the governor?
7. What is Eliahu's relationship to Barabbas?
8. What does Barabbas do after burying the hare-lipped girl?
9. Describe Barabbas and Sahak's relationship above ground.
10. What is Barabbas' reaction to Sahak's crucifixion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does revenge play in the novel? Which characters are most affected by revenge and why? Compare and contrast the concept of revenge with the concept of "love one another" as seen by the characters in the novel. How does this conflict affect Barabbas' character and why?
Essay Topic 2
How does the discussion of the Jewish Messiah at the fat woman's house affect Barabbas and the way he lives his life? How does Jesus differ from the Messiah that Barabbas and the others are expecting? How does their preconceived notions of a Messiah affect their ability to believe that Jesus is the Son of God?
Essay Topic 3
What role does betrayal play in the novel? Which characters betray others and why? Which characters are betrayed and why? What role does guilt play in relationship to betrayal in the novel. How do the themes of betrayal and guilt affect Barabbas' character?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)