|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What information does Sahak reveal to the one-eyed slave?
2. Whom does Barabbas credit for their release?
3. What happens to Sahak when he refuses to renounce his faith before the governor?
4. What happens to Barabbas and Sahak after they are released from the mines?
5. Where has Barabbas been before he becomes a slave in a Roman governor's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Eliahu's relationship to Barabbas?
2. Describe the one-eyed man.
3. Describe the hare-lipped girl's burial.
4. What is Barabbas reaction to the true believer's action during the stoning?
5. What about Barabbas amazes Sahak?
6. What heresy does the blind man accuse the hare-lipped girl of spreading?
7. Where might Barabbas might have been between the time that he left the thieves and when he was in the copper mines?
8. To what do the thieves attribute Barabbas's odd behavior?
9. What is Barabbas' reaction to Sahak's crucifixion?
10. How does Barabbas suffer for the man who died in his place?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does revenge play in the novel? Which characters are most affected by revenge and why? Compare and contrast the concept of revenge with the concept of "love one another" as seen by the characters in the novel. How does this conflict affect Barabbas' character and why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the symbolism behind the slave medallion and the inscriptions found on both sides of Sahak's and Barabbas's medallions. Compare and contrast how the inscription on the back of each man's medallion affected his character. What did the medallion symbolize for Barabbas after Sahak's death?
Essay Topic 3
How does Sahak's attitude affect his character and other characters in the novel? What events and experiences appear to affect Sahak's attitude? What role does Sahak play in Barabbas's life and how does absence affect Barabbas's character?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)