|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Sahak believe he had been the recipient of a miracle?
2. When is the body of the murder victim discovered?
3. Whom does Barabbas kill at the stoning pit?
4. Why does the one-eyed slave only have one eye?
5. How does Sahak die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Barabbas' reaction to Sahak's crucifixion?
2. What explanation does Barabbas give the governor for the inscription on the back of his medallion?
3. To what do the thieves attribute Barabbas's odd behavior?
4. What does Barabbas do with the hare-lipped girl's body?
5. After his initial whipping, what does Barabbas do while Sahak prays?
6. What happens to Sahak after he speaks to the governor?
7. How do Sahak and Barabbas end up standing trial in front of the governor?
8. How does Barabbas suffer for the man who died in his place?
9. What is special about the inscription on the back of Sahak's slave medallion?
10. How does the governor view Barabbas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the characters at the fat woman's house rationalize the miracles Barabbas saw on Golgotha? How does their rationalization affect his character? What other miracles does Barabbas rationalize and what effect did his rationalization have on his character development?
Essay Topic 2
Barabbas last words, "to thee I deliver up my soul," are not explained by the author. What might be the implications of these words?
1. Who might Barabbas be speaking to and why?
2. What might these words foreshadow for Barabbas's eternal future and why?
3. Why might Barabbas have spoken this particular phrase and how does it relate to his life story as told in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the concept of ritual "uncleanliness." How does ritual uncleanliness differ from simply being dirty and needing a bath? What does the fear of ritual uncleanliness indicate about Barabbas's character? What irony is evident in this?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)