|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sahak show the one-eyed slave?
2. What was inscribed on the front of Sahak's slave medallion?
3. What does Barabbas do the night after the stoning?
4. What do Barabbas and Sahak speak of for the first few days above ground?
5. What does the band of thieves do when they realize that Barabbas is nowhere to be found?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Eliahu's relationship to Barabbas?
2. What happens to Sahak after he speaks to the governor?
3. What is Barabbas reaction to the true believer's action during the stoning?
4. What does Barabbas do with the hare-lipped girl's body?
5. What about Barabbas amazes Sahak?
6. What explanation does Barabbas give the governor for the inscription on the back of his medallion?
7. Why does the true believer cast the first stone at the hare-lipped girl?
8. What explanation does Sahak give the governor for the inscription on the back of his medallion?
9. How does Barabbas suffer for the man who died in his place?
10. How do Sahak and Barabbas end up standing trial in front of the governor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the discussion of the Jewish Messiah at the fat woman's house affect Barabbas and the way he lives his life? How does Jesus differ from the Messiah that Barabbas and the others are expecting? How does their preconceived notions of a Messiah affect their ability to believe that Jesus is the Son of God?
Essay Topic 2
How do the themes of monotheism (the worship of one God) and polytheism (the worship of multiple gods) affect the characters in the novel? What implications does the introduction of monotheism have for the Romans? What implications would the introduction of polytheism have for the Jews and Christians? Why might Barabbas have chosen to search for faith in both theologies?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the symbolism behind the slave medallion and the inscriptions found on both sides of Sahak's and Barabbas's medallions. Compare and contrast how the inscription on the back of each man's medallion affected his character. What did the medallion symbolize for Barabbas after Sahak's death?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)