|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does being above ground affect Barabbas and Sahak's relationship?
2. Who might Barabbas have joined that hated the Jerusalem temple, priests and scribes?
3. Who is ordered to throw the first stone during the hare-lipped girl's execution?
4. What does Barabbas mention to Sahak that sparks a conversation?
5. Where does the blind man sleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Sahak and Barabbas end up standing trial in front of the governor?
2. Why does Sahak refuse to the leave the mines without Barabbas?
3. Describe the hare-lipped girl's burial.
4. Why does the true believer cast the first stone at the hare-lipped girl?
5. What explanation does Barabbas give the governor for the inscription on the back of his medallion?
6. What is special about the inscription on the back of Sahak's slave medallion?
7. What miracle did Sahak claim to have received from God?
8. What happens to Sahak after he speaks to the governor?
9. What does Barabbas think about as he carries the hare-lipped girl's body?
10. What does Barabbas do with the hare-lipped girl's body?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the purpose of the Dung Gate area? Describe the society of people who live near the Dung Gate. What expectations do these people have for their lives? How does Jesus and the Christian philosophy affect the lives of this particular group of people?
Essay Topic 2
Barabbas last words, "to thee I deliver up my soul," are not explained by the author. What might be the implications of these words?
1. Who might Barabbas be speaking to and why?
2. What might these words foreshadow for Barabbas's eternal future and why?
3. Why might Barabbas have spoken this particular phrase and how does it relate to his life story as told in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the relationship between Barabbas and the fat woman. Compare and contrast their relationship with Barabbas' relationship with the hare-lipped girl. What events and elements affect each relationship? How do the two woman affect Barabbas' character development?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)