|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What comment does the fat woman make that offends the girl Barabbas meets in Jerusalem?
2. Why doesn't Barabbas believe Jesus is the Son of God?
3. As Barabbas walks around town the day after the crucifixion, what does he notice?
4. What does Barabbas do before everyone leaves the low-vaulted room?
5. What does Barabbas pretend to want?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the fat woman react to Barabbas staying in Jerusalem?
2. What does Barabbas notice about the people in Jerusalem the day after the crucifixion?
3. Describe the hare-lipped girl.
4. Describe the man that Barabbas meets who was resurrected from the dead.
5. What statement does the fat woman make that offends the hare-lipped girl?
6. To what do the characters at the fat woman's house attribute the halo Barabbas describes seeing?
7. Describe the residents who live near the Dung Gate.
8. Describe Jesus as Barabbas sees him.
9. Describe the hare-lipped girl's meeting with Jesus.
10. Describe Barabbas' actions and thoughts on the resurrection morning.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the news of the impending persecution of the Christians affect the characters in the low-vaulted room? Describe the forms of persecution the Christians in the novel face. How do they react to their persecutions? What effect do their persecutions and reactions have on Barabbas?
Essay Topic 2
How do the themes of monotheism (the worship of one God) and polytheism (the worship of multiple gods) affect the characters in the novel? What implications does the introduction of monotheism have for the Romans? What implications would the introduction of polytheism have for the Jews and Christians? Why might Barabbas have chosen to search for faith in both theologies?
Essay Topic 3
What forgiveness is the red-bearded man seeking? Is Barabbas seeking any form of forgiveness? If so, from what and why? Discuss how each man's experiences with Jesus and religious groups has affected his view of forgiveness.
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)