|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Barabbas note about the thief who was executed next to the man on the cross?
2. What does the red-bearded man do when he discovers that Barabbas has been eavesdropping?
3. Why were the Jewish people given the opportunity to pardon one prisoner's death sentence?
4. Why does Barabbas feel he has a stronger bond with Jesus than the Christians?
5. What answer does Barabbas receive about Christian doctrine?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the old man tell the Christians in the prison to leave Barabbas alone?
2. What happens to Sahak after he speaks to the governor?
3. Why does Barabbas set fire to the house?
4. What might Barabbas's lonely last few days symbolize?
5. What miracle did Sahak claim to have received from God?
6. How do the characters react when the hill goes dark?
7. Describe Jesus as Barabbas sees him.
8. After his initial whipping, what does Barabbas do while Sahak prays?
9. Why does Sahak refuse to the leave the mines without Barabbas?
10. What does Barabbas spend most of his time doing in Jerusalem after the resurrection morning?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the characters at the fat woman's house rationalize the miracles Barabbas saw on Golgotha? How does their rationalization affect his character? What other miracles does Barabbas rationalize and what effect did his rationalization have on his character development?
Essay Topic 2
How does the discussion of the Jewish Messiah at the fat woman's house affect Barabbas and the way he lives his life? How does Jesus differ from the Messiah that Barabbas and the others are expecting? How does their preconceived notions of a Messiah affect their ability to believe that Jesus is the Son of God?
Essay Topic 3
How does Sahak's attitude affect his character and other characters in the novel? What events and experiences appear to affect Sahak's attitude? What role does Sahak play in Barabbas's life and how does absence affect Barabbas's character?
This section contains 1,525 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)