|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which follower of Jesus is Barabbas invited to meet?
2. Whom does the red-bearded man and his group believe that the crucified man is?
3. What does Barabbas notice about the tomb when the sun rises?
4. How does the believer describe the "realm of the dead"?
5. What did Barabbas find in the low-vaulted room?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Barabbas leave the red-beaded man?
2. What statement does the fat woman make that offends the hare-lipped girl?
3. What does Barabbas notice about the people in Jerusalem the day after the crucifixion?
4. What do Barabbas and the characters at the fat woman's house discuss?
5. What does the red-bearded man confess to Barabbas?
6. What happens during the Christians' meeting in the low-vaulted room?
7. Describe the hare-lipped girl's meeting with Jesus.
8. How do the characters react when the hill goes dark?
9. Describe Jesus as Barabbas sees him.
10. What does Barabbas spend most of his time doing in Jerusalem after the resurrection morning?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the Christian philosophy that the hare-lipped girl describes to Barabbas? How does that philosophy affect her life and the lives of the other Christians? How does it affect Barabbas's life? How does the behavior of the Christians in Jerusalem affect Barabbas's view of their philosophy?
Essay Topic 2
How do the themes of monotheism (the worship of one God) and polytheism (the worship of multiple gods) affect the characters in the novel? What implications does the introduction of monotheism have for the Romans? What implications would the introduction of polytheism have for the Jews and Christians? Why might Barabbas have chosen to search for faith in both theologies?
Essay Topic 3
How does Sahak's attitude affect his character and other characters in the novel? What events and experiences appear to affect Sahak's attitude? What role does Sahak play in Barabbas's life and how does absence affect Barabbas's character?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)