|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Barabbas feel that he cannot be forgiven for his sins?
2. What does Barabbas notice about the tomb when the sun rises?
3. After Barabbas returns to the believers after his visit to the village on the mountain, what does he tell the believers?
4. How does Barabbas react to the physical appearance of the believer he meets in the village on the mountain?
5. What explanation did the red-bearded man give for Barabbas's interest in the crucified man?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Barabbas feel he has a stronger bond with Jesus than the Christians?
2. To what do the characters at the fat woman's house attribute the halo Barabbas describes seeing?
3. Why does Barabbas leave the red-beaded man?
4. What heresy does the blind man accuse the hare-lipped girl of spreading?
5. After his initial whipping, what does Barabbas do while Sahak prays?
6. What does Barabbas tell the Christian when questioned about his visit to the resurrected man?
7. What explanation does Sahak give the governor for the inscription on the back of his medallion?
8. Describe the man that Barabbas meets who was resurrected from the dead.
9. Describe the residents who live near the Dung Gate.
10. What does the red-bearded man claim is the point of the crucifixion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the symbolism behind the slave medallion and the inscriptions found on both sides of Sahak's and Barabbas's medallions. Compare and contrast how the inscription on the back of each man's medallion affected his character. What did the medallion symbolize for Barabbas after Sahak's death?
Essay Topic 2
What forgiveness is the red-bearded man seeking? Is Barabbas seeking any form of forgiveness? If so, from what and why? Discuss how each man's experiences with Jesus and religious groups has affected his view of forgiveness.
Essay Topic 3
How does the promise of the resurrection affect the characters in the story? Compare and contrast Barabbas's and the hare-lipped girl's expectations and experiences surrounding Jesus' resurrection. How might their faith have affected their experiences?
This section contains 1,630 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)