|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Barabbas notice about the man carrying the cross as the man prepares to go up the hill?
2. What does the believer that Barabbas meets in the village on the mountain tell him?
3. Barabbas overhears two men talking the day after the crucifixion; What does Barabbas think they are talking about?
4. What did Barabbas find in the low-vaulted room?
5. What do the men do after returning from their brief excursions?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Barabbas and the characters at the fat woman's house discuss?
2. Describe the man that Barabbas meets who was resurrected from the dead.
3. Why does Barabbas feel he has a stronger bond with Jesus than the Christians?
4. How do the characters react when the hill goes dark?
5. Why is Barabbas pleased that he did not see the resurrection?
6. Describe Barabbas' appearance.
7. What does the red-bearded man claim is the point of the crucifixion?
8. What does Barabbas think about as he lies awake next to the fat woman on his first night of freedom?
9. What does the red-bearded man attribute to Barabbas's sudden interest in Jesus?
10. What does Barabbas tell the Christian when questioned about his visit to the resurrected man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Other than death, what purpose did crucifixion serve in the first century? How did it affect members of society? What effect did it have on the characters in the novel? What link might be evident among all the crucifixions reported in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
What role does betrayal play in the novel? Which characters betray others and why? Which characters are betrayed and why? What role does guilt play in relationship to betrayal in the novel. How do the themes of betrayal and guilt affect Barabbas' character?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the symbolism behind the slave medallion and the inscriptions found on both sides of Sahak's and Barabbas's medallions. Compare and contrast how the inscription on the back of each man's medallion affected his character. What did the medallion symbolize for Barabbas after Sahak's death?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)