|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the hare-lipped girl see at the tomb?
2. What did Jesus tell the hare-lipped girl she would do?
3. What does the red-bearded man do when he discovers that Barabbas has been eavesdropping?
4. What business keeps Barabbas in Jerusalem?
5. What does the woman at the Fat Woman's house say about the man on the cross?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the residents who live near the Dung Gate.
2. How does the fat woman react to Barabbas staying in Jerusalem?
3. To what does the fat woman attribute Barabbas's odd behavior?
4. Describe Jesus as Barabbas sees him.
5. Describe what the characters do at the fat woman's house.
6. What does Barabbas give the hare-lipped girl at the fat woman's house?
7. What does Barabbas notice about the people in Jerusalem the day after the crucifixion?
8. What statement does the fat woman make that offends the hare-lipped girl?
9. How do the characters react when the hill goes dark?
10. Why is Barabbas pleased that he did not see the resurrection?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What type of reception does Barabbas receive from the Christians in Jerusalem? What is the reason for that reception? Why might Barabbas continue to seek out the Christians? What is the result of his persistence?
Essay Topic 2
How do the themes of monotheism (the worship of one God) and polytheism (the worship of multiple gods) affect the characters in the novel? What implications does the introduction of monotheism have for the Romans? What implications would the introduction of polytheism have for the Jews and Christians? Why might Barabbas have chosen to search for faith in both theologies?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the symbolism behind the slave medallion and the inscriptions found on both sides of Sahak's and Barabbas's medallions. Compare and contrast how the inscription on the back of each man's medallion affected his character. What did the medallion symbolize for Barabbas after Sahak's death?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)