|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event does Barabbas accuse the red-bearded man of falsifying?
2. What does Barabbas pretend to want?
3. What does Barabbas do before everyone leaves the low-vaulted room?
4. What business keeps Barabbas in Jerusalem?
5. What does Barabbas notice about the tomb when the sun rises?
Short Essay Questions
1. What miracle did Sahak claim to have received from God?
2. What explanation does Sahak give the governor for the inscription on the back of his medallion?
3. Describe the man that Barabbas meets who was resurrected from the dead.
4. How does the fat woman react to Barabbas staying in Jerusalem?
5. Describe Barabbas' appearance.
6. Describe the hare-lipped girl.
7. To what do the characters at the fat woman's house attribute the halo Barabbas describes seeing?
8. Describe the residents who live near the Dung Gate.
9. Which "lord" does Barabbas end up serving and why?
10. What does the red-bearded man claim is the point of the crucifixion?
Essay Topic 1
Other than death, what purpose did crucifixion serve in the first century? How did it affect members of society? What effect did it have on the characters in the novel? What link might be evident among all the crucifixions reported in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
How does the promise of the resurrection affect the characters in the story? Compare and contrast Barabbas's and the hare-lipped girl's expectations and experiences surrounding Jesus' resurrection. How might their faith have affected their experiences?
Essay Topic 3
What type of reception does Barabbas receive from the Christians in Jerusalem? What is the reason for that reception? Why might Barabbas continue to seek out the Christians? What is the result of his persistence?
This section contains 1,502 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)