|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does the red-bearded man and his group believe that the crucified man is?
2. Why does Barabbas feel he has a stronger bond with Jesus than the Christians?
3. Why would Barabbas normally avoid Golgotha?
4. What opinion does Barabbas give the red-bearded man about his feeling of guilt?
5. How do the Christians react to Barabbas' presence?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the man that Barabbas meets who was resurrected from the dead.
2. What does Barabbas notice about the people in Jerusalem the day after the crucifixion?
3. What does Barabbas give the hare-lipped girl at the fat woman's house?
4. What does the red-bearded man confess to Barabbas?
5. Describe what the characters do at the fat woman's house.
6. To what does the fat woman attribute Barabbas's odd behavior?
7. Describe the hare-lipped girl.
8. What happens during the Christians' meeting in the low-vaulted room?
9. Describe the residents who live near the Dung Gate.
10. Why doesn't Barabbas believe that Jesus could be the Son of God?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Sahak's attitude affect his character and other characters in the novel? What events and experiences appear to affect Sahak's attitude? What role does Sahak play in Barabbas's life and how does absence affect Barabbas's character?
Essay Topic 2
What is the purpose of the Dung Gate area? Describe the society of people who live near the Dung Gate. What expectations do these people have for their lives? How does Jesus and the Christian philosophy affect the lives of this particular group of people?
Essay Topic 3
How do the themes of monotheism (the worship of one God) and polytheism (the worship of multiple gods) affect the characters in the novel? What implications does the introduction of monotheism have for the Romans? What implications would the introduction of polytheism have for the Jews and Christians? Why might Barabbas have chosen to search for faith in both theologies?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)