|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long would Rudi give himself to go up?
2. Why did Rudi believe that Winter would make it?
3. Why are Saxo and Winter headed back to Broli?
4. Why did Frau Matt consider herself in the wrong?
5. Why hadn't Rudi turned around when he knew he needed to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kinds of things had changed since Rudi had nodded off?
2. What was the reason that Rudi couldn't come with Saxo and Winter to Broli?
3. How did Saxo treat pursuit of the summit originally? How did this change following his injury?
4. Why doesn't Saxo want to climb with Franz?
5. Why was Frau Matt not upset with Paul Tauglich?
6. How did the stillness affect Rudi?
7. What is the difference between the two guides as illustrated in this chapter?
8. What is Rudi's second major contribution to this hike, and how was it different from his attempted contribution before?
9. In what ways did the Englishman not look so good?
10. Why didn't Rudi turn around when he knew he had to go back or be caught in darkness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Saxo's behavior and maturity throughout the novel. What kind of character is Saxo, and what role does he play in the story? Speculate on his accident and the author's purpose for him getting in an accident.
Essay Topic 2
Create a personality profile for Teo. Why do you think he was always helping Rudi? What kind of person was he and what kind of influence does he have on both the town and Rudi's family?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of Winter's injury as it develops in the novel. What kind of effect does this have on the plot line? What would have been different had Winter not have gotten sick?
This section contains 1,200 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)