|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Franz blame for Rudi's disappearance?
2. Why are Saxo and Winter headed back to Broli?
3. Why does Rudi think he can make it through the eye of the needle?
4. What had unnerved Rudi?
5. Who convinces Franz to climb the Citadel?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Rudi motivate himself when he thought he couldn't manage it?
2. In what ways did the Englishman not look so good?
3. Why was Frau Matt not upset with Paul Tauglich?
4. What can the chapter title refer to if it is used as a metaphor?
5. How did the stillness affect Rudi?
6. What happened, and how did it strand Rudi?
7. In which way did Rudi earn his uncle's admiration?
8. Why didn't Rudi turn around when he knew he had to go back or be caught in darkness?
9. How does Captain Winter shame the two guides into working together?
10. How did Winter keep peace between the two rival guides?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the tactical diplomacy of Winter involving Franz and Saxo. In which ways did he accomplish their working together. How did he get them to see eye-to-eye? Was this an effective tactic? Why or why not? What might have been a better way?
Essay Topic 2
How does the accident on the Wunderhorn change Rudi? Is this change for the positive or negative? Justify your answer. In what ways did this change Rudi's approach to climbing?
Essay Topic 3
How did Rudi's father's death provide Rudi with the courage to surmount the Citadel? In how many ways did his father's death affect him? From which times did he draw strength? Which times was fear invoked and for what reason? Explain the answer and justify it using quotes from the book.
This section contains 1,104 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)