|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why didn't Rudi cry out?
2. Where did Rudi realize he was?
3. Why does Saxo think that so many people have come to the hut?
4. Why did Frau Matt consider herself in the wrong?
5. What was the main reason that Saxo gave that he wouldn't climb with Franz?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the reason that Rudi couldn't come with Saxo and Winter to Broli?
2. How does Captain Winter shame the two guides into working together?
3. What is Rudi's second major contribution to this hike, and how was it different from his attempted contribution before?
4. What made Rudi's actions regarding Saxo's rescue all the more selfless?
5. Why didn't Rudi turn around when he knew he had to go back or be caught in darkness?
6. How did Winter's rationalization make sense to Franz?
7. How did Rudi motivate himself when he thought he couldn't manage it?
8. How did the stillness affect Rudi?
9. Why doesn't Saxo want to climb with Franz?
10. How did Winter keep peace between the two rival guides?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Despite failing on the Wunderhorn, Winter still keeps insisting that Rudi be tried again and have a chance to go with them. When Rudi finally gets this chance he makes sure not to let them down. Explain why this is the case. Why does Winter invest so deeply in the boy?
Essay Topic 2
Explain how intolerance is outlined and used as a catalyst throughout this novel. How is it a motivation for some characters? Explain how this is also used as a method for contrast. Explain your answer, and justify it using quotes from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Franz would not consent to going up the Citadel despite the large amount of money that he was offered. Discuss what this says about Franz's logic. What about his morality? Take a side on whether or not this was a logical decision, or one based entirely on emotion. Explain.
This section contains 1,277 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)