|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What made Rudi not want to go back to Kurtal?
2. Who convinces Franz to climb the Citadel?
3. Where had Winter been hurt?
4. Under how many feet of snow was Winter buried?
5. About how many feet were above Rudi?
Short Essay Questions
1. How would the group had been defeated if not for Rudi?
2. Why was Rudi so tired?
3. What is the difference between the two guides as illustrated in this chapter?
4. How did Rudi motivate himself when he thought he couldn't manage it?
5. Why didn't Rudi turn around when he knew he had to go back or be caught in darkness?
6. In which way did Rudi earn his uncle's admiration?
7. What was the reason that Rudi couldn't come with Saxo and Winter to Broli?
8. In what ways did Rudi's vanquishing of fear change his perspective?
9. What happened, and how did it strand Rudi?
10. Why doesn't Saxo want to climb with Franz?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Speculate on the purpose of Klaus' role in the story. Explain the feelings associated with this character from the perspective of the reader. Does this character play a significant role in the development of the story? Why or why not? Try and consider the author's reasoning for the incorporation of such a character.
Essay Topic 2
How did Rudi's father's death provide Rudi with the courage to surmount the Citadel? In how many ways did his father's death affect him? From which times did he draw strength? Which times was fear invoked and for what reason? Explain the answer and justify it using quotes from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Frau Matt and Franz Lerner's control methods regarding Rudi. Speculate on the reasons they had failed. In which ways might they have succeeded, if they would have considered another method? Explain how their behavior could have encouraged Rudi even more.
This section contains 1,100 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)