|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Rudi see on the cliff above?
2. What made Rudi not want to go back to Kurtal?
3. Who was it that brought Rudi's belongings further?
4. What had changed about the night?
5. What part of Rudi's body got stuck?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways did Rudi's vanquishing of fear change his perspective?
2. How does Captain Winter shame the two guides into working together?
3. In which way did Rudi earn his uncle's admiration?
4. What happened, and how did it strand Rudi?
5. Why was Rudi so tired?
6. What was the reason that Rudi couldn't come with Saxo and Winter to Broli?
7. How did Winter keep peace between the two rival guides?
8. In what ways did the Englishman not look so good?
9. How did Rudi motivate himself when he thought he couldn't manage it?
10. Before Franz hears from Winter in regards to Rudi's climbing ability, how does he feel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Franz would not consent to going up the Citadel despite the large amount of money that he was offered. Discuss what this says about Franz's logic. What about his morality? Take a side on whether or not this was a logical decision, or one based entirely on emotion. Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Speculate on the purpose of Klaus' role in the story. Explain the feelings associated with this character from the perspective of the reader. Does this character play a significant role in the development of the story? Why or why not? Try and consider the author's reasoning for the incorporation of such a character.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how intolerance is outlined and used as a catalyst throughout this novel. How is it a motivation for some characters? Explain how this is also used as a method for contrast. Explain your answer, and justify it using quotes from the book.
This section contains 1,068 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)