|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Rudi keep near when he had approached the area in which the avalanche had occurred the day before?
2. Why does Saxo think that so many people have come to the hut?
3. Why hadn't Rudi turned around when he knew he needed to?
4. What did Rudi compare Saxo to in his injury?
5. How many times did Rudi turn and look back?
Essay Topic 1
Explain how intolerance is outlined and used as a catalyst throughout this novel. How is it a motivation for some characters? Explain how this is also used as a method for contrast. Explain your answer, and justify it using quotes from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Despite failing on the Wunderhorn, Winter still keeps insisting that Rudi be tried again and have a chance to go with them. When Rudi finally gets this chance he makes sure not to let them down. Explain why this is the case. Why does Winter invest so deeply in the boy?
Essay Topic 3
Speculate on why Winter gave the glory of climbing the mountain to Rudi. What might have been different if he had told the townspeople the truth? What would have happened? What might have possessed Winter to give up the Citadel so easily?
This section contains 1,108 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)