|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What resolve deepened in Rudi?
2. Why was Rudi frustrated and shamed when he came to the crack?
3. What did Franz see that caused him to pause?
4. Who stands up for Rudi and prevents Franz from taking him down the mountain?
5. What honor was bestowed upon Rudi?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Rudi's second major contribution to this hike, and how was it different from his attempted contribution before?
2. Why was Frau Matt not upset with Paul Tauglich?
3. How did Saxo treat pursuit of the summit originally? How did this change following his injury?
4. Before Franz hears from Winter in regards to Rudi's climbing ability, how does he feel?
5. How did Winter keep peace between the two rival guides?
6. What happened, and how did it strand Rudi?
7. How did Winter's rationalization make sense to Franz?
8. What can the chapter title refer to if it is used as a metaphor?
9. What made Rudi's actions regarding Saxo's rescue all the more selfless?
10. In which way did Rudi earn his uncle's admiration?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of Winter's injury as it develops in the novel. What kind of effect does this have on the plot line? What would have been different had Winter not have gotten sick?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the statement Teo makes, "You cannot bottle the wind." To what is he referring? What literary device is this? What does Teo do in this chapter, and how is it beneficial to Rudi?
Essay Topic 3
Rudi is devastated by his actions on the Wunderhorn. Discuss at least three different ways the boy could have chosen to handle the consequence of his action. How would each change him? How would those different decisions effect the outcome of the story? Explain.
This section contains 1,191 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)