|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of Rudi's body got stuck?
2. How many men were to remain behind?
3. What was the first "key" to the mountain?
4. Why did Saxo become sullen?
5. What wasn't on the menu of the climbers?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Winter's rationalization make sense to Franz?
2. What kinds of things had changed since Rudi had nodded off?
3. How did Winter keep peace between the two rival guides?
4. Why didn't Rudi turn around when he knew he had to go back or be caught in darkness?
5. What made Rudi's actions regarding Saxo's rescue all the more selfless?
6. In what ways did Rudi's vanquishing of fear change his perspective?
7. Why was Frau Matt not upset with Paul Tauglich?
8. Before Franz hears from Winter in regards to Rudi's climbing ability, how does he feel?
9. How does Captain Winter shame the two guides into working together?
10. Why was Rudi so tired?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Saxo's behavior and maturity throughout the novel. What kind of character is Saxo, and what role does he play in the story? Speculate on his accident and the author's purpose for him getting in an accident.
Essay Topic 2
Create a personality profile for Teo. Why do you think he was always helping Rudi? What kind of person was he and what kind of influence does he have on both the town and Rudi's family?
Essay Topic 3
Take a closer look at Rudi's character. How does he mature throughout the course of the story, and what events hasten this maturity? In what ways was it necessary for Rudi to mature before he climbed the Citadel, and why? Use quotes from the story to lend credibility to your answer.
This section contains 1,156 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)