|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where had Winter been hurt?
2. Why did Saxo say he was climbing the Citadel?
3. Who stands up for Rudi and prevents Franz from taking him down the mountain?
4. What had disappeared with Rudi's fear?
5. Where did the guides think that Rudi was?
Short Essay Questions
1. How would the group had been defeated if not for Rudi?
2. How did the stillness affect Rudi?
3. In which way did Rudi earn his uncle's admiration?
4. Why was Frau Matt not upset with Paul Tauglich?
5. What can the chapter title refer to if it is used as a metaphor?
6. Why doesn't Saxo want to climb with Franz?
7. What is the difference between the two guides as illustrated in this chapter?
8. Before Franz hears from Winter in regards to Rudi's climbing ability, how does he feel?
9. Why didn't Rudi turn around when he knew he had to go back or be caught in darkness?
10. What kinds of things had changed since Rudi had nodded off?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Franz would not consent to going up the Citadel despite the large amount of money that he was offered. Discuss what this says about Franz's logic. What about his morality? Take a side on whether or not this was a logical decision, or one based entirely on emotion. Explain.
Essay Topic 2
How did Rudi's father's death provide Rudi with the courage to surmount the Citadel? In how many ways did his father's death affect him? From which times did he draw strength? Which times was fear invoked and for what reason? Explain the answer and justify it using quotes from the book.
Essay Topic 3
How does the accident on the Wunderhorn change Rudi? Is this change for the positive or negative? Justify your answer. In what ways did this change Rudi's approach to climbing?
This section contains 1,120 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)