|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had disappeared with Rudi's fear?
2. Why are Saxo and Winter headed back to Broli?
3. What part of Rudi's body got stuck?
4. Why hadn't Rudi turned around when he knew he needed to?
5. What must always come first in any situation?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways did the Englishman not look so good?
2. Why doesn't Saxo want to climb with Franz?
3. In which way did Rudi earn his uncle's admiration?
4. How did Winter's rationalization make sense to Franz?
5. How does Captain Winter shame the two guides into working together?
6. What kinds of things had changed since Rudi had nodded off?
7. What is the difference between the two guides as illustrated in this chapter?
8. What made Rudi's actions regarding Saxo's rescue all the more selfless?
9. How did Rudi motivate himself when he thought he couldn't manage it?
10. What happened, and how did it strand Rudi?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of Winter's injury as it develops in the novel. What kind of effect does this have on the plot line? What would have been different had Winter not have gotten sick?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the tactical diplomacy of Winter involving Franz and Saxo. In which ways did he accomplish their working together. How did he get them to see eye-to-eye? Was this an effective tactic? Why or why not? What might have been a better way?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Frau Matt and Franz Lerner's control methods regarding Rudi. Speculate on the reasons they had failed. In which ways might they have succeeded, if they would have considered another method? Explain how their behavior could have encouraged Rudi even more.
This section contains 1,138 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)