|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Rudi finally allow himself to collapse?
2. Why does Saxo think that so many people have come to the hut?
3. Who does Franz blame for Rudi's disappearance?
4. Why couldn't Winter continue up the mountain?
5. Why didn't Rudi cry out?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why didn't Rudi turn around when he knew he had to go back or be caught in darkness?
2. How did Rudi motivate himself when he thought he couldn't manage it?
3. How did Winter keep peace between the two rival guides?
4. What is the difference between the two guides as illustrated in this chapter?
5. What kinds of things had changed since Rudi had nodded off?
6. In which way did Rudi earn his uncle's admiration?
7. What can the chapter title refer to if it is used as a metaphor?
8. What made Rudi's actions regarding Saxo's rescue all the more selfless?
9. How did Winter's rationalization make sense to Franz?
10. Before Franz hears from Winter in regards to Rudi's climbing ability, how does he feel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Franz would not consent to going up the Citadel despite the large amount of money that he was offered. Discuss what this says about Franz's logic. What about his morality? Take a side on whether or not this was a logical decision, or one based entirely on emotion. Explain.
Essay Topic 2
How did Rudi's father's death provide Rudi with the courage to surmount the Citadel? In how many ways did his father's death affect him? From which times did he draw strength? Which times was fear invoked and for what reason? Explain the answer and justify it using quotes from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of Winter's injury as it develops in the novel. What kind of effect does this have on the plot line? What would have been different had Winter not have gotten sick?
This section contains 1,238 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)