|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What made Rudi not want to go back to Kurtal?
2. What does Winter tell Rudi to do that scares him?
3. What approximate time was it when the group had moved past the Needle?
4. How did Rudi's mountaineer instinct come into play?
5. Who was it that brought Rudi's belongings further?
Short Essay Questions
1. What made Rudi's actions regarding Saxo's rescue all the more selfless?
2. Why doesn't Saxo want to climb with Franz?
3. In which way did Rudi earn his uncle's admiration?
4. How did Saxo treat pursuit of the summit originally? How did this change following his injury?
5. How would the group had been defeated if not for Rudi?
6. What was the reason that Rudi couldn't come with Saxo and Winter to Broli?
7. How does Captain Winter shame the two guides into working together?
8. In what ways did Rudi's vanquishing of fear change his perspective?
9. What can the chapter title refer to if it is used as a metaphor?
10. Before Franz hears from Winter in regards to Rudi's climbing ability, how does he feel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In terms of storytelling, explain the difference between the Wunderhorn and the Citadel. In which ways are they two completely different mountains? In which ways are they similar? Explain your answer using quotes from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the differences in Franz's behavior in the beginning of the novel and towards the end. What or who was responsible for this change of opinion and how great was the change of opinion? What do you think would happen the next time Franz had a Herr? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Frau Matt and Franz Lerner's control methods regarding Rudi. Speculate on the reasons they had failed. In which ways might they have succeeded, if they would have considered another method? Explain how their behavior could have encouraged Rudi even more.
This section contains 1,210 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)