|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Rudi encouraged when he thought it was impossible to go any further?
2. Where had Winter been hurt?
3. Who convinces Franz to climb the Citadel?
4. What was the rumbling that Rudi heard?
5. What honor was bestowed upon Rudi?
Short Essay Questions
1. In which way did Rudi earn his uncle's admiration?
2. How did Winter's rationalization make sense to Franz?
3. In what ways did the Englishman not look so good?
4. What was the reason that Rudi couldn't come with Saxo and Winter to Broli?
5. What kinds of things had changed since Rudi had nodded off?
6. Why was Rudi so tired?
7. How did Saxo treat pursuit of the summit originally? How did this change following his injury?
8. What happened, and how did it strand Rudi?
9. What made Rudi's actions regarding Saxo's rescue all the more selfless?
10. In what ways did Rudi's vanquishing of fear change his perspective?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the statement Teo makes, "You cannot bottle the wind." To what is he referring? What literary device is this? What does Teo do in this chapter, and how is it beneficial to Rudi?
Essay Topic 2
Franz would not consent to going up the Citadel despite the large amount of money that he was offered. Discuss what this says about Franz's logic. What about his morality? Take a side on whether or not this was a logical decision, or one based entirely on emotion. Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of Winter's injury as it develops in the novel. What kind of effect does this have on the plot line? What would have been different had Winter not have gotten sick?
This section contains 1,120 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)