|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Rudi's mountaineer instinct come into play?
2. How long did it take Rudi to reach the top of the bergschrund?
3. What had changed in Winter's appearance?
4. What had unnerved Rudi?
5. When did Rudi finally allow himself to collapse?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kinds of things had changed since Rudi had nodded off?
2. Why didn't Rudi turn around when he knew he had to go back or be caught in darkness?
3. Before Franz hears from Winter in regards to Rudi's climbing ability, how does he feel?
4. In which way did Rudi earn his uncle's admiration?
5. How did Winter keep peace between the two rival guides?
6. How did the stillness affect Rudi?
7. What was the reason that Rudi couldn't come with Saxo and Winter to Broli?
8. Why was Rudi so tired?
9. What is the difference between the two guides as illustrated in this chapter?
10. How would the group had been defeated if not for Rudi?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the accident on the Wunderhorn change Rudi? Is this change for the positive or negative? Justify your answer. In what ways did this change Rudi's approach to climbing?
Essay Topic 2
Take a closer look at Rudi's character. How does he mature throughout the course of the story, and what events hasten this maturity? In what ways was it necessary for Rudi to mature before he climbed the Citadel, and why? Use quotes from the story to lend credibility to your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Frau Matt and Franz Lerner's control methods regarding Rudi. Speculate on the reasons they had failed. In which ways might they have succeeded, if they would have considered another method? Explain how their behavior could have encouraged Rudi even more.
This section contains 1,165 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)