|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What made Franz angry?
2. How many times did Rudi turn and look back?
3. Why did Saxo think that Josef and Stephenson couldn't find the way up the eastern face?
4. When did Rudi finally allow himself to collapse?
5. What honor was bestowed upon Rudi?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why didn't Rudi turn around when he knew he had to go back or be caught in darkness?
2. Why was Rudi so tired?
3. Before Franz hears from Winter in regards to Rudi's climbing ability, how does he feel?
4. What made Rudi's actions regarding Saxo's rescue all the more selfless?
5. In what ways did Rudi's vanquishing of fear change his perspective?
6. In which way did Rudi earn his uncle's admiration?
7. Why doesn't Saxo want to climb with Franz?
8. How did Winter's rationalization make sense to Franz?
9. What can the chapter title refer to if it is used as a metaphor?
10. How does Captain Winter shame the two guides into working together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the accident on the Wunderhorn change Rudi? Is this change for the positive or negative? Justify your answer. In what ways did this change Rudi's approach to climbing?
Essay Topic 2
Create a personality profile for Teo. Why do you think he was always helping Rudi? What kind of person was he and what kind of influence does he have on both the town and Rudi's family?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how intolerance is outlined and used as a catalyst throughout this novel. How is it a motivation for some characters? Explain how this is also used as a method for contrast. Explain your answer, and justify it using quotes from the book.
This section contains 1,187 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)