|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What warmed Rudi more than either tent or blanket?
2. Where did Rudi realize he was?
3. How many times did Rudi turn and look back?
4. What had disappeared with Rudi's fear?
5. Who was the first person to speak once the impact of what Rudi had said sunk in?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Winter's rationalization make sense to Franz?
2. In what ways did the Englishman not look so good?
3. How did Saxo treat pursuit of the summit originally? How did this change following his injury?
4. How did the stillness affect Rudi?
5. Why was Rudi so tired?
6. In which way did Rudi earn his uncle's admiration?
7. What kinds of things had changed since Rudi had nodded off?
8. What happened, and how did it strand Rudi?
9. Before Franz hears from Winter in regards to Rudi's climbing ability, how does he feel?
10. How did Winter keep peace between the two rival guides?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the differences in Franz's behavior in the beginning of the novel and towards the end. What or who was responsible for this change of opinion and how great was the change of opinion? What do you think would happen the next time Franz had a Herr? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Franz would not consent to going up the Citadel despite the large amount of money that he was offered. Discuss what this says about Franz's logic. What about his morality? Take a side on whether or not this was a logical decision, or one based entirely on emotion. Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Take a closer look at Rudi's character. How does he mature throughout the course of the story, and what events hasten this maturity? In what ways was it necessary for Rudi to mature before he climbed the Citadel, and why? Use quotes from the story to lend credibility to your answer.
This section contains 1,096 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)