|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What resolve deepened in Rudi?
2. For what was Frau Matt's prayer of thankfulness?
3. Under how many feet of snow was Winter buried?
4. How did Rudi's uncle respond to him threading the needle?
5. What made Rudi not want to go back to Kurtal?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Saxo treat pursuit of the summit originally? How did this change following his injury?
2. How did Winter keep peace between the two rival guides?
3. In what ways did Rudi's vanquishing of fear change his perspective?
4. What kinds of things had changed since Rudi had nodded off?
5. Why was Frau Matt not upset with Paul Tauglich?
6. Why didn't Rudi turn around when he knew he had to go back or be caught in darkness?
7. How did Winter's rationalization make sense to Franz?
8. What can the chapter title refer to if it is used as a metaphor?
9. What is the difference between the two guides as illustrated in this chapter?
10. How would the group had been defeated if not for Rudi?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the differences in Frau Matt's behavior in the beginning of the novel and towards the end. What do you think was the impetus to change this opinion? What changes did Frau Matt make in her behavior due to a lack of choice? What behaviors were changed because she wanted to change them?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the statement Teo makes, "You cannot bottle the wind." To what is he referring? What literary device is this? What does Teo do in this chapter, and how is it beneficial to Rudi?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how intolerance is outlined and used as a catalyst throughout this novel. How is it a motivation for some characters? Explain how this is also used as a method for contrast. Explain your answer, and justify it using quotes from the book.
This section contains 1,221 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)