|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why hadn't Rudi turned around when he knew he needed to?
2. What resolve deepened in Rudi?
3. What did Rudi compare Saxo to in his injury?
4. Why was not going on worst for Rudi?
5. What had awakened Rudi?
Short Essay Questions
1. What made Rudi's actions regarding Saxo's rescue all the more selfless?
2. In which way did Rudi earn his uncle's admiration?
3. What can the chapter title refer to if it is used as a metaphor?
4. How does Captain Winter shame the two guides into working together?
5. How did Winter's rationalization make sense to Franz?
6. What is the difference between the two guides as illustrated in this chapter?
7. What is Rudi's second major contribution to this hike, and how was it different from his attempted contribution before?
8. Why was Rudi so tired?
9. How would the group had been defeated if not for Rudi?
10. How did Rudi motivate himself when he thought he couldn't manage it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Speculate on why Winter gave the glory of climbing the mountain to Rudi. What might have been different if he had told the townspeople the truth? What would have happened? What might have possessed Winter to give up the Citadel so easily?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Winter's role in this story. What is his purpose? How does he hold the story together and why is he a necessary character? Why do you think the author chose to make Winter become ill during his climb up the Citadel? How do you think this affected this story, and how would it have been different if Winter would have maintained his health?
Essay Topic 3
Create a personality profile for Teo. Why do you think he was always helping Rudi? What kind of person was he and what kind of influence does he have on both the town and Rudi's family?
This section contains 1,210 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)