|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What made Rudi not want to go back to Kurtal?
2. Where did Rudi keep near when he had approached the area in which the avalanche had occurred the day before?
3. How many men were to remain behind?
4. Why wouldn't Franz continue to the top of the mountain, despite Winter insisting he do so?
5. Why did Rudi believe that Winter would make it?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of Winter's injury as it develops in the novel. What kind of effect does this have on the plot line? What would have been different had Winter not have gotten sick?
Essay Topic 2
In terms of storytelling, explain the difference between the Wunderhorn and the Citadel. In which ways are they two completely different mountains? In which ways are they similar? Explain your answer using quotes from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the tactical diplomacy of Winter involving Franz and Saxo. In which ways did he accomplish their working together. How did he get them to see eye-to-eye? Was this an effective tactic? Why or why not? What might have been a better way?
This section contains 1,111 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)