|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reward does Winter suggest that Rudi should get from them?
2. What does Captain Winter say that Rudi deserves?
3. What does Teo say abut Rudi?
4. Approximately how high is the top of the Wunderhorn?
5. What mountain did Rudy long to climb?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why didn't Josef Matt climb down the mountain with Teo?
2. How did Rudi save Mr. Winter?
3. Why did the people of Kurtal fear the Citadel?
4. What things made Rudi feel like a "man among men"?
5. Why is it unimportant that Rudi made the climb on his own?
6. What did the man in the cabin look like?
7. Why did Teo lie to Franz and Gretchen?
8. How could Captain Winter easily die if Franz lost his footing?
9. What was Rudi's fear when he had heard the voice?
10. How did Teo act as an experienced climber?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Rudi's father's death provide Rudi with the courage to surmount the Citadel? In how many ways did his father's death affect him? From which times did he draw strength? Which times was fear invoked and for what reason? Explain the answer and justify it using quotes from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Examine Winter's role in this story. What is his purpose? How does he hold the story together and why is he a necessary character? Why do you think the author chose to make Winter become ill during his climb up the Citadel? How do you think this affected this story, and how would it have been different if Winter would have maintained his health?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Frau Matt and Franz Lerner's control methods regarding Rudi. Speculate on the reasons they had failed. In which ways might they have succeeded, if they would have considered another method? Explain how their behavior could have encouraged Rudi even more.
This section contains 1,021 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)