|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the guides believe will destroy the Englishman and the guide from Broli?
2. What job does Teo do?
3. What was the man's name?
4. Until what time did Rudi wait in bed?
5. Who is the "madman" that Franz is referring to?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Teo act as an experienced climber?
2. How was Rudi a "prisoner"?
3. Why is it unimportant that Rudi made the climb on his own?
4. Why does Teo refer to Rudi as the only real climber in all of Kurtal?
5. What did Franz do to discourage climbing of the Citadel to Mr. Winter?
6. How were Franz and Captain Winter different as climbers?
7. Why do the people of the village think that Winter is crazy?
8. How is it obvious that Teo supports Rudi in climbing?
9. What did Rudi vow to do every time Franz came back, and why didn't he do it?
10. How did Rudi save Mr. Winter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the accident on the Wunderhorn change Rudi? Is this change for the positive or negative? Justify your answer. In what ways did this change Rudi's approach to climbing?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the differences in Frau Matt's behavior in the beginning of the novel and towards the end. What do you think was the impetus to change this opinion? What changes did Frau Matt make in her behavior due to a lack of choice? What behaviors were changed because she wanted to change them?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Winter's role in this story. What is his purpose? How does he hold the story together and why is he a necessary character? Why do you think the author chose to make Winter become ill during his climb up the Citadel? How do you think this affected this story, and how would it have been different if Winter would have maintained his health?
This section contains 1,067 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)