|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What guide does Mr. Winter hope to hire from Broli?
2. What mountain did Rudy long to climb?
3. What was the greatest sin a mountaineer can commit?
4. What do the guides believe will destroy the Englishman and the guide from Broli?
5. For what reason did Rudi reclaim his stick?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Franz do to discourage climbing of the Citadel to Mr. Winter?
2. What did the man in the cabin look like?
3. How is it obvious that Teo supports Rudi in climbing?
4. Why was Rudi concerned about his boots?
5. How were Franz and Captain Winter different as climbers?
6. Why did Rudi's father wear a red shirt every day he climbed?
7. Why didn't Josef Matt climb down the mountain with Teo?
8. Why does Rudi take such good care of his father's shirt?
9. In what ways was Rudi's build different from that of most boys of the village?
10. What things made Rudi feel like a "man among men"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the differences in Frau Matt's behavior in the beginning of the novel and towards the end. What do you think was the impetus to change this opinion? What changes did Frau Matt make in her behavior due to a lack of choice? What behaviors were changed because she wanted to change them?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Frau Matt and Franz Lerner's control methods regarding Rudi. Speculate on the reasons they had failed. In which ways might they have succeeded, if they would have considered another method? Explain how their behavior could have encouraged Rudi even more.
Essay Topic 3
How does the accident on the Wunderhorn change Rudi? Is this change for the positive or negative? Justify your answer. In what ways did this change Rudi's approach to climbing?
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)