|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Captain Winter going?
2. What was the man's name?
3. What had happened when they had reached the snow slope?
4. Who is the "madman" that Franz is referring to?
5. Where did Teo tell Franz that Rudi was?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was the hut on the Citadel different from the other huts?
2. How did Teo act as an experienced climber?
3. Why didn't Josef Matt climb down the mountain with Teo?
4. How was the alternating of the lead role the greatest compliment a guide could give his employer?
5. Why does Rudi take such good care of his father's shirt?
6. Why was it dangerous to travel up the slope in the sun?
7. In what ways was Rudi's build different from that of most boys of the village?
8. Why did Rudi have to keep to the shadows while playing hooky from work?
9. What information did Franz share with Ilse that was of particular interest to Rudi, and why was it so?
10. Why was the Edelweiss a favorite location of the guides and their porters in Kurtal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In terms of storytelling, explain the difference between the Wunderhorn and the Citadel. In which ways are they two completely different mountains? In which ways are they similar? Explain your answer using quotes from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Create a personality profile for Teo. Why do you think he was always helping Rudi? What kind of person was he and what kind of influence does he have on both the town and Rudi's family?
Essay Topic 3
Despite failing on the Wunderhorn, Winter still keeps insisting that Rudi be tried again and have a chance to go with them. When Rudi finally gets this chance he makes sure not to let them down. Explain why this is the case. Why does Winter invest so deeply in the boy?
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)