|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How far down does the person guess he is?
2. What reward does Winter suggest that Rudi should get from them?
3. Why did Rudi's mother think that Rudi had gone with Franz?
4. How does Franz comfort Frau Matt?
5. How did Rudi react to Captain Winters' story of his rescue?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Rudi vow to do every time Franz came back, and why didn't he do it?
2. In what ways was Rudi's build different from that of most boys of the village?
3. What does Teo mean when he says "you cannot bottle the wind"?
4. How was Rudi a "prisoner"?
5. Why was Rudi concerned about his boots?
6. Why was it dangerous to travel up the slope in the sun?
7. How was the hut on the Citadel different from the other huts?
8. What was Rudi's fear when he had heard the voice?
9. What information did Franz share with Ilse that was of particular interest to Rudi, and why was it so?
10. Who was Mr. Winter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Winter's role in this story. What is his purpose? How does he hold the story together and why is he a necessary character? Why do you think the author chose to make Winter become ill during his climb up the Citadel? How do you think this affected this story, and how would it have been different if Winter would have maintained his health?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of Winter's injury as it develops in the novel. What kind of effect does this have on the plot line? What would have been different had Winter not have gotten sick?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how intolerance is outlined and used as a catalyst throughout this novel. How is it a motivation for some characters? Explain how this is also used as a method for contrast. Explain your answer, and justify it using quotes from the book.
This section contains 1,067 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)