|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How far down does the person guess he is?
2. What spanned the crevasse at the center?
3. Why didn't Rudi's mother cry and cling to him?
4. Why was Rudi struggling under his burdens?
5. Where did Teo tell Franz that Rudi was?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was different between the upper and lower glaciers?
2. What things do Franz and Rudi's mother say to try and show the boy the sense in a career in a hotel?
3. How was the alternating of the lead role the greatest compliment a guide could give his employer?
4. Why was the Edelweiss a favorite location of the guides and their porters in Kurtal?
5. What did Rudi's uncle's face tell him, and how did this make Rudi feel?
6. Why was it dangerous to travel up the slope in the sun?
7. How is it obvious that Teo supports Rudi in climbing?
8. Why did Rudi's father wear a red shirt every day he climbed?
9. Why didn't Josef Matt climb down the mountain with Teo?
10. Why does Rudi take such good care of his father's shirt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Speculate on the purpose of Klaus' role in the story. Explain the feelings associated with this character from the perspective of the reader. Does this character play a significant role in the development of the story? Why or why not? Try and consider the author's reasoning for the incorporation of such a character.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the differences in Franz's behavior in the beginning of the novel and towards the end. What or who was responsible for this change of opinion and how great was the change of opinion? What do you think would happen the next time Franz had a Herr? Why?
Essay Topic 3
In terms of storytelling, explain the difference between the Wunderhorn and the Citadel. In which ways are they two completely different mountains? In which ways are they similar? Explain your answer using quotes from the book.
This section contains 1,050 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)