|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the other boys of the village call Rudi?
2. In what kind of tree was Rudi's staff hidden?
3. For what reason did Rudi reclaim his stick?
4. What does Teo say abut Rudi?
5. How did Rudi know his father's shirt had to be of high quality?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Franz looking at Rudi as though he had never seen him before?
2. What did the man in the cabin look like?
3. Why was Rudi concerned about his boots?
4. What was Rudi's fear when he had heard the voice?
5. What was it that Winter said that left Rudi spellbound?
6. What did Rudi's uncle's face tell him, and how did this make Rudi feel?
7. Why did Rudi's father wear a red shirt every day he climbed?
8. Why is it unimportant that Rudi made the climb on his own?
9. How did Franz find out where Rudi was?
10. What did Franz do to discourage climbing of the Citadel to Mr. Winter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the differences in Frau Matt's behavior in the beginning of the novel and towards the end. What do you think was the impetus to change this opinion? What changes did Frau Matt make in her behavior due to a lack of choice? What behaviors were changed because she wanted to change them?
Essay Topic 2
Speculate on the purpose of Klaus' role in the story. Explain the feelings associated with this character from the perspective of the reader. Does this character play a significant role in the development of the story? Why or why not? Try and consider the author's reasoning for the incorporation of such a character.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the personification of the hazards of the mountain. How did this propagate the fear of the villagers? If to take this into consideration, are the villagers narrow minded? Explain your answer. What emotion finally got the rest of the Kurtalers up the mountain?
This section contains 1,025 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)