|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has the person been in the crevasse?
2. Why is Rudi employed as a dishwasher?
3. How many days did it rain?
4. What often happens in the high mountains?
5. How did Rudi move?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was different between the upper and lower glaciers?
2. Why didn't Rudi turn around when he knew he had to go back or be caught in darkness?
3. Why doesn't Saxo want to climb with Franz?
4. How is it obvious that Teo supports Rudi in climbing?
5. How did Saxo treat pursuit of the summit originally? How did this change following his injury?
6. What happened, and how did it strand Rudi?
7. In what ways did the Englishman not look so good?
8. How does Captain Winter shame the two guides into working together?
9. How did the stillness affect Rudi?
10. How would the group had been defeated if not for Rudi?
Essay Topic 1
Create a personality profile for Teo. Why do you think he was always helping Rudi? What kind of person was he and what kind of influence does he have on both the town and Rudi's family?
Essay Topic 2
Explain how intolerance is outlined and used as a catalyst throughout this novel. How is it a motivation for some characters? Explain how this is also used as a method for contrast. Explain your answer, and justify it using quotes from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the statement Teo makes, "You cannot bottle the wind." To what is he referring? What literary device is this? What does Teo do in this chapter, and how is it beneficial to Rudi?
This section contains 1,884 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)