Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has the person been in the crevasse?
2. Why is Rudi employed as a dishwasher?
3. How many days did it rain?
4. What often happens in the high mountains?
5. How did Rudi move?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was different between the upper and lower glaciers?
2. Why didn't Rudi turn around when he knew he had to go back or be caught in darkness?
3. Why doesn't Saxo want to climb with Franz?
4. How is it obvious that Teo supports Rudi in climbing?
5. How did Saxo treat pursuit of the summit originally? How did this change following his injury?
6. What happened, and how did it strand Rudi?
7. In what ways did the Englishman not look so good?
8. How does Captain Winter shame the two guides into working together?
9. How did the stillness affect Rudi?
10. How would the group had been defeated if not for Rudi?
Essay Topic 1
Speculate on the purpose of Klaus' role in the story. Explain the feelings associated with this character from the perspective of the reader. Does this character play a significant role in the development of the story? Why or why not? Try and consider the author's reasoning for the incorporation of such a character.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the statement Teo makes, "You cannot bottle the wind." To what is he referring? What literary device is this? What does Teo do in this chapter, and how is it beneficial to Rudi?
Essay Topic 3
Speculate on why Winter gave the glory of climbing the mountain to Rudi. What might have been different if he had told the townspeople the truth? What would have happened? What might have possessed Winter to give up the Citadel so easily?
This section contains 1,084 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)