|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Winter and Saxo spend the first hour in the hut doing?
2. What other village bordered the Citadel?
3. What would Rudi have been glad to do?
4. How many mountains did Franz climb in one week?
5. What time were the guides of Kurtal set to mobilize?
Short Essay Questions
1. What things do Franz and Rudi's mother say to try and show the boy the sense in a career in a hotel?
2. What was different between the upper and lower glaciers?
3. What did Rudi vow to do every time Franz came back, and why didn't he do it?
4. What was Rudi's fear when he had heard the voice?
5. How did Rudi save Mr. Winter?
6. What was it that Winter said that left Rudi spellbound?
7. How was the hut on the Citadel different from the other huts?
8. Why does Teo refer to Rudi as the only real climber in all of Kurtal?
9. What did Franz do to discourage climbing of the Citadel to Mr. Winter?
10. Why was Rudi concerned about his boots?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the personification of the hazards of the mountain. How did this propagate the fear of the villagers? If to take this into consideration, are the villagers narrow minded? Explain your answer. What emotion finally got the rest of the Kurtalers up the mountain?
Essay Topic 2
Despite failing on the Wunderhorn, Winter still keeps insisting that Rudi be tried again and have a chance to go with them. When Rudi finally gets this chance he makes sure not to let them down. Explain why this is the case. Why does Winter invest so deeply in the boy?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the differences in Franz's behavior in the beginning of the novel and towards the end. What or who was responsible for this change of opinion and how great was the change of opinion? What do you think would happen the next time Franz had a Herr? Why?
This section contains 1,027 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)