|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Winter volunteer to go after Rudi?
2. How many days did it rain?
3. Why didn't Saxo want Rudi coming along?
4. What was the proprietor of the moving shadow?
5. What were tourists called?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Rudi concerned about his boots?
2. What information did Franz share with Ilse that was of particular interest to Rudi, and why was it so?
3. Why did Rudi have to keep to the shadows while playing hooky from work?
4. What did Rudi's uncle's face tell him, and how did this make Rudi feel?
5. Why is it unimportant that Rudi made the climb on his own?
6. What was different between the upper and lower glaciers?
7. What was Rudi's fear when he had heard the voice?
8. Why do the people of the village think that Winter is crazy?
9. Why was it dangerous to travel up the slope in the sun?
10. What did the man in the cabin look like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the tactical diplomacy of Winter involving Franz and Saxo. In which ways did he accomplish their working together. How did he get them to see eye-to-eye? Was this an effective tactic? Why or why not? What might have been a better way?
Essay Topic 2
Speculate on the purpose of Klaus' role in the story. Explain the feelings associated with this character from the perspective of the reader. Does this character play a significant role in the development of the story? Why or why not? Try and consider the author's reasoning for the incorporation of such a character.
Essay Topic 3
Franz would not consent to going up the Citadel despite the large amount of money that he was offered. Discuss what this says about Franz's logic. What about his morality? Take a side on whether or not this was a logical decision, or one based entirely on emotion. Explain.
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)