|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Winter volunteer to go after Rudi?
2. What had Rudi's tormentor seen?
3. What other village bordered the Citadel?
4. What did Captain Winter remind Rudi of when he was climbing?
5. How many mountains did Franz climb in one week?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways was Rudi's build different from that of most boys of the village?
2. How could Captain Winter easily die if Franz lost his footing?
3. Why was Franz looking at Rudi as though he had never seen him before?
4. In what ways did the Englishman not look so good?
5. Why was Rudi concerned about his boots?
6. How was the town of Kurtal as it had never been?
7. How were Franz and Captain Winter different as climbers?
8. What information did Franz share with Ilse that was of particular interest to Rudi, and why was it so?
9. Why was the Edelweiss a favorite location of the guides and their porters in Kurtal?
10. What can the chapter title refer to if it is used as a metaphor?
Essay Topic 1
Despite failing on the Wunderhorn, Winter still keeps insisting that Rudi be tried again and have a chance to go with them. When Rudi finally gets this chance he makes sure not to let them down. Explain why this is the case. Why does Winter invest so deeply in the boy?
Essay Topic 2
Speculate on why Winter gave the glory of climbing the mountain to Rudi. What might have been different if he had told the townspeople the truth? What would have happened? What might have possessed Winter to give up the Citadel so easily?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the personification of the hazards of the mountain. How did this propagate the fear of the villagers? If to take this into consideration, are the villagers narrow minded? Explain your answer. What emotion finally got the rest of the Kurtalers up the mountain?
This section contains 1,824 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)