|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Rudi to be ashamed of the mistake he made?
2. Why didn't Saxo want Rudi coming along?
3. What does Captain Winter say that Rudi deserves?
4. What color did Rudy want his face to be?
5. What guide does Mr. Winter hope to hire from Broli?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Winter's rationalization make sense to Franz?
2. What is Rudi's second major contribution to this hike, and how was it different from his attempted contribution before?
3. Why doesn't Saxo want to climb with Franz?
4. Who was Mr. Winter?
5. How was Rudi a "prisoner"?
6. Why did Teo lie to Franz and Gretchen?
7. In what ways did Rudi's vanquishing of fear change his perspective?
8. How would the group had been defeated if not for Rudi?
9. Why is it unimportant that Rudi made the climb on his own?
10. Why was it dangerous to travel up the slope in the sun?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Saxo's behavior and maturity throughout the novel. What kind of character is Saxo, and what role does he play in the story? Speculate on his accident and the author's purpose for him getting in an accident.
Essay Topic 2
How did Rudi's father's death provide Rudi with the courage to surmount the Citadel? In how many ways did his father's death affect him? From which times did he draw strength? Which times was fear invoked and for what reason? Explain the answer and justify it using quotes from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Take a closer look at Rudi's character. How does he mature throughout the course of the story, and what events hasten this maturity? In what ways was it necessary for Rudi to mature before he climbed the Citadel, and why? Use quotes from the story to lend credibility to your answer.
This section contains 1,828 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)