|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had changed in Rudi's lifetime?
2. What was the man's name?
3. What is the only nice thing that was said of Emil Saxo?
4. How much did Winter offer Franz to climb the Citadel with him?
5. What was Teo's last hike?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened, and how did it strand Rudi?
2. How did Saxo treat pursuit of the summit originally? How did this change following his injury?
3. Why did Rudi's father wear a red shirt every day he climbed?
4. What did Rudi vow to do every time Franz came back, and why didn't he do it?
5. Why do the people of the village think that Winter is crazy?
6. Why was Frau Matt not upset with Paul Tauglich?
7. Why didn't Josef Matt climb down the mountain with Teo?
8. What is the difference between the two guides as illustrated in this chapter?
9. What did the man in the cabin look like?
10. What was it that Winter said that left Rudi spellbound?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Winter's role in this story. What is his purpose? How does he hold the story together and why is he a necessary character? Why do you think the author chose to make Winter become ill during his climb up the Citadel? How do you think this affected this story, and how would it have been different if Winter would have maintained his health?
Essay Topic 2
Despite failing on the Wunderhorn, Winter still keeps insisting that Rudi be tried again and have a chance to go with them. When Rudi finally gets this chance he makes sure not to let them down. Explain why this is the case. Why does Winter invest so deeply in the boy?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the personification of the hazards of the mountain. How did this propagate the fear of the villagers? If to take this into consideration, are the villagers narrow minded? Explain your answer. What emotion finally got the rest of the Kurtalers up the mountain?
This section contains 1,947 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)