|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What mountain did Rudy long to climb?
2. Why doesn't Rudi want Winter speaking of his rescue?
3. How much did Winter offer Franz to climb the Citadel with him?
4. With what does Teo fill the pack he gives to Rudi?
5. What in the rock glittered like diamonds?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is it obvious that Teo supports Rudi in climbing?
2. Why did Teo lie to Franz and Gretchen?
3. In what ways was Rudi's build different from that of most boys of the village?
4. Why didn't Josef Matt climb down the mountain with Teo?
5. How was the alternating of the lead role the greatest compliment a guide could give his employer?
6. What information did Franz share with Ilse that was of particular interest to Rudi, and why was it so?
7. Why was the Edelweiss a favorite location of the guides and their porters in Kurtal?
8. How did Franz find out where Rudi was?
9. How did Rudi save Mr. Winter?
10. What was it that Winter said that left Rudi spellbound?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the differences in Frau Matt's behavior in the beginning of the novel and towards the end. What do you think was the impetus to change this opinion? What changes did Frau Matt make in her behavior due to a lack of choice? What behaviors were changed because she wanted to change them?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Frau Matt and Franz Lerner's control methods regarding Rudi. Speculate on the reasons they had failed. In which ways might they have succeeded, if they would have considered another method? Explain how their behavior could have encouraged Rudi even more.
Essay Topic 3
Speculate on the purpose of Klaus' role in the story. Explain the feelings associated with this character from the perspective of the reader. Does this character play a significant role in the development of the story? Why or why not? Try and consider the author's reasoning for the incorporation of such a character.
This section contains 1,088 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)