|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what kind of tree was Rudi's staff hidden?
2. What do the guides believe will destroy the Englishman and the guide from Broli?
3. Who saw the three climb up the icefall?
4. How far down does the person guess he is?
5. How does Franz comfort Frau Matt?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways did Rudi's vanquishing of fear change his perspective?
2. Why do the people of the village think that Winter is crazy?
3. What did Franz do to discourage climbing of the Citadel to Mr. Winter?
4. How did the stillness affect Rudi?
5. How were Franz and Captain Winter different as climbers?
6. How did Franz find out where Rudi was?
7. How could Captain Winter easily die if Franz lost his footing?
8. How is it obvious that Teo supports Rudi in climbing?
9. Why was Rudi so tired?
10. Why does Teo refer to Rudi as the only real climber in all of Kurtal?
Essay Topic 1
Take a closer look at Rudi's character. How does he mature throughout the course of the story, and what events hasten this maturity? In what ways was it necessary for Rudi to mature before he climbed the Citadel, and why? Use quotes from the story to lend credibility to your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How did Rudi's father's death provide Rudi with the courage to surmount the Citadel? In how many ways did his father's death affect him? From which times did he draw strength? Which times was fear invoked and for what reason? Explain the answer and justify it using quotes from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the personification of the hazards of the mountain. How did this propagate the fear of the villagers? If to take this into consideration, are the villagers narrow minded? Explain your answer. What emotion finally got the rest of the Kurtalers up the mountain?
This section contains 1,882 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)