|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What country did Rudi guess the man was from?
2. What lie does Rudi tell Winter?
3. How much did Winter offer Franz to climb the Citadel with him?
4. Why is Rudi employed as a dishwasher?
5. How far beneath the Hut was the town of Kurtal?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why didn't Josef Matt climb down the mountain with Teo?
2. How did Rudi save Mr. Winter?
3. How did Teo act as an experienced climber?
4. Why did the people of Kurtal fear the Citadel?
5. What was different between the upper and lower glaciers?
6. What was Rudi's fear when he had heard the voice?
7. What did Rudi's uncle's face tell him, and how did this make Rudi feel?
8. Why was it dangerous to travel up the slope in the sun?
9. What does Teo mean when he says "you cannot bottle the wind"?
10. How did Franz find out where Rudi was?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Franz would not consent to going up the Citadel despite the large amount of money that he was offered. Discuss what this says about Franz's logic. What about his morality? Take a side on whether or not this was a logical decision, or one based entirely on emotion. Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of Winter's injury as it develops in the novel. What kind of effect does this have on the plot line? What would have been different had Winter not have gotten sick?
Essay Topic 3
Create a personality profile for Teo. Why do you think he was always helping Rudi? What kind of person was he and what kind of influence does he have on both the town and Rudi's family?
This section contains 988 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)