|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what reason did Rudi reclaim his stick?
2. How long has the person been in the crevasse?
3. What other village bordered the Citadel?
4. What mountain did Rudy long to climb?
5. Where did Teo tell Franz that Rudi was?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Rudi have to keep to the shadows while playing hooky from work?
2. What did Rudi vow to do every time Franz came back, and why didn't he do it?
3. Who was Mr. Winter?
4. How did Franz find out where Rudi was?
5. What did the man in the cabin look like?
6. Why is it unimportant that Rudi made the climb on his own?
7. Why did Teo lie to Franz and Gretchen?
8. How did Teo act as an experienced climber?
9. Why do the people of the village think that Winter is crazy?
10. Why didn't Josef Matt climb down the mountain with Teo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the accident on the Wunderhorn change Rudi? Is this change for the positive or negative? Justify your answer. In what ways did this change Rudi's approach to climbing?
Essay Topic 2
Speculate on why Winter gave the glory of climbing the mountain to Rudi. What might have been different if he had told the townspeople the truth? What would have happened? What might have possessed Winter to give up the Citadel so easily?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the statement Teo makes, "You cannot bottle the wind." To what is he referring? What literary device is this? What does Teo do in this chapter, and how is it beneficial to Rudi?
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)