|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Teo first raise his beer to?
2. How did Rudi move?
3. What were tourists called?
4. What was the greatest sin a mountaineer can commit?
5. What had Rudi never received before?
Short Essay Questions
1. Before Franz hears from Winter in regards to Rudi's climbing ability, how does he feel?
2. Why does Teo raising his glass to Saxo anger all in the tavern?
3. Why was Frau Matt not upset with Paul Tauglich?
4. How did Teo act as an experienced climber?
5. Why was the Edelweiss a favorite location of the guides and their porters in Kurtal?
6. Why was Rudi so tired?
7. How did Saxo treat Rudi differently after they had gotten down to the base of the Citadel?
8. In what ways was Rudi's build different from that of most boys of the village?
9. What kinds of things had changed since Rudi had nodded off?
10. What things do Franz and Rudi's mother say to try and show the boy the sense in a career in a hotel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Despite failing on the Wunderhorn, Winter still keeps insisting that Rudi be tried again and have a chance to go with them. When Rudi finally gets this chance he makes sure not to let them down. Explain why this is the case. Why does Winter invest so deeply in the boy?
Essay Topic 2
How did Rudi's father's death provide Rudi with the courage to surmount the Citadel? In how many ways did his father's death affect him? From which times did he draw strength? Which times was fear invoked and for what reason? Explain the answer and justify it using quotes from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of Winter's injury as it develops in the novel. What kind of effect does this have on the plot line? What would have been different had Winter not have gotten sick?
This section contains 1,887 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)