|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many mountains did Franz climb in one week?
2. What would Rudi have been glad to do?
3. How many people could stay in the Blausee Hut?
4. What often happens in the high mountains?
5. What is the first thing Rudi tied to the staff?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Franz looking at Rudi as though he had never seen him before?
2. Why does Teo raising his glass to Saxo anger all in the tavern?
3. Why did Rudi have to keep to the shadows while playing hooky from work?
4. How was the alternating of the lead role the greatest compliment a guide could give his employer?
5. What was it that Winter said that left Rudi spellbound?
6. What does Teo mean when he says "you cannot bottle the wind"?
7. Why was the Edelweiss a favorite location of the guides and their porters in Kurtal?
8. Why does Teo refer to Rudi as the only real climber in all of Kurtal?
9. How did Teo act as an experienced climber?
10. What did Rudi's uncle's face tell him, and how did this make Rudi feel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the statement Teo makes, "You cannot bottle the wind." To what is he referring? What literary device is this? What does Teo do in this chapter, and how is it beneficial to Rudi?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the personification of the hazards of the mountain. How did this propagate the fear of the villagers? If to take this into consideration, are the villagers narrow minded? Explain your answer. What emotion finally got the rest of the Kurtalers up the mountain?
Essay Topic 3
Speculate on the purpose of Klaus' role in the story. Explain the feelings associated with this character from the perspective of the reader. Does this character play a significant role in the development of the story? Why or why not? Try and consider the author's reasoning for the incorporation of such a character.
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)