|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many dishes did Rudi break?
2. What was Teo's last hike?
3. How old was Teo?
4. In what kind of tree was Rudi's staff hidden?
5. What did the person in the crevasse lose when he fell?
Short Essay Questions
1. What things made Rudi feel like a "man among men"?
2. How could Captain Winter easily die if Franz lost his footing?
3. Why was the Edelweiss a favorite location of the guides and their porters in Kurtal?
4. What did Rudi's uncle's face tell him, and how did this make Rudi feel?
5. What did Rudi vow to do every time Franz came back, and why didn't he do it?
6. Why did Teo lie to Franz and Gretchen?
7. How did Rudi save Mr. Winter?
8. How was the alternating of the lead role the greatest compliment a guide could give his employer?
9. How did Franz find out where Rudi was?
10. Why was it dangerous to travel up the slope in the sun?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the personification of the hazards of the mountain. How did this propagate the fear of the villagers? If to take this into consideration, are the villagers narrow minded? Explain your answer. What emotion finally got the rest of the Kurtalers up the mountain?
Essay Topic 2
Despite failing on the Wunderhorn, Winter still keeps insisting that Rudi be tried again and have a chance to go with them. When Rudi finally gets this chance he makes sure not to let them down. Explain why this is the case. Why does Winter invest so deeply in the boy?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the statement Teo makes, "You cannot bottle the wind." To what is he referring? What literary device is this? What does Teo do in this chapter, and how is it beneficial to Rudi?
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)