|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year does this story take place?
2. What had there never been in Kurtal?
3. What is the first thing Rudi tied to the staff?
4. How far beneath the Hut was the town of Kurtal?
5. What did Winter and Saxo spend the first hour in the hut doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Rudi's fear when he had heard the voice?
2. What was it that Winter said that left Rudi spellbound?
3. What things do Franz and Rudi's mother say to try and show the boy the sense in a career in a hotel?
4. Who was Mr. Winter?
5. What things made Rudi feel like a "man among men"?
6. How did Franz find out where Rudi was?
7. How did Rudi save Mr. Winter?
8. What was different between the upper and lower glaciers?
9. What information did Franz share with Ilse that was of particular interest to Rudi, and why was it so?
10. In what ways was Rudi's build different from that of most boys of the village?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the statement Teo makes, "You cannot bottle the wind." To what is he referring? What literary device is this? What does Teo do in this chapter, and how is it beneficial to Rudi?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the tactical diplomacy of Winter involving Franz and Saxo. In which ways did he accomplish their working together. How did he get them to see eye-to-eye? Was this an effective tactic? Why or why not? What might have been a better way?
Essay Topic 3
Despite failing on the Wunderhorn, Winter still keeps insisting that Rudi be tried again and have a chance to go with them. When Rudi finally gets this chance he makes sure not to let them down. Explain why this is the case. Why does Winter invest so deeply in the boy?
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)