|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the last person that Teo raises his glass to?
2. What was the difference in climbing the snow slope and climbing the ice?
3. What did Rudi strike a second match for?
4. Who did Rudi suspect was the shadowy figure?
5. What happened to Rudi?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it unimportant that Rudi made the climb on his own?
2. Why was Rudi concerned about his boots?
3. How was the alternating of the lead role the greatest compliment a guide could give his employer?
4. What did Franz do to discourage climbing of the Citadel to Mr. Winter?
5. How could Captain Winter easily die if Franz lost his footing?
6. Why did Rudi's father wear a red shirt every day he climbed?
7. Why didn't Josef Matt climb down the mountain with Teo?
8. What does Teo mean when he says "you cannot bottle the wind"?
9. Why was the Edelweiss a favorite location of the guides and their porters in Kurtal?
10. What did the man in the cabin look like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the accident on the Wunderhorn change Rudi? Is this change for the positive or negative? Justify your answer. In what ways did this change Rudi's approach to climbing?
Essay Topic 2
Speculate on why Winter gave the glory of climbing the mountain to Rudi. What might have been different if he had told the townspeople the truth? What would have happened? What might have possessed Winter to give up the Citadel so easily?
Essay Topic 3
In terms of storytelling, explain the difference between the Wunderhorn and the Citadel. In which ways are they two completely different mountains? In which ways are they similar? Explain your answer using quotes from the book.
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)