|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had Rudi's tormentor seen?
2. With what does Teo fill the pack he gives to Rudi?
3. Where did Teo tell Franz that Rudi was?
4. In what year does this story take place?
5. How many dishes did Rudi break?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was the alternating of the lead role the greatest compliment a guide could give his employer?
2. Why did Rudi's father wear a red shirt every day he climbed?
3. Why does Rudi take such good care of his father's shirt?
4. Why was Franz looking at Rudi as though he had never seen him before?
5. Why does Teo raising his glass to Saxo anger all in the tavern?
6. What was it that Winter said that left Rudi spellbound?
7. What did Rudi vow to do every time Franz came back, and why didn't he do it?
8. Why did the people of Kurtal fear the Citadel?
9. Why does Teo refer to Rudi as the only real climber in all of Kurtal?
10. How was the hut on the Citadel different from the other huts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Saxo's behavior and maturity throughout the novel. What kind of character is Saxo, and what role does he play in the story? Speculate on his accident and the author's purpose for him getting in an accident.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the differences in Frau Matt's behavior in the beginning of the novel and towards the end. What do you think was the impetus to change this opinion? What changes did Frau Matt make in her behavior due to a lack of choice? What behaviors were changed because she wanted to change them?
Essay Topic 3
In terms of storytelling, explain the difference between the Wunderhorn and the Citadel. In which ways are they two completely different mountains? In which ways are they similar? Explain your answer using quotes from the book.
This section contains 1,039 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)