|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Teo say in regard to Rudi's climb with him?
2. For what reason did Rudi reclaim his stick?
3. What was the highest honor a man could obtain?
4. What had Rudi's tormentor seen?
5. Why does Winter volunteer to go after Rudi?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Rudi's uncle's face tell him, and how did this make Rudi feel?
2. Why was the Edelweiss a favorite location of the guides and their porters in Kurtal?
3. How is it obvious that Teo supports Rudi in climbing?
4. What things made Rudi feel like a "man among men"?
5. Why does Rudi take such good care of his father's shirt?
6. Why do the people of the village think that Winter is crazy?
7. Why did Rudi's father wear a red shirt every day he climbed?
8. Why does Teo refer to Rudi as the only real climber in all of Kurtal?
9. What did the man in the cabin look like?
10. What things do Franz and Rudi's mother say to try and show the boy the sense in a career in a hotel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of Winter's injury as it develops in the novel. What kind of effect does this have on the plot line? What would have been different had Winter not have gotten sick?
Essay Topic 2
Take a closer look at Rudi's character. How does he mature throughout the course of the story, and what events hasten this maturity? In what ways was it necessary for Rudi to mature before he climbed the Citadel, and why? Use quotes from the story to lend credibility to your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the differences in Franz's behavior in the beginning of the novel and towards the end. What or who was responsible for this change of opinion and how great was the change of opinion? What do you think would happen the next time Franz had a Herr? Why?
This section contains 1,092 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)