|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what does Teo fill the pack he gives to Rudi?
2. What did the person in the crevasse lose when he fell?
3. How did Rudi react to Captain Winters' story of his rescue?
4. What was Rudi's mother known for?
5. How old was Rudi's mother when Josef died?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Rudi vow to do every time Franz came back, and why didn't he do it?
2. In what ways was Rudi's build different from that of most boys of the village?
3. Who was Mr. Winter?
4. How was Rudi a "prisoner"?
5. Why didn't Josef Matt climb down the mountain with Teo?
6. Why was Rudi concerned about his boots?
7. Why do the people of the village think that Winter is crazy?
8. What did the man in the cabin look like?
9. What did Rudi's uncle's face tell him, and how did this make Rudi feel?
10. How did Franz find out where Rudi was?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Saxo's behavior and maturity throughout the novel. What kind of character is Saxo, and what role does he play in the story? Speculate on his accident and the author's purpose for him getting in an accident.
Essay Topic 2
Speculate on the purpose of Klaus' role in the story. Explain the feelings associated with this character from the perspective of the reader. Does this character play a significant role in the development of the story? Why or why not? Try and consider the author's reasoning for the incorporation of such a character.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Frau Matt and Franz Lerner's control methods regarding Rudi. Speculate on the reasons they had failed. In which ways might they have succeeded, if they would have considered another method? Explain how their behavior could have encouraged Rudi even more.
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)