|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Rudi move?
2. Why doesn't Rudi want Winter speaking of his rescue?
3. What was Rudi's mother known for?
4. How many people could stay in the Blausee Hut?
5. What did the group take with them?
Short Essay Questions
1. What things do Franz and Rudi's mother say to try and show the boy the sense in a career in a hotel?
2. How was Rudi a "prisoner"?
3. How did Teo act as an experienced climber?
4. Who was Mr. Winter?
5. How did Franz find out where Rudi was?
6. Why is it unimportant that Rudi made the climb on his own?
7. Why do the people of the village think that Winter is crazy?
8. What was different between the upper and lower glaciers?
9. What things made Rudi feel like a "man among men"?
10. Why was it dangerous to travel up the slope in the sun?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a personality profile for Teo. Why do you think he was always helping Rudi? What kind of person was he and what kind of influence does he have on both the town and Rudi's family?
Essay Topic 2
Explain how intolerance is outlined and used as a catalyst throughout this novel. How is it a motivation for some characters? Explain how this is also used as a method for contrast. Explain your answer, and justify it using quotes from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Examine Winter's role in this story. What is his purpose? How does he hold the story together and why is he a necessary character? Why do you think the author chose to make Winter become ill during his climb up the Citadel? How do you think this affected this story, and how would it have been different if Winter would have maintained his health?
This section contains 988 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)