|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Franz think that Rudi can be a porter?
2. What do the guides believe will destroy the Englishman and the guide from Broli?
3. Which ridge does Rudi think is the only passable one?
4. What job does Teo do?
5. What guide does Mr. Winter hope to hire from Broli?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Teo mean when he says "you cannot bottle the wind"?
2. How was the alternating of the lead role the greatest compliment a guide could give his employer?
3. What was Rudi's fear when he had heard the voice?
4. In what ways was Rudi's build different from that of most boys of the village?
5. Why does Rudi take such good care of his father's shirt?
6. Why didn't Josef Matt climb down the mountain with Teo?
7. What was different between the upper and lower glaciers?
8. What things made Rudi feel like a "man among men"?
9. Why was it dangerous to travel up the slope in the sun?
10. Why did Rudi have to keep to the shadows while playing hooky from work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the statement Teo makes, "You cannot bottle the wind." To what is he referring? What literary device is this? What does Teo do in this chapter, and how is it beneficial to Rudi?
Essay Topic 2
Create a personality profile for Teo. Why do you think he was always helping Rudi? What kind of person was he and what kind of influence does he have on both the town and Rudi's family?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the differences in Franz's behavior in the beginning of the novel and towards the end. What or who was responsible for this change of opinion and how great was the change of opinion? What do you think would happen the next time Franz had a Herr? Why?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)