|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What lie does Rudi tell Winter?
2. Who is the "madman" that Franz is referring to?
3. Why didn't Rudi's mother cry and cling to him?
4. What country did Rudi guess the man was from?
5. How many days did it rain?
Short Essay Questions
1. How were Franz and Captain Winter different as climbers?
2. How did Rudi save Mr. Winter?
3. Why is it unimportant that Rudi made the climb on his own?
4. How is it obvious that Teo supports Rudi in climbing?
5. What did Rudi's uncle's face tell him, and how did this make Rudi feel?
6. How was the hut on the Citadel different from the other huts?
7. Why did Teo lie to Franz and Gretchen?
8. Why did Rudi's father wear a red shirt every day he climbed?
9. Why did Rudi have to keep to the shadows while playing hooky from work?
10. What does Teo mean when he says "you cannot bottle the wind"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Despite failing on the Wunderhorn, Winter still keeps insisting that Rudi be tried again and have a chance to go with them. When Rudi finally gets this chance he makes sure not to let them down. Explain why this is the case. Why does Winter invest so deeply in the boy?
Essay Topic 2
Speculate on why Winter gave the glory of climbing the mountain to Rudi. What might have been different if he had told the townspeople the truth? What would have happened? What might have possessed Winter to give up the Citadel so easily?
Essay Topic 3
Speculate on the purpose of Klaus' role in the story. Explain the feelings associated with this character from the perspective of the reader. Does this character play a significant role in the development of the story? Why or why not? Try and consider the author's reasoning for the incorporation of such a character.
This section contains 1,109 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)