|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would Rudi have been glad to do?
2. Who saw the three climb up the icefall?
3. For what reason did Rudi reclaim his stick?
4. What does Captain Winter say that Rudi deserves?
5. What was the favorite resort of the guides of Kurtal?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information did Franz share with Ilse that was of particular interest to Rudi, and why was it so?
2. Why didn't Josef Matt climb down the mountain with Teo?
3. What does Teo mean when he says "you cannot bottle the wind"?
4. Why did Rudi's father wear a red shirt every day he climbed?
5. What did Rudi vow to do every time Franz came back, and why didn't he do it?
6. What was Rudi's fear when he had heard the voice?
7. Why was the Edelweiss a favorite location of the guides and their porters in Kurtal?
8. How was the hut on the Citadel different from the other huts?
9. What things made Rudi feel like a "man among men"?
10. Why did Teo lie to Franz and Gretchen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of Winter's injury as it develops in the novel. What kind of effect does this have on the plot line? What would have been different had Winter not have gotten sick?
Essay Topic 2
Speculate on why Winter gave the glory of climbing the mountain to Rudi. What might have been different if he had told the townspeople the truth? What would have happened? What might have possessed Winter to give up the Citadel so easily?
Essay Topic 3
In terms of storytelling, explain the difference between the Wunderhorn and the Citadel. In which ways are they two completely different mountains? In which ways are they similar? Explain your answer using quotes from the book.
This section contains 1,067 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)