|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long did it take Rudi to reach the top of the bergschrund?
(a) An hour.
(b) Forty minutes.
(c) Two hours.
(d) A half hour.
2. About how many feet were above Rudi?
(a) Almost one thousand.
(b) Almost twenty two hundred.
(c) Almost three thousand.
(d) Almost two thousand.
3. How does Winter explain that they should approach the mountain as a group?
(a) As rivals, and compete for the prize that is the top of the mountain.
(b) As equals, people that want to climb the Citadel together.
(c) As human beings, not people from different towns or nations.
(d) As friends, and bury the hatchet of hatred between the two villages.
4. What honor was bestowed upon Rudi?
(a) The lead position.
(b) The privilege of discussing the route with them.
(c) He was allowed to decide the route.
(d) He was allowed one full tent on his own.
5. Why did Frau Matt consider herself in the wrong?
(a) For worrying about Rudi when truly he is a capable climber.
(b) She had kept Rudi from pursuing his dreams all this time.
(c) For pushing the townsfolk to lie to cover up Rudi's whereabouts.
(d) She had reacted without thinking of her son's wishes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Franz see that caused him to pause?
2. Who convinces Franz to climb the Citadel?
3. What made Rudi not want to go back to Kurtal?
4. What approximate time was it when the group had moved past the Needle?
5. What had unnerved Rudi?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Winter's rationalization make sense to Franz?
2. What can the chapter title refer to if it is used as a metaphor?
3. How does Captain Winter shame the two guides into working together?
4. What happened, and how did it strand Rudi?
5. How did the stillness affect Rudi?
6. Why didn't Rudi turn around when he knew he had to go back or be caught in darkness?
7. What kinds of things had changed since Rudi had nodded off?
8. What was the reason that Rudi couldn't come with Saxo and Winter to Broli?
9. What made Rudi's actions regarding Saxo's rescue all the more selfless?
10. Why was Rudi so tired?
This section contains 1,180 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)