|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About how many feet were above Rudi?
(a) Almost one thousand.
(b) Almost twenty two hundred.
(c) Almost three thousand.
(d) Almost two thousand.
2. How many men were to remain behind?
3. When did Rudi finally allow himself to collapse?
(a) When he had gotten Saxo to the tents.
(b) When he had summoned Franz and Winter.
(c) When he had gotten Saxo to the Fortress.
(d) When he had gotten Saxo to the bottom of the mountain.
4. Why was Rudi frustrated and shamed when he came to the crack?
(a) He had dangled.
(b) He had slipped and fallen.
(c) It was the first time in which he had needed assistance from the others.
(d) He was hauled up like a bundle of firewood.
5. For what was Frau Matt's prayer of thankfulness?
(a) Her brother's mountaineering spirit.
(b) Her brother's strong will.
(c) Her son's safety.
(d) Her son's courage.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why couldn't Winter continue up the mountain?
2. How long would Rudi give himself to go up?
3. Who does Franz blame for Rudi's disappearance?
4. What must always come first in any situation?
5. Why hadn't Rudi turned around when he knew he needed to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference between the two guides as illustrated in this chapter?
2. In what ways did Rudi's vanquishing of fear change his perspective?
3. What is Rudi's second major contribution to this hike, and how was it different from his attempted contribution before?
4. How did the stillness affect Rudi?
5. Why was Frau Matt not upset with Paul Tauglich?
6. In which way did Rudi earn his uncle's admiration?
7. What was the reason that Rudi couldn't come with Saxo and Winter to Broli?
8. How did Rudi motivate himself when he thought he couldn't manage it?
9. How would the group had been defeated if not for Rudi?
10. In what ways did the Englishman not look so good?
This section contains 1,136 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)