|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long would Rudi give himself to go up?
(a) Forty-five minutes.
(b) Three hours.
(c) Another hour.
(d) Another two hours.
2. How many times did Rudi turn and look back?
(b) He didn't look back.
(d) Three times.
3. What did Rudi compare Saxo to in his injury?
(a) A caged animal.
(b) A greenhorn.
(c) A fallen giant.
(d) A wounded beast.
4. What must always come first in any situation?
(a) The help of another climber.
(b) The responsibility of a porter to the guide.
(c) The injuries of a person in trouble.
(d) The maintenance of group responsibility.
5. What was the rumbling that Rudi heard?
(a) A rockslide below him.
(b) An avalanche to the side of him.
(d) A rockslide above him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What thought caused the specter to leave?
2. What approximate time was it when the group had moved past the Needle?
3. What motivated Rudi to go on?
4. Why did Rudi believe that Winter would make it?
5. For what was Frau Matt's prayer of thankfulness?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways did Rudi's vanquishing of fear change his perspective?
2. In which way did Rudi earn his uncle's admiration?
3. What kinds of things had changed since Rudi had nodded off?
4. How would the group had been defeated if not for Rudi?
5. In what ways did the Englishman not look so good?
6. What made Rudi's actions regarding Saxo's rescue all the more selfless?
7. How does Captain Winter shame the two guides into working together?
8. How did Rudi motivate himself when he thought he couldn't manage it?
9. What was the reason that Rudi couldn't come with Saxo and Winter to Broli?
10. How did Winter keep peace between the two rival guides?
This section contains 1,133 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)