|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What honor was bestowed upon Rudi?
(a) He was allowed to decide the route.
(b) The privilege of discussing the route with them.
(c) The lead position.
(d) He was allowed one full tent on his own.
2. What had awakened Rudi?
(a) A scream.
(b) The wailing wind.
(c) The dream.
(d) A sound.
3. Why was not going on worst for Rudi?
(a) He had insisted he go.
(b) His uncle was preventing him from going up.
(c) Winter would have wanted him to do it.
(d) He was both able and willing to do so.
4. What did Rudi see on the cliff above?
(a) A mountain goat.
(b) A chamois.
(c) An eagle.
(d) A seagull.
5. What had disappeared with Rudi's fear?
(a) The feeling of being alone.
(b) The need to run away.
(c) The terror.
(d) The specter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why couldn't Winter continue up the mountain?
2. Why did Saxo say he was climbing the Citadel?
3. What approximate time was it when the group had moved past the Needle?
4. Why didn't Rudi continue down the hillside?
5. How was Rudi encouraged when he thought it was impossible to go any further?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the reason that Rudi couldn't come with Saxo and Winter to Broli?
2. What is the difference between the two guides as illustrated in this chapter?
3. How would the group had been defeated if not for Rudi?
4. Why was Frau Matt not upset with Paul Tauglich?
5. How did Winter's rationalization make sense to Franz?
6. What is Rudi's second major contribution to this hike, and how was it different from his attempted contribution before?
7. How does Captain Winter shame the two guides into working together?
8. What happened, and how did it strand Rudi?
9. How did the stillness affect Rudi?
10. Why was Rudi so tired?
This section contains 1,175 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)