|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why wouldn't Franz continue to the top of the mountain, despite Winter insisting he do so?
(a) A guide of Kurtal does not leave his Herr on the mountain.
(b) Rudi had gotten hurt climbing through the Needle.
(c) Rudi wasn't fit to travel.
(d) Winter insisted he stay.
2. Where did the guides think that Rudi was?
(a) Up on the Citadel.
(b) Eaten by demons.
(c) In a crevasse.
(d) Back in Kurtal.
3. Where had Winter been hurt?
(a) His hand.
(b) His arm.
(c) His head.
(d) His leg.
4. For what was Frau Matt's prayer of thankfulness?
(a) Her son's courage.
(b) Her son's safety.
(c) Her brother's mountaineering spirit.
(d) Her brother's strong will.
5. What did Rudi compare Saxo to in his injury?
(a) A caged animal.
(b) A fallen giant.
(c) A wounded beast.
(d) A greenhorn.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Rudi's heart pounding?
2. What had unnerved Rudi?
3. What does Winter tell Rudi to do that scares him?
4. What made Franz angry?
5. How does Winter explain that they should approach the mountain as a group?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Rudi so tired?
2. Why doesn't Saxo want to climb with Franz?
3. Before Franz hears from Winter in regards to Rudi's climbing ability, how does he feel?
4. What kinds of things had changed since Rudi had nodded off?
5. How would the group had been defeated if not for Rudi?
6. How did Winter's rationalization make sense to Franz?
7. Why didn't Rudi turn around when he knew he had to go back or be caught in darkness?
8. How did Rudi motivate himself when he thought he couldn't manage it?
9. What can the chapter title refer to if it is used as a metaphor?
10. In which way did Rudi earn his uncle's admiration?
This section contains 1,172 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)