|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Franz see that caused him to pause?
(a) Rudi's boots.
(b) Rudi's knapsack.
(c) Blood in the snow.
(d) Rudi's father's red sweater.
2. Why are Saxo and Winter headed back to Broli?
(a) To make a call to his wife.
(b) To get supplies.
(c) To finish writing his will.
(d) To get a tent.
3. What made Rudi happy?
(a) There was a straight forward route past the Fortress and beyond.
(b) All of these.
(c) He was higher than any person had ever been before on the Citadel.
(d) He had proved his father was right.
4. How did Rudi know which route to follow?
(a) They had marked out their route before.
(b) The marks of their boot nails were still visible.
(c) He didn't follow their original route, but his own.
(d) He had memorized his footing.
5. What dismayed Rudi?
(a) He thought Saxo had already reached the summit.
(b) He knew the others would be up and knew what he was doing.
(c) He could only move at such a pace and not beyond it.
(d) Time and space had lost meaning.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Rudi believe that Winter would make it?
2. What does Winter tell Rudi to do that scares him?
3. Who stands up for Rudi and prevents Franz from taking him down the mountain?
4. Where did the guides think that Rudi was?
5. What did Rudi compare Saxo to in his injury?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Saxo want to climb with Franz?
2. In what ways did Rudi's vanquishing of fear change his perspective?
3. How did Saxo treat pursuit of the summit originally? How did this change following his injury?
4. How does Captain Winter shame the two guides into working together?
5. What was the reason that Rudi couldn't come with Saxo and Winter to Broli?
6. What can the chapter title refer to if it is used as a metaphor?
7. What kinds of things had changed since Rudi had nodded off?
8. How did Winter's rationalization make sense to Franz?
9. How did the stillness affect Rudi?
10. What is Rudi's second major contribution to this hike, and how was it different from his attempted contribution before?
This section contains 1,194 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)