|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What honor was bestowed upon Rudi?
(a) He was allowed one full tent on his own.
(b) The lead position.
(c) The privilege of discussing the route with them.
(d) He was allowed to decide the route.
2. Why did Saxo become sullen?
(a) Rudi was leading instead of him.
(b) Winter trusted Franz over Saxo.
(c) Winter trusted Rudi over Saxo.
(d) Winter used Rudi's route instead of his.
3. Who was the first person to speak once the impact of what Rudi had said sunk in?
(a) Captain Winter.
4. How did Rudi's uncle respond to him threading the needle?
(a) He told him he would never again use another porter.
(b) He was full of praise for him.
(c) He held him tight.
(d) He was aloof.
5. What did Rudi still have in his hands?
(a) Balls of snow.
(b) His crampons.
(c) The ax.
(d) The rope.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had changed in Winter's appearance?
2. Why was Rudi frustrated and shamed when he came to the crack?
3. Why did Saxo think that Josef and Stephenson couldn't find the way up the eastern face?
4. What wasn't on the menu of the climbers?
5. Where did the guides think that Rudi was?
Short Essay Questions
1. What made Rudi's actions regarding Saxo's rescue all the more selfless?
2. In which way did Rudi earn his uncle's admiration?
3. What happened, and how did it strand Rudi?
4. How did Saxo treat pursuit of the summit originally? How did this change following his injury?
5. How did the stillness affect Rudi?
6. How did Winter's rationalization make sense to Franz?
7. How did Winter keep peace between the two rival guides?
8. How did Rudi motivate himself when he thought he couldn't manage it?
9. Why was Rudi so tired?
10. In what ways did Rudi's vanquishing of fear change his perspective?
This section contains 1,167 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)