|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Rudi's mountaineer instinct come into play?
(a) He anchored himself and refused to let the avalanche take him.
(b) He put his arm over his face giving himself breathing room.
(c) He maintained his hold on the rope that was lashed to the other two climbers.
(d) He swam through the snow.
2. What thought caused the specter to leave?
(a) That the only ghost would be that of his father.
(b) That he was Josef Matt's son.
(c) That ghosts aren't real.
(d) That it wanted to cause him no harm.
3. What made Franz angry?
(a) The fact that Rudi had continued on without letting him know.
(b) The thought of Saxo.
(c) That Rudi had abandoned Winter and Franz.
(d) That Saxo had abandoned his Herr.
4. Why does Rudi think he can make it through the eye of the needle?
(a) He is smaller.
(b) He found the way past the Fortress.
(c) He had become a good climber.
(d) He had the faith of the group on his shoulders.
5. Where did Rudi keep near when he had approached the area in which the avalanche had occurred the day before?
(a) The rock wall.
(b) The center or the slide area.
(c) The left hand side.
(d) The right hand side.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Winter explain that they should approach the mountain as a group?
2. How many men were to remain behind?
3. What motivated Rudi to go on?
4. What did Rudi still have in his hands?
5. What dismayed Rudi?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Rudi's second major contribution to this hike, and how was it different from his attempted contribution before?
2. What kinds of things had changed since Rudi had nodded off?
3. What is the difference between the two guides as illustrated in this chapter?
4. Before Franz hears from Winter in regards to Rudi's climbing ability, how does he feel?
5. In what ways did the Englishman not look so good?
6. How does Captain Winter shame the two guides into working together?
7. Why was Rudi so tired?
8. Why doesn't Saxo want to climb with Franz?
9. What happened, and how did it strand Rudi?
10. How did Winter's rationalization make sense to Franz?
This section contains 1,210 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)