|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What dismayed Rudi?
(a) He knew the others would be up and knew what he was doing.
(b) He thought Saxo had already reached the summit.
(c) Time and space had lost meaning.
(d) He could only move at such a pace and not beyond it.
2. Why are Saxo and Winter headed back to Broli?
(a) To get supplies.
(b) To finish writing his will.
(c) To make a call to his wife.
(d) To get a tent.
3. What had changed in Winter's appearance?
(a) His cheeks had regained their color.
(b) His cheeks were less sunken.
(c) His eyes had become brighter.
(d) His eyes appeared less tired.
4. Why did Saxo think that Josef and Stephenson couldn't find the way up the eastern face?
(a) The Kurtal guide wasn't as skilled as a guide from Broli.
(b) The weather might not have been as good.
(c) Stephenson was injured, and therefore they had to find a route to suit him.
(d) They didn't look hard enough, or perhaps not have the skill.
5. What motivated Rudi to go on?
(a) He knew that he must help Saxo.
(b) Franz was on his way to the top.
(c) The fact that he had to.
(d) He was his fathers' son.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Franz blame for Rudi's disappearance?
2. How many men were to remain behind?
3. Why did Frau Matt consider herself in the wrong?
4. How long would Rudi give himself to go up?
5. How does Winter explain that they should approach the mountain as a group?
Short Essay Questions
1. How would the group had been defeated if not for Rudi?
2. How did Winter keep peace between the two rival guides?
3. What was the reason that Rudi couldn't come with Saxo and Winter to Broli?
4. How does Captain Winter shame the two guides into working together?
5. How did Winter's rationalization make sense to Franz?
6. How did Rudi motivate himself when he thought he couldn't manage it?
7. What kinds of things had changed since Rudi had nodded off?
8. What made Rudi's actions regarding Saxo's rescue all the more selfless?
9. How did Saxo treat pursuit of the summit originally? How did this change following his injury?
10. How did the stillness affect Rudi?
This section contains 1,234 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)