|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Rudi's uncle respond to him threading the needle?
(a) He told him he would never again use another porter.
(b) He was full of praise for him.
(c) He held him tight.
(d) He was aloof.
2. What motivated Rudi to go on?
(a) He knew that he must help Saxo.
(b) Franz was on his way to the top.
(c) The fact that he had to.
(d) He was his fathers' son.
3. Why couldn't Winter continue up the mountain?
(a) He was struck with paroxysms of coughing.
(b) His feet hurt.
(c) He was too tired.
(d) He had fallen and was in pain.
4. For what was Frau Matt's prayer of thankfulness?
(a) Her brother's mountaineering spirit.
(b) Her son's safety.
(c) Her brother's strong will.
(d) Her son's courage.
5. Why did Saxo say he was climbing the Citadel?
(a) For Winter.
(b) For the glory of himself and Broli.
(c) For all the climbers that had perished before him.
(d) For his wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Saxo think that Josef and Stephenson couldn't find the way up the eastern face?
2. How did Rudi know which route to follow?
3. What dismayed Rudi?
4. Why hadn't Rudi turned around when he knew he needed to?
5. Why did Saxo become sullen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Before Franz hears from Winter in regards to Rudi's climbing ability, how does he feel?
2. How would the group had been defeated if not for Rudi?
3. How did the stillness affect Rudi?
4. In what ways did Rudi's vanquishing of fear change his perspective?
5. What can the chapter title refer to if it is used as a metaphor?
6. Why was Frau Matt not upset with Paul Tauglich?
7. How did Saxo treat pursuit of the summit originally? How did this change following his injury?
8. Why didn't Rudi turn around when he knew he had to go back or be caught in darkness?
9. How did Winter's rationalization make sense to Franz?
10. What is Rudi's second major contribution to this hike, and how was it different from his attempted contribution before?
This section contains 1,270 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)