|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What warmed Rudi more than either tent or blanket?
(a) The group trusted Rudi.
(b) The fact that he had gotten lead.
(c) His uncle's presence.
(d) Rudi was actually on the mountain he'd dreamed of as a kid.
2. What did Rudi compare Saxo to in his injury?
(a) A fallen giant.
(b) A wounded beast.
(c) A caged animal.
(d) A greenhorn.
3. Why hadn't Rudi turned around when he knew he needed to?
(a) The magic of the mountain drew him on.
(b) He wasn't looking forward to his uncles' wrath.
(c) He didn't want to tell Winter why he hadn't gone down to Kurtal.
(d) He didn't want to explain to Klaus why he'd turned around.
4. What had changed in Winter's appearance?
(a) His eyes appeared less tired.
(b) His cheeks were less sunken.
(c) His cheeks had regained their color.
(d) His eyes had become brighter.
5. Why did Saxo become sullen?
(a) Winter trusted Rudi over Saxo.
(b) Rudi was leading instead of him.
(c) Winter trusted Franz over Saxo.
(d) Winter used Rudi's route instead of his.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the guides think that Rudi was?
2. What had unnerved Rudi?
3. Although Winter wasn't in as good of health, what did Rudi see was untempered?
4. What was the rumbling that Rudi heard?
5. Who stands up for Rudi and prevents Franz from taking him down the mountain?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Winter keep peace between the two rival guides?
2. How does Captain Winter shame the two guides into working together?
3. What kinds of things had changed since Rudi had nodded off?
4. How did the stillness affect Rudi?
5. In which way did Rudi earn his uncle's admiration?
6. How did Rudi motivate himself when he thought he couldn't manage it?
7. What can the chapter title refer to if it is used as a metaphor?
8. Why was Rudi so tired?
9. Why doesn't Saxo want to climb with Franz?
10. Why didn't Rudi turn around when he knew he had to go back or be caught in darkness?
This section contains 1,115 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)