|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long would Rudi give himself to go up?
(a) Three hours.
(b) Another hour.
(c) Forty-five minutes.
(d) Another two hours.
2. Why didn't Rudi continue down the hillside?
(a) He thought that his mother would be too worried.
(b) He knew Franz would be wroth if he didn't.
(c) He kept slipping on the snow-covered rocks.
(d) He wanted to climb the peak in the morning.
3. How many men were to remain behind?
4. Why didn't Rudi cry out?
(a) He felt that he would look wimpy to Saxo and Winter if he were to call out.
(b) He worried that his voice could trigger a fresh avalanche.
(c) He knew his strongest effort on the surface would be little more than a whisper.
(d) He didn't think the other two people in his party would be alive to hear him.
5. Why wouldn't Franz continue to the top of the mountain, despite Winter insisting he do so?
(a) Rudi wasn't fit to travel.
(b) A guide of Kurtal does not leave his Herr on the mountain.
(c) Winter insisted he stay.
(d) Rudi had gotten hurt climbing through the Needle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What warmed Rudi more than either tent or blanket?
2. What had disappeared with Rudi's fear?
3. Although Winter wasn't in as good of health, what did Rudi see was untempered?
4. Who stands up for Rudi and prevents Franz from taking him down the mountain?
5. Why did Rudi believe that Winter would make it?
Short Essay Questions
1. What made Rudi's actions regarding Saxo's rescue all the more selfless?
2. How does Captain Winter shame the two guides into working together?
3. Before Franz hears from Winter in regards to Rudi's climbing ability, how does he feel?
4. In what ways did the Englishman not look so good?
5. How did the stillness affect Rudi?
6. How would the group had been defeated if not for Rudi?
7. How did Rudi motivate himself when he thought he couldn't manage it?
8. What is the difference between the two guides as illustrated in this chapter?
9. In which way did Rudi earn his uncle's admiration?
10. What happened, and how did it strand Rudi?
This section contains 1,184 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)