|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What made Rudi happy?
(a) All of these.
(b) He was higher than any person had ever been before on the Citadel.
(c) He had proved his father was right.
(d) There was a straight forward route past the Fortress and beyond.
2. When did Rudi finally allow himself to collapse?
(a) When he had summoned Franz and Winter.
(b) When he had gotten Saxo to the bottom of the mountain.
(c) When he had gotten Saxo to the tents.
(d) When he had gotten Saxo to the Fortress.
3. How was Rudi encouraged when he thought it was impossible to go any further?
(a) It had been clearly mapped out.
(b) It had been done before by his father.
(c) Saxo's mean words and the fact that he thought Kurtalers wouldn't climb.
(d) Winter's wise words, and his support of Rudi's climbing.
4. How long did it take Rudi to reach the top of the bergschrund?
(a) A half hour.
(b) Forty minutes.
(c) An hour.
(d) Two hours.
5. Why are Saxo and Winter headed back to Broli?
(a) To finish writing his will.
(b) To get supplies.
(c) To make a call to his wife.
(d) To get a tent.
Short Answer Questions
1. What dismayed Rudi?
2. What had unnerved Rudi?
3. What approximate time was it when the group had moved past the Needle?
4. Who stands up for Rudi and prevents Franz from taking him down the mountain?
5. How did Rudi's uncle respond to him threading the needle?
Short Essay Questions
1. Before Franz hears from Winter in regards to Rudi's climbing ability, how does he feel?
2. Why doesn't Saxo want to climb with Franz?
3. What kinds of things had changed since Rudi had nodded off?
4. In what ways did the Englishman not look so good?
5. How did Saxo treat pursuit of the summit originally? How did this change following his injury?
6. Why was Rudi so tired?
7. In which way did Rudi earn his uncle's admiration?
8. What was the reason that Rudi couldn't come with Saxo and Winter to Broli?
9. What is Rudi's second major contribution to this hike, and how was it different from his attempted contribution before?
10. What made Rudi's actions regarding Saxo's rescue all the more selfless?
This section contains 1,199 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)