|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the favorite resort of the guides of Kurtal?
(a) The Edelweiss pub.
(b) The Edenweiss pub.
(c) The Edellweiss pub.
(d) The Edweiss pub.
2. What do the guides believe will destroy the Englishman and the guide from Broli?
(a) The demons of the Citadel.
(b) Their audacity.
(c) The ghosts of Rudi's father and his Herr.
(d) The treacherous climb.
3. Why does Winter volunteer to go after Rudi?
(a) He had given Rudi the gear.
(b) He encouraged Franz to let him go.
(c) He is lighter.
(d) He is more able.
4. What was the difference in climbing the snow slope and climbing the ice?
(a) The snow slope was less dangerous.
(b) The snow slope was more treacherous.
(c) There was no sound on the snow slope.
(d) The snow slope was colder.
5. Where did Teo tell Franz that Rudi was?
(a) At the market.
(b) Out getting more soap.
(c) Up the mountain.
(d) Helping in another area of the Hotel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What often happens in the high mountains?
2. What did Captain Winter remind Rudi of when he was climbing?
3. Who saw the three climb up the icefall?
4. Why did Rudi venture out in another direction?
5. How far beneath the Hut was the town of Kurtal?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Franz do to discourage climbing of the Citadel to Mr. Winter?
2. Who was Mr. Winter?
3. Why didn't Josef Matt climb down the mountain with Teo?
4. In what ways was Rudi's build different from that of most boys of the village?
5. What was different between the upper and lower glaciers?
6. What things do Franz and Rudi's mother say to try and show the boy the sense in a career in a hotel?
7. What did Rudi vow to do every time Franz came back, and why didn't he do it?
8. How was the alternating of the lead role the greatest compliment a guide could give his employer?
9. How did Teo act as an experienced climber?
10. What did the man in the cabin look like?
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)