|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What had Rudi's tormentor seen?
(a) The praise Winter lavished on him.
(b) Rudi looking like a man.
(c) Rudi in all his glory setting out as a porter.
(d) Rudi achieving something.
2. What was the favorite resort of the guides of Kurtal?
(a) The Edweiss pub.
(b) The Edelweiss pub.
(c) The Edenweiss pub.
(d) The Edellweiss pub.
3. Why was Rudi struggling under his burdens?
(a) He was weak.
(b) He was carrying the heaviest load.
(c) It had gotten warmer.
(d) They were too heavy.
4. What does Captain Winter say that Rudi deserves?
(a) A chance.
(c) A reward.
(d) A porter's career.
5. Why doesn't Franz think that Rudi can be a porter?
(a) He is too small.
(b) He is accident prone.
(c) He is careless.
(d) He's too small and irresponsible.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Rudi know more of than any other guide in Kurtal?
2. Which ridge does Rudi think is the only passable one?
3. What was the greatest sin a mountaineer can commit?
4. What do the guides believe will destroy the Englishman and the guide from Broli?
5. What time were the guides of Kurtal set to mobilize?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Rudi a "prisoner"?
2. What did Franz do to discourage climbing of the Citadel to Mr. Winter?
3. Why does Teo refer to Rudi as the only real climber in all of Kurtal?
4. What was different between the upper and lower glaciers?
5. How did Teo act as an experienced climber?
6. What did the man in the cabin look like?
7. How could Captain Winter easily die if Franz lost his footing?
8. What things do Franz and Rudi's mother say to try and show the boy the sense in a career in a hotel?
9. How were Franz and Captain Winter different as climbers?
10. Why did Rudi have to keep to the shadows while playing hooky from work?
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)