|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Rudi know his father's shirt had to be of high quality?
(a) The crimson dye hadn't faded.
(b) The moths couldn't eat it.
(c) The dye color had faded.
(d) The cotton was still soft.
2. What do the guides believe will destroy the Englishman and the guide from Broli?
(a) The ghosts of Rudi's father and his Herr.
(b) Their audacity.
(c) The demons of the Citadel.
(d) The treacherous climb.
3. What was the proprietor of the moving shadow?
(a) A foraging dog.
(b) A tourist couple.
(c) A wolf.
(d) A homeless person.
4. How far beneath the Hut was the town of Kurtal?
(a) Five thousand feet.
(b) Four thousand feet.
(c) Three thousand feet.
(d) Six thousand feet.
5. For what reason did Rudi reclaim his stick?
(a) To use to climb the ice.
(b) To place the shirt upon the top of the mountain.
(c) To "persuade" Winter to let him go with them.
(d) To use for walking.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Winter volunteer to go after Rudi?
2. What did Teo say in regard to Rudi's climb with him?
3. What time is Rudi supposed to meet Teo?
4. What was the greatest sin a mountaineer can commit?
5. How does Franz comfort Frau Matt?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was different between the upper and lower glaciers?
2. What things do Franz and Rudi's mother say to try and show the boy the sense in a career in a hotel?
3. What information did Franz share with Ilse that was of particular interest to Rudi, and why was it so?
4. Why does Teo refer to Rudi as the only real climber in all of Kurtal?
5. Why did Rudi have to keep to the shadows while playing hooky from work?
6. Why was the Edelweiss a favorite location of the guides and their porters in Kurtal?
7. What was it that Winter said that left Rudi spellbound?
8. How did Rudi save Mr. Winter?
9. What things made Rudi feel like a "man among men"?
10. What did the man in the cabin look like?
This section contains 1,078 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)