|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the greatest sin a mountaineer can commit?
(b) Making others risk their lives to save his.
(c) Scouting ahead without telling anyone where he was going.
(d) Making the employer risk his life to save his.
2. What reward does Winter suggest that Rudi should get from them?
(a) They should let him be a porter.
(b) He should not be punished.
(c) They should let him come as porter on the Wunderhorn.
(d) They shouldn't be angry with him.
3. Which ridge does Rudi think is the only passable one?
(a) The northeast ridge.
(b) The north face.
(c) The southeast ridge.
(d) The east face.
4. What spanned the crevasse at the center?
(a) A snow bridge.
(b) A timber bridge.
(c) A rope bridge.
(d) An ice bridge.
5. What would Rudi have been glad to do?
(a) Show Emil what Josef Matt's son was capable of.
(b) Tell his uncle he climbed the Citadel.
(c) Take the lead.
(d) Climb the Citadel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Teo say in regard to Rudi's climb with him?
2. How far beneath the Hut was the town of Kurtal?
3. What did the other boys of the village call Rudi?
4. Who would substitute for Rudi at the hotel?
5. What was the difference in climbing the snow slope and climbing the ice?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why didn't Josef Matt climb down the mountain with Teo?
2. What things do Franz and Rudi's mother say to try and show the boy the sense in a career in a hotel?
3. Why was Franz looking at Rudi as though he had never seen him before?
4. Why was it dangerous to travel up the slope in the sun?
5. How could Captain Winter easily die if Franz lost his footing?
6. What did Rudi vow to do every time Franz came back, and why didn't he do it?
7. In what ways was Rudi's build different from that of most boys of the village?
8. How did Teo act as an experienced climber?
9. Why is it unimportant that Rudi made the climb on his own?
10. Why did the people of Kurtal fear the Citadel?
This section contains 1,045 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)