|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the Citadel make all the other mountains around it look like?
(b) Baby hills.
(c) Practice mountains.
2. Who did Rudi suspect was the shadowy figure?
(b) Captain Winter.
(c) His mother.
(d) Josef Matt.
3. Why didn't Rudi's mother cry and cling to him?
(a) She wanted to treat him like a man, not as a boy.
(b) She didn't want to embarrass him.
(c) She wouldn't display that kind of emotion.
(d) It is what she had done with his father, and he had never come home.
4. How did Rudi move?
(a) Like a sleepwalker.
(b) As though his heart were gone from him.
(c) Like an invalid.
(d) Like a ghost.
5. What had changed in Rudi's lifetime?
(a) Rudi had promised he would never climb the Citadel.
(b) The Citadel had been climbed.
(c) Rudi's father had died.
(d) The village had become a tourist attraction.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the highest honor a man could obtain?
2. How old was Rudi's mother when Josef died?
3. What guide does Mr. Winter hope to hire from Broli?
4. What does Teo say abut Rudi?
5. What was Teo's last hike?
Short Essay Questions
1. What can the chapter title refer to if it is used as a metaphor?
2. How were Franz and Captain Winter different as climbers?
3. How could Captain Winter easily die if Franz lost his footing?
4. How was the hut on the Citadel different from the other huts?
5. What information did Franz share with Ilse that was of particular interest to Rudi, and why was it so?
6. Why was Rudi concerned about his boots?
7. What did Rudi vow to do every time Franz came back, and why didn't he do it?
8. How did Winter's rationalization make sense to Franz?
9. Before Franz hears from Winter in regards to Rudi's climbing ability, how does he feel?
10. Why was Frau Matt not upset with Paul Tauglich?
This section contains 1,145 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)