|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Captain Winter remind Rudi of when he was climbing?
(a) A jousting warrior.
(b) A man struggling with inanimate rock.
(c) A cat.
(d) A mountain lion.
2. What didn't Captain Winter buy for Rudi?
(c) An ice ax.
(d) A knapsack.
3. What often happens in the high mountains?
(a) Dawn brings warmth.
(b) Dawn doesn't bring warmth but increased cold.
(c) The ice starts to melt at dawn.
(d) The ice becomes more treacherous at dawn.
4. How old was Rudi's mother when Josef died?
5. In what year does this story take place?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was the voice coming from?
2. Why didn't Saxo want Rudi coming along?
3. How much did Rudi's pack weigh?
4. What had Rudi never received before?
5. How does Franz comfort Frau Matt?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Rudi's fear when he had heard the voice?
2. Why was Franz looking at Rudi as though he had never seen him before?
3. What did Rudi vow to do every time Franz came back, and why didn't he do it?
4. What things made Rudi feel like a "man among men"?
5. Who was Mr. Winter?
6. What information did Franz share with Ilse that was of particular interest to Rudi, and why was it so?
7. What does Teo mean when he says "you cannot bottle the wind"?
8. Why was it dangerous to travel up the slope in the sun?
9. Why does Teo refer to Rudi as the only real climber in all of Kurtal?
10. How was Rudi a "prisoner"?
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)