|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Rudi strike a second match for?
(a) To see the path.
(b) To see his father's name.
(c) To see if Franz was still sleeping.
(d) To write his mother a note.
2. What reward does Winter suggest that Rudi should get from them?
(a) They should let him be a porter.
(b) He should not be punished.
(c) They should let him come as porter on the Wunderhorn.
(d) They shouldn't be angry with him.
3. How long had the Citadel been left alone?
(a) Fourteen years.
(b) Eighteen years.
(c) Twenty years.
(d) Fifteen years.
4. How many days did it take the rescue party to make it to Josef Matt?
(a) Two days.
(b) One full day.
(c) Three days.
(d) Twelve hours.
5. Why didn't Rudi get his staff?
(a) He didn't want to heft his "childs' toy" in front of the men.
(b) He didn't want to slow the men down.
(c) He had no need of it, having gotten an ice ax.
(d) He didn't want anyone seeing where he had hidden it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Rudi's mother known for?
2. What mountain was used as a "practice mountain" by guides and visiting climbers?
3. Where did Teo tell Franz that Rudi was?
4. What does Teo say abut Rudi?
5. What had there never been in Kurtal?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Franz looking at Rudi as though he had never seen him before?
2. Why doesn't Saxo want to climb with Franz?
3. How did Saxo treat pursuit of the summit originally? How did this change following his injury?
4. In what ways was Rudi's build different from that of most boys of the village?
5. Why didn't Rudi turn around when he knew he had to go back or be caught in darkness?
6. Why was the Edelweiss a favorite location of the guides and their porters in Kurtal?
7. How could Captain Winter easily die if Franz lost his footing?
8. How does Captain Winter shame the two guides into working together?
9. Before Franz hears from Winter in regards to Rudi's climbing ability, how does he feel?
10. How would the group had been defeated if not for Rudi?
This section contains 1,124 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)