|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Captain Winter say that Rudi deserves?
(a) A chance.
(c) A reward.
(d) A porter's career.
2. What had Rudi never received before?
(a) A written note.
(b) Such fine gifts.
(c) A letter.
(d) Such praise from a man of Winter's capabilities.
3. What spanned the crevasse at the center?
(a) A rope bridge.
(b) A snow bridge.
(c) An ice bridge.
(d) A timber bridge.
4. How much did Winter offer Franz to climb the Citadel with him?
(a) Whatever amount he wanted.
(b) Twice the usual rate.
(c) Three times the usual rate.
(d) One and a half times the usual rate.
5. What were tourists called?
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Rudi's mother when Josef died?
2. Until what time did Rudi wait in bed?
3. What is the name of the barmaid?
4. What do the guides believe will destroy the Englishman and the guide from Broli?
5. What would Rudi have been glad to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was the Edelweiss a favorite location of the guides and their porters in Kurtal?
2. Why does Teo raising his glass to Saxo anger all in the tavern?
3. What was it that Winter said that left Rudi spellbound?
4. How was Rudi a "prisoner"?
5. What information did Franz share with Ilse that was of particular interest to Rudi, and why was it so?
6. Why do the people of the village think that Winter is crazy?
7. What did Franz do to discourage climbing of the Citadel to Mr. Winter?
8. Why does Teo refer to Rudi as the only real climber in all of Kurtal?
9. Why was it dangerous to travel up the slope in the sun?
10. What was Rudi's fear when he had heard the voice?
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)