|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What dismayed Rudi?
(a) Time and space had lost meaning.
(b) He could only move at such a pace and not beyond it.
(c) He thought Saxo had already reached the summit.
(d) He knew the others would be up and knew what he was doing.
2. Under how many feet of snow was Winter buried?
3. Who stands up for Rudi and prevents Franz from taking him down the mountain?
(a) Klaus Wesselhoft.
(d) Captain Winter.
4. How many men were to remain behind?
5. What warmed Rudi more than either tent or blanket?
(a) His uncle's presence.
(b) Rudi was actually on the mountain he'd dreamed of as a kid.
(c) The group trusted Rudi.
(d) The fact that he had gotten lead.
6. What approximate time was it when the group had moved past the Needle?
(b) Early afternoon.
(c) Early evening.
(d) Late evening.
7. Who was the first person to speak once the impact of what Rudi had said sunk in?
(b) Captain Winter.
8. Who was it that brought Rudi's belongings further?
9. Although Winter wasn't in as good of health, what did Rudi see was untempered?
(a) His health.
(b) His strong will.
(c) His spirit.
(d) His ambition.
10. Why didn't Rudi continue down the hillside?
(a) He thought that his mother would be too worried.
(b) He knew Franz would be wroth if he didn't.
(c) He kept slipping on the snow-covered rocks.
(d) He wanted to climb the peak in the morning.
11. What motivated Rudi to go on?
(a) The fact that he had to.
(b) Franz was on his way to the top.
(c) He was his fathers' son.
(d) He knew that he must help Saxo.
12. What wasn't on the menu of the climbers?
(c) Dried meat.
13. Who does Franz blame for Rudi's disappearance?
(b) Captain Winter.
14. What did Rudi see on the cliff above?
(a) A chamois.
(b) A mountain goat.
(c) An eagle.
(d) A seagull.
15. What did Rudi still have in his hands?
(a) The ax.
(b) His crampons.
(c) Balls of snow.
(d) The rope.
Short Answer Questions
1. About how many feet were above Rudi?
2. Why did Rudi believe that Winter would make it?
3. What had changed in Winter's appearance?
4. How did Rudi's mountaineer instinct come into play?
5. What had changed about the night?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)