|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Franz blame for Rudi's disappearance?
(b) Captain Winter.
2. Why hadn't Rudi turned around when he knew he needed to?
(a) He wasn't looking forward to his uncles' wrath.
(b) The magic of the mountain drew him on.
(c) He didn't want to tell Winter why he hadn't gone down to Kurtal.
(d) He didn't want to explain to Klaus why he'd turned around.
3. How did Rudi's uncle respond to him threading the needle?
(a) He was full of praise for him.
(b) He was aloof.
(c) He told him he would never again use another porter.
(d) He held him tight.
4. Although Winter wasn't in as good of health, what did Rudi see was untempered?
(a) His strong will.
(b) His health.
(c) His spirit.
(d) His ambition.
5. For what was Frau Matt's prayer of thankfulness?
(a) Her son's courage.
(b) Her brother's strong will.
(c) Her son's safety.
(d) Her brother's mountaineering spirit.
6. Why wouldn't Franz continue to the top of the mountain, despite Winter insisting he do so?
(a) Rudi had gotten hurt climbing through the Needle.
(b) Winter insisted he stay.
(c) Rudi wasn't fit to travel.
(d) A guide of Kurtal does not leave his Herr on the mountain.
7. Who convinces Franz to climb the Citadel?
(c) Captain Winter.
(d) The other guides of Kurtal.
8. Who was the first person to speak once the impact of what Rudi had said sunk in?
(c) Captain Winter.
9. About how many feet were above Rudi?
(a) Almost twenty two hundred.
(b) Almost one thousand.
(c) Almost two thousand.
(d) Almost three thousand.
10. What had disappeared with Rudi's fear?
(a) The feeling of being alone.
(b) The need to run away.
(c) The specter.
(d) The terror.
11. What made Rudi not want to go back to Kurtal?
(a) The dirty dishes at the Beau Site Hotel.
(b) The mocking laughter of Klaus Weisselhoft.
(c) His uncles' anger and his mother's tears.
(d) All of these.
12. Who stands up for Rudi and prevents Franz from taking him down the mountain?
(a) Captain Winter.
(d) Klaus Wesselhoft.
13. What did Franz see that caused him to pause?
(a) Rudi's father's red sweater.
(b) Rudi's knapsack.
(c) Rudi's boots.
(d) Blood in the snow.
14. Why did Frau Matt consider herself in the wrong?
(a) For worrying about Rudi when truly he is a capable climber.
(b) She had kept Rudi from pursuing his dreams all this time.
(c) For pushing the townsfolk to lie to cover up Rudi's whereabouts.
(d) She had reacted without thinking of her son's wishes.
15. How long did it take Rudi to reach the top of the bergschrund?
(a) Forty minutes.
(b) Two hours.
(c) A half hour.
(d) An hour.
Short Answer Questions
1. What thought caused the specter to leave?
2. What had unnerved Rudi?
3. What resolve deepened in Rudi?
4. Why was Rudi's heart pounding?
5. Why did Saxo say he was climbing the Citadel?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)