|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What made Rudi not want to go back to Kurtal?
(a) All of these.
(b) The dirty dishes at the Beau Site Hotel.
(c) His uncles' anger and his mother's tears.
(d) The mocking laughter of Klaus Weisselhoft.
2. Where did Rudi keep near when he had approached the area in which the avalanche had occurred the day before?
(a) The right hand side.
(b) The rock wall.
(c) The center or the slide area.
(d) The left hand side.
3. How many men were to remain behind?
4. Why wouldn't Franz continue to the top of the mountain, despite Winter insisting he do so?
(a) Rudi had gotten hurt climbing through the Needle.
(b) Rudi wasn't fit to travel.
(c) A guide of Kurtal does not leave his Herr on the mountain.
(d) Winter insisted he stay.
5. Why did Rudi believe that Winter would make it?
(a) Winter was the epitome of a decent man.
(b) Winter had united two warring provincial towns.
(c) He of them all deserved the most to make it.
(d) It had been Winter's dream to climb the Citadel before all of them.
6. What did Rudi compare Saxo to in his injury?
(a) A greenhorn.
(b) A caged animal.
(c) A wounded beast.
(d) A fallen giant.
7. Why does Saxo think that so many people have come to the hut?
(a) To create a situation in which no one goes up the mountain.
(b) To hurt them so they can't go up the mountain.
(c) To keep them from climbing the mountain.
(d) To plot against them.
8. Where did Rudi realize he was?
(a) In the same cave in which his father and Sir Stephenson had died.
(b) On the Citadel's Fortress.
(c) Far away from home.
(d) Too far away from the ground.
9. Although Winter wasn't in as good of health, what did Rudi see was untempered?
(a) His ambition.
(b) His health.
(c) His strong will.
(d) His spirit.
10. What did Rudi see on the cliff above?
(a) A mountain goat.
(b) A seagull.
(c) A chamois.
(d) An eagle.
11. Where did the guides think that Rudi was?
(a) Eaten by demons.
(b) Back in Kurtal.
(c) In a crevasse.
(d) Up on the Citadel.
12. What wasn't on the menu of the climbers?
(d) Dried meat.
13. How did Rudi know which route to follow?
(a) They had marked out their route before.
(b) He had memorized his footing.
(c) The marks of their boot nails were still visible.
(d) He didn't follow their original route, but his own.
14. How did Rudi's mountaineer instinct come into play?
(a) He put his arm over his face giving himself breathing room.
(b) He anchored himself and refused to let the avalanche take him.
(c) He maintained his hold on the rope that was lashed to the other two climbers.
(d) He swam through the snow.
15. How many times did Rudi turn and look back?
(a) He didn't look back.
(c) Three times.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of Rudi's body got stuck?
2. How did Rudi's uncle respond to him threading the needle?
3. What dismayed Rudi?
4. What does Winter tell Rudi to do that scares him?
5. Who convinces Franz to climb the Citadel?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)