|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What dismayed Rudi?
(a) Time and space had lost meaning.
(b) He could only move at such a pace and not beyond it.
(c) He knew the others would be up and knew what he was doing.
(d) He thought Saxo had already reached the summit.
2. What does Winter tell Rudi to do that scares him?
(a) That they are climbing the Citadel today.
(b) That Winter might not go on the hike at all due to his condition.
(c) Go down to Kurtal and convince his uncle to come up.
(d) That they have twenty-four hours to get up and down the mountain.
3. What was the first "key" to the mountain?
(a) The peak.
(b) The Fortress.
(c) The shoulder.
(d) The crossing of the snow bridge.
4. Why didn't Rudi cry out?
(a) He felt that he would look wimpy to Saxo and Winter if he were to call out.
(b) He worried that his voice could trigger a fresh avalanche.
(c) He didn't think the other two people in his party would be alive to hear him.
(d) He knew his strongest effort on the surface would be little more than a whisper.
5. Why was not going on worst for Rudi?
(a) His uncle was preventing him from going up.
(b) He was both able and willing to do so.
(c) He had insisted he go.
(d) Winter would have wanted him to do it.
6. What did Rudi see on the cliff above?
(a) A seagull.
(b) A chamois.
(c) An eagle.
(d) A mountain goat.
7. What honor was bestowed upon Rudi?
(a) He was allowed to decide the route.
(b) He was allowed one full tent on his own.
(c) The lead position.
(d) The privilege of discussing the route with them.
8. Under how many feet of snow was Winter buried?
9. What made Franz angry?
(a) That Rudi had abandoned Winter and Franz.
(b) That Saxo had abandoned his Herr.
(c) The thought of Saxo.
(d) The fact that Rudi had continued on without letting him know.
10. Where did Rudi keep near when he had approached the area in which the avalanche had occurred the day before?
(a) The right hand side.
(b) The rock wall.
(c) The center or the slide area.
(d) The left hand side.
11. Who does Franz blame for Rudi's disappearance?
(b) Captain Winter.
12. What had unnerved Rudi?
(a) The hight at which he stood.
(b) The stillness of the mountain and all that surrounded him.
(c) The fact that he was higher than anyone had been since his father had stood there.
(d) He saw his father's ghost.
13. Although Winter wasn't in as good of health, what did Rudi see was untempered?
(a) His strong will.
(b) His ambition.
(c) His health.
(d) His spirit.
14. Why did Saxo become sullen?
(a) Winter used Rudi's route instead of his.
(b) Winter trusted Rudi over Saxo.
(c) Winter trusted Franz over Saxo.
(d) Rudi was leading instead of him.
15. Why are Saxo and Winter headed back to Broli?
(a) To get supplies.
(b) To make a call to his wife.
(c) To finish writing his will.
(d) To get a tent.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why wouldn't Franz continue to the top of the mountain, despite Winter insisting he do so?
2. What approximate time was it when the group had moved past the Needle?
3. Why was Rudi's heart pounding?
4. Who stands up for Rudi and prevents Franz from taking him down the mountain?
5. Where did Rudi realize he was?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)