|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why didn't Rudi cry out?
(a) He didn't think the other two people in his party would be alive to hear him.
(b) He worried that his voice could trigger a fresh avalanche.
(c) He knew his strongest effort on the surface would be little more than a whisper.
(d) He felt that he would look wimpy to Saxo and Winter if he were to call out.
2. Where did Rudi realize he was?
(a) In the same cave in which his father and Sir Stephenson had died.
(b) Too far away from the ground.
(c) On the Citadel's Fortress.
(d) Far away from home.
3. Why was Rudi's heart pounding?
(a) He had reached the Fortress.
(b) He had confronted the demons that were on the mountain.
(c) He had seen the cave in which his father had died.
(d) He had been exerting himself heavily.
4. Why did Saxo become sullen?
(a) Winter trusted Franz over Saxo.
(b) Winter used Rudi's route instead of his.
(c) Rudi was leading instead of him.
(d) Winter trusted Rudi over Saxo.
5. What motivated Rudi to go on?
(a) He knew that he must help Saxo.
(b) Franz was on his way to the top.
(c) The fact that he had to.
(d) He was his fathers' son.
6. What thought caused the specter to leave?
(a) That the only ghost would be that of his father.
(b) That ghosts aren't real.
(c) That it wanted to cause him no harm.
(d) That he was Josef Matt's son.
7. What had unnerved Rudi?
(a) The stillness of the mountain and all that surrounded him.
(b) The fact that he was higher than anyone had been since his father had stood there.
(c) The hight at which he stood.
(d) He saw his father's ghost.
8. How did Rudi's uncle respond to him threading the needle?
(a) He told him he would never again use another porter.
(b) He was full of praise for him.
(c) He held him tight.
(d) He was aloof.
9. What part of Rudi's body got stuck?
(a) His hips.
(b) His head.
(c) His arms.
(d) His shoulders.
10. Why are Saxo and Winter headed back to Broli?
(a) To get a tent.
(b) To get supplies.
(c) To make a call to his wife.
(d) To finish writing his will.
11. When did Rudi finally allow himself to collapse?
(a) When he had gotten Saxo to the tents.
(b) When he had gotten Saxo to the Fortress.
(c) When he had summoned Franz and Winter.
(d) When he had gotten Saxo to the bottom of the mountain.
12. Although Winter wasn't in as good of health, what did Rudi see was untempered?
(a) His strong will.
(b) His spirit.
(c) His health.
(d) His ambition.
13. What must always come first in any situation?
(a) The help of another climber.
(b) The responsibility of a porter to the guide.
(c) The injuries of a person in trouble.
(d) The maintenance of group responsibility.
14. What wasn't on the menu of the climbers?
(d) Dried meat.
15. How did Rudi's mountaineer instinct come into play?
(a) He anchored himself and refused to let the avalanche take him.
(b) He swam through the snow.
(c) He maintained his hold on the rope that was lashed to the other two climbers.
(d) He put his arm over his face giving himself breathing room.
Short Answer Questions
1. What made Franz angry?
2. What honor was bestowed upon Rudi?
3. What resolve deepened in Rudi?
4. Why did Saxo say he was climbing the Citadel?
5. Why wouldn't Franz continue to the top of the mountain, despite Winter insisting he do so?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)