|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What must always come first in any situation?
(a) The help of another climber.
(b) The injuries of a person in trouble.
(c) The maintenance of group responsibility.
(d) The responsibility of a porter to the guide.
2. What was the first "key" to the mountain?
(a) The peak.
(b) The Fortress.
(c) The crossing of the snow bridge.
(d) The shoulder.
3. What did Rudi compare Saxo to in his injury?
(a) A fallen giant.
(b) A caged animal.
(c) A wounded beast.
(d) A greenhorn.
4. What had changed about the night?
(a) It had gotten colder.
(b) It had gotten clearer.
(c) The stars had come out.
(d) It had gotten warmer.
5. How does Winter explain that they should approach the mountain as a group?
(a) As rivals, and compete for the prize that is the top of the mountain.
(b) As human beings, not people from different towns or nations.
(c) As friends, and bury the hatchet of hatred between the two villages.
(d) As equals, people that want to climb the Citadel together.
6. What motivated Rudi to go on?
(a) Franz was on his way to the top.
(b) The fact that he had to.
(c) He knew that he must help Saxo.
(d) He was his fathers' son.
7. What made Franz angry?
(a) That Saxo had abandoned his Herr.
(b) The thought of Saxo.
(c) The fact that Rudi had continued on without letting him know.
(d) That Rudi had abandoned Winter and Franz.
8. Although Winter wasn't in as good of health, what did Rudi see was untempered?
(a) His health.
(b) His strong will.
(c) His ambition.
(d) His spirit.
9. What did Franz see that caused him to pause?
(a) Rudi's boots.
(b) Rudi's father's red sweater.
(c) Rudi's knapsack.
(d) Blood in the snow.
10. How did Rudi know which route to follow?
(a) He had memorized his footing.
(b) He didn't follow their original route, but his own.
(c) They had marked out their route before.
(d) The marks of their boot nails were still visible.
11. Why did Saxo say he was climbing the Citadel?
(a) For all the climbers that had perished before him.
(b) For the glory of himself and Broli.
(c) For his wife.
(d) For Winter.
12. Where had Winter been hurt?
(a) His leg.
(b) His arm.
(c) His hand.
(d) His head.
13. Why did Saxo think that Josef and Stephenson couldn't find the way up the eastern face?
(a) Stephenson was injured, and therefore they had to find a route to suit him.
(b) They didn't look hard enough, or perhaps not have the skill.
(c) The weather might not have been as good.
(d) The Kurtal guide wasn't as skilled as a guide from Broli.
14. How long would Rudi give himself to go up?
(a) Another hour.
(b) Three hours.
(c) Another two hours.
(d) Forty-five minutes.
15. What thought caused the specter to leave?
(a) That ghosts aren't real.
(b) That it wanted to cause him no harm.
(c) That he was Josef Matt's son.
(d) That the only ghost would be that of his father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What made Rudi happy?
2. What was the rumbling that Rudi heard?
3. What part of Rudi's body got stuck?
4. What had changed in Winter's appearance?
5. Why does Rudi think he can make it through the eye of the needle?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)