|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What had unnerved Rudi?
(a) The fact that he was higher than anyone had been since his father had stood there.
(b) The stillness of the mountain and all that surrounded him.
(c) He saw his father's ghost.
(d) The hight at which he stood.
2. How was Rudi encouraged when he thought it was impossible to go any further?
(a) It had been clearly mapped out.
(b) Saxo's mean words and the fact that he thought Kurtalers wouldn't climb.
(c) Winter's wise words, and his support of Rudi's climbing.
(d) It had been done before by his father.
3. What resolve deepened in Rudi?
(a) To never slip.
(b) To make his father proud.
(c) To be loyal to the Herr.
(d) Not to fail them or betray their trust.
4. How long did it take Rudi to reach the top of the bergschrund?
(a) An hour.
(b) Two hours.
(c) Forty minutes.
(d) A half hour.
5. What was the first "key" to the mountain?
(a) The Fortress.
(b) The peak.
(c) The shoulder.
(d) The crossing of the snow bridge.
6. Why wouldn't Franz continue to the top of the mountain, despite Winter insisting he do so?
(a) Rudi wasn't fit to travel.
(b) Winter insisted he stay.
(c) Rudi had gotten hurt climbing through the Needle.
(d) A guide of Kurtal does not leave his Herr on the mountain.
7. Who convinces Franz to climb the Citadel?
(a) The other guides of Kurtal.
(b) Captain Winter.
8. What had disappeared with Rudi's fear?
(a) The specter.
(b) The need to run away.
(c) The feeling of being alone.
(d) The terror.
9. About how many feet were above Rudi?
(a) Almost three thousand.
(b) Almost two thousand.
(c) Almost twenty two hundred.
(d) Almost one thousand.
10. When did Rudi finally allow himself to collapse?
(a) When he had summoned Franz and Winter.
(b) When he had gotten Saxo to the Fortress.
(c) When he had gotten Saxo to the tents.
(d) When he had gotten Saxo to the bottom of the mountain.
11. How did Rudi's mountaineer instinct come into play?
(a) He put his arm over his face giving himself breathing room.
(b) He maintained his hold on the rope that was lashed to the other two climbers.
(c) He anchored himself and refused to let the avalanche take him.
(d) He swam through the snow.
12. Who was the first person to speak once the impact of what Rudi had said sunk in?
(c) Captain Winter.
13. Where had Winter been hurt?
(a) His arm.
(b) His leg.
(c) His hand.
(d) His head.
14. What did Franz see that caused him to pause?
(a) Rudi's boots.
(b) Rudi's knapsack.
(c) Rudi's father's red sweater.
(d) Blood in the snow.
15. For what was Frau Matt's prayer of thankfulness?
(a) Her son's courage.
(b) Her brother's mountaineering spirit.
(c) Her son's safety.
(d) Her brother's strong will.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why didn't Rudi yodel when he had gotten to where he stood?
2. What had changed about the night?
3. Why was Rudi's heart pounding?
4. What thought caused the specter to leave?
5. What wasn't on the menu of the climbers?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)