|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What honor was bestowed upon Rudi?
(a) He was allowed one full tent on his own.
(b) The lead position.
(c) He was allowed to decide the route.
(d) The privilege of discussing the route with them.
2. What made Franz angry?
(a) The fact that Rudi had continued on without letting him know.
(b) That Rudi had abandoned Winter and Franz.
(c) The thought of Saxo.
(d) That Saxo had abandoned his Herr.
3. Why didn't Rudi yodel when he had gotten to where he stood?
(a) He didn't want Franz to hear him.
(b) It would have been blasphemy.
(c) He wouldn't have honored his fathers memory,
(d) It wouldn't have satisfied him.
4. Who does Franz blame for Rudi's disappearance?
(c) Captain Winter.
5. What was the rumbling that Rudi heard?
(a) A rockslide above him.
(b) A rockslide below him.
(c) An avalanche to the side of him.
6. Why does Saxo think that so many people have come to the hut?
(a) To create a situation in which no one goes up the mountain.
(b) To keep them from climbing the mountain.
(c) To hurt them so they can't go up the mountain.
(d) To plot against them.
7. What approximate time was it when the group had moved past the Needle?
(a) Late evening.
(b) Early evening.
(d) Early afternoon.
8. What had awakened Rudi?
(a) A scream.
(b) A sound.
(c) The dream.
(d) The wailing wind.
9. Why didn't Rudi cry out?
(a) He worried that his voice could trigger a fresh avalanche.
(b) He knew his strongest effort on the surface would be little more than a whisper.
(c) He didn't think the other two people in his party would be alive to hear him.
(d) He felt that he would look wimpy to Saxo and Winter if he were to call out.
10. Why does Rudi think he can make it through the eye of the needle?
(a) He had the faith of the group on his shoulders.
(b) He found the way past the Fortress.
(c) He is smaller.
(d) He had become a good climber.
11. Why wouldn't Franz continue to the top of the mountain, despite Winter insisting he do so?
(a) Rudi had gotten hurt climbing through the Needle.
(b) A guide of Kurtal does not leave his Herr on the mountain.
(c) Winter insisted he stay.
(d) Rudi wasn't fit to travel.
12. Where did Rudi keep near when he had approached the area in which the avalanche had occurred the day before?
(a) The rock wall.
(b) The right hand side.
(c) The left hand side.
(d) The center or the slide area.
13. What must always come first in any situation?
(a) The maintenance of group responsibility.
(b) The help of another climber.
(c) The responsibility of a porter to the guide.
(d) The injuries of a person in trouble.
14. How did Rudi's mountaineer instinct come into play?
(a) He put his arm over his face giving himself breathing room.
(b) He anchored himself and refused to let the avalanche take him.
(c) He maintained his hold on the rope that was lashed to the other two climbers.
(d) He swam through the snow.
15. How many times did Rudi turn and look back?
(a) He didn't look back.
(c) Three times.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Rudi's uncle respond to him threading the needle?
2. How long would Rudi give himself to go up?
3. Who convinces Franz to climb the Citadel?
4. What thought caused the specter to leave?
5. How long did it take Rudi to reach the top of the bergschrund?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)