|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Saxo become sullen?
(a) Winter trusted Rudi over Saxo.
(b) Rudi was leading instead of him.
(c) Winter used Rudi's route instead of his.
(d) Winter trusted Franz over Saxo.
2. How did Rudi's uncle respond to him threading the needle?
(a) He was full of praise for him.
(b) He told him he would never again use another porter.
(c) He was aloof.
(d) He held him tight.
3. Why didn't Rudi yodel when he had gotten to where he stood?
(a) It would have been blasphemy.
(b) He didn't want Franz to hear him.
(c) It wouldn't have satisfied him.
(d) He wouldn't have honored his fathers memory,
4. Why did Frau Matt consider herself in the wrong?
(a) For pushing the townsfolk to lie to cover up Rudi's whereabouts.
(b) She had kept Rudi from pursuing his dreams all this time.
(c) For worrying about Rudi when truly he is a capable climber.
(d) She had reacted without thinking of her son's wishes.
5. About how many feet were above Rudi?
(a) Almost three thousand.
(b) Almost one thousand.
(c) Almost two thousand.
(d) Almost twenty two hundred.
6. Why wouldn't Franz continue to the top of the mountain, despite Winter insisting he do so?
(a) Rudi had gotten hurt climbing through the Needle.
(b) A guide of Kurtal does not leave his Herr on the mountain.
(c) Rudi wasn't fit to travel.
(d) Winter insisted he stay.
7. Who was the first person to speak once the impact of what Rudi had said sunk in?
(d) Captain Winter.
8. What honor was bestowed upon Rudi?
(a) He was allowed to decide the route.
(b) He was allowed one full tent on his own.
(c) The privilege of discussing the route with them.
(d) The lead position.
9. Why does Saxo think that so many people have come to the hut?
(a) To plot against them.
(b) To create a situation in which no one goes up the mountain.
(c) To hurt them so they can't go up the mountain.
(d) To keep them from climbing the mountain.
10. What had changed about the night?
(a) It had gotten clearer.
(b) It had gotten colder.
(c) It had gotten warmer.
(d) The stars had come out.
11. Where did Rudi realize he was?
(a) Too far away from the ground.
(b) In the same cave in which his father and Sir Stephenson had died.
(c) Far away from home.
(d) On the Citadel's Fortress.
12. What thought caused the specter to leave?
(a) That it wanted to cause him no harm.
(b) That the only ghost would be that of his father.
(c) That ghosts aren't real.
(d) That he was Josef Matt's son.
13. Why couldn't Winter continue up the mountain?
(a) He had fallen and was in pain.
(b) His feet hurt.
(c) He was struck with paroxysms of coughing.
(d) He was too tired.
14. Who does Franz blame for Rudi's disappearance?
(a) Captain Winter.
15. What resolve deepened in Rudi?
(a) To never slip.
(b) Not to fail them or betray their trust.
(c) To make his father proud.
(d) To be loyal to the Herr.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did it take Rudi to reach the top of the bergschrund?
2. Why was Rudi frustrated and shamed when he came to the crack?
3. What did Franz see that caused him to pause?
4. Why didn't Rudi continue down the hillside?
5. How many times did Rudi turn and look back?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)