|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many men were to remain behind?
2. Why did Saxo say he was climbing the Citadel?
(a) For his wife.
(b) For the glory of himself and Broli.
(c) For Winter.
(d) For all the climbers that had perished before him.
3. Why did Frau Matt consider herself in the wrong?
(a) For pushing the townsfolk to lie to cover up Rudi's whereabouts.
(b) She had kept Rudi from pursuing his dreams all this time.
(c) She had reacted without thinking of her son's wishes.
(d) For worrying about Rudi when truly he is a capable climber.
4. What was the first "key" to the mountain?
(a) The shoulder.
(b) The crossing of the snow bridge.
(c) The Fortress.
(d) The peak.
5. Why wouldn't Franz continue to the top of the mountain, despite Winter insisting he do so?
(a) A guide of Kurtal does not leave his Herr on the mountain.
(b) Rudi wasn't fit to travel.
(c) Rudi had gotten hurt climbing through the Needle.
(d) Winter insisted he stay.
6. What made Franz angry?
(a) The thought of Saxo.
(b) That Rudi had abandoned Winter and Franz.
(c) The fact that Rudi had continued on without letting him know.
(d) That Saxo had abandoned his Herr.
7. Why was Rudi's heart pounding?
(a) He had confronted the demons that were on the mountain.
(b) He had seen the cave in which his father had died.
(c) He had reached the Fortress.
(d) He had been exerting himself heavily.
8. What did Rudi still have in his hands?
(a) Balls of snow.
(b) The rope.
(c) The ax.
(d) His crampons.
9. What had disappeared with Rudi's fear?
(a) The need to run away.
(b) The feeling of being alone.
(c) The terror.
(d) The specter.
10. What had changed about the night?
(a) It had gotten colder.
(b) It had gotten warmer.
(c) The stars had come out.
(d) It had gotten clearer.
11. Why was not going on worst for Rudi?
(a) His uncle was preventing him from going up.
(b) He had insisted he go.
(c) He was both able and willing to do so.
(d) Winter would have wanted him to do it.
12. Why couldn't Winter continue up the mountain?
(a) He was too tired.
(b) He was struck with paroxysms of coughing.
(c) He had fallen and was in pain.
(d) His feet hurt.
13. What had changed in Winter's appearance?
(a) His cheeks were less sunken.
(b) His eyes appeared less tired.
(c) His cheeks had regained their color.
(d) His eyes had become brighter.
14. Why does Saxo think that so many people have come to the hut?
(a) To keep them from climbing the mountain.
(b) To plot against them.
(c) To create a situation in which no one goes up the mountain.
(d) To hurt them so they can't go up the mountain.
15. Why hadn't Rudi turned around when he knew he needed to?
(a) He didn't want to explain to Klaus why he'd turned around.
(b) The magic of the mountain drew him on.
(c) He didn't want to tell Winter why he hadn't gone down to Kurtal.
(d) He wasn't looking forward to his uncles' wrath.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Rudi know which route to follow?
2. Who was it that brought Rudi's belongings further?
3. What part of Rudi's body got stuck?
4. What dismayed Rudi?
5. What warmed Rudi more than either tent or blanket?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)