|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Saxo become sullen?
(a) Winter trusted Rudi over Saxo.
(b) Rudi was leading instead of him.
(c) Winter trusted Franz over Saxo.
(d) Winter used Rudi's route instead of his.
2. Why does Rudi think he can make it through the eye of the needle?
(a) He is smaller.
(b) He had the faith of the group on his shoulders.
(c) He found the way past the Fortress.
(d) He had become a good climber.
3. Although Winter wasn't in as good of health, what did Rudi see was untempered?
(a) His spirit.
(b) His strong will.
(c) His health.
(d) His ambition.
4. What resolve deepened in Rudi?
(a) To be loyal to the Herr.
(b) To never slip.
(c) To make his father proud.
(d) Not to fail them or betray their trust.
5. What was the main reason that Saxo gave that he wouldn't climb with Franz?
(a) "A man of Broli is more skilled than a Kurtaler".
(b) " A man of Broli does not climb with a Kurtaler".
(c) "A Kurtaler is too good to climb with a man of Broli".
(d) "A man of Broli is better than a Kurtaler".
6. Why was Rudi frustrated and shamed when he came to the crack?
(a) He had slipped and fallen.
(b) He had dangled.
(c) It was the first time in which he had needed assistance from the others.
(d) He was hauled up like a bundle of firewood.
7. What honor was bestowed upon Rudi?
(a) The privilege of discussing the route with them.
(b) He was allowed one full tent on his own.
(c) The lead position.
(d) He was allowed to decide the route.
8. What made Rudi happy?
(a) He had proved his father was right.
(b) He was higher than any person had ever been before on the Citadel.
(c) All of these.
(d) There was a straight forward route past the Fortress and beyond.
9. Why wouldn't Franz continue to the top of the mountain, despite Winter insisting he do so?
(a) Winter insisted he stay.
(b) Rudi wasn't fit to travel.
(c) Rudi had gotten hurt climbing through the Needle.
(d) A guide of Kurtal does not leave his Herr on the mountain.
10. What dismayed Rudi?
(a) He knew the others would be up and knew what he was doing.
(b) He could only move at such a pace and not beyond it.
(c) Time and space had lost meaning.
(d) He thought Saxo had already reached the summit.
11. What part of Rudi's body got stuck?
(a) His head.
(b) His hips.
(c) His shoulders.
(d) His arms.
12. Who stands up for Rudi and prevents Franz from taking him down the mountain?
(c) Captain Winter.
(d) Klaus Wesselhoft.
13. What did Franz see that caused him to pause?
(a) Rudi's boots.
(b) Rudi's knapsack.
(c) Blood in the snow.
(d) Rudi's father's red sweater.
14. Why didn't Rudi yodel when he had gotten to where he stood?
(a) He wouldn't have honored his fathers memory,
(b) It would have been blasphemy.
(c) It wouldn't have satisfied him.
(d) He didn't want Franz to hear him.
15. Why did Saxo say he was climbing the Citadel?
(a) For the glory of himself and Broli.
(b) For all the climbers that had perished before him.
(c) For Winter.
(d) For his wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had unnerved Rudi?
2. Why did Saxo think that Josef and Stephenson couldn't find the way up the eastern face?
3. How many times did Rudi turn and look back?
4. What made Rudi not want to go back to Kurtal?
5. Why was not going on worst for Rudi?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)