|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who convinces Franz to climb the Citadel?
(b) The other guides of Kurtal.
(d) Captain Winter.
2. What approximate time was it when the group had moved past the Needle?
(a) Early evening.
(c) Late evening.
(d) Early afternoon.
3. How did Rudi's mountaineer instinct come into play?
(a) He swam through the snow.
(b) He anchored himself and refused to let the avalanche take him.
(c) He put his arm over his face giving himself breathing room.
(d) He maintained his hold on the rope that was lashed to the other two climbers.
4. Why did Saxo say he was climbing the Citadel?
(a) For Winter.
(b) For all the climbers that had perished before him.
(c) For the glory of himself and Broli.
(d) For his wife.
5. Why does Saxo think that so many people have come to the hut?
(a) To create a situation in which no one goes up the mountain.
(b) To keep them from climbing the mountain.
(c) To hurt them so they can't go up the mountain.
(d) To plot against them.
6. Why was Rudi frustrated and shamed when he came to the crack?
(a) He had dangled.
(b) He had slipped and fallen.
(c) He was hauled up like a bundle of firewood.
(d) It was the first time in which he had needed assistance from the others.
7. What had changed about the night?
(a) It had gotten warmer.
(b) It had gotten clearer.
(c) It had gotten colder.
(d) The stars had come out.
8. Why wouldn't Franz continue to the top of the mountain, despite Winter insisting he do so?
(a) Rudi had gotten hurt climbing through the Needle.
(b) Winter insisted he stay.
(c) Rudi wasn't fit to travel.
(d) A guide of Kurtal does not leave his Herr on the mountain.
9. What part of Rudi's body got stuck?
(a) His shoulders.
(b) His head.
(c) His arms.
(d) His hips.
10. What made Rudi happy?
(a) All of these.
(b) He had proved his father was right.
(c) There was a straight forward route past the Fortress and beyond.
(d) He was higher than any person had ever been before on the Citadel.
11. Why did Saxo become sullen?
(a) Winter trusted Rudi over Saxo.
(b) Winter trusted Franz over Saxo.
(c) Winter used Rudi's route instead of his.
(d) Rudi was leading instead of him.
12. How was Rudi encouraged when he thought it was impossible to go any further?
(a) It had been clearly mapped out.
(b) Winter's wise words, and his support of Rudi's climbing.
(c) It had been done before by his father.
(d) Saxo's mean words and the fact that he thought Kurtalers wouldn't climb.
13. What did Rudi see on the cliff above?
(a) An eagle.
(b) A seagull.
(c) A mountain goat.
(d) A chamois.
14. Under how many feet of snow was Winter buried?
15. Why was not going on worst for Rudi?
(a) He had insisted he go.
(b) His uncle was preventing him from going up.
(c) He was both able and willing to do so.
(d) Winter would have wanted him to do it.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Rudi know which route to follow?
2. Why does Rudi think he can make it through the eye of the needle?
3. How many times did Rudi turn and look back?
4. What wasn't on the menu of the climbers?
5. Why didn't Rudi cry out?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)