|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Rudi realize he was?
(a) Far away from home.
(b) On the Citadel's Fortress.
(c) In the same cave in which his father and Sir Stephenson had died.
(d) Too far away from the ground.
2. What was the main reason that Saxo gave that he wouldn't climb with Franz?
(a) " A man of Broli does not climb with a Kurtaler".
(b) "A Kurtaler is too good to climb with a man of Broli".
(c) "A man of Broli is better than a Kurtaler".
(d) "A man of Broli is more skilled than a Kurtaler".
3. Why was Rudi frustrated and shamed when he came to the crack?
(a) He had slipped and fallen.
(b) It was the first time in which he had needed assistance from the others.
(c) He was hauled up like a bundle of firewood.
(d) He had dangled.
4. What thought caused the specter to leave?
(a) That it wanted to cause him no harm.
(b) That the only ghost would be that of his father.
(c) That he was Josef Matt's son.
(d) That ghosts aren't real.
5. Under how many feet of snow was Winter buried?
6. How many times did Rudi turn and look back?
(a) He didn't look back.
(d) Three times.
7. How many men were to remain behind?
8. How was Rudi encouraged when he thought it was impossible to go any further?
(a) It had been done before by his father.
(b) It had been clearly mapped out.
(c) Winter's wise words, and his support of Rudi's climbing.
(d) Saxo's mean words and the fact that he thought Kurtalers wouldn't climb.
9. What had disappeared with Rudi's fear?
(a) The specter.
(b) The need to run away.
(c) The feeling of being alone.
(d) The terror.
10. What was the first "key" to the mountain?
(a) The Fortress.
(b) The crossing of the snow bridge.
(c) The peak.
(d) The shoulder.
11. What part of Rudi's body got stuck?
(a) His arms.
(b) His head.
(c) His hips.
(d) His shoulders.
12. What had changed in Winter's appearance?
(a) His cheeks were less sunken.
(b) His cheeks had regained their color.
(c) His eyes appeared less tired.
(d) His eyes had become brighter.
13. Who stands up for Rudi and prevents Franz from taking him down the mountain?
(a) Klaus Wesselhoft.
(b) Captain Winter.
14. Why didn't Rudi continue down the hillside?
(a) He kept slipping on the snow-covered rocks.
(b) He knew Franz would be wroth if he didn't.
(c) He wanted to climb the peak in the morning.
(d) He thought that his mother would be too worried.
15. Why did Saxo think that Josef and Stephenson couldn't find the way up the eastern face?
(a) They didn't look hard enough, or perhaps not have the skill.
(b) The weather might not have been as good.
(c) The Kurtal guide wasn't as skilled as a guide from Broli.
(d) Stephenson was injured, and therefore they had to find a route to suit him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Saxo think that so many people have come to the hut?
2. Why didn't Rudi yodel when he had gotten to where he stood?
3. Where had Winter been hurt?
4. How long would Rudi give himself to go up?
5. Where did the guides think that Rudi was?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)