|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the main reason that Saxo gave that he wouldn't climb with Franz?
(a) "A man of Broli is more skilled than a Kurtaler".
(b) " A man of Broli does not climb with a Kurtaler".
(c) "A man of Broli is better than a Kurtaler".
(d) "A Kurtaler is too good to climb with a man of Broli".
2. What was the first "key" to the mountain?
(a) The shoulder.
(b) The peak.
(c) The Fortress.
(d) The crossing of the snow bridge.
3. What must always come first in any situation?
(a) The maintenance of group responsibility.
(b) The help of another climber.
(c) The injuries of a person in trouble.
(d) The responsibility of a porter to the guide.
4. What part of Rudi's body got stuck?
(a) His hips.
(b) His arms.
(c) His head.
(d) His shoulders.
5. What made Rudi not want to go back to Kurtal?
(a) The mocking laughter of Klaus Weisselhoft.
(b) All of these.
(c) His uncles' anger and his mother's tears.
(d) The dirty dishes at the Beau Site Hotel.
6. How did Rudi's mountaineer instinct come into play?
(a) He put his arm over his face giving himself breathing room.
(b) He anchored himself and refused to let the avalanche take him.
(c) He swam through the snow.
(d) He maintained his hold on the rope that was lashed to the other two climbers.
7. Why was Rudi frustrated and shamed when he came to the crack?
(a) He had slipped and fallen.
(b) It was the first time in which he had needed assistance from the others.
(c) He was hauled up like a bundle of firewood.
(d) He had dangled.
8. For what was Frau Matt's prayer of thankfulness?
(a) Her son's courage.
(b) Her son's safety.
(c) Her brother's strong will.
(d) Her brother's mountaineering spirit.
9. What does Winter tell Rudi to do that scares him?
(a) That Winter might not go on the hike at all due to his condition.
(b) That they have twenty-four hours to get up and down the mountain.
(c) That they are climbing the Citadel today.
(d) Go down to Kurtal and convince his uncle to come up.
10. How long did it take Rudi to reach the top of the bergschrund?
(a) An hour.
(b) Two hours.
(c) A half hour.
(d) Forty minutes.
11. What was the rumbling that Rudi heard?
(a) A rockslide above him.
(c) An avalanche to the side of him.
(d) A rockslide below him.
12. What did Rudi still have in his hands?
(a) The rope.
(b) The ax.
(c) Balls of snow.
(d) His crampons.
13. Why does Saxo think that so many people have come to the hut?
(a) To keep them from climbing the mountain.
(b) To hurt them so they can't go up the mountain.
(c) To plot against them.
(d) To create a situation in which no one goes up the mountain.
14. Why was Rudi's heart pounding?
(a) He had seen the cave in which his father had died.
(b) He had reached the Fortress.
(c) He had been exerting himself heavily.
(d) He had confronted the demons that were on the mountain.
15. Where did Rudi keep near when he had approached the area in which the avalanche had occurred the day before?
(a) The left hand side.
(b) The right hand side.
(c) The center or the slide area.
(d) The rock wall.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why couldn't Winter continue up the mountain?
2. What warmed Rudi more than either tent or blanket?
3. Why does Rudi think he can make it through the eye of the needle?
4. Why did Saxo say he was climbing the Citadel?
5. Why hadn't Rudi turned around when he knew he needed to?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)