|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Saxo think that so many people have come to the hut?
(a) To plot against them.
(b) To keep them from climbing the mountain.
(c) To create a situation in which no one goes up the mountain.
(d) To hurt them so they can't go up the mountain.
2. Although Winter wasn't in as good of health, what did Rudi see was untempered?
(a) His spirit.
(b) His strong will.
(c) His health.
(d) His ambition.
3. Why was not going on worst for Rudi?
(a) He had insisted he go.
(b) He was both able and willing to do so.
(c) His uncle was preventing him from going up.
(d) Winter would have wanted him to do it.
4. Why couldn't Winter continue up the mountain?
(a) He had fallen and was in pain.
(b) He was struck with paroxysms of coughing.
(c) His feet hurt.
(d) He was too tired.
5. What must always come first in any situation?
(a) The responsibility of a porter to the guide.
(b) The injuries of a person in trouble.
(c) The maintenance of group responsibility.
(d) The help of another climber.
6. What was the main reason that Saxo gave that he wouldn't climb with Franz?
(a) "A man of Broli is better than a Kurtaler".
(b) "A man of Broli is more skilled than a Kurtaler".
(c) " A man of Broli does not climb with a Kurtaler".
(d) "A Kurtaler is too good to climb with a man of Broli".
7. What had changed in Winter's appearance?
(a) His eyes appeared less tired.
(b) His cheeks had regained their color.
(c) His eyes had become brighter.
(d) His cheeks were less sunken.
8. How did Rudi's uncle respond to him threading the needle?
(a) He told him he would never again use another porter.
(b) He was aloof.
(c) He held him tight.
(d) He was full of praise for him.
9. How did Rudi's mountaineer instinct come into play?
(a) He put his arm over his face giving himself breathing room.
(b) He anchored himself and refused to let the avalanche take him.
(c) He maintained his hold on the rope that was lashed to the other two climbers.
(d) He swam through the snow.
10. Who stands up for Rudi and prevents Franz from taking him down the mountain?
(a) Captain Winter.
(b) Klaus Wesselhoft.
11. What made Franz angry?
(a) The thought of Saxo.
(b) The fact that Rudi had continued on without letting him know.
(c) That Saxo had abandoned his Herr.
(d) That Rudi had abandoned Winter and Franz.
12. What approximate time was it when the group had moved past the Needle?
(a) Early evening.
(b) Late evening.
(d) Early afternoon.
13. Why did Frau Matt consider herself in the wrong?
(a) For worrying about Rudi when truly he is a capable climber.
(b) She had kept Rudi from pursuing his dreams all this time.
(c) She had reacted without thinking of her son's wishes.
(d) For pushing the townsfolk to lie to cover up Rudi's whereabouts.
14. Why wouldn't Franz continue to the top of the mountain, despite Winter insisting he do so?
(a) Winter insisted he stay.
(b) Rudi had gotten hurt climbing through the Needle.
(c) Rudi wasn't fit to travel.
(d) A guide of Kurtal does not leave his Herr on the mountain.
15. Who was the first person to speak once the impact of what Rudi had said sunk in?
(a) Captain Winter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Saxo become sullen?
2. What had disappeared with Rudi's fear?
3. What wasn't on the menu of the climbers?
4. Why does Rudi think he can make it through the eye of the needle?
5. What motivated Rudi to go on?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)