|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Rudi know which route to follow?
(a) He had memorized his footing.
(b) They had marked out their route before.
(c) The marks of their boot nails were still visible.
(d) He didn't follow their original route, but his own.
2. What must always come first in any situation?
(a) The help of another climber.
(b) The responsibility of a porter to the guide.
(c) The maintenance of group responsibility.
(d) The injuries of a person in trouble.
3. Why did Frau Matt consider herself in the wrong?
(a) She had reacted without thinking of her son's wishes.
(b) She had kept Rudi from pursuing his dreams all this time.
(c) For pushing the townsfolk to lie to cover up Rudi's whereabouts.
(d) For worrying about Rudi when truly he is a capable climber.
4. What did Rudi see on the cliff above?
(a) A chamois.
(b) A mountain goat.
(c) A seagull.
(d) An eagle.
5. What resolve deepened in Rudi?
(a) Not to fail them or betray their trust.
(b) To never slip.
(c) To make his father proud.
(d) To be loyal to the Herr.
6. What approximate time was it when the group had moved past the Needle?
(a) Early evening.
(c) Late evening.
(d) Early afternoon.
7. What had awakened Rudi?
(a) The dream.
(b) A scream.
(c) A sound.
(d) The wailing wind.
8. What warmed Rudi more than either tent or blanket?
(a) The fact that he had gotten lead.
(b) The group trusted Rudi.
(c) His uncle's presence.
(d) Rudi was actually on the mountain he'd dreamed of as a kid.
9. Why are Saxo and Winter headed back to Broli?
(a) To get supplies.
(b) To finish writing his will.
(c) To get a tent.
(d) To make a call to his wife.
10. Why didn't Rudi cry out?
(a) He didn't think the other two people in his party would be alive to hear him.
(b) He worried that his voice could trigger a fresh avalanche.
(c) He felt that he would look wimpy to Saxo and Winter if he were to call out.
(d) He knew his strongest effort on the surface would be little more than a whisper.
11. What was the main reason that Saxo gave that he wouldn't climb with Franz?
(a) " A man of Broli does not climb with a Kurtaler".
(b) "A man of Broli is better than a Kurtaler".
(c) "A Kurtaler is too good to climb with a man of Broli".
(d) "A man of Broli is more skilled than a Kurtaler".
12. For what was Frau Matt's prayer of thankfulness?
(a) Her son's safety.
(b) Her brother's strong will.
(c) Her son's courage.
(d) Her brother's mountaineering spirit.
13. How did Rudi's mountaineer instinct come into play?
(a) He put his arm over his face giving himself breathing room.
(b) He maintained his hold on the rope that was lashed to the other two climbers.
(c) He anchored himself and refused to let the avalanche take him.
(d) He swam through the snow.
14. What had disappeared with Rudi's fear?
(a) The terror.
(b) The feeling of being alone.
(c) The need to run away.
(d) The specter.
15. What dismayed Rudi?
(a) He could only move at such a pace and not beyond it.
(b) Time and space had lost meaning.
(c) He knew the others would be up and knew what he was doing.
(d) He thought Saxo had already reached the summit.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the first "key" to the mountain?
2. Who does Franz blame for Rudi's disappearance?
3. When did Rudi finally allow himself to collapse?
4. Under how many feet of snow was Winter buried?
5. Why does Saxo think that so many people have come to the hut?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)