|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Rudi realize he was?
(a) In the same cave in which his father and Sir Stephenson had died.
(b) Far away from home.
(c) On the Citadel's Fortress.
(d) Too far away from the ground.
2. Why does Saxo think that so many people have come to the hut?
(a) To create a situation in which no one goes up the mountain.
(b) To keep them from climbing the mountain.
(c) To hurt them so they can't go up the mountain.
(d) To plot against them.
3. Why did Frau Matt consider herself in the wrong?
(a) For pushing the townsfolk to lie to cover up Rudi's whereabouts.
(b) For worrying about Rudi when truly he is a capable climber.
(c) She had reacted without thinking of her son's wishes.
(d) She had kept Rudi from pursuing his dreams all this time.
4. Although Winter wasn't in as good of health, what did Rudi see was untempered?
(a) His ambition.
(b) His strong will.
(c) His health.
(d) His spirit.
5. How long would Rudi give himself to go up?
(a) Another hour.
(b) Another two hours.
(c) Three hours.
(d) Forty-five minutes.
6. What did Rudi see on the cliff above?
(a) A seagull.
(b) An eagle.
(c) A chamois.
(d) A mountain goat.
7. Where did the guides think that Rudi was?
(a) Up on the Citadel.
(b) Back in Kurtal.
(c) Eaten by demons.
(d) In a crevasse.
8. What motivated Rudi to go on?
(a) He knew that he must help Saxo.
(b) He was his fathers' son.
(c) Franz was on his way to the top.
(d) The fact that he had to.
9. What does Winter tell Rudi to do that scares him?
(a) That they are climbing the Citadel today.
(b) Go down to Kurtal and convince his uncle to come up.
(c) That Winter might not go on the hike at all due to his condition.
(d) That they have twenty-four hours to get up and down the mountain.
10. How did Rudi know which route to follow?
(a) He didn't follow their original route, but his own.
(b) He had memorized his footing.
(c) They had marked out their route before.
(d) The marks of their boot nails were still visible.
11. What made Rudi happy?
(a) All of these.
(b) He was higher than any person had ever been before on the Citadel.
(c) There was a straight forward route past the Fortress and beyond.
(d) He had proved his father was right.
12. What had unnerved Rudi?
(a) The hight at which he stood.
(b) The fact that he was higher than anyone had been since his father had stood there.
(c) The stillness of the mountain and all that surrounded him.
(d) He saw his father's ghost.
13. How did Rudi's mountaineer instinct come into play?
(a) He maintained his hold on the rope that was lashed to the other two climbers.
(b) He swam through the snow.
(c) He put his arm over his face giving himself breathing room.
(d) He anchored himself and refused to let the avalanche take him.
14. Who stands up for Rudi and prevents Franz from taking him down the mountain?
(a) Klaus Wesselhoft.
(b) Captain Winter.
15. How did Rudi's uncle respond to him threading the needle?
(a) He was full of praise for him.
(b) He told him he would never again use another porter.
(c) He was aloof.
(d) He held him tight.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why didn't Rudi cry out?
2. What part of Rudi's body got stuck?
3. Why did Rudi believe that Winter would make it?
4. What thought caused the specter to leave?
5. What did Franz see that caused him to pause?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)