|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why hadn't Rudi turned around when he knew he needed to?
(a) He wasn't looking forward to his uncles' wrath.
(b) He didn't want to explain to Klaus why he'd turned around.
(c) He didn't want to tell Winter why he hadn't gone down to Kurtal.
(d) The magic of the mountain drew him on.
2. What did Rudi see on the cliff above?
(a) A mountain goat.
(b) An eagle.
(c) A seagull.
(d) A chamois.
3. Why didn't Rudi yodel when he had gotten to where he stood?
(a) It wouldn't have satisfied him.
(b) He didn't want Franz to hear him.
(c) He wouldn't have honored his fathers memory,
(d) It would have been blasphemy.
4. What approximate time was it when the group had moved past the Needle?
(a) Early evening.
(c) Late evening.
(d) Early afternoon.
5. How long would Rudi give himself to go up?
(a) Another two hours.
(b) Forty-five minutes.
(c) Another hour.
(d) Three hours.
6. Where had Winter been hurt?
(a) His head.
(b) His leg.
(c) His hand.
(d) His arm.
7. Why did Saxo become sullen?
(a) Winter used Rudi's route instead of his.
(b) Rudi was leading instead of him.
(c) Winter trusted Rudi over Saxo.
(d) Winter trusted Franz over Saxo.
8. How many times did Rudi turn and look back?
(b) Three times.
(c) He didn't look back.
9. Where did Rudi realize he was?
(a) Too far away from the ground.
(b) Far away from home.
(c) On the Citadel's Fortress.
(d) In the same cave in which his father and Sir Stephenson had died.
10. What part of Rudi's body got stuck?
(a) His hips.
(b) His arms.
(c) His head.
(d) His shoulders.
11. How many men were to remain behind?
12. What was the first "key" to the mountain?
(a) The shoulder.
(b) The Fortress.
(c) The crossing of the snow bridge.
(d) The peak.
13. Where did Rudi keep near when he had approached the area in which the avalanche had occurred the day before?
(a) The left hand side.
(b) The center or the slide area.
(c) The right hand side.
(d) The rock wall.
14. What motivated Rudi to go on?
(a) He knew that he must help Saxo.
(b) He was his fathers' son.
(c) Franz was on his way to the top.
(d) The fact that he had to.
15. What does Winter tell Rudi to do that scares him?
(a) That they are climbing the Citadel today.
(b) Go down to Kurtal and convince his uncle to come up.
(c) That they have twenty-four hours to get up and down the mountain.
(d) That Winter might not go on the hike at all due to his condition.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the rumbling that Rudi heard?
2. Why did Saxo think that Josef and Stephenson couldn't find the way up the eastern face?
3. What was the main reason that Saxo gave that he wouldn't climb with Franz?
4. Who stands up for Rudi and prevents Franz from taking him down the mountain?
5. Under how many feet of snow was Winter buried?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)