|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Saxo think that Josef and Stephenson couldn't find the way up the eastern face?
(a) The weather might not have been as good.
(b) They didn't look hard enough, or perhaps not have the skill.
(c) The Kurtal guide wasn't as skilled as a guide from Broli.
(d) Stephenson was injured, and therefore they had to find a route to suit him.
2. Where did Rudi realize he was?
(a) Far away from home.
(b) On the Citadel's Fortress.
(c) In the same cave in which his father and Sir Stephenson had died.
(d) Too far away from the ground.
3. Under how many feet of snow was Winter buried?
4. Why didn't Rudi continue down the hillside?
(a) He knew Franz would be wroth if he didn't.
(b) He wanted to climb the peak in the morning.
(c) He kept slipping on the snow-covered rocks.
(d) He thought that his mother would be too worried.
5. Who was it that brought Rudi's belongings further?
6. Who was the first person to speak once the impact of what Rudi had said sunk in?
(d) Captain Winter.
7. Why didn't Rudi cry out?
(a) He worried that his voice could trigger a fresh avalanche.
(b) He knew his strongest effort on the surface would be little more than a whisper.
(c) He didn't think the other two people in his party would be alive to hear him.
(d) He felt that he would look wimpy to Saxo and Winter if he were to call out.
8. How did Rudi know which route to follow?
(a) The marks of their boot nails were still visible.
(b) They had marked out their route before.
(c) He didn't follow their original route, but his own.
(d) He had memorized his footing.
9. Why does Saxo think that so many people have come to the hut?
(a) To keep them from climbing the mountain.
(b) To hurt them so they can't go up the mountain.
(c) To create a situation in which no one goes up the mountain.
(d) To plot against them.
10. What part of Rudi's body got stuck?
(a) His hips.
(b) His shoulders.
(c) His head.
(d) His arms.
11. Why did Frau Matt consider herself in the wrong?
(a) She had reacted without thinking of her son's wishes.
(b) For worrying about Rudi when truly he is a capable climber.
(c) For pushing the townsfolk to lie to cover up Rudi's whereabouts.
(d) She had kept Rudi from pursuing his dreams all this time.
12. What must always come first in any situation?
(a) The help of another climber.
(b) The maintenance of group responsibility.
(c) The responsibility of a porter to the guide.
(d) The injuries of a person in trouble.
13. About how many feet were above Rudi?
(a) Almost three thousand.
(b) Almost twenty two hundred.
(c) Almost two thousand.
(d) Almost one thousand.
14. What did Rudi compare Saxo to in his injury?
(a) A caged animal.
(b) A fallen giant.
(c) A wounded beast.
(d) A greenhorn.
15. Why didn't Rudi yodel when he had gotten to where he stood?
(a) He wouldn't have honored his fathers memory,
(b) It would have been blasphemy.
(c) It wouldn't have satisfied him.
(d) He didn't want Franz to hear him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Rudi's heart pounding?
2. What thought caused the specter to leave?
3. What honor was bestowed upon Rudi?
4. What did Rudi see on the cliff above?
5. Where did the guides think that Rudi was?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)