|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Rudi believe that Winter would make it?
(a) It had been Winter's dream to climb the Citadel before all of them.
(b) Winter had united two warring provincial towns.
(c) He of them all deserved the most to make it.
(d) Winter was the epitome of a decent man.
2. Why did Saxo become sullen?
(a) Rudi was leading instead of him.
(b) Winter used Rudi's route instead of his.
(c) Winter trusted Rudi over Saxo.
(d) Winter trusted Franz over Saxo.
3. For what was Frau Matt's prayer of thankfulness?
(a) Her son's safety.
(b) Her son's courage.
(c) Her brother's strong will.
(d) Her brother's mountaineering spirit.
4. What did Franz see that caused him to pause?
(a) Rudi's father's red sweater.
(b) Rudi's boots.
(c) Rudi's knapsack.
(d) Blood in the snow.
5. Why didn't Rudi yodel when he had gotten to where he stood?
(a) It would have been blasphemy.
(b) He didn't want Franz to hear him.
(c) It wouldn't have satisfied him.
(d) He wouldn't have honored his fathers memory,
6. Where had Winter been hurt?
(a) His leg.
(b) His head.
(c) His hand.
(d) His arm.
7. What part of Rudi's body got stuck?
(a) His arms.
(b) His shoulders.
(c) His hips.
(d) His head.
8. Why hadn't Rudi turned around when he knew he needed to?
(a) The magic of the mountain drew him on.
(b) He didn't want to explain to Klaus why he'd turned around.
(c) He didn't want to tell Winter why he hadn't gone down to Kurtal.
(d) He wasn't looking forward to his uncles' wrath.
9. Why wouldn't Franz continue to the top of the mountain, despite Winter insisting he do so?
(a) Rudi wasn't fit to travel.
(b) Winter insisted he stay.
(c) A guide of Kurtal does not leave his Herr on the mountain.
(d) Rudi had gotten hurt climbing through the Needle.
10. What does Winter tell Rudi to do that scares him?
(a) Go down to Kurtal and convince his uncle to come up.
(b) That they are climbing the Citadel today.
(c) That they have twenty-four hours to get up and down the mountain.
(d) That Winter might not go on the hike at all due to his condition.
11. Why couldn't Winter continue up the mountain?
(a) He was struck with paroxysms of coughing.
(b) He had fallen and was in pain.
(c) His feet hurt.
(d) He was too tired.
12. What had changed in Winter's appearance?
(a) His eyes had become brighter.
(b) His cheeks were less sunken.
(c) His eyes appeared less tired.
(d) His cheeks had regained their color.
13. Why was Rudi's heart pounding?
(a) He had seen the cave in which his father had died.
(b) He had confronted the demons that were on the mountain.
(c) He had reached the Fortress.
(d) He had been exerting himself heavily.
14. What did Rudi still have in his hands?
(a) The ax.
(b) Balls of snow.
(c) The rope.
(d) His crampons.
15. Where did Rudi realize he was?
(a) Far away from home.
(b) In the same cave in which his father and Sir Stephenson had died.
(c) On the Citadel's Fortress.
(d) Too far away from the ground.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Winter explain that they should approach the mountain as a group?
2. How was Rudi encouraged when he thought it was impossible to go any further?
3. Who was it that brought Rudi's belongings further?
4. What resolve deepened in Rudi?
5. What thought caused the specter to leave?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)