|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why didn't Rudi continue down the hillside?
(a) He thought that his mother would be too worried.
(b) He kept slipping on the snow-covered rocks.
(c) He knew Franz would be wroth if he didn't.
(d) He wanted to climb the peak in the morning.
2. What had disappeared with Rudi's fear?
(a) The terror.
(b) The need to run away.
(c) The specter.
(d) The feeling of being alone.
3. Why wouldn't Franz continue to the top of the mountain, despite Winter insisting he do so?
(a) Winter insisted he stay.
(b) A guide of Kurtal does not leave his Herr on the mountain.
(c) Rudi wasn't fit to travel.
(d) Rudi had gotten hurt climbing through the Needle.
4. Why did Rudi believe that Winter would make it?
(a) He of them all deserved the most to make it.
(b) Winter had united two warring provincial towns.
(c) Winter was the epitome of a decent man.
(d) It had been Winter's dream to climb the Citadel before all of them.
5. Why was not going on worst for Rudi?
(a) Winter would have wanted him to do it.
(b) He had insisted he go.
(c) He was both able and willing to do so.
(d) His uncle was preventing him from going up.
6. What honor was bestowed upon Rudi?
(a) He was allowed to decide the route.
(b) He was allowed one full tent on his own.
(c) The privilege of discussing the route with them.
(d) The lead position.
7. Why was Rudi's heart pounding?
(a) He had confronted the demons that were on the mountain.
(b) He had been exerting himself heavily.
(c) He had seen the cave in which his father had died.
(d) He had reached the Fortress.
8. Why does Saxo think that so many people have come to the hut?
(a) To keep them from climbing the mountain.
(b) To plot against them.
(c) To hurt them so they can't go up the mountain.
(d) To create a situation in which no one goes up the mountain.
9. How long did it take Rudi to reach the top of the bergschrund?
(a) Forty minutes.
(b) A half hour.
(c) Two hours.
(d) An hour.
10. What did Rudi still have in his hands?
(a) The ax.
(b) Balls of snow.
(c) The rope.
(d) His crampons.
11. Who does Franz blame for Rudi's disappearance?
(b) Captain Winter.
12. Who convinces Franz to climb the Citadel?
(c) Captain Winter.
(d) The other guides of Kurtal.
13. Why did Saxo become sullen?
(a) Winter trusted Rudi over Saxo.
(b) Rudi was leading instead of him.
(c) Winter trusted Franz over Saxo.
(d) Winter used Rudi's route instead of his.
14. What was the main reason that Saxo gave that he wouldn't climb with Franz?
(a) "A man of Broli is more skilled than a Kurtaler".
(b) " A man of Broli does not climb with a Kurtaler".
(c) "A man of Broli is better than a Kurtaler".
(d) "A Kurtaler is too good to climb with a man of Broli".
15. For what was Frau Matt's prayer of thankfulness?
(a) Her brother's strong will.
(b) Her brother's mountaineering spirit.
(c) Her son's courage.
(d) Her son's safety.
Short Answer Questions
1. Although Winter wasn't in as good of health, what did Rudi see was untempered?
2. What approximate time was it when the group had moved past the Needle?
3. Why are Saxo and Winter headed back to Broli?
4. Where did the guides think that Rudi was?
5. Why didn't Rudi cry out?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)