|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Rudi frustrated and shamed when he came to the crack?
(a) He had slipped and fallen.
(b) He was hauled up like a bundle of firewood.
(c) He had dangled.
(d) It was the first time in which he had needed assistance from the others.
2. What had awakened Rudi?
(a) The dream.
(b) A scream.
(c) A sound.
(d) The wailing wind.
3. For what was Frau Matt's prayer of thankfulness?
(a) Her son's courage.
(b) Her brother's mountaineering spirit.
(c) Her son's safety.
(d) Her brother's strong will.
4. Who stands up for Rudi and prevents Franz from taking him down the mountain?
(c) Captain Winter.
(d) Klaus Wesselhoft.
5. What motivated Rudi to go on?
(a) Franz was on his way to the top.
(b) The fact that he had to.
(c) He was his fathers' son.
(d) He knew that he must help Saxo.
6. What did Franz see that caused him to pause?
(a) Blood in the snow.
(b) Rudi's boots.
(c) Rudi's father's red sweater.
(d) Rudi's knapsack.
7. When did Rudi finally allow himself to collapse?
(a) When he had gotten Saxo to the tents.
(b) When he had gotten Saxo to the bottom of the mountain.
(c) When he had summoned Franz and Winter.
(d) When he had gotten Saxo to the Fortress.
8. How does Winter explain that they should approach the mountain as a group?
(a) As rivals, and compete for the prize that is the top of the mountain.
(b) As human beings, not people from different towns or nations.
(c) As friends, and bury the hatchet of hatred between the two villages.
(d) As equals, people that want to climb the Citadel together.
9. Under how many feet of snow was Winter buried?
10. What thought caused the specter to leave?
(a) That ghosts aren't real.
(b) That it wanted to cause him no harm.
(c) That he was Josef Matt's son.
(d) That the only ghost would be that of his father.
11. Why couldn't Winter continue up the mountain?
(a) His feet hurt.
(b) He had fallen and was in pain.
(c) He was struck with paroxysms of coughing.
(d) He was too tired.
12. How did Rudi's uncle respond to him threading the needle?
(a) He told him he would never again use another porter.
(b) He held him tight.
(c) He was full of praise for him.
(d) He was aloof.
13. Why did Saxo think that Josef and Stephenson couldn't find the way up the eastern face?
(a) The Kurtal guide wasn't as skilled as a guide from Broli.
(b) They didn't look hard enough, or perhaps not have the skill.
(c) Stephenson was injured, and therefore they had to find a route to suit him.
(d) The weather might not have been as good.
14. How many times did Rudi turn and look back?
(a) Three times.
(d) He didn't look back.
15. Who was it that brought Rudi's belongings further?
Short Answer Questions
1. Although Winter wasn't in as good of health, what did Rudi see was untempered?
2. What honor was bestowed upon Rudi?
3. What made Rudi happy?
4. Who convinces Franz to climb the Citadel?
5. What did Rudi still have in his hands?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)