|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why didn't Rudi continue down the hillside?
(a) He kept slipping on the snow-covered rocks.
(b) He knew Franz would be wroth if he didn't.
(c) He thought that his mother would be too worried.
(d) He wanted to climb the peak in the morning.
2. What had disappeared with Rudi's fear?
(a) The specter.
(b) The feeling of being alone.
(c) The terror.
(d) The need to run away.
3. What did Franz see that caused him to pause?
(a) Blood in the snow.
(b) Rudi's father's red sweater.
(c) Rudi's knapsack.
(d) Rudi's boots.
4. How long would Rudi give himself to go up?
(a) Forty-five minutes.
(b) Another hour.
(c) Another two hours.
(d) Three hours.
5. What honor was bestowed upon Rudi?
(a) The privilege of discussing the route with them.
(b) The lead position.
(c) He was allowed one full tent on his own.
(d) He was allowed to decide the route.
6. Although Winter wasn't in as good of health, what did Rudi see was untempered?
(a) His ambition.
(b) His spirit.
(c) His strong will.
(d) His health.
7. How did Rudi's uncle respond to him threading the needle?
(a) He held him tight.
(b) He told him he would never again use another porter.
(c) He was aloof.
(d) He was full of praise for him.
8. What approximate time was it when the group had moved past the Needle?
(a) Late evening.
(b) Early afternoon.
(c) Early evening.
9. Who stands up for Rudi and prevents Franz from taking him down the mountain?
(a) Captain Winter.
(b) Klaus Wesselhoft.
10. Why did Frau Matt consider herself in the wrong?
(a) She had reacted without thinking of her son's wishes.
(b) She had kept Rudi from pursuing his dreams all this time.
(c) For worrying about Rudi when truly he is a capable climber.
(d) For pushing the townsfolk to lie to cover up Rudi's whereabouts.
11. Where had Winter been hurt?
(a) His arm.
(b) His leg.
(c) His hand.
(d) His head.
12. Why did Saxo say he was climbing the Citadel?
(a) For the glory of himself and Broli.
(b) For his wife.
(c) For all the climbers that had perished before him.
(d) For Winter.
13. About how many feet were above Rudi?
(a) Almost three thousand.
(b) Almost two thousand.
(c) Almost twenty two hundred.
(d) Almost one thousand.
14. What had unnerved Rudi?
(a) He saw his father's ghost.
(b) The stillness of the mountain and all that surrounded him.
(c) The fact that he was higher than anyone had been since his father had stood there.
(d) The hight at which he stood.
15. Who does Franz blame for Rudi's disappearance?
(a) Captain Winter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are Saxo and Winter headed back to Broli?
2. For what was Frau Matt's prayer of thankfulness?
3. What made Franz angry?
4. What had changed about the night?
5. How was Rudi encouraged when he thought it was impossible to go any further?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)