|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What mountain did Rudy long to climb?
(a) The Wunderhorn.
(b) The Monte Rosa.
(c) The Rotalp.
(d) The Citadel.
2. Where was the voice coming from?
(a) One of the mountain slopes.
(b) Inside a crevasse.
(c) Behind him from the path.
(d) Behind him from the valley.
3. How long has the person been in the crevasse?
(a) Three hours.
(b) One hour.
(c) Two hours.
(d) A half hour.
4. What did Rudi know more of than any other guide in Kurtal?
(a) Hotel dishwashing.
(b) The approaches to the Citadel.
(c) How to climb without being seen.
(d) How to mountain climb.
5. Who is the last person that Teo raises his glass to?
(a) Emil Saxo.
(b) Franz Lerner.
(c) Frau Matt.
6. How did Rudi know his father's shirt had to be of high quality?
(a) The dye color had faded.
(b) The crimson dye hadn't faded.
(c) The cotton was still soft.
(d) The moths couldn't eat it.
7. What often happens in the high mountains?
(a) The ice becomes more treacherous at dawn.
(b) The ice starts to melt at dawn.
(c) Dawn brings warmth.
(d) Dawn doesn't bring warmth but increased cold.
8. How many dishes did Rudi break?
9. In what year does this story take place?
10. What did Teo tell the waitress?
(a) That Rudi was out on an errand.
(b) That Rudi was a good boy.
(c) That Rudi had gone to see his ailing mother.
(d) That Rudi was good for nothing in the kitchen.
11. What was Rudi's mother known for?
(a) The musical nature of her laugh.
(b) The delicateness of her build.
(c) Her compassion for the other townsfolk.
(d) The sweetness of her smile.
12. What was the difference in climbing the snow slope and climbing the ice?
(a) There was no sound on the snow slope.
(b) The snow slope was colder.
(c) The snow slope was less dangerous.
(d) The snow slope was more treacherous.
13. What had there never been in Kurtal?
(a) A burglary.
(b) A man as foolhardy as Captain Winter.
(c) A robbery.
(d) A crime.
14. What did the other boys of the village call Rudi?
(a) Nothing to his face.
(b) "Boy wonder".
(c) "Angel face".
(d) "Baby face".
15. What is the only nice thing that was said of Emil Saxo?
(a) He is honorable and decent.
(b) He is good to his Herr's and will take good care of Winter.
(c) He is smart and canny.
(d) He was the best of the guides in Broli.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Citadel make all the other mountains around it look like?
2. What color did Rudy want his face to be?
3. What was the peak of the Citadel hidden behind?
4. Why did Rudi's mother think that Rudi had gone with Franz?
5. For what reason did Rudi reclaim his stick?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)