|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Rudi want Winter speaking of his rescue?
(a) He doesn't want the attention from the townsfolk.
(b) His mother and uncle will hear and he'll get in trouble.
(c) He doesn't want to worry his mother.
(d) He is shy.
2. Why did Rudi venture out in another direction?
(a) He wanted to explore.
(b) He wanted to provide something for the day's climb.
(c) He wanted to see what was beyond the ledge.
(d) He had wanted the glory for himself.
3. What was Teo's last hike?
(a) Up the Wunderhorn.
(b) Up the Citadel.
(c) Up the Monte Rosa.
(d) Up the Rotalp.
4. How many days did it rain?
5. What time were the guides of Kurtal set to mobilize?
6. Why didn't Rudi's mother cry and cling to him?
(a) She didn't want to embarrass him.
(b) She wanted to treat him like a man, not as a boy.
(c) She wouldn't display that kind of emotion.
(d) It is what she had done with his father, and he had never come home.
7. What is the first thing Rudi tied to the staff?
(a) His jacket.
(b) His backpack.
(c) His pants.
(d) His shirt.
8. What had happened when they had reached the snow slope?
(a) An avalanche.
(b) Winter slipped and fell.
(c) Rudi slipped and fell.
(d) Saxo slipped and fell.
9. What didn't Captain Winter buy for Rudi?
(a) An ice ax.
(c) A knapsack.
10. What lie does Rudi tell Winter?
(a) He had no fear of the ascent.
(b) He was allowed to go and make the ascent of the Citadel.
(c) He wasn't in trouble and his uncle was letting him be a porter.
(d) His uncle wanted him to go in his stead.
11. What did Captain Winter remind Rudi of when he was climbing?
(a) A mountain lion.
(b) A jousting warrior.
(c) A cat.
(d) A man struggling with inanimate rock.
12. How did Rudi react to Captain Winters' story of his rescue?
(a) He was distraught.
(b) He was pleading.
(c) He was embarrassed.
(d) He was defiant.
13. Why was Rudi struggling under his burdens?
(a) It had gotten warmer.
(b) They were too heavy.
(c) He was carrying the heaviest load.
(d) He was weak.
14. What did Winter and Saxo spend the first hour in the hut doing?
(a) Dusting off the shelves.
(b) Replacing the moldy hay.
(c) Clearing out the cobwebs.
(d) Setting up camp.
15. Why does Winter volunteer to go after Rudi?
(a) He encouraged Franz to let him go.
(b) He is more able.
(c) He had given Rudi the gear.
(d) He is lighter.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people could stay in the Blausee Hut?
2. What was the difference in climbing the snow slope and climbing the ice?
3. What did the other boys of the village call Rudi?
4. What other village bordered the Citadel?
5. How many mountains did Franz climb in one week?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)