|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long has the person been in the crevasse?
(a) Three hours.
(b) A half hour.
(c) One hour.
(d) Two hours.
2. Why is Rudi employed as a dishwasher?
(a) His mother was jealous of his climbing abilities.
(b) His uncle promised him a scholarship if he stayed in business.
(c) His mother doesn't want him following his father to the grave.
(d) He didn't want to follow his father to the grave.
3. How many days did it rain?
4. What often happens in the high mountains?
(a) Dawn doesn't bring warmth but increased cold.
(b) The ice becomes more treacherous at dawn.
(c) The ice starts to melt at dawn.
(d) Dawn brings warmth.
5. How did Rudi move?
(a) Like a sleepwalker.
(b) As though his heart were gone from him.
(c) Like an invalid.
(d) Like a ghost.
6. Where is Captain Winter going?
(a) To Geneva.
(b) To Germany.
(c) To Greece.
(d) To Georgia.
7. What didn't Franz bring out for lunch?
8. What had Rudi never received before?
(a) A letter.
(b) Such praise from a man of Winter's capabilities.
(c) Such fine gifts.
(d) A written note.
9. How did the man fall in the crevasse?
(a) He was too busy looking at the mountain to watch where he was going.
(b) The snow had covered the crevasse.
(c) The ground had given way beneath him.
(d) He had jumped in a suicide attempt.
10. What was Teo's last hike?
(a) Up the Wunderhorn.
(b) Up the Monte Rosa.
(c) Up the Citadel.
(d) Up the Rotalp.
11. How long had the Citadel been left alone?
(a) Twenty years.
(b) Fourteen years.
(c) Fifteen years.
(d) Eighteen years.
12. What time were the guides of Kurtal set to mobilize?
13. What does Teo say abut Rudi?
(a) That he is the son of his father.
(b) All of these.
(c) That he is the only true mountain man in Kurtal.
(d) That he knows where he ought to be.
14. What job does Teo do?
15. Why didn't Saxo want Rudi coming along?
(a) He didn't want to be responsible for the boy.
(b) He thought Winter would favor him.
(c) He thought he would slow them down.
(d) He saw Rudi as a child.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was waiting in the hut when Rudi entered?
2. What did Winter and Saxo spend the first hour in the hut doing?
3. What did Teo say in regard to Rudi's climb with him?
4. Where was the voice coming from?
5. What was the difference in climbing the snow slope and climbing the ice?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)