|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much did Rudi's pack weigh?
(a) Twenty-five pounds.
(b) Fifteen pounds.
(c) Thirty pounds.
(d) Twenty pounds.
2. What does Captain Winter say that Rudi deserves?
(b) A reward.
(c) A chance.
(d) A porter's career.
3. What often happens in the high mountains?
(a) The ice becomes more treacherous at dawn.
(b) Dawn brings warmth.
(c) Dawn doesn't bring warmth but increased cold.
(d) The ice starts to melt at dawn.
4. How many mountains did Franz climb in one week?
5. Who did Rudi suspect was the shadowy figure?
(a) His mother.
(b) Josef Matt.
(d) Captain Winter.
6. What had happened when they had reached the snow slope?
(a) Winter slipped and fell.
(b) Saxo slipped and fell.
(c) An avalanche.
(d) Rudi slipped and fell.
7. Where did Teo tell Franz that Rudi was?
(a) Helping in another area of the Hotel.
(b) Up the mountain.
(c) Out getting more soap.
(d) At the market.
8. Why is Rudi employed as a dishwasher?
(a) His uncle promised him a scholarship if he stayed in business.
(b) His mother was jealous of his climbing abilities.
(c) His mother doesn't want him following his father to the grave.
(d) He didn't want to follow his father to the grave.
9. How does Franz comfort Frau Matt?
(a) He says that Rudi is a good climber and can do it.
(b) He tells her Rudi has only gone to the glaciers.
(c) He explains that he will bring Rudi back.
(d) He explains that Winter is the best climber he has ever seen.
10. What did the group take with them?
(a) Their packs.
(b) Cheese, sausage and chocolate.
(c) Extra sweaters.
(d) All their gear.
11. What had there never been in Kurtal?
(a) A man as foolhardy as Captain Winter.
(b) A robbery.
(c) A burglary.
(d) A crime.
12. What reward does Winter suggest that Rudi should get from them?
(a) They shouldn't be angry with him.
(b) They should let him be a porter.
(c) They should let him come as porter on the Wunderhorn.
(d) He should not be punished.
13. What was the highest honor a man could obtain?
(a) To be of service to a man in trouble.
(b) To maintain a steady job.
(c) To lead the tourists up the mountain.
(d) To be a member of the Company of Guides of Kurtal.
14. How many people could stay in the Blausee Hut?
15. Why didn't Rudi's mother cry and cling to him?
(a) It is what she had done with his father, and he had never come home.
(b) She wanted to treat him like a man, not as a boy.
(c) She didn't want to embarrass him.
(d) She wouldn't display that kind of emotion.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why didn't Rudi get his staff?
2. How many days did it take the rescue party to make it to Josef Matt?
3. What didn't Franz bring out for lunch?
4. What was the proprietor of the moving shadow?
5. What guide does Mr. Winter hope to hire from Broli?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)