|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What in the rock glittered like diamonds?
2. What had Rudi's tormentor seen?
(a) The praise Winter lavished on him.
(b) Rudi in all his glory setting out as a porter.
(c) Rudi achieving something.
(d) Rudi looking like a man.
3. What had changed in Rudi's lifetime?
(a) Rudi had promised he would never climb the Citadel.
(b) Rudi's father had died.
(c) The village had become a tourist attraction.
(d) The Citadel had been climbed.
4. Approximately how high is the top of the Wunderhorn?
(a) Twelve thousand feet.
(b) Eleven thousand feet.
(c) Thirteen thousand feet.
(d) Ten thousand feet.
5. What was the highest honor a man could obtain?
(a) To be a member of the Company of Guides of Kurtal.
(b) To be of service to a man in trouble.
(c) To maintain a steady job.
(d) To lead the tourists up the mountain.
6. Why was Rudi struggling under his burdens?
(a) He was carrying the heaviest load.
(b) It had gotten warmer.
(c) They were too heavy.
(d) He was weak.
7. Why is Rudi employed as a dishwasher?
(a) His mother was jealous of his climbing abilities.
(b) He didn't want to follow his father to the grave.
(c) His uncle promised him a scholarship if he stayed in business.
(d) His mother doesn't want him following his father to the grave.
8. What was the peak of the Citadel hidden behind?
(a) A large cloud.
(b) The peak of the Wunderhorn.
(c) A dense layer of mist.
(d) The shoulder of the Wunderhorn.
9. How did Rudi move?
(a) As though his heart were gone from him.
(b) Like a ghost.
(c) Like a sleepwalker.
(d) Like an invalid.
10. What reward does Winter suggest that Rudi should get from them?
(a) He should not be punished.
(b) They should let him come as porter on the Wunderhorn.
(c) They shouldn't be angry with him.
(d) They should let him be a porter.
11. What mountain did Rudy long to climb?
(a) The Monte Rosa.
(b) The Rotalp.
(c) The Citadel.
(d) The Wunderhorn.
12. What job does Teo do?
13. Who saw the three climb up the icefall?
(a) Frau Matt.
(d) The hotel owner.
14. What time were the guides of Kurtal set to mobilize?
15. Where is Captain Winter going?
(a) To Germany.
(b) To Greece.
(c) To Geneva.
(d) To Georgia.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the only sound?
2. Why doesn't Franz think that Rudi can be a porter?
3. How many mountains did Franz climb in one week?
4. How did Rudi react to Captain Winters' story of his rescue?
5. What time is Rudi supposed to meet Teo?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)