|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What often happens in the high mountains?
(a) Dawn brings warmth.
(b) The ice starts to melt at dawn.
(c) The ice becomes more treacherous at dawn.
(d) Dawn doesn't bring warmth but increased cold.
2. What time is Rudi supposed to meet Teo?
(b) Eight o'clock.
(c) Seven o'clock.
3. Why doesn't Rudi want Winter speaking of his rescue?
(a) He doesn't want the attention from the townsfolk.
(b) He is shy.
(c) He doesn't want to worry his mother.
(d) His mother and uncle will hear and he'll get in trouble.
4. How long had the Citadel been left alone?
(a) Twenty years.
(b) Eighteen years.
(c) Fifteen years.
(d) Fourteen years.
5. What time were the guides of Kurtal set to mobilize?
6. What was Teo's last hike?
(a) Up the Wunderhorn.
(b) Up the Citadel.
(c) Up the Monte Rosa.
(d) Up the Rotalp.
7. What was the greatest sin a mountaineer can commit?
(b) Making the employer risk his life to save his.
(c) Scouting ahead without telling anyone where he was going.
(d) Making others risk their lives to save his.
8. What suggested that Franz and the group would be the only ones on the Wunderhorn that day?
(a) Everyone had said the night before where they were going.
(b) No one else had stirred with them that morning.
(c) There was no one ahead nor behind them.
(d) Franz had booked the mountain path for Captain Winter and to train Rudi.
9. How old was Rudi's mother when Josef died?
10. What had Rudi's tormentor seen?
(a) Rudi achieving something.
(b) Rudi in all his glory setting out as a porter.
(c) The praise Winter lavished on him.
(d) Rudi looking like a man.
11. Why didn't Rudi's mother cry and cling to him?
(a) She wanted to treat him like a man, not as a boy.
(b) It is what she had done with his father, and he had never come home.
(c) She didn't want to embarrass him.
(d) She wouldn't display that kind of emotion.
12. How does Franz comfort Frau Matt?
(a) He says that Rudi is a good climber and can do it.
(b) He explains that he will bring Rudi back.
(c) He tells her Rudi has only gone to the glaciers.
(d) He explains that Winter is the best climber he has ever seen.
13. What happened to Rudi?
(a) He slipped and fell.
(b) His eyes closed without them meaning to.
(c) He hurt himself.
(d) He triggered an avalanche.
14. Why doesn't Franz think that Rudi can be a porter?
(a) He is careless.
(b) He's too small and irresponsible.
(c) He is accident prone.
(d) He is too small.
15. How many mountains did Franz climb in one week?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Captain Winter remind Rudi of when he was climbing?
2. What country did Rudi guess the man was from?
3. What was the only sound?
4. What was the highest honor a man could obtain?
5. What did Winter and Saxo spend the first hour in the hut doing?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)