|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why didn't Saxo want Rudi coming along?
(a) He thought he would slow them down.
(b) He thought Winter would favor him.
(c) He didn't want to be responsible for the boy.
(d) He saw Rudi as a child.
2. What did the other boys of the village call Rudi?
(a) "Boy wonder".
(b) "Angel face".
(c) Nothing to his face.
(d) "Baby face".
3. Where was the voice coming from?
(a) Behind him from the path.
(b) Inside a crevasse.
(c) Behind him from the valley.
(d) One of the mountain slopes.
4. Who was waiting in the hut when Rudi entered?
(a) Emil Saxo.
(b) Captain Winter.
(d) His mother.
5. What sound did Rudi make?
(a) A hissing of striking a match.
(b) A creak of a plank underfoot.
(c) A click of the lock being engaged.
(d) He dropped a boot.
6. Who saw the three climb up the icefall?
(b) The hotel owner.
(c) Frau Matt.
7. Who is the last person that Teo raises his glass to?
(b) Frau Matt.
(c) Emil Saxo.
(d) Franz Lerner.
8. What do the guides believe will destroy the Englishman and the guide from Broli?
(a) Their audacity.
(b) The treacherous climb.
(c) The ghosts of Rudi's father and his Herr.
(d) The demons of the Citadel.
9. How many mountains did Franz climb in one week?
10. Who does Teo first raise his beer to?
(c) Captain Winter.
(d) Emil Saxo.
11. How did Rudi know his father's shirt had to be of high quality?
(a) The crimson dye hadn't faded.
(b) The moths couldn't eat it.
(c) The cotton was still soft.
(d) The dye color had faded.
12. Why does Winter volunteer to go after Rudi?
(a) He is lighter.
(b) He encouraged Franz to let him go.
(c) He is more able.
(d) He had given Rudi the gear.
13. Why didn't Rudi's mother cry and cling to him?
(a) She wouldn't display that kind of emotion.
(b) She wanted to treat him like a man, not as a boy.
(c) It is what she had done with his father, and he had never come home.
(d) She didn't want to embarrass him.
14. What mountain did Rudy long to climb?
(a) The Wunderhorn.
(b) The Citadel.
(c) The Rotalp.
(d) The Monte Rosa.
15. Why doesn't Franz think that Rudi can be a porter?
(a) He is accident prone.
(b) He is too small.
(c) He's too small and irresponsible.
(d) He is careless.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Rudi place the staff?
2. Why didn't Rudi's father leave the Citadel?
3. Why was Rudi struggling under his burdens?
4. What was the proprietor of the moving shadow?
5. How did Rudi move?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)