|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Rudi's mother think that Rudi had gone with Franz?
(a) She expected him to stay safe, so she wouldn't worry.
(b) Rudi had told her that was where he was going.
(c) She assumed when he had not been at the hotel, that he was with Franz.
(d) Rudi had left her a note telling her not to worry.
2. Where did Teo tell Franz that Rudi was?
(a) Up the mountain.
(b) Out getting more soap.
(c) Helping in another area of the Hotel.
(d) At the market.
3. Why didn't Rudi's mother cry and cling to him?
(a) It is what she had done with his father, and he had never come home.
(b) She wanted to treat him like a man, not as a boy.
(c) She didn't want to embarrass him.
(d) She wouldn't display that kind of emotion.
4. Who does Teo first raise his beer to?
(a) Captain Winter.
(c) Emil Saxo.
5. What reward does Winter suggest that Rudi should get from them?
(a) They should let him come as porter on the Wunderhorn.
(b) They should let him be a porter.
(c) He should not be punished.
(d) They shouldn't be angry with him.
6. Which glacier did Rudi go up?
7. Who was waiting in the hut when Rudi entered?
(a) Captain Winter.
(b) Emil Saxo.
(d) His mother.
8. Why couldn't Winter and the group climb the rocks?
(a) The rocks looked loose and like they might give way.
(b) The snow looked more inviting.
(c) They were too steep.
(d) There was no acceptable purchase for feet and hands.
9. What country did Rudi guess the man was from?
10. What mountain was used as a "practice mountain" by guides and visiting climbers?
11. Why doesn't Franz think that Rudi can be a porter?
(a) He's too small and irresponsible.
(b) He is careless.
(c) He is accident prone.
(d) He is too small.
12. Who saw the three climb up the icefall?
(a) Frau Matt.
(d) The hotel owner.
13. How many mountains did Franz climb in one week?
14. What happened to Rudi?
(a) He slipped and fell.
(b) His eyes closed without them meaning to.
(c) He hurt himself.
(d) He triggered an avalanche.
15. Why did Rudi venture out in another direction?
(a) He had wanted the glory for himself.
(b) He wanted to see what was beyond the ledge.
(c) He wanted to explore.
(d) He wanted to provide something for the day's climb.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why didn't Rudi's father leave the Citadel?
2. What did Rudi know more of than any other guide in Kurtal?
3. Who is the "madman" that Franz is referring to?
4. What didn't Franz bring out for lunch?
5. What time were the guides of Kurtal set to mobilize?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)