|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long has the person been in the crevasse?
(a) One hour.
(b) Two hours.
(c) Three hours.
(d) A half hour.
2. What do the guides believe will destroy the Englishman and the guide from Broli?
(a) The treacherous climb.
(b) The demons of the Citadel.
(c) The ghosts of Rudi's father and his Herr.
(d) Their audacity.
3. Why couldn't Winter and the group climb the rocks?
(a) There was no acceptable purchase for feet and hands.
(b) The rocks looked loose and like they might give way.
(c) The snow looked more inviting.
(d) They were too steep.
4. What did the other boys of the village call Rudi?
(a) Nothing to his face.
(b) "Boy wonder".
(c) "Angel face".
(d) "Baby face".
5. What didn't Rudi take from the cupboard?
(b) Ice ax.
(c) The knapsack.
(d) Hiking boots.
6. What was the highest honor a man could obtain?
(a) To maintain a steady job.
(b) To be of service to a man in trouble.
(c) To lead the tourists up the mountain.
(d) To be a member of the Company of Guides of Kurtal.
7. What did Rudi know more of than any other guide in Kurtal?
(a) How to climb without being seen.
(b) How to mountain climb.
(c) Hotel dishwashing.
(d) The approaches to the Citadel.
8. What did Winter and Saxo spend the first hour in the hut doing?
(a) Replacing the moldy hay.
(b) Setting up camp.
(c) Clearing out the cobwebs.
(d) Dusting off the shelves.
9. In what kind of tree was Rudi's staff hidden?
(a) A cedar.
(b) An lodge-pole pine.
(c) A fir.
(d) A blue spruce.
10. How did Rudi react to Captain Winters' story of his rescue?
(a) He was defiant.
(b) He was embarrassed.
(c) He was distraught.
(d) He was pleading.
11. With what does Teo fill the pack he gives to Rudi?
(d) His own weight.
12. What didn't Franz bring out for lunch?
13. Why didn't Rudi's mother cry and cling to him?
(a) It is what she had done with his father, and he had never come home.
(b) She wanted to treat him like a man, not as a boy.
(c) She wouldn't display that kind of emotion.
(d) She didn't want to embarrass him.
14. Who did Rudi suspect was the shadowy figure?
(a) Josef Matt.
(c) Captain Winter.
(d) His mother.
15. Who was waiting in the hut when Rudi entered?
(b) His mother.
(c) Captain Winter.
(d) Emil Saxo.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Citadel make all the other mountains around it look like?
2. What sound did Rudi make?
3. Which glacier did Rudi go up?
4. How long had the Citadel been left alone?
5. To what stone did Rudi compare the man?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)