|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people does Yunus find in the village of Jobra that are in the same cycle of poverty like Sufiaya?
2. What do people need in order to borrow money from the government bank in Bangladesh?
3. As Yunus begins to define poverty, what does he discover is left out of most definitions of the poor?
4. Yunus's mother tells him the story of _____________.
5. As Yunus begins the loan program in Jobra village, who does he initially designate to collect the loan payments?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Yunus decide to return to Bangladesh?
2. What does Yunus do on behalf of Bengalis and Bangladesh after the country declares independence from Pakistan?
3. How does Yunus pay for the printing business he starts in the early 1960s?
4. How does Yunus describe his Bengali school?
5. What happens to Yunus's mother, Sofia?
6. What is happening in Yunus's homeland in 1971 while he is in America?
7. What does Yunus conclude is a fundamental problem of poverty?
8. What is a dadan arrangement?
9. What does the bank manager tell Yunus about developing a loan program for the poor?
10. What is the Grameen Bank Project in the District of Tangail?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss, using specific examples, what Yunus discovers as he begins to study the poor people in the village of Jobra.
Essay Topic 2
What classification does Yunus give to the levels of poverty, and how does he recommend the cycle of poverty be broken?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Yunus's criticism of the World Bank and compare their divergent efforts to help the poor people of the world.
This section contains 1,199 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)