|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What drags on for a very long time in Bangladesh in 1974?
2. What is the name of the capital city of Bangladesh?
3. Upon his return to Bangladesh, Yunus takes a position with the government's _________________.
4. How many Bengalis are in the Nashville area at the time that Yunus forms the Bangladesh Citizens' Committee?
5. What major war is going on while Yunus is getting his Ph.D. in America?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Yunus's mother, Sofia?
2. How does Yunus become involved with combating the famine that strikes Bangladesh in 1974?
3. How does Yunus pay for the printing business he starts in the early 1960s?
4. What influence does each of Yunus's parents have on him?
5. What does Yunus find rewarding about his work as he begins to develop the Grameen Bank?
6. How does Yunus describe his Bengali school?
7. What does Yunus discover about lending money to women?
8. What does Yunus do on behalf of Bengalis and Bangladesh after the country declares independence from Pakistan?
9. What did Yunus discover as he visited the poor villagers of Jobra?
10. What does the bank manager tell Yunus about developing a loan program for the poor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is Yunus weaving a "beautiful allegory" for the whole Grameen enterprise? Discuss fully, including discussion of the Grameen logo and what it represents.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Yunus's criticism of the World Bank and compare their divergent efforts to help the poor people of the world.
Essay Topic 3
Describe three specific ways Muhammad Yunus is influenced by his mother.
This section contains 1,220 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)