|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What year does Yunus return to Bangladesh after teaching in Tennessee?
2. What are mahajons in Bangladesh?
3. In what year was the Bangladesh War of Liberation?
4. What is the current interest rate for Grameen loans?
5. Yunus's mother tells him the story of _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What surprise does Yunus find in the final agreement from the government to help the Grameen Bank in 1983?
2. What role does Yunus believe the government should have in combating poverty?
3. How does Yunus rate the success of the Grameen programs as he looks back on the first two decades?
4. What does Yunus discover about lending money to women?
5. Who helps Yunus get his loan program started?
6. What is Yunus's view of how to end poverty in the world?
7. What does Yunus conclude is a fundamental problem of poverty?
8. What is a dadan arrangement?
9. Why does the Grameen Bank insist loans must be repaid even in the event of a disaster?
10. What problems does Yunus encounter with the U.S. welfare system?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss, using specific examples, what Yunus discovers as he begins to study the poor people in the village of Jobra.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Grameen Bank's early success and its process of expanding into the Tangail District.
Essay Topic 3
Yunus believes that keeping the dignity of the borrower is imperative to the success of any loan program. Discuss how Grameen has stayed true to its original intent of helping the poor without damaging their dignity. Cite specific examples.
This section contains 1,643 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)