|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the Prime Minister of Bangladesh call during the launching ceremony of GrameenPhone?
(a) Prime minister of Norway.
(b) President of the United States.
(c) Govenor of Arkansas.
(d) Prime minister of Great Britian.
2. As Yunus looks back on the success of Grameen Bank, how many of its borrowers are women?
(a) 75 percent.
(b) 88 percent.
(c) 67 percent.
(d) 95 percent.
3. What do the words mean in title of the program, Ahon Sa Hirop, started by Dr. Generoso Octavio?
(a) Rise above poverty.
(b) A rise from the dirt.
(c) A rise from the Ashes.
(d) Away from poverty.
4. What is one of the hardest years ever for Grameen on many fronts?
5. In Bangladesh in 1991, Grameen members come out in great numbers to do what?
6. Yunus has a new definition of an entrepreneur who is what?
(a) Political reformer.
(b) Resource allocator.
(c) Driven by greed.
(d) Socially conscious.
7. Who is the American co-chair of the first Microcredit Summit?
(a) Hillary Rodham Clinton.
(b) Jimmy Carter.
(c) Bill Clinton.
(d) Laura Bush.
8. What is the source of power for the cellular phones in the villages of Bangladesh?
(b) Wind turbines.
(d) Solar energy.
9. Which of the following is NOT a problem encountered by the Grameen fisheries project?
(a) Government oposition.
(b) Leftist militant oposition.
(c) Natural disasters.
(d) Complete failure of the project.
10. In over two decades of existence, how many years does Grameen Bank not turn a profit?
11. How many children around the world die each day from hunger-related diseases?
(a) 3 million.
12. When Yunus approaches community leaders in Chicago, they argue that self-employment is a ___________ concept.
13. What is the name of Grameen's quarterly newsletter?
(a) Grameen Dialogue.
(b) The Grameen Reader.
(c) Banker to the Poor.
(d) Microcredit News.
14. As GrameenPhone is launched, Bangladesh has one phone per _______ inhabitants.
15. Under the traditional orthodoxy of economics, all investment money is locked into what category?
(a) Social reformation.
(b) Government profit.
(c) Personal profit.
(d) Resource allocation.
Short Answer Questions
1. By March 2003, how many "telephone ladies" does GrameenPhone have selling phone services in villages?
2. The first Microcredit Summit was held in what year?
3. What organization in Chicago starts the Full Circle Fund?
4. The program in Pine Bluff, Arkansas is changed from the Grameen Fund to the ___________.
5. Critics often argue that ____________ does not contribute to the economic development of a country.
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)