|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Yunus believes one of the best ways to alleviate poverty is to encourage __________________.
(a) Social entrepreneurs.
(b) Women's rights.
(c) World Bank programs.
(d) UN aid organizations.
2. Critics often argue that ____________ does not contribute to the economic development of a country.
(a) Free enterprise.
(c) Political freedom.
3. Bangladesh is approximately the size of ______________.
4. What does the first volunteer who raises her hand in Pine Bluff, Arkansas tell Yunus she wants a loan for?
(a) Sewing machine.
(b) Childcare license.
(c) Nail scultping box.
(d) Push cart.
5. How much grant money does Grameen receive through the World Bank CGAP program?
(a) $3 billion.
(b) $98 million.
(c) $2 million.
(d) $30 million.
6. What is the source of power for the cellular phones in the villages of Bangladesh?
(c) Wind turbines.
(d) Solar energy.
7. How many children around the world die each day from hunger-related diseases?
(b) 3 million.
8. An independent investigator finds what percentage of CARD members use their loans for income-generating activities?
(a) 27 percent.
(b) 97 percent.
(c) 4 percent.
(d) 70 percent.
9. How many countries operate Grameen-style micro-credit programs by the end of the book?
10. What international aid agency is Yunus particularly critical of?
(b) Habitat for Humanity.
(c) World Bank.
(d) United Nations.
11. As GrameenPhone is launched, Bangladesh has one phone per _______ inhabitants.
12. Grameen is considered by many in Bangladesh to be the enemy of ______________.
(a) Free markets.
(b) The revolution.
(c) Free trade.
(d) The poor.
13. The program in Pine Bluff, Arkansas is changed from the Grameen Fund to the ___________.
(a) Good Faith Fund.
(b) Good Works Fund.
(c) Free Money Fund.
(d) Free Help Fund.
14. In Bangladesh in 1991, Grameen members come out in great numbers to do what?
15. Simply by being a shareholder in the Grameen Bank, members receive what?
(b) Loan insurance.
(d) Pension funds.
Short Answer Questions
1. Grameen develops ____ indicators to determine if members are poverty free.
2. The goal of the first Microcredit Summit is to reach 100 million of the poorest families in the world in _____ years.
3. Who is the American co-chair of the first Microcredit Summit?
4. Yunus believes that the welfare laws in the U.S. makes recipients ________________.
5. The first Microcredit Summit was held in what year?
This section contains 355 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)