|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Professor David Gibbons teaching when he meets Yunus at a conference near Dhaka?
2. Like many Bengalis of his generation, Yunus is influenced by what kind of economics?
3. In what year does Grameen receive a cellular phone license?
4. When does Yunus tell Governor Clinton that he can start a Grameen program in Arkansas?
(a) The next month.
(b) Six months.
(c) The next day.
(d) One year.
5. What percentage of the world's population live in extreme poverty?
6. UN studies conducted in more than forty developing countries found that the birth rate falls as _______________.
(a) Governments limit family size.
(b) Women are kept submissive.
(c) Women gain equality.
(d) Men gain wealth.
7. How many ponds does the fisheries project consist of by 1988?
8. What is one of the hardest years ever for Grameen on many fronts?
9. Critics often argue that ____________ does not contribute to the economic development of a country.
(c) Free enterprise.
(d) Political freedom.
10. Yunus stresses in his speech that the Microcredit Summit is not what?
(a) A fundraising event.
(b) A historical event.
(c) A significant agent of change.
(d) A think tank.
11. How much grant money does Grameen receive through the World Bank CGAP program?
(a) $30 million.
(b) $2 million.
(c) $3 billion.
(d) $98 million.
12. What is the name of Grameen's quarterly newsletter?
(a) Grameen Dialogue.
(b) Microcredit News.
(c) Banker to the Poor.
(d) The Grameen Reader.
13. An independent investigator finds the average rate of return for CARD borrowers is what?
(a) 117 percent.
(b) 97 percent.
(c) 78 percent.
(d) 18 percent.
14. An independent investigator finds what percentage of CARD members use their loans for income-generating activities?
(a) 97 percent.
(b) 27 percent.
(c) 70 percent.
(d) 4 percent.
15. In many Third World countries, the overwhelming majority of people make their living through what?
(b) Government assistance.
(c) Aid from international relief organizations.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jan Piercy is Hillary Rodham Clinton's ____________.
2. Yunus would define development by focusing on the quality of life for what part of the population?
3. The Grameen replication program called the Landless People's Fund of the Center for Agriculture and Rural Development is established in which country?
4. There is a long tradition of what craft that was once in high demand in Bangladesh?
5. Who does the Lakota Fund in South Dakota help?
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)