|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year does Grameen receive a cellular phone license?
2. In what year does Grameen loan its one billionth dollar?
3. Grameen Bank provides housing loans at what interest rate?
(a) 8 percent.
(b) 20 percent.
(c) 10 percent.
(d) 5 percent.
4. What do the words mean in title of the program, Ahon Sa Hirop, started by Dr. Generoso Octavio?
(a) Rise above poverty.
(b) Away from poverty.
(c) A rise from the Ashes.
(d) A rise from the dirt.
5. An independent investigator finds what percentage of CARD members use their loans for income-generating activities?
(a) 70 percent.
(b) 97 percent.
(c) 4 percent.
(d) 27 percent.
6. How many total branches does the Grameen Bank have by the end of the book?
(a) 1 million.
7. How many ponds does the fisheries project consist of by 1988?
8. What is the source of power for the cellular phones in the villages of Bangladesh?
(b) Wind turbines.
(c) Solar energy.
9. How many women are required for a Full Circle Fund group to begin borrowing?
10. What is the purpose of the non-profit Grameen Shakti?
(a) Developing sources of renewable energy.
(b) Developing literacy programs.
(c) Providing clean water.
(d) Providing health care.
11. In many Third World countries, the overwhelming majority of people make their living through what?
(a) Government assistance.
(b) Aid from international relief organizations.
12. Yunus believes one of the best ways to alleviate poverty is to encourage __________________.
(a) UN aid organizations.
(b) World Bank programs.
(c) Women's rights.
(d) Social entrepreneurs.
13. Yunus estimates that Internet use worldwide is __________ every year.
(c) Growing insignificantly.
14. Where is Professor David Gibbons teaching when he meets Yunus at a conference near Dhaka?
15. Grameen is considered by many in Bangladesh to be the enemy of ______________.
(a) Free markets.
(b) Free trade.
(c) The poor.
(d) The revolution.
Short Answer Questions
1. An independent investigator finds the average rate of return for CARD borrowers is what?
2. By the end of the book, what percentage of Grameen Bank does Bangladeshi government own?
3. From where does Grameen receive helpful media coverage in March 1990?
4. What year does Professor Gibbons launch the Grameen replicator program called Project Ikhtiar?
5. The Grameen replication program called the Landless People's Fund of the Center for Agriculture and Rural Development is established in which country?
This section contains 379 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)