|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of business does Yunus begin in the early 1960s?
(a) A bank.
(b) Packaging and printing plant.
(c) Shoe factory.
(d) An economics program for children.
2. As Yunus begins his university study, he finds that economists rarely reflect on the origin and development of ___________.
3. What is the name of the Boy Scout leader who had a strong influence on Yunus?
(a) Ibrahim Sahib.
(b) Quazi Sirajul Huq.
(c) Dula Mia.
(d) Bashid Shindhu.
4. By 1982, Grameen Bank has grown from 500 members to ______________.
5. What does the government bank manager say is the biggest problem with loaning money to the poor people of Bangladesh?
(a) Loan documents.
(b) Government permission.
(c) Worthy enterprises.
(d) Available funds.
6. Upon his return to Bangladesh, Yunus takes a position with the government's _________________.
(a) Banking system.
(b) Planning Commission.
(c) Ruling party.
7. What is the name of the brother that attended the Lamar Bazar Free Primary School with Yunus?
8. How many Bengalis are in the Nashville area at the time that Yunus forms the Bangladesh Citizens' Committee?
9. How many branches does the Grameen Bank open each year throughout the 1980s?
10. Where is the opening ceremony for the Grameen Bank held?
11. As Yunus begins to define poverty, what does he discover is left out of most definitions of the poor?
(a) Women and children.
(b) Farm workers.
(c) The homeless.
(d) The elderly.
12. What is the name of Yunus's first wife?
13. In the world of development, Yunus believes that programs combine the poor and non-poor to the benefit of whom?
(c) Aid agencies.
14. Yunus's father is a devout __________.
15. What kind of business does Yunus's father have?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the famous economics professor, Nicholas Georgescu-Roegen from?
2. Yunus's mother tells him the story of _____________.
3. When Yunus begins to teach at Chittagong University, what does he notice as he drives from his father's house every day?
4. How much does the bamboo cost that Sufiaya Begum has to buy to make her stools?
5. Which of the following is NOT a reason for the success of the loan support groups within Yunus's program?
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)