Chapter 1, Number 20 Boxirhat Road, Chittagong
• The book opens with Muhammad Yunus describing the port city of Chittagong, the largest port in Bangladesh and the place where the author grows up.
• Yunus introduces both of his parents in this first chapter. His father, Dula Mia, is a devout Muslim who is lenient with his children, but insists they perform their school work. His mother is the disciplinarian of the family and it is from her that Yunus learns to be compassionate to the poor.
• Yunus is seven in 1947 during the fighting of the Pakistan Movement.
• Even though their family has many Hindu friends, his parents are in favor of partition.
• Yunus attends high school at Chittagong Collegiate School and supports himself, in part, by winning the Competitive Scholarship Examination which gives him a monthly stipend.
• Yunus also develops an interest in painting and is active in the Boy Scouts...
This section contains 1,631 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)