|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Katie say she wants to go to dinner with Henry privately in Chapter 12?
2. Which object does Goose shoot in Chapter 16 to find out if there are bullets in the gun?
3. Which position did Red play before retiring?
4. Who is sending Bruce false letters from the insurance company?
5. What are the players doing differently as a result of discovering Bruce's illness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Harris uses various techniques in the story's narration.
1) Explain the styles of dialogue that are used and how they add to the effectiveness of the narrative and the characters.
2) Describe three examples of how Henry speaks directly to the reader as if he were not a fictional character.
3) Compare Henry's narration of certain characters with his opinion of them.
4) Analyze how the line between fiction and reality is blurred in the book and why.
Essay Topic 2
While Henry is away from home, he and Holly use creativity to communicate with each other.
1) Compare the technology in the 1950s to current times and discuss which aspects of it are mentioned in the story.
2) Describe three examples of how creativity is used in the book to compensate for technology that had not yet been developed.
3) Analyze the role of technology in the settings for a fictional work.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how the issue of intelligence is approached by Harris in the book and the message he is delivering about it. Include an analysis of the different types of intelligence and the way they are applied to specific characters.
This section contains 1,223 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)