|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is sending Bruce false letters from the insurance company?
2. Why is Dutch not at the practice in Chapter 14?
3. What day is it when Chapter 14 begins?
4. What idea does Henry get after the baby is born?
5. What is the name of the person that Henry is talking to in the elevator in Chapter 14?
Short Essay Questions
1. What surprises does Bruce receive to celebrate his birthday?
2. What happens when Katie takes Henry, Holly, and Bruce to dinner in Chapter 10?
3. Which actions does Dutch take in an attempt to fix some of the Mammoth's problems?
4. How does Dutch finally discover the truth about Bruce's condition in Chapter 14?
5. Why is the doctor delayed at getting to Bruce in Chapter 11, and how does Henry find out that Horse also knows about Bruce's condition?
6. What is significant about the games of Tegwar Bruce is playing in Chapter 13?
7. When does Bruce leave the team to go back home?
8. Why is Henry hesitant to change Bruce's insurance policy?
9. Why is Sid disappointed about the celebration from the night before in Chapter 16?
10. What happens after a rained out game when Bruce goes to the hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Henry and Bruce visit the small town of Mill, Georgia as Bruce shows Henry where he spent his childhood.
1) Describe the characteristics of the small town of Mill, Georgia, and life in the country.
2) Explain how life in the country compares to life in the city, and if the comparison is also relevant to Bruce and Henry.
3) Analyze how Henry and Bruce each view the way of living in Mill, Georgia, and locations in general.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Henry and Katie, their intentions, the influence they both have on Bruce, and their opposition to each other in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Bang the Drum Slowly is preceded by the book, Southpaw, which was also written by Harris in Henry's narrative.
1) Describe three examples of how Southpaw is referenced in the book.
2) Explain why the character introductions in Bang the Drum Slowly are different than other fictional works.
3) Analyze the effect that a previous book with the same characters can have on the writing of fiction.
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)