|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Henry inadvertently tell about Bruce's condition in Chapter 9?
2. How long after the attack is Bruce's birthday?
3. Who tells Dutch about Bruce's condition?
4. How long after the party is the game that the team loses in Chapter 16?
5. Besides catching, which other aspect of the game does Red teach Bruce?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the reasons for why the popularity of Bang the Drum Slowly has been maintained for a number of decades, how the main themes of the book can be applied to people universally, and the effect that the book might have had on the game of baseball.
Essay Topic 2
Harris uses various techniques in the story's narration.
1) Explain the styles of dialogue that are used and how they add to the effectiveness of the narrative and the characters.
2) Describe three examples of how Henry speaks directly to the reader as if he were not a fictional character.
3) Compare Henry's narration of certain characters with his opinion of them.
4) Analyze how the line between fiction and reality is blurred in the book and why.
Essay Topic 3
Some of the strongest elements of Bang the Drum Slowly are the inspiring effects of the story.
1) Explain why people would be inspired by reading the book.
2) Describe three events that are inspiring from the story.
3) Analyze the powerful effect that literature can have on the reader and which elements make a fictional work the most inspiring.
This section contains 1,176 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)