|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who informs Henry that Bruce has passed away?
2. How does Bruce respond to the passing of his mother?
3. Who is sending Bruce false letters from the insurance company?
4. Which type of a song are other players making up about Katie?
5. What disappoints Henry about Bruce's funeral?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Henry when he learns that Holly is having the baby, and how does it inspire him?
2. Who selects the flowers to send to the funeral for Bruce's mother, and why?
3. What influence does Red's coaching have on the team?
4. What does Dutch do when he finally discovers Bruce's condition in Chapter 14?
5. Despite having a good season, what are some of the problems that the Mammoths are having in Chapter 9?
6. Why is it particularly significant that Henry chews tobacco with Bruce?
7. What happens when Katie takes Henry, Holly, and Bruce to dinner in Chapter 10?
8. Which actions does Dutch take in an attempt to fix some of the Mammoth's problems?
9. Who is Mr. Rogers and which information does he have?
10. Why is the doctor delayed at getting to Bruce in Chapter 11, and how does Henry find out that Horse also knows about Bruce's condition?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the reasons for why the popularity of Bang the Drum Slowly has been maintained for a number of decades, how the main themes of the book can be applied to people universally, and the effect that the book might have had on the game of baseball.
Essay Topic 2
Chronicle Bruce's life as it is outlined in the book, including the events he details and the change in perspective that he has because of his condition.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how the issue of intelligence is approached by Harris in the book and the message he is delivering about it. Include an analysis of the different types of intelligence and the way they are applied to specific characters.
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)