|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many players know about Bruce's illness at the end of Chapter 13?
2. What day is it when Chapter 14 begins?
3. How long after the attack is Bruce's birthday?
4. What is Bruce doing in the hospital when he is visited by Henry and the coaches on the day after his last game?
5. Which name does Katie use to refer to Bruce in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the players complaining about time, and how does Bruce respond to their complaints?
2. Why is the doctor delayed at getting to Bruce in Chapter 11, and how does Henry find out that Horse also knows about Bruce's condition?
3. Who selects the flowers to send to the funeral for Bruce's mother, and why?
4. What decision does Henry make about life at the end of the book?
5. What is significant about the games of Tegwar Bruce is playing in Chapter 13?
6. Despite having a good season, what are some of the problems that the Mammoths are having in Chapter 9?
7. Where is Henry when he learns that Holly is having the baby, and how does it inspire him?
8. Why is Henry hesitant to change Bruce's insurance policy?
9. What is Bruce's reaction to the passing of his mother?
10. What is the difference in the way several players are treating Bruce since knowing about his illness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The concept of time is a theme of the book that has the ability to connect with readers on multiple levels.
1) Describe three of the references to time in the book along with their context.
2) Explain how time is unintentionally taken for granted by some people.
3) Analyze the concept of time for Bruce and the characters around him.
Essay Topic 2
Henry and Bruce visit the small town of Mill, Georgia as Bruce shows Henry where he spent his childhood.
1) Describe the characteristics of the small town of Mill, Georgia, and life in the country.
2) Explain how life in the country compares to life in the city, and if the comparison is also relevant to Bruce and Henry.
3) Analyze how Henry and Bruce each view the way of living in Mill, Georgia, and locations in general.
Essay Topic 3
Bang the Drum Slowly is preceded by the book, Southpaw, which was also written by Harris in Henry's narrative.
1) Describe three examples of how Southpaw is referenced in the book.
2) Explain why the character introductions in Bang the Drum Slowly are different than other fictional works.
3) Analyze the effect that a previous book with the same characters can have on the writing of fiction.
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)