|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is playing Tegwar with Bruce in Chapter 13?
2. How does Katie threaten Henry in Chapter 12?
3. Why is Sid outraged with the party that he was not informed about at the end of Chapter 16?
4. Which of the players are drinking during the party in Chapter 16?
5. Which month does Henry receive the phone call that Bruce has passed away?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Henry hesitant to change Bruce's insurance policy?
2. What decision does Henry make about life at the end of the book?
3. Despite having a good season, what are some of the problems that the Mammoths are having in Chapter 9?
4. How does Goose find out about Bruce's illness?
5. How is the title of the book explained in Chapter 15?
6. Where is Henry when he learns that Holly is having the baby, and how does it inspire him?
7. Why is the doctor delayed at getting to Bruce in Chapter 11, and how does Henry find out that Horse also knows about Bruce's condition?
8. Which actions does Dutch take in an attempt to fix some of the Mammoth's problems?
9. What is the difference in the way several players are treating Bruce since knowing about his illness?
10. How does Dutch finally discover the truth about Bruce's condition in Chapter 14?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze three examples of symbolism in Bang the Drum Slowly. Include a description of each symbol, how it appears in the book, and what it represents for the characters and/or the plot.
Essay Topic 2
Bang the Drum Slowly is preceded by the book, Southpaw, which was also written by Harris in Henry's narrative.
1) Describe three examples of how Southpaw is referenced in the book.
2) Explain why the character introductions in Bang the Drum Slowly are different than other fictional works.
3) Analyze the effect that a previous book with the same characters can have on the writing of fiction.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Henry and Katie, their intentions, the influence they both have on Bruce, and their opposition to each other in the book.
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)