|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Sid taking out his anger on?
2. Where are Henry, Bruce, and Sid when Henry notices that Sid knows about Bruce's condition?
3. What day is it when Chapter 14 begins?
4. How many games is the team playing in Boston in Chapter 17?
5. When does Henry get home after hearing that Holly is in labor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about the games of Tegwar Bruce is playing in Chapter 13?
2. What influence does Red's coaching have on the team?
3. What causes Bruce to ask Henry to change his insurance policy?
4. Why are the players complaining about time, and how does Bruce respond to their complaints?
5. How does Dutch finally discover the truth about Bruce's condition in Chapter 14?
6. What does Dutch do when he finally discovers Bruce's condition in Chapter 14?
7. How does Goose find out about Bruce's illness?
8. Why is Henry hesitant to change Bruce's insurance policy?
9. How is the title of the book explained in Chapter 15?
10. What is Bruce's reaction to the passing of his mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Henry's opinion of Bruce changes after he discovers the seriousness of his illness.
1) Describe how Henry refers to Bruce before learning about his illness.
2) Explain the significance of Henry's reaction to the doctors when they inform him about Bruce's condition.
3) Analyze the change in the way Henry views Bruce after he understands the extent of the illness.
Essay Topic 2
In literature, actual events are sometimes referenced in order to make the story seem more realistic.
1) Explain three examples of real events that are mentioned in the book.
2) Describe how the technical side of baseball is included in the book, and how you think baseball fans and people who do not know as much about the game would respond to it.
3) Analyze the literary reasons for real events in a fictional story.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use of foreshadowing in literature, by detailing three examples from Bang the Drum Slowly.
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)