|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As explained in Chapter 9, who is responsible for the success of the team?
2. What is the name of the person that Henry is talking to in the elevator in Chapter 14?
3. When does Henry get home after hearing that Holly is in labor?
4. Who does Henry inadvertently tell about Bruce's condition in Chapter 9?
5. What idea does Henry get after the baby is born?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which reasons does Henry have for rejecting Katie's offer again, and what causes the detectives to visit Henry's room later at a celebration?
2. What influence does Red's coaching have on the team?
3. Why is Sid disappointed about the celebration from the night before in Chapter 16?
4. What is Bruce's reaction to the passing of his mother?
5. What surprises the announcers during a game in Chapter 17?
6. How does Henry respond to Katie's threat and offer in Chapter 12?
7. What causes Bruce to ask Henry to change his insurance policy?
8. What happens after a rained out game when Bruce goes to the hospital?
9. How does Dutch finally discover the truth about Bruce's condition in Chapter 14?
10. Despite having a good season, what are some of the problems that the Mammoths are having in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how the issue of intelligence is approached by Harris in the book and the message he is delivering about it. Include an analysis of the different types of intelligence and the way they are applied to specific characters.
Essay Topic 2
Chronicle Bruce's life as it is outlined in the book, including the events he details and the change in perspective that he has because of his condition.
Essay Topic 3
Bruce's illness demonstrates how a crisis can often bring out the best in even the most unlikely characters.
1) Describe the reaction of the other players on the team to Bruce's illness.
2) Explain which characters change the most and why the change could be considered surprising.
3) Analyze how a tragic situation can bring out the best in people in life.
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)