|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In baseball, which does Bruce like better, hitting or catching?
2. What is the name of the detective that Dutch introduces to Henry?
3. What type of trick is one of the players doing at the party in Chapter 16?
4. Which name does Katie use to refer to Bruce in Chapter 10?
5. How many games is the team playing in Boston in Chapter 17?
Essay Topic 1
Chronicle Bruce's life as it is outlined in the book, including the events he details and the change in perspective that he has because of his condition.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how the issue of intelligence is approached by Harris in the book and the message he is delivering about it. Include an analysis of the different types of intelligence and the way they are applied to specific characters.
Essay Topic 3
Harris uses various techniques in the story's narration.
1) Explain the styles of dialogue that are used and how they add to the effectiveness of the narrative and the characters.
2) Describe three examples of how Henry speaks directly to the reader as if he were not a fictional character.
3) Compare Henry's narration of certain characters with his opinion of them.
4) Analyze how the line between fiction and reality is blurred in the book and why.
This section contains 1,183 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)