|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Besides his cowboy attire, which musical instrument does Piney have with him in Chapter 15?
2. Who is Sid taking out his anger on?
3. Who pays for the expensive dinner in Chapter 10?
4. What is Bruce doing in the hospital when he is visited by Henry and the coaches on the day after his last game?
5. What does Dutch claim is the reason for the change in the team's playing?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Henry and Katie, their intentions, the influence they both have on Bruce, and their opposition to each other in the book.
Essay Topic 2
In literature, actual events are sometimes referenced in order to make the story seem more realistic.
1) Explain three examples of real events that are mentioned in the book.
2) Describe how the technical side of baseball is included in the book, and how you think baseball fans and people who do not know as much about the game would respond to it.
3) Analyze the literary reasons for real events in a fictional story.
Essay Topic 3
While Henry is away from home, he and Holly use creativity to communicate with each other.
1) Compare the technology in the 1950s to current times and discuss which aspects of it are mentioned in the story.
2) Describe three examples of how creativity is used in the book to compensate for technology that had not yet been developed.
3) Analyze the role of technology in the settings for a fictional work.
This section contains 1,198 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)