|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Henry inadvertently tell about Bruce's condition in Chapter 9?
2. How long after the attack is Bruce's birthday?
3. Who tells Dutch about Bruce's condition?
4. How long after the party is the game that the team loses in Chapter 16?
5. Besides catching, which other aspect of the game does Red teach Bruce?
Essay Topic 1
While Henry is away from home, he and Holly use creativity to communicate with each other.
1) Compare the technology in the 1950s to current times and discuss which aspects of it are mentioned in the story.
2) Describe three examples of how creativity is used in the book to compensate for technology that had not yet been developed.
3) Analyze the role of technology in the settings for a fictional work.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the contrast in subject matter and tone of Henry's narrative in Chapter 1 as the main characters are introduced. Also, provide an analysis of how the serious storyline is presented through the lighter thought process of Henry.
Essay Topic 3
In literature, actual events are sometimes referenced in order to make the story seem more realistic.
1) Explain three examples of real events that are mentioned in the book.
2) Describe how the technical side of baseball is included in the book, and how you think baseball fans and people who do not know as much about the game would respond to it.
3) Analyze the literary reasons for real events in a fictional story.
This section contains 1,176 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)