|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Henry thinking about at the end of Chapter 3?
2. How does Bruce respond to the team's decision to keep him?
3. How does Bruce respond to Henry's decision to leave the game in Chapter 8?
4. Based on the positive reaction from a previous book, what does Henry plan to include in the current book he is writing?
5. How does Holly react to Henry's joking when he tells her about Bruce's condition?
Short Essay Questions
1. What caused Bruce to join and leave World War II?
2. How did Bruce start playing for the Mammoths?
3. How does Henry convince Bruce that he is not dumb?
4. What plans for the book does Henry discuss in Chapter 6?
5. What does Henry do when he and Bruce are temporarily separated while touring?
6. How do Henry and Bruce respond to the contracts they receive in Chapter 4?
7. What does Henry do as he hears the phone ringing in Chapter 1?
8. What happens when Bruce steals a base?
9. What is Tegwar?
10. Why are Henry and Bruce concerned about other members of the team knowing of Bruce's illness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In literature, actual events are sometimes referenced in order to make the story seem more realistic.
1) Explain three examples of real events that are mentioned in the book.
2) Describe how the technical side of baseball is included in the book, and how you think baseball fans and people who do not know as much about the game would respond to it.
3) Analyze the literary reasons for real events in a fictional story.
Essay Topic 2
While Henry is away from home, he and Holly use creativity to communicate with each other.
1) Compare the technology in the 1950s to current times and discuss which aspects of it are mentioned in the story.
2) Describe three examples of how creativity is used in the book to compensate for technology that had not yet been developed.
3) Analyze the role of technology in the settings for a fictional work.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use of foreshadowing in literature, by detailing three examples from Bang the Drum Slowly.
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)