Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Henry typically sell insurance to?
2. What decision does Henry make about Bruce's illness in Chapter 2?
3. What causes Henry to think that Bruce's father knows about his condition?
4. Which reference does Henry make in order to convince Bruce that he is not stupid?
5. What causes Dutch to agree to the clause that Henry insists on including in his contract?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Bruce's condition causing him to think about things differently in Chapter 4?
2. How does Dutch finally discover the truth about Bruce's condition in Chapter 14?
3. What is Tegwar?
4. How is the team doing with the new coaching and awareness of Bruce's condition?
5. What plans for the book does Henry discuss in Chapter 6?
6. What happens when Katie takes Henry, Holly, and Bruce to dinner in Chapter 10?
7. Who selects the flowers to send to the funeral for Bruce's mother, and why?
8. Which question does Dutch repeatedly ask Bruce, and why?
9. Who is Katie and why does she call Henry?
10. Why is the doctor delayed at getting to Bruce in Chapter 11, and how does Henry find out that Horse also knows about Bruce's condition?
Essay Topic 1
Harris uses various techniques in the story's narration.
1) Explain the styles of dialogue that are used and how they add to the effectiveness of the narrative and the characters.
2) Describe three examples of how Henry speaks directly to the reader as if he were not a fictional character.
3) Compare Henry's narration of certain characters with his opinion of them.
4) Analyze how the line between fiction and reality is blurred in the book and why.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the reasons for why the popularity of Bang the Drum Slowly has been maintained for a number of decades, how the main themes of the book can be applied to people universally, and the effect that the book might have had on the game of baseball.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Henry and Katie, their intentions, the influence they both have on Bruce, and their opposition to each other in the book.
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)