|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name does Bruce call Henry during the phone call in Chapter 1?
2. Where do Henry and Katie meet to talk about Bruce's condition?
3. What is Dutch's reaction to Bruce's explanation of why he stole the base?
4. What is it about Henry's story that Dutch discusses with him on the train?
5. What causes Henry to leave the game of Tegwar in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Henry and Bruce respond to the contracts they receive in Chapter 4?
2. Which activities is Henry doing while he waits for his contract negotiations in Chapter 5?
3. How does Henry respond to the information that the doctors are telling him at the end of Chapter 1?
4. What does Henry do when he and Bruce are temporarily separated while touring?
5. Why does Henry think that Bruce's father knows about Bruce's condition?
6. What plans for the book does Henry discuss in Chapter 6?
7. How did Bruce start playing for the Mammoths?
8. What side note does Henry make before leaving in Chapter 1?
9. Why does Henry leave a game of Tegwar in Chapter 8?
10. Where are Henry and Bruce going in Chapter 2, and what do they talk about on the trip?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Chronicle Bruce's life as it is outlined in the book, including the events he details and the change in perspective that he has because of his condition.
Essay Topic 2
Henry and Bruce visit the small town of Mill, Georgia as Bruce shows Henry where he spent his childhood.
1) Describe the characteristics of the small town of Mill, Georgia, and life in the country.
2) Explain how life in the country compares to life in the city, and if the comparison is also relevant to Bruce and Henry.
3) Analyze how Henry and Bruce each view the way of living in Mill, Georgia, and locations in general.
Essay Topic 3
Bang the Drum Slowly ends with Henry's decision to live life with new priorities.
1) Describe the changes that have taken place in Henry throughout the book.
2) Explain how Bruce has caused Henry to understand which things are really important in his life.
3) Analyze the new outlook that Henry has on life and the future.
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)