|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Henry's initial reaction to what the doctors tell him about Bruce in Chapter 1?
2. Who is wondering why Bruce is being played in the games?
3. How does Holly react to Henry's joking when he tells her about Bruce's condition?
4. What does Bruce think will happen if Dutch knows about his condition?
5. Where does Bruce seem to know a lot about nature?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Henry and Bruce concerned about other members of the team knowing of Bruce's illness?
2. How does Henry convince Bruce that he is not dumb?
3. What happens on Henry's trip to Rochester?
4. What is Tegwar?
5. Where are Henry and Bruce going in Chapter 2, and what do they talk about on the trip?
6. Who is Katie and why does she call Henry?
7. What clause does Henry insist be included in his contract?
8. How do Henry and Bruce respond to the contracts they receive in Chapter 4?
9. How does Dutch respond to Henry's contract negotiating?
10. Why does Henry think that Bruce's father knows about Bruce's condition?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze three examples of symbolism in Bang the Drum Slowly. Include a description of each symbol, how it appears in the book, and what it represents for the characters and/or the plot.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Henry and Katie, their intentions, the influence they both have on Bruce, and their opposition to each other in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Bang the Drum Slowly ends with Henry's decision to live life with new priorities.
1) Describe the changes that have taken place in Henry throughout the book.
2) Explain how Bruce has caused Henry to understand which things are really important in his life.
3) Analyze the new outlook that Henry has on life and the future.
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)