|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many baseball seasons did Bruce play in college?
2. How long does the group wait for the mail each morning in Chapter 4?
3. In what way does the group read and discuss each piece of mail in Chapter 4?
4. Where does Holly leave to go back home as the baseball touring begins?
5. What is Dutch's reaction to Bruce's explanation of why he stole the base?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Bruce's condition causing him to think about things differently in Chapter 4?
2. What caused Bruce to join and leave World War II?
3. What is Henry reminded of when Holly visits in Chapter 4?
4. What happens when Bruce steals a base?
5. What happens on Henry's trip to Rochester?
6. Which types of employment does Henry have as the story begins?
7. How did Bruce start playing for the Mammoths?
8. How do Henry and Holly communicate while he is traveling with Bruce?
9. Why does Henry leave a game of Tegwar in Chapter 8?
10. What plans for the book does Henry discuss in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Henry and Katie, their intentions, the influence they both have on Bruce, and their opposition to each other in the book.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze three examples of symbolism in Bang the Drum Slowly. Include a description of each symbol, how it appears in the book, and what it represents for the characters and/or the plot.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the contrast in subject matter and tone of Henry's narrative in Chapter 1 as the main characters are introduced. Also, provide an analysis of how the serious storyline is presented through the lighter thought process of Henry.
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)