|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many months has Holly been pregnant when Henry leaves for the hospital in Chapter 1?
2. Why does Henry refuse to sign his baseball contract in Chapter 4?
(a) He thinks the schedule is too extensive.
(b) He thinks the wages are too low.
(c) He is waiting to show it to a lawyer.
(d) He does not want to play in that many games.
3. What does Bruce tell his parents when they ask about the news from Minnesota?
(a) He says there is nothing wrong with him.
(b) He says they think he might have a curable disease.
(c) He says they are unsure what is wrong with him.
(d) He says that more tests are needed.
4. What causes Henry to think that Bruce's father knows about his condition?
(a) The amount of money he is willing to give during a game.
(b) He saw him reading the medical letter.
(c) He saw the telegram from the hospital.
(d) Specific things he says in conversation.
5. What is the name of the operator that Henry and Bruce are concerned will hear their conversations?
6. Which of the following aspects of the country life amazes Henry in Chapter 4?
(a) The lack of clocks.
(b) The abundance of food.
(c) The feeling of independence.
(d) The topics of conversation.
7. According to the story that Henry tells Dutch, why did he and Bruce go to Bruce's parents' house?
(a) To visit Bruce's parents.
(b) To get away from the city.
(c) To help Bruce's parents with farm work.
(d) To go hunting.
8. What happens to Bruce after he surrenders in the War?
(a) He is sent home.
(b) He is transferred to another military base.
(c) He is reassigned to another country.
(d) He is given a new assignment.
9. Different from the earlier location given in the book, which of these is actually Bruce's hometown?
(a) Mill Creek, Georgia.
(b) Mill Station, Georgia.
(c) Millsboro, Georgia.
(d) Mill, Georgia.
10. Where does Henry have coffee with the stewardess in Chapter 1?
(b) Fort Wayne.
11. What is the main thing that Sid is known for thinking about?
(a) His batting average.
(b) The hitting techniques of other players.
(c) The batting averages of other players.
(d) His hitting technique.
12. What do the letters of the game, Tegwar, stand for?
(a) The Exciting Game With Added Rules.
(b) The Elaborate Game Without Any Rules.
(c) The Elaborate Game Without Added Rules.
(d) The Exciting Game Without Any Rules.
13. How are Henry and Bruce separated during the tour while playing baseball?
(a) For weeks at a time.
(c) For months at a time.
14. What reason does Henry provide to Dutch for going to Minnesota?
(a) To meet with another coach.
(b) To sell insurance.
(c) To take another course on selling insurance.
(d) To visit a friend.
15. Which of the following surprises Henry about Bruce as they are driving?
(a) He is laughing.
(b) He is singing.
(c) He is singing, joking, and laughing.
(d) He is joking.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many games each day does Bruce play with an amateur league?
2. Who does Henry typically sell insurance to?
3. What does Bruce think will happen if Dutch knows about his condition?
4. What is Henry's initial reaction to what the doctors tell him about Bruce in Chapter 1?
5. What is Dutch's reaction to Bruce's explanation of why he stole the base?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)