|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bruce think will happen if Dutch knows about his condition?
(a) He will be fired.
(b) He will not be able to play.
(c) He will be suspended.
(d) He will be given a raise.
2. As Henry is reminded at the end of Chapter 4, when did Bruce visit their apartment frequently?
(a) Earlier that year.
(b) Two years ago.
(c) The previous year.
(d) Several years before.
3. How does Dutch react to the clause that Henry insists on including in his contract?
(a) He is angry.
(b) He is offended.
(c) He is confused.
(d) He is ambivalent.
4. How many doctors inform Henry of Bruce's condition in Chapter 1?
(a) A few.
5. Besides selling insurance and playing baseball, what does Henry do?
(a) He is writing a novel, but does not have a publisher.
(b) He writes for a sports magazine.
(c) He writes a sports column for a newspaper.
(d) He is writing a novel that will be published.
6. In what way does the group read and discuss each piece of mail in Chapter 4?
7. What does Henry keep track of when he and Bruce are separated?
(a) The medical letter about Bruce's condition.
(b) The numbers of several doctors.
(c) The name and number of Bruce's doctor.
(d) The notes from Bruce's doctor.
8. Which one of the following is not mentioned as something that Henry does while waiting for his contract negotiation?
(a) Playing badminton.
(b) Lounging on the beach.
(c) Practicing his pitching.
(d) Having games of Tegwar.
9. What is it about Henry's story that Dutch discusses with him on the train?
(a) The lack of details.
(b) The inconsistencies.
(c) The lack of evidence.
(d) The complexities.
10. Which of the following surprises Henry about Bruce as they are driving?
(a) He is singing, joking, and laughing.
(b) He is laughing.
(c) He is singing.
(d) He is joking.
11. According to the story that Henry tells Dutch, why did he and Bruce go to Bruce's parents' house?
(a) To help Bruce's parents with farm work.
(b) To go hunting.
(c) To get away from the city.
(d) To visit Bruce's parents.
12. Which day does Henry receive the phone call in Chapter 1?
13. Why is Dutch outraged about Bruce's successful attempt at stealing a base?
(a) He could have been injured.
(b) He used a new sliding technique.
(c) He did it without instruction.
(d) He did it even though he was instructed not to.
14. What title is Henry given as he begins playing baseball again?
(a) Pitching Captain.
(b) Team Representative.
(c) Team Captain.
(d) Player Representative.
15. How does Holly react to Henry's joking when he tells her about Bruce's condition?
(a) She is confused.
(b) She is surprised.
(c) She is appalled.
(d) She is angry.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Bruce fight in World War II?
2. What name does Bruce call Henry during the phone call in Chapter 1?
3. What causes Dutch to agree to the clause that Henry insists on including in his contract?
4. Where is the hospital in which Bruce is staying?
5. How is the team doing as the season officially opens?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)